Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center

201 Waterfront St, Prince Georgeâ??s County, Oxon Hill, Maryland, 20745, United States
Expedia.com Gaylord Hotels Booking.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

More about Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center

Stay away if you have a choice

by TripAdvisor Member johndoe09

I don't normally write reviews, but my experience was so terrible I felt compelled to warn others. I had similar issues as other reviewers (bad service, no maid service,etc..). We stayed at the Gaylord national resort in Maryland for a company meeting. Normally, the Gaylord resorts are amazing in both quality and service. This location however was terrible! The maids did not show up one day, and when we tried calling the front desk we could not reach anyone several times? When we finally did get someone, the clean towels we requested never showed up. The SPA although nicely decorated was way more expensive than even normal resort prices. You expect to pay more for spa services at a resort, but there prices are insane. $305.00 for a 80 minute massage, and a 20% “hotel charge” is also tacked on. That does not include any tip you would give. A manicure was $105 plus the 20% hotel charge. Service at the restaurants inside the hotel was terrible, lunch took around 2 hours to complete!! Supposedly you get two “Free” waters each day which we also never received.

Do not stay here if you have a choice. And if you do, bring a book to pass the time while at restaurants, and a boat load of cash.

National Harbor

by Ewingjr98

National Harbor is the massive, brand new waterfront shopping and entertainment district along the Potomac just outside of the DC Beltway. The 300 acre complex opened in 2008 after some two billion dollars of investment and a decade of planning. The facility resembles a tiny six or eight block main street area of a city with its hotels, restaurants, retail stores, condominiums, marina, convention center, and commercial offices. The Gaylord Hotel and Resort dominates the site, and is now the largest non-casino hotel and convention center on the east coast.

Why is all this stuff built here, rather than in one of the blighted area of DC? Who knows! Who cares? Probably cheap land, good access from the beltway, and less government bureaucracy interference.

In the near future the National Children’s Museum will also have a home at National Harbor, alongside the statue called "The Awakening" that used to stand at Hains Point.

First-class hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member travelgirl2022

Congratulations to Gaylord! The National is another wonderful property in typical Gaylord fashion, and something Washington, DC, needed!! The location is very convenient and directions to the main entrance are well marked and extremely easy to follow from the highways to its elegant entrance. The new community of National Harbor is still under construction; however, the Gaylord National's operation is in full swing. We spent two nights in luxury at this fine hotel! Our room had a balcony overlooking the atrium, which in itself is an experience!

As soon as we approached the hotel, we felt we were heading for something special! The warm hospitality was immediately evident. The friendly staff is welcoming and eager to please. Valet parking is available and efficiently executed. The reception area is very elegant and ample. Check-in occurred quickly. Bell service was prompt and the attendant explained the amenities available to guests.

Our room with a balcony, overlooking the atrium was tastefully decorated and immaculate. We slept comfortably and felt quite pampered throughout our stay.

The Gaylord National has much to offer to its guests. There are a number of fine restaurants, several shops and areas in the atrium that one can enjoy and relax in. The top to bottom glass windows offer a breathtaking view of the Potomac river with dock right outside of the hotel. After a busy day, we particularly enjoyed a seat on our balcony while watching the fountain in the atrium perform to pleasant music and lights every hour on the hour. We did not stay there long enough to use all this fine facility has to offer.

Our check-out experience was as efficient and pleasant as our arrival. There were several lines at the reception area, but additional staff was added quickly to assist the guests.

We certainly recommend Gaylord National to the traveler visiting our Nation's capital. Again, the hotel's location is perfect. Public transportation, if needed, is available directly from National Harbor.

This hotel is first class all the way, and an asset to the D.C. area for the business person or tourist. In our opinion, the Gaylord National will remain the flagship property at National Harbor, MD, once the area is completely developed. We will definitely be back and highly recommend Gaylord National to anyone who is planning a stay in that area for whatever reason!!!

Awful, awful, awful.

by TripAdvisor Member trueepicure

Terrible service, and absolutely no customer service at all. My husband and the rest of his fellow board members were embarrassed that they hosted their conference at this hotel. What was wrong?

*3.5 hours for dinner - not our choice!
*mediocre restaurants for $30+ a person
*various reports from board members of:
mice in the rooms
missing bathmats and other basic accessories
a room with NO furniture at ALL.

That's just a sample of our weekend. I heard the conference facilities were good, but the hotel side was completely abysmal.

The chances of my ever staying there again

Hated It - stay ANYWHERE else

by TripAdvisor Member mack505

We attended a conference here and it was the worst hotel experience of my life. It is pretty, but that's all it has going for it. Located in the middle of nowhere, with nice views but no surrounding infrastructure yet.

Our stay started badly when the valet gave me an attitude because I wanted to self-park. ($19/day, BTW, but still cheaper than the valet.)

For the insane rate, we got a below-average size room with two queen beds and only one chair. Crowded for three people. The customer service continued to be dreadful, taking 2 1/2 hours and 5 phone calls to get extra pillows delivered for my daughter. They also messed up the reservation, initially trying to put three of us in a room with a single King bed, despite requesting 2 Queens. Rooms missing simple amenities like water glasses; they did give us a couple paper cups for the coffee maker.

Food is overpriced: $3.50 for a Coca-Cola at the coffee shop, $32.00 for buffet dinner.

Poor service continued during the conference, requiring multiple requests of the staff for simple meal items such as bread or drinks. (We never did get the drinks.)

If I ever attend another conference here, I'll stay at the competition's hotel directly across the street. This place is just not ready for prime time.

Still a bumpy ride

by TripAdvisor Member 4Luvmy2

I stayed there while at a conference for 3,000 people 2 weeks after they opened. That said, they were experiencing the problems that you would expect from a new hotel or this size

Rooms weren't finished, construction was still going on, the pool wasn't opened and I heard tales of people who didn't have electricity in certain parts of their room or even mice!

Given my experience with other Gaylord hotels, I expect that it will be a great property in about 6 - 8 months. The location is nice on the water, but nothing else around it is opened, so you can't shop or dine outside of the hotel without taking a cab ride into DC.

Horrible - worst hotel experience ever

by TripAdvisor Member JJ_Stark

As other guests who have actually stayed here have said...this hotel is horrible. Our room has not been cleaned in two days. The toliet has backed up into the shower 3 times already. I am still waiting for the fresh towels I called about yesterday and it's 10pm. The worst thing...I have been gone at a conference for the past 12 hours and when I came up to my room the door was open. When I called security they told me that since nothing appeared to be stolen all they can do is inform housekeeping to be more careful closing the door next time. The prices are outrageous...$3.50 for a cookie and $14 for a plate of fruit. I will never stay here again. For a hotel that has only been open for 3 weeks I am shocked at the wallpaper outside my room already peeling off and the handles on the drawers also coming off. Please be warned...the location is nice but the service, rooms, and even the security borderline on negligent.

Less impressive than they clearly hope it will be

by TripAdvisor Member MC_Bos

Stayed here for a very large (3,000+) person conference of nonprofits.

While I didn't see any rodents, we talked to people who had seen mice, so that problem is clearly not solved.

The rooms were fine, but the beds were soft, which is bad if you have a bad back (as I do). Further, the sound-proofing is so non-existent that two mornings in a row, I was awoken by the alarm going off in the person's room next door. And, it wasn't that the alarm was set that high, you could just hear *everything* from room-to-room, and from the hallways. I certainly didn't feel they were worth the $313/night we were paying (including tax).

If you have a room that faces the atrium, on one of the lower floors (I was on 4), be prepared for a lot of noise to filter up from the atrium.

Amenities were modest, and house-keeping was slow and careless (didn't replace items that had been used up, e.g.). My door didn't close properly unless you pulled hard; something I heard others experienced as well. If you called for service, staff were very pleasant and seemed eager to help, so that was a plus.

The overall location is far from complete and there is nothing to do in the immediate surrounding area. The on-premise food sources (a couple restaurants and one cafe) were completely overwhelmed much of the time (very long lines) and very, very expensive.

Meeting rooms were no better or worse than those at most conference type facilities, and did experience odd lighting issues (lights suddenly flickering or dimming and then rebrightening).

At this point, I could not recommend this facility either as a vacation or conference destination. Perhaps in a year or so, when the other properties and attractions in the National Harbor are complete this would be more enjoyable.

Don't Confuse New and Big With Good

by TripAdvisor Member Skishells

This is a huge, new resort on the banks of the Potomac across from Alexandria. Despite the luxury rate of $280/night, service is very poor. More distressing is that none of the employees seem to care about that. The temperature in our room cycled continuously between too warm and too cold. The bathroom door could not be shut, and this was not fixed during our stay despite the fact that we asked to have it fixed twice. When glasses are provided in the room at all, they are plastic. On one day, we received no maid service at all, and we were challenged about what exactly we needed when we called to request service. On another day, the maid ignored the do not disturb sign and woke us up to service the room before 8 am. The room was small. There was only one towel ring. There was no clock radio in the room. There was no express check out service. Service in the restaurants was also poor - there seemed to be lots of employees who were in no hurry to wait on customers.

Fine luxury hotel -- overpriced

by TripAdvisor Member kjff

This hotel lists itself as in National Harbor, MD. It's on the Potomac in a very pleasant setting.across from Alexandria, VA. Water taxi to Alexandria is about a 20 minute ride, which on weekday rush hours is a whole lot faster than the nearby Woodrow Wilson bridge.

The hotel is a luxury conference center and was open just one month when I stayed there. so everything was clean and sparklling. Service is excellent and, although it is huge (1500 rooms), there were no long lines like you can experience at the Gaylord Opryland.

Beautiful room, some look out on the river, some on nearby buildings and half on the inner courtyard. The appointments were very nice, including a room safe that can hold a laptop computer, in-room wired Internet, wireless in lobby, and a coffee maker that isn't mentioned on the website. Positive note -- the TV remote includes a Sleep feature (why don't all hotels have that?!). Negative note -- for $280 a night (conference rate) + parking, couldn't I get real glasses and real cups and not foam plastic?

This is called a resort hotel but I don't know what you'd do besides eat, stroll the river bank and watch the dancing waters fountain. There will be some luxury stores opening nearby but for now there are a few stores in the hotel.

Certainly not a place for kids although there is a nearby sign saying future home of National Children's Museum. This will be situated in a what is a whole new community being built -- 2 other hotels, condos restaurants, marina.

All in all, excellent for a conference center. I wouldn't pay this cost with my money and I'd prefer to stay in town. This is approx 10 miles from town and a $25 + tip cab ride.

National Harbor Hotels

by hochner

I would like to attend a convention in National Harbor in the spring. Are there any reasonably-priced hotels there? I've found approx. 5 on the internet but all seem to be quite high priced. My conference is taking place at the Gaylord National hotel.

Thanks!