16810 Piney Point Road, Piney Point, Maryland, United States
Orbitz.com Hotels.com Booking.com

More about Piney Point

A nearby osprey guards her nestA nearby osprey guards her nest

A bugeye and skipjack, used for oysteringA bugeye and skipjack, used for oystering

The boathouseThe boathouse

Exhibit on the US Coast GuardExhibit on the US Coast Guard

Travel Tips for Piney Point

Bell Tower

by grandmaR

!n 1880, a bell tower was built next to the lighthouse. Bells were used as a warning in fog when mariners might not be able to see the light. The bell was replaced in 1936 with a reed horn (foghorn). The tower was severely damaged in a storm, and afterwards was dismantled, although the outline can still be seen on the west side of the lighthouse.

Stairway to the top

by grandmaR

Originally I thought I would not climb the lighthouse. I could have done so as it was open to climb. However the space inside at the top is limited. By the time I changed my mind about it, there was a long line waiting (photo 3). So I went to stand in line, but it was too long for me to stand. They let me sit at the bottom of the tower and I took a picture looking up. Then Bob was getting impatient, so I left before I got to climb and went home.

Water Tours

by grandmaR

When we were there for the annual open house, there were boat tours available. But when the grounds are open, pier and docking facilities are available.

The grounds of the Piney Point Lighthouse Museum and Park are open sunrise to sunset 7 days a week. Nothing is available here except the dock.

No No No

by grandmaR

This is the old Stewart Petroleum plant where barges of gasoline are brought in and loaded and unloaded. The pipeline (photo 2) from the former Stewart Petroleum runs along the point north of the Piney Point lighthouse, and the access to this area is prohibited. That and the trees that have been allowed to grow up between the lighthouse and the Potomac mean that the lighthouse is barely visible from the river (photo 4).

Comments