24500 Rolles Range Road, Saint Michaels, Maryland, 21663, United States
Booking.com Priceline.com

More about George Brooks House B&B

Loved the George Brooks House

If you are visiting beautiful St. Michaels, Maryland, I highly recommend the George Brooks House. The rooms are very true to the period of the house and everything is top quality (sheets, towels, food, etc.). The decorating is worthy of a magazine layout. Will, the owner, is a terrific host. The little extras (candy, supply of complimentary drinks, specially made soaps, etc.) were very appreciated. Our group of 8 friends had numerous varied places to congregate and have fun. We look forward to returning next year for another get-together of friends in a very relaxing and beautiful home away from home.

Inadequate Room & Breakfast at George Brooks House Did Not Meet Expectations!

Place your room booking here with extreme caution. (We did wonder why it was so easy for us to place late reservations for 2 rooms during the last busy weekend of the summer at St. Michaels Island. Now we know).

The three of us stayed at the George Brooks House while attending the Arts Festival on August 27. The art show turned out to be a wonderfully popular event. In contrast, our lodging experience at the George Brooks House was disappointingly lacking in terms of overall quality. The inn simply did not meet our expectations or its own pricing rates; which, we consider, seem to be priced at levels higher than their actual room value. Our two rooms were much, much smaller in size than what the George Brooks House web site photography seem to despict. Both rooms certainly indeed had that certain contemporary look as shown - but the "dated" decor grew tiresome quickly. The hardwood flooring in the rooms were dusty and in dire need of cleaning. Bath towel quality was not as advertized.

The continental breakfast was so "light" and uninspired, that we decided to eat more breakfast elsewhere. (We should have asked very specific questions about their breakfast menu items).

Other aspects that annoyed us during our stay: odd plumbing noises could be heard while in one of our rooms (the "clunking" noise seemed to come from a downstairs powder room), a VCR/TV remote control was missing its battery, and the parking lot area outside was "pitch black" and dark during both nights. Needless to say, we spent as much time as we could away from the rather depressing George Brooks House Inn that weekend. As we attended the Arts Festival at Perry Cabin Inn and toured St. Michaels Island, we couldn't help but notice that there is quite a variety of historic lodging establishments around town. We plan to attend next year's festival; therefore, we used more caution and placed advance room reservations at a quaintly authentic inn.

Depends What You Are Looking For in a B & B

The B&B is nice, beautifully decorated, and immaculate, but it really depends on what you are looking for when you stay at a B & B. My wife and I are particularly looking for an extremely personal experience and the tastes of the chef or cook. At the George Brooks House we didn't feel like we got these 2 things on staying there. Will the owner was pleasant and helpful prior to being there but, washing his cars and enjoying the hot tub at the B & B that he told guests wasn't working. He is not a terribly personable. And the breakfast was pretty much continental - mini muffins and Lenders bagels. The B& B was clean, but again it really depends why you are going there.

NOTE: If you get the restaurant gift certificate, skip the chesapeake landing restaurant. Rubber lobster anyone?

Strong on ambience, weak on substance

I have to agree with the previous reviewer that the Brooks House is mixed in what it offers. First, it is in a quiet, private location outside the town of St. Michaels. One feels free to wander about and do what they like at the property. The pool and hot tub were excellent. There is a nice big poolside patio area with cold water and beers available, but there seemed to be no snacks around for guests. Bikes are available for riding around the town and region. The house has been lovingly restored.

Rooms are pretty and feature antique reproductions and tasteful decor. Robes, towels and high-quality linens are offered. At least in our room, the bathroom was crammed although this is an old house and there probably just isn't space. The bed, although apparently pretty new, was uncomfortable and uneven, and my partner and I kept rolling towards the middle into a sink hole all night.

I agree with the earlier reviewer that the breakfast was miniscule. If indeed the State of Maryland has imposed tough regulations on hot-food service at B&B's it would seem the owner could compensate in other ways for this. One can do very creative things with cold breakfast provisions with some effort. Breakfast as is amounted to a slice of pastry, coffee or tea, diced fruit, and a choice of cold cereal and toast or a bagel with cream cheese. I can get this fare at Motel 6. Also this is a big house with several guest rooms and it probably would be wiser to have more than one person tending to breakfast in the morning. Like noted elsewhere, the owner is courteous, but seems disconnected from guests and spent a lot of time in his hobby garage working on his boats and other projects.

I travel a lot for work and fun, and have stayed at a lot of B&Bs throughout the US, Canada, and Europe. The Brooks house is ok; I've stayed at better and worse. The Brooks house tends to fall in the better category overall, but at over $200 with tax a night I would have expected it to fall in the top of the better category. Also, generally noteworthy is the two-night minimum stay that all of the B&B's in the St Michaels area seem to impose, which is a scam. But then again resort areas tend to get away with such policies.

Owners distracted - wonder if their heart is in it?

My wife and I stayed there in July, 2005. While the property is very beautiful, it was the little things that made us wonder if $195/night, 2 night minimum stay, was really worth it.

When we got to our room, there was a hand written card from the cleaning lady saying that she was from a South American country and any tip would be greatly appreciated. I am a Cuban businessman in Washington DC, and I found this offensive, especially since the card was written in perfect English.

The bed was OK, but one side was higher than the other. We asked the owner what local places were around for soft shell crabs, and he told us about the ussual tourist attractions. We had to find the restaurants that the locals went to on our own. He also failed to tell us that the main road would be closed for a county parade.

The pool and hot tub were wonderful, but the music piped into this area was left on past 11pm. Even though the guests had left by 10pm, there was no way to lower or turn off the public stereo system. Until this went off, it kept us awake.

Breakfast was a big disappointment. Coffee, bread, toast, and cold cereal were only offered. One B&B in the area that we stayed last year had fresh fruit in melon halves and homemade pastries. Again, for $195 per night, I would have expected more.

It's the attention to detail that makes a memorable experience. This just didn't live up to our expectations based on the rate.

Won't be back

by TripAdvisor Member Beatrice1603

I had rather high expectations for the George Brooks Inn when I arrived. I should have heeded the negative reviews that some other unlucky guests had posted on this site.

When we first arrived we were told that we could not park where I had just stopped the vehicle. Not "Hi" or "Would you mind moving over there?" but, "You need to move. You're blocking the driveway." From who? No one else appeared to arrive or depart that evening.

No one helped us to carry in our bags, but they did inform us that we couldn't have the room we had reserved - the air conditioning was broken. The room we were taken to was nice, but not as nice as the one we had asked for.

We discovered several things about our substitute room. It was right next to the side door of the house. We could hear everyone going in and out. At 7:30 Tuesday morning the innkeeper started going in and out, in and out, slamming the door. This continued for an hour before my boyfriend finally asked him to stop. The shower in the bothroom was a walk in and a five minute shower produced enough water to flood the bathroom and the hardwood floor in the bedroom. The TV remote had dead batteries, and the filter in the air vent was so clogged with dust and dirt that even with the thermostat set at a "meat locker" level the room was still hot. We kindly asked the innkeeper to clean the filter - which he did.

We also had a nice little note waiting for us in the bedroom. It was signed by the maid. She informed us that she had put clean sheets on the bed, and clean towels in the bathroom. I was wondering if she expected us to be impressed by this. She also informed us that she sent her tips to her family in Mexico. We didn't really like the guilt-trip aspect of this.

At one point the innkeeper banged on the bedroom door and then immediately tried to open it. Unfortunately, we weren't quite dressed at the time. My scream prevented the innkeeper from entering. He thought we weren't there, he said.

The outdoor kitchenette, with free beer, soft drinks, water, and ice was very nice. The ants crawling all over it, however, were disgusting.

I appreciated the English muffin one of the employees made me for breakfast our first morning. I did not appreciate her throwing it at me, on a paper plate, while she was talking on the phone.

The height of rudeness was asking us to pay right away - and not offering a discount for the inferior room. The innkeeper dissapeared so we never did pay the first day, but my boyfriend was accousted again the next morning at breakfast. I don't know why he needed to be paid immediately - he had a credit card number.

Overall, it would be a nice B&B, if the hosts had more manners, and the rooms were better designed and maintained. A nice breakfast would also help.

We ate at the Inn at Perry Cabin one evening, and were so impressed by the restaurant and wait staff that we have decided to stay at that establishment if we visit St. Michaels again.

Can't Wait for Next Visit

by TripAdvisor Member rcleach2

We spent a couple of nights last week for the second august in a row. We had a great time, and the room we stayed in was perfect. I only regret that we didn't spend more time around the pool, but the room was too comfortable and the DVD library was too impressive. All that needs to be done now is for the Maryland State Government to overturn the silly legislation requiring commercial kitchens for a full breakfast in B&Bs. Thanks for the hospitality, Will.

A wedding anniversary treat

A real wedding anniversary treat.....

Rooms were beautifully decorated and comfortable and the TV/VCR was an unexpected bonus. The private bath is an added convenience and also wonderfully appointed and the terry robes were an additional treat. The English garden setting for the pool and hot tub was breath-taking. We particularly enjoyed the smells and sounds of breakfast being prepared. The full breakfast was tasty and nicely presented. Pre-breakfast coffee and pastry was a nice touch.

Two activities were included in the package. The skipjack voyage with Captain Wade was memorable and the museum experience was well worth our afternoon.

Restful Weekend in St. Michaels

We spent a wonderfully relaxing and quiet weekend at the George Brooks in October. This was our second time (the first was to attend a business retreat, which they handled very well).

Particularly appreciated were the sightseeing and restaurant recommendations from the inn keeper. We had little time to prepare for this trip, so this information was most helpful. (The Shore--what a great dining experience.)

The weather at night was poor when we visited, so the diverse DVD collection came in very handy.

We'll be back.

Best in town

This was a fun and romantic weekend for us. The town was friendly the B&B was terrific with a great host who was a terrific cook. We loved the privacy and the respect of this non intrusive host. The house was clean the decdorating was true to the period of the home. The extent of the remodeling of this old historic home made our heads spin. We love old homes and this was a true gem. We commend the owner for his desire to respect history and the beauty that was inherent to the home. We recommend anyone with a true interest in fine bed and breakfast to enjoy a visit to St Michaels George Brooks home. Mary & John

Comments