Solomons Island Hotels

Our Members Say

• zebragate profile photo zebragate
  • Reviews: 1

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Holiday Inn Solomons Island: Worst Hotel Experience I've Ever Had

From my personal experience, this place should be avoided at all costs and the word should be spread about how awful this place is. My friend was having her wedding reception here, not to mention that the bridal party, groomsmen, friends and family were ALL staying at this place. I could go on and on about this (there were several incidences that happened that my friend is actually hiring legal counsel to consider suing them), but here are just a few key points so that you don't make the same mistake -

The outside of the hotel (the whole front and the main entrance) had massive construction going on. Management did not let my friend know that this was gonna happen at the time of her wedding reception, and if she had known, she never would have booked with them. They knew this and purposely his it from her...and then when she started to ask about it (because the whole front looked disgusting with huge dumpsters and trash everywhere)...they immediately had a defensive and hostile attitude.

Jeff Shepherd is the incompetent manager. The bride approached him in a calm and professional manner and he responded to her questions with "that's not my problem, no one else has cared about the appearance, don't talk to me anymore, you're preventing me from doing my job" and things all in that line of behavior. I have never encountered such a rude individual in my LIFE, much less in a place of business that he's allegedly running. He walked away several times and made my friend seem like she was being stupid and irrational. The whole time, he was getting more and more upset, by his own fault, while my friend was calmly stating her concerns. Basically, he ignored her, walked away, told her someone else was going to deal with her, and then disappeared. He outright refused to give her his business card and hid when we walked by his office. HAHAHA. What a silly little man. He sent his little lackies, who were dumber than rocks, to do his bidding (which was nothing)- and when he did show up, he slammed down his business card on the desk, even though my friend was holding her hand out, and then walked away.

Let's continue - the shower in the bathroom that we received for the night intermittently went from scalding to freezing. It was so hot that it burned. Not kidding.

The smoke detector was hanging off the hinges in the room.

The next day - wedding day, the bride's grandfather was left out in the cold because the alternate entrance being used (due to the construction at the front) was not handicap accesible and no one was there to open it.

The woman staff member who was supposed to meet with the bride, in between getting her hair and make up done on her wedding day, was 3 hours late, wouldn't answer her phone, and the meeting was basically to tell her that there was nothing they could do about the construction. No appearance from the manager, Jeff. No apology ever escaped his lips.

Let's see what else - the bathrooms were the most disgusting bathrooms I've ever been in...and I've been in Redskins tailgating parking lot port a potties. Almost all of the toilets were clogged, no soap at the sinks, and trash everywhere. Staff was alerted to this during the reception and no one attended to it. If they are SO used to having big parties (as Jeff yelled at my friend when she was talking to him, as if that had anything to do with the issue) then why did this happen??

Later, we reluctantly went to the bar after the reception. I knew this was gonna be good. The manager singled me out, both for not wearing shoes (I had stockings on) and for not being carded...both of which I saw other women doing. I did not have my ID on me, having been in the wedding party and just coming from the reception, and she insisted that I go up and get it. I'm 28 years old, by the way. I saw the bartender not card several other people and when I mentioned this to the manager, she said she was gonna "pull her from the bar". When I came back, she was happily still serving people and purposely didn't serve me. Next, the manager insisted on being a b*** and continuing on about the shoes. Finally, a police officer had to come. YES, a police officer, to mediate this situation. Let me be 100% honest in telling you that I had 2 glasses of wine that whole evening. Needless to say, I was not intoxicated. The police officer agreed, as well. He sided with me but I still had to suck it up and be harrassed by this "bar manager" woman, who had it out for me, for some reason, from the beginning.

There's plenty more, but please please please do not give these people business. If it were your daughter's wedding or your wedding or you were a customer and had to deal with Jeff Shepherd's shenanigans and behavior, you would be on here warning people, too. And still, no apology from anyone, including Holiday Inn Corporate, who have brushed my friend's case under the rug, forcing her to seek legal action.

None. Staff is rude and incompetent. Hotel is trashy, dirty, unsightly.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Written March 15, 2012

• DEBBBEDB profile photo DEBBBEDB
  • Reviews: 515

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Comfort Inn Beacon Marina: Disappointing Second Visit

The first time we stayed here we got the Romance Package, and we were happy with it
Rate: $129.99 USD per night
Valid Dates: February 25, 2009 until December 31, 2009
Requirements: Seven day advance booking and one night maximum length of stay
Included: Two roses and one box of chocolates per stay

The second time we tried it, we were disappointed and we wouldn't go again. Instead we stay at the Hampton Inn in Lexington Park

I think I would like staying at the marina more than the hotel. The location is good and there are restaurants nearby. The only pictures I have (other than the one from the top of the lighthouse at the Marine Museum) are of the restaurants.

• Related to: Museum Visits, Sailing and Boating, Family Travel
  • Written December 14, 2009
Tip Photo

End of the marina from the lighthouse

• Tom_Fields profile photo Tom_Fields
  • Reviews: 2352

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Holiday Inn Select: Going in Style

If you want to stay in Solomons Island, and be near everything, then this is a good place. It's rather pricey for my taste, but ideally situated.

This hotel has a marina, a pool, and both indoor and outdoor bars. The restaurant serves up a good breakfast. Try the crabcake eggs Benedict.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Spa and Resort
  • Written June 24, 2009

Holiday Inn Select

Holiday Inn Select Solomons: Close to the Marina

I've obviously never stayed here, as we live only about 20 minutes away. It is one of two chains on Solomon's Island. The restaurant next to this one is the Naughty Gull, where we sometimes go for dinner. There is a marina associated with this Holiday Inn and it is very near the Calvert Marine Museum.

# Outdoor Pool
# Sauna
# On-site Guest Self-Laundry Facilities (washer/dryer)
# Kids Eat Free
# Dedicated Lounge (or 24 Hour Lounge)
# Health/Fitness Center On-Site

All rooms have air conditioning, coffee maker, alarm clock radio, separate hanging closet, telephone with dataport and voicemail, work area with work desk and lamp and high-speed modem access, 25-inch remote-control television with CNN, HBO and ESPN, specialty bath items and a free newspaper delivered Monday through Friday.

Also
# Room voltage: 110V

• Written November 2, 2006

Holiday Inn from the Naughty Gull

Solomon's Victorian Inn: Convenient for Nightlife

When we went to eat at Harbor Sounds, I walked up the parking lot to take a picture of the Tiki Bar, and on the way, I saw this place and took its picture. I have not stayed here.

The sign says Solomon's Victorian B&B, but their website says it was also known as the Davis House, and was originally the family home of Clarence Davis, the renowned builder of early twentieth century sailing yachts.

According to the website, all rooms have private baths, A/C, cable TV and zoned heating.. In season rates are $110/night for the ordinary rooms, to a top rate of $195 for the Harbor Sunset room with a deep soak double whirlpool, a king size four poster bed and a balcony with a harbor view.

# No more than two may occupy a room.
# Regular rates include full breakfast.
# Minimum two night stay on weekends, April 1st to November 15th.
# Minimum three night stay on certain holiday and event weekends.
# Children over 13 years accommodated.
# No pets / No smoking.

• Related to: Historical Travel, Business Travel, Sailing and Boating
  • Written July 31, 2004

Victorian Inn

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Comfort Inn Beacon: Too Near Home for Personal Experience

I haven't stayed at this hotel, although I do eat at the restaurant there (The Captain's Table) and I've had friends come in by boat.

Complimentary deluxe continental breakfast daily until 0900. Waterfront hotel overlooking 186 slip full service marina. Solomon's Island night life. Numerous restaurants and attractions within walking distance

• Related to: Budget Travel, Road Trip, Sailing and Boating
  • Written July 9, 2004
Tip Photo

"Back door" facing the restaurant and parking lot

• Winch profile photo Winch
  • Reviews: 43

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Comfort Inn Beacon Marina: Two Major Chains

There are only two major hotels in Solomons, and one of them is a Holiday Inn. We stayed there once, and it's what you'd expect at any H.I.: A pool, a view, and average food in their restaurant.

Right next door, however, is the Comfort Inn Beacon Marina. Really, we keep meaning to give the Holiday Inn another chance, but the Scotsman in me always books at the Comfort. Consistantly cheaper by at least 10%, the Comfort Inn Beacon Marina has comparable accomodations and amenities. The rooms are clean and comfortable. All have cable and A/C. Some have mini-fridges and coffee-makers (with comp coffee). You'll also find waterviews and a pool.

Though there is no on-site restaurant, you really don't need one with the variety found within walking distance. And the Comfort Inn offers a pretty good complimentary Continental breakfast with fresh fruit, bagels, cereals and beverages.

The management tries hard, leaving you in peace while trying to be available to help. On our half-dozen or so visits, we've encountered a really dumb desk clerk or two, but overall the staff gets an "A" for effort. Honestly, they don't have much to work with.

The squat 2-story building was built the wrong way, end-on to the marina, so waterviews are limited. An attempt was made to make the building look "Colonial", but the rooms are more in line with a style my college roommate invented called "Sophisticated Dorm". Hey, it's a Comfort Inn, but it's cheaper than its clone next door.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Historical Travel, Sailing and Boating
  • Written May 12, 2004

Sally in Solomons

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

The Locust Inn: B&B or Rooming House

Jane Volkema wrote me and asked me about the Locust Inn. She said she had read wildly conflicting reviews. She was particularly concerned because she' heard that it was noisy.

She got back and has sent me this report which she has given me permission to post for her.

"The Locust Inn is more of a [rooming] house than a Bed and Breakfast. The place is very old (200 yrs old) and in need of repair throughout. There is no breakfast. The owner said that she provides coffee and muffins but since she got up earlier than I did she never put out muffins or made coffee.

"The rooms are adequate: bed(s) dressers, television, closet or wardrobe. But they were far from plush. Although I did notice one room had two antique poster beds in it. Every room had a window air conditioner which was plenty for cooling off the room. Thin carpet, old blankets, but good enough.

"Bath was down the hall. On my floor it meant sharing it with four rooms, or as many as seven or eight people if every room on the floor was full. Fortunately for me, since I was there mid-week, I was the only one on the floor

"The good points. The place is in the middle of everything. So you can park your car and walk the rest of your stay to almost all attractions.

"A built-in swimming pool in the back yard overlooks the Back Creek. Very clean. Chairs only, no loungers. I had the pool to myself the entire stay. Oh, and it is very private with lots of vines and bushes around it.

"The only thing I found particularly annoying was on Thursday night a young man set up his synthesizer in the Solomons Island Gazebo across the street. He had drums, cymbals and all the instruments programed in so it sounded like a full band playing rap music.He did quit playing at 10 p.m. As far as the Catamaran bar next door, they had music on the front porch on Friday night but I could hardly hear it. I wasn't there on Saturday so I can't tell if the Catamaran gets louder on the weekends."

• Related to: Budget Travel, Historical Travel