"Old Canal Town"
Conococheague Creek flows into the Potomac here, at Williamsport. The name Conococheague means "the long way" in the native Indian tongue. The town dates back to 1738, when the King granted Jeremiah Jack a tract of land here known as "Sweet's Delight." Soon, this town grew, bolstered by its position on the Potomac River, just past the northern end of the Shenandoah Valley.
During the Civil War, General Stonewall Jackson pushed Union forces out of Virginia, through this town. Later, after his defeat at Gettysburg, General Robert E. Lee led his army back through the town heading south.
Today, it's a rather small, sleepy town with a colorful history. Its main attraction is the remnant of the old C&O Canal.