40 Berkeley St., Boston, Massachusetts, 02116, United States

meme

longlong

Looking for a hostel

Hi everyone,

I'm one step further with my travel plans now. Now I am looking for a hostel to stay for a few nights in late September and early October. Do you have any suggestions for someone like me on a budget?

I also heard that the city will be quite busy during foliage season so how long in advance should I book. And one more question: has anyone ever stayed at the Cape Cod HI hostels?

Julia

RE: Looking for a hostel

by rafgys

Visit this website: www.hostelhandbook.com ... they have a lot of information about hostels all over North America.

by Sileas

thank you for the tip I will check it out!

by shirez

hi Julia, have you heard of couchsurfing, might like it. i know a lovely girl here (she has a cat too) who offers theirs couch. if you like this kind of travel.

by Sileas

thanks, I am actually a member of couchsurfing! Tips are very welcome :)

RE: Looking for a hostel

by jnettes13

Sorry to chime in late here... I was there with a girlfriend in Oct. 04. We stayed at the YWCA's Berkeley Residence (women-only place). The rooms have 1 or 2 beds, and a sink. There's daily cafeteria-style breakfast that is better than the continental breakfasts at most hotels!

by Sileas

thank you very much for your tip - I haven't arrived yet, so it isn't too late at all :o)

cheap place to stay

by maxvl

Hi all,

I'm leaving for Boston in two weeks (I'll stay there for about 3 weeks) and I was wondering if somebody knows a cheap place to stay. I find the number of hostels (on hostelworld) in Boston quite dissapointing and they're also quite expensive, compared to NY for example.

The options I've found so far (which are rated sufficiently high):
HI Boston Downtown, dorm: 22€ a night
Berkeley residence, private 29€ a night

Max

by Aloe9678

I've never stayed in a hostel or Boston, but I did a quick comparison and the more expensive hostels are still at least $10 cheaper (or around 7, 8 Euros) than the cheapest hotels listed on Hotels.com.

Have you looked into an apartment rental? There could be a few snowbirds headed to Florida for the winter after the holidays who might appreciate someone keeping their home warm for a couple weeks.

by maxvl

Thanks for your reply.

I've looked at apartment (initially I'd stay there with a friend)but I'll probably go to NY during my trip, so it won't be three full weeks and an apartment for one is quite expensive, I guess a hostel's still my best option.

by alansm

You are not going to find anything cheaper than the $33 a night you've been quoted at HI. For Boston, that's very inexpensive.

Travel Tips for Boston

Don't Miss the Church Interiors

by AKtravelers

As we mentioned in our Old South Church tip, the interiors of Boston's Colonial-era churches are fascinating. The pews are unlike any we've ever seen outside of New England, enclosed so that a coal stove strategically placed could keep worshippers warm during the service. There are no statues or pictures in these churches, a legacy of the Puritan anti-Catholic-icon position. The pulpit is always high above the seats, so that prewachers like Cotton Mather could lash their congregations with fire and brimstone services. These places are just as much architectural jewels as Notre-Dame de Paris or St. Peters of Rome.

Midnight ride of Paul Revere

by shdw100

Boston is a great place for American Revolutionary history. Paul Revere definately falls into that category, as he rode through the night declaring "The British are coming" with the warning "1 light in the North Church if by land, two lights if by sea".

Take a walking tour of the...

by easchust

Take a walking tour of the Esplanade, the Common, the North End, Downtown Crossing, and Newbury Street. Boston is small enough that everything is within a short walk. I miss the Back Bay (esp. Kenmore Square) and all the activities that were within easy reach.

Welcome To Harvard Barbie...What Took Ya So Long?

by Barbie2138

I think one of the coolest things about Boston is being able to walk the Yard. The first time, I visited Harvard yard, I commented to my friend, "Ya know, I feel smarter already." Maybe not but I got shivers thinking about all the really big brains who had trod those same walkways. Harvard rubs me in all the right ways. I stood a long time in front of the jaw dropping library. I can't explain it but the experience is awesome.... My favorite memory of Boston has got to be the people. I love them in all their cranky wanky ways. I feel right at home!!!! I'll never forget my second visit when I went alone for a vacation and met VT'er Emilie Noelle. She lives in Lowell not Boston but she made my visit special by taking me to Walden; a place I'd read about....It was very special. At one point while walking the trail, I just cried. I'll never forget her generosity and kindness. I always seem to meet terrific people. I don't know why Boston has such a bad rap about not being friendly....
What do I miss when I'm away? Everything. I found myself in Boston. It doesn't feel right not to be there.

Take one of the trolley tours!...

by diver-x

Take one of the trolley tours!
They're well worth it. You can make the tour as long or as short as you want since they let you get off and back on again later at points of interest (except for the Duck tours, which don't stop). I've taken a couple of tours when my family visited, and enjoyed each one. You can get tickets & information at South Station.
See this web site for more info:
http://www.trolleytours.com/Boston.htm My favorite part of living in Boston is taking walks in the Arnold Arboretum. The Arboretum is a treasure! It was designed by the same man who designed Central Park in NYC, Frederick Law Olmstead, and is part of Boston's Emerald Necklace. Mostly you'll find locals walking their dogs (surprisingly, most DO clean up after their pooches) and great specimen trees & shrubs. In the spring and summer, the flowers are lovely. There is also a nice collection of bonzai on display in warmer months. Some of the plants are nearly 300 years old!

For more information on the Arnold Arboretum and Boston's Emerald Necklace, see these web sites:

Please see my Arnold Arboretum Travelogue!

By Public Transportation
Take the Orange Line to the Forest Hills Station. The Arboretum's Forest Hills Gate is a one-block walk northwest along the Arborway from the station.
Refer to the map of the MBTA subway:
You can also take #39 bus to the Monument stop in Jamaica Plain. From there, walk five blocks south along Centre St. to the intersection with the Arborway (Rte. 203). The Hunnewell Building is located inside the Main Gate.

Comments