Ames - A Morgans Original

Ames Boston Hotel
Travelocity Booking.com Expedia.com

Costs 41% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

More about Ames - A Morgans Original

Brand new trendy comfortable hotel

by TripAdvisor Member statement96

excellent rooms with very heigh ceilings, original architecture, hardwood floors with tiles...extremely comfortable beds, deep bathtubs with rain showerheads...beautiful lobby and fitness center - both a little small though...green padded elevators with music is a nice touch...some of the hotel rates include 2 drinks at the pretty restaurant bar on floors one and two...hotels should include free internet but this one does not...I would highly recommend this hotel for a Quincy Market area Boston Hotel stay...

Will never stay anywhere else in Boston again.

by TripAdvisor Member jayshaz

We loved the Ames. The design is spot on; they did a wonderful job with the renovation. The rooms are light and airy, and the decor makes the rooms look larger than they are. The open design of the bathroom didn't bother me traveling with my husband, but I can see how it could bother some. The dual flush toilets are very forward-thinking and green. I agree with the earlier comment about the sheets though; they seemed like a high thread count, but were a little stiff and rough....perhaps because the hotel is newer? Also, the shower went cold once during our stay, but the hot water came back about 5 minutes later, so not a big deal, but not a fun 5 minutes. Everything was spotlessly clean.

The service was warm, friendly and unpretentious the entire stay, from the doormen, to the front desk, to Charles, the concierge, who found us a wonderful restaurant on a Saturday night at 6:00pm. Nothing annoys me more than a luxury hotel with the attitude that they are doing you a favor by letting you stay there, and you won't find any of that attitude here.

The food in the restaurant, Woodward, was wonderful, and the dinner portions were much larger than expected for tapas-style food which was how it was presented. On the pricey side for breakfast and dinner, but that is to be expected for a hip new restaurant in a luxury hotel. There was a line outside of people waiting in freezing temps to get into the bar on the Saturday night that we were there.

The location is the best. Right across the street from the old state house, and a 2 minute walk from Faneuil Hall. Minutes walk from all the T lines.

Overall, the stay was awesome. I still gave the hotel 5 stars despite the very small negatives. We will definitely stay here the next time we are in Boston.

Beautiful hotel - if you don't mind guests who like to party and you don't need to sleep

by TripAdvisor Member FromNH

We stayed here last night. We loved the contemporary look, the absolute cleanliness of every part of the hotel and rooms, and the understated comfort. The staff were friendly and helpful. The room was small but thoughtfully designed and the bed was comfortable. Up until we tried to sleep, we thought this would be our new favorite place to stay in Boston. Unfortunately, when we returned from dinner at around 10:30PM, the lobby was full of customers who had spilled out of the bar - fairly loud and clearly drunk. When we first got to our room on the 10th floor it was fairly quiet, but within 15 minutes the noise started -people going up & down in the elevator outside our room, talking very loudly, and just standing outside our room laughing and fighting. It went on for the next 4 hours. We did go out and ask them to be quiet twice but that would only help for 10 minutes and it would start again. They also seemed to be having a party in the room down the hall. We heard other guests ask them to be quiet but it was 2AM before it stopped.

In defense of the hotel, we did not call down to ask for help because we kept thinking it was getting better but then the people would come back upstairs and it would start again.

My advice to the hotel is to add some soundproofing to the hallways so sound doesn't carry as much, put a fan in the closet so guests can drown out the noise if it gets too bad, and to do a better job monitoring customers going repeatedly up & down the elevator from the bar. It is great to have a popular bar but it is impacting the peace of your hotel guests.

Trendy hotel - Probably more suitable for leisure than business

by TripAdvisor Member asiangeek

Stayed at Ames for a week on a business trip. Overall, i would say it's a nice hotel, but I probably would stay at Hyatt the next time.

Given my company Boston office is right across the street, I was assigned to stayed here. The cab driver was not aware there is a hotel at 1 Court St. He does know where 1 Court St is. He was skeptical first. Ames does not have a sign outside either. I arrived on a Sunday night. Doorman, front desk were very courteous. Check-in was fast, quick and simple. The decor of this hotel is "hip" and "contemporary".

First impression of the room - my friend described it best based on the pictures I sent him - it looks like a night club. Bathroom wall was black, room was painted white, entry doorway has white floor tile. Shower wall, as many have described here, is glass. Practically all the lights can be adjusted for brightness. Windows can be opened slightly and are HUGE; there are plenty of light during day time without turning on the lights. Bed was big and comfortable. Pillows are too hard for my taste. I woke up with a sore neck. Inside the room, the desk was white. A contemporary sofa and a round orange glass top table next to the window. Room is very contemporary/trendy.

I stayed on the east side of the building, 7th floor. As other have mentioned, I can hear/feel subway running during morning. It isn't so bad. It could be noisy when the garbage truck come collect garbage.

I ordered dinner on Monday evening. Dinner was brought up within 20 minutes. Entree was great, dessert was actually bad; price was a bit high (luckily company is picking up the tab).

Rest of the week, I noticed the restaurant can be very noisy. I went to work out in the gym which is located on 4th floor at around 9 pm on tuesday to thursday. I could hear the crowd noise coming from the bar/restaurant through the stair case right next to the gym.

Internet is $10/day. The room has LCD TV and an radio alarm clock for iPod. If you wish to connect your computer to the TV, bring your own VGA. Hooking up the VGA cable is not easily accessible. I have to feel for the port.

Check-in out was quick and simple.

Stylish but not comfortable or restful...very disappointed

by TripAdvisor Member bouldercroft

One night stay in Boston - chose the Superior Room (King Size Bed) at the Ames Hotel.
The rooms are very very stylish - but quite small. Bathroom is very well appointed with high end fixtures and Korres products. Bed was VERY firm and almost uncomfortable but the BIG ISSUE was the noise. Constant noise from the traffic outside and I think it must be right over the subway as the room shook everytime a train went underneath. Got hardly any sleep because of this. I would have complained earlier but didn't realize the extent of the vibration/noise until I was actually in bed. I was ready to complain at check out when asked 'how was your stay' - but I wasn't asked that at all - in fact the woman at check out barely registered my existence.

LOVED our stay

by TripAdvisor Member avid_traveler_46

My husband and I stayed at the Ames for a night in Boston to celebrate my birthday. What a great hotel - perfect for the relaxing weekend that we wanted. The hotel is in a quiet area and it was conveniently located (a couple of blocks from Quincy Market, Faniuell Hall and the T stop at Government Center or Downtown Crossing). We loved the rooms - it was well appointed, comfortable and so chic. The staff were very attentive, helpful and friendly. We ate brunch at the Woodward, which was delicious (try their drinks!). It was a long, pleasant brunch, and even though it was Easter Sunday, we weren't rushed out. I would definitely recommend the hotel or stay here again.

Overall great stay

by TripAdvisor Member SarahH85

My husband, a friend, and I were in town for the Boston Marathon. The Ames was perfect for us. Great location--within walking distance of a lot of tourist spots and very close to multiple T stops. I can't stress enough how great the staff was. We stayed for 5 nights, and every staff member we talked to was extremely friendly and helpful. Very nice rooms. Some reviewers mentioned the sound of the subway, but up on the 10th floor, while we could occasionally barely hear it, it wasn't at all bothersome. Probably the only downside was the extra charge for internet.

Noisy!

by TripAdvisor Member favenmarg

Very attractive, stylish rooms, and great bathroom. The location is excellent, and the service we encountered (just check-in and valet parking) was professional and friendly.
However, we slept really badly because it was just so noisy. It was so loud it felt like the windows were open (they were not - we checked!).
There may be quieter rooms (we were in 509) but we were there for only one night and didn't have the opportunity to find out.

Don't stay on lower floors!

by TripAdvisor Member rpgiii

I was in room #305, and it was a disaster!
I was awoken at 4:30 by garbage trucks in the alley.
At 6:00 there was some steady banging that sounded like it was coming from inside the walls. After a while, I called the front desk, and they sent the engineer up to fix the problem. He decided the noise was from the fitness center that was on the 4th floor, directly above my room. On the way out, I mentioned it to the person at the front desk, and she said mine was only the second complaint about the problem. How many complaints like that do they need to decide that there's a problem? More importantly, why would you put a bedroom directly below the fitness center? The finess center is open 24 hours. I guess I was lucky that the noise didn't start earlier.
The final straw was the street noise that started around 7:00.
Bottom line, it's a nice hotel, but if you stay there, stay in a room that's high enough to be above the noise.

Extremely friendly and professional staff provides a fantastic stay away from home

by TripAdvisor Member Jules1807

I travel to Boston for business at least once per month and always look forward to my stay at the Ames hotel. One of the newest additions to the Morgan's Hotel family it is in the heart of Boston and is exactly what you would expect from this amazing group. The staff is incredibly friendly and helpful, making my time away from home comfortable and easy. Also included is the Woodward - the restaurant located in the hotel also provides room service and I have really enjoyed every meal so far! (Don't miss the burger!) I would definitely recommend the Ames hotel to family and friends and look forward to my next stay there!

Comments