Boston Park Plaza Hotel And Towers

3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

64 Arlington Street, 50 Park Plaza, Boston, Massachusetts, 02116-3912, United States

Boston Park Plaza
Priceline.com Travelocity Orbitz.com

Satisfaction Average

Costs 70% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• dirtroady's Profile Photo

A glorified crap hole

The hotel looks beautiful but that's all there is to it. The room is small and is very much like what I'd expect from a side of the road motel. The vent in my room is very noisy, the bathroom is ridiculously hot and there's no way to fix any of this. Even the coffee machine looks cheap and out of place.

Mind you, this is not a cheap hotel, though breakfast isn't even included.

Worst of all, one of my pillow cases was dirty and the concierge didn't even apologize for this. At 10pm I started getting my bed ready, only to notice that the dirty pillow case had been flipped upside down to hide the side that had someone else's makeup stains on it.

S**tty, very, very s**tty.

• PALLINA's Profile Photo

excellent

What do I usually ask to a city centre hotel? A very good location, on walking distance from some bars, pubs and on walking distance from subway or bus station and a very well organized concierge. Actually in the US I usually ask for two queen size beds, I cannot stand to share a queen size (I wonder how Americans can do it). This hotel offered all of this and also more. Sorry, I have no pics, I have forgotten to take some.

• Don't even consider.....

Yikes-the bed was lumpy.... room temperature was hard to regulate.... I didn't sleep well.

I was sent there from an other hotel that was overbooked... I thought it was very expesinsive... it should have been less than the Sheraton (the "sister" hotel that sent me).

They advertised room internet--- but it was not free.

The Sheraton told me it was a short walk-- it was a heck of a walk!!!!

I don't recommend.....

Unique Quality: OLD OLD OLD

• Mikebb's Profile Photo

Luxury and Convenience

Arriving in the United States early evening we made our way to the Boston Plaza Hotel to join a 13 day coach tour. We were very tired and looking forward to a good bed as we alighted from the taxi and upon entering the hotel foyer we were surprised with the grandeur of the reception hall. This certainly was going to be an enjoyable stay in a classy hotel. Formalities were quickly processed by reception and we were shown to our room.

Our room was very nice, well furnished including a good bed and linen, the bathroom was of good standard including luxury soaps and shampoo. It was 10pm and we had not eaten so we went to Swans Diner within the hotel and had dinner.

Our room did not have a refrigerator and we later learnt this is common to hotels within the United States, however we were able to obtain ice from an icemaking machine down the hallway.

We learnt that this hotel has accommodated every American President since it was opened in 1927 which must be testimony to its quality. The hotel is within walking distance of many historic attractions and also the Boston Common.

Unique Quality: Style, Quality and Class.

• Callavetta's Profile Photo

Back Bay Accommodations to cheer about

The Boston Park Plaza Hotel would normally be slightly above my price range, but booking at the last minute (literally the day before, from my hotel room in Wilmington), I took the suggestions that came with my confirmation e-mail from United, when I booked my airline tickets and reserved a Tower Level Concierge Room. At a total cost of about $230 a night, the package included enough "freebies" to make it seem worth it.

I was very pleased when I arrived at the Hotel; a grand dame of a place with a huge extravagant lobby. No line at check in (separate check in available for the tower rooms - on the 15th floor), the business details were quickly dispensed of and I headed for the elevator car that is reserved for the 15th floor rooms. Stepping into the hallway, I encountered the private concierge for our floor. Down the hall and around the corner and I came to my room.

The room was very nicely appointed but small, as one might find in London or Paris. Unlike London or Paris, the king sized bed was a welcome sight. The bed had something like 10 pillows and a huge fluffy comfortor. A desk by the window provided me with the perfect place to fire up my laptop and use the free internet, free local and long distance phone calls, and enjoy some in room Tazo Tea (Starbucks). Also included was bottled water, and inroom Starbucks coffee.

The all marble bathroom had upscale amenities and a bathroom scale (does anyone really want a scale on vacation?!) and a two headed shower head. Plush towels and bathrobes rounded out the luxury.

I have to add the bed was very comfy, with its pillow top mattress. Although the pillows look beautiful when the bed is made up, they sure do get in the way when you're trying to sleep!

There are several other reviews of this hotel on VT that show photos of a bathroom I can't even imagine finding here. I can only think that the hotel has undergone a major renovation since the reviews were written.

Unique Quality: The Tower Concierge rooms also include a lounge that is open to guests 24 hours a day. Breakfast is served until 9:30 on weekdays and 10 on weekends (a little early for we West Coast visitors!) and there's a appetizer bar from 5 to 8 in the evening (no-host bar. My wine was $9for a very small glass). The rest of the 24 hours guests can help themselves to coffee, tea, sodas and snacks. The lounge was very comfy with overstuffed chairs and couches, several TVs, newspapers and a small business center.

One final note: we probably would have seriously LOVED this hotel had it not been for the surprise we encountered Saturday morning. The hotel seemed to be the gathering point for a cheerleader convention. The lobby was packed with literally hundreds of little girls with horridly gaudy make up and cheerleading outfits, squealing and shrieking at eachother, along with their very scary cheerleader Moms!

Directions: In the Back Bay area, just adjacent to the Boston Common and a short walk from the Theater District.

• Terrible- Absolutley Terrible

This hotel is a complete sham. The "economy" rooms are a joke. I paid $189/night for one of the smallest rooms I have ever seen (smaller than many rooms I have seen in Europe) It gets MUCH worse.

The room is horrendous. There are huge stains on the carpet, the paint is chipping off the walls, and I had to have my bedspread changed the first night I was here because there were yellow stains all over the front. The bathroom is tiny; we're talking 2x2 shower here, and the tile is so dingy, I wore flip flops while showering. The toilet has yellow water and ring where it was stained. ON TOP OF ALL THIS- the AC didn't work in the middle of summer!!

What did I try to do to rectify the situation- 1. had bedspread changed. when I asked housekeeping to take a second look at the bathroom, she said that's just the way it is- "old hotel and all". 2.Complained about no AC twice and asked to switch rooms. I was apologized to- apparently it was out throughout the entire hotel (but somehow the lobby was nice and cool) I was asssured it wold be fixed by that evening. It was 90 degrees and humid today in Boston- no AC is not an option. especially when I am paying almost $200 a night. Now I'm sitting in my hot, stuffy, prision with no relief. AC still not fixed.

I would NEVER stay here again, and I would NEVER recommend this place to anyone. I'm sure the non-economy rooms are better, but not worth a penny.

Unique Quality: Close to everything.

Directions: Arlington Street

• Terrible- Absolutley Terrible

Unique Quality: Close to everything.

Directions: Arlington Street

• adegolier1's Profile Photo

Great Hotel .....Great Location!

Our stay was wonderful. I was nervous at first since I started reading reviews and alot of people were complaining about the hotel but I thought the hotel was really nice.

The Park Plaza is a old historic hotel. Opened in 1927 by E.M. Statler. Because of it being an old building the rooms are small but comfortable. The bathrooms are also small but not too small.

The best part of this hotel is that its downtown and you can walk practically anywhere and if walking is too much or the distance is too far, then you can take the T.

We got a great value through hotwire.com, and for staying right downtown, it was great! So If you dont live in your hotel room and you basically just sleep and wash up there like we do, you will love it.

Unique Quality: Heres a list of the Restaurants/Bars in the Hotel: (makes it nice when your feet hurt and you dont feel like walking anywhere else!)

• Todd English's Bonfire
    • M.J. O'Connor's
    • Smith & Wollensky's

Directions: Back Bay

• exotiqgatita's Profile Photo

You feel like Hot Sh@t as you walk in!

I rented the $250 suite for my 18th birthday, which is a regular price for one night at most of the Boston Hotels. And I would say it was worth it! I got a two bed, two bath suite, the room wasn't as big as I tohught it would be, but the whole place is nice. Park Plaza is known for really classy people, or the rich go there usually. The decor is really fancy, that's why. But I know the other hotels are almost just as nice. So seriously, you don't HAVE to stay here, I bet other hotels like the Sheraton or Hilton Back Bay may be alot cheaper, and really just as satisfied! But if you want to brag to others about ya hotel, this and the Ritz-Carlton are the ones to go to. Plus, that's the Copley area, which has about 15 hotels in the same area! So it's doesn;t really matter based on location.

Unique Quality: I only stayed one night, so I didn't even check out everything else.

• member007's Profile Photo

Downtown Boston for a descent price.

The best part about this hotel is that it is surrounded by historic Back Bay and is just one block from the theatre district. You can get great food close at the Bonfire Steakhouse or Swan's Court. The Whiskey Park is right there when its time for a drink.

Unique Quality: Valet parking
    Room service
    Restaurant and bar on site
    and many more ammenities

Directions: Downtown Boston

• vivalasteph's Profile Photo

Grand style and sometimes a surprise

This large hotel is just a block from the Public Garden and has a grand lobby, with many restaurants and shops to keep you busy. It is a perfect location for a Boston visit, with many attractions within walking distance.

Helpful staff and nice large rooms, some with amazing city views.

Unique Quality: There are many conference rooms, and some activity on most weekends, both in the hotel, and at the Castle across the street.

I spent a night here in January, and was surprised and amused to find a Fetish Festival in full swing! It was very easy to tell the tourists from the attendees, as men and women strolled by in head to toe leather, fishnet stockings and bustiers, kilts, and a few people being led on leashes. Every elevator ride was a riot!

• A Classy Dump

Don't be deceived -- this is a bigtime hit or miss hotel. I was traveling with 2 business associates and although I did get a "nice" room, my 2 mates weren't so lucky.

My "nice" room wasn't clean properly. To my shock, there were towels left on the floor and discarded shopping bags left in the room. They were quick to "fix" this problem but I just wasn't impressed.

Now my associates room were not renovated and extremely small. My impression of their rooms was one of disgust. The rooms felt "dirty" and run down.

I won't be back.

Unique Quality: Very good dining in the area.

Directions: Theatre District

• Wonderful Experience

We had a wonderful stay. I was expecting the worst because of all the reviews that were bad on other sites but actually had a really great experience. We asked for a renovated room, which had a queen size bed. The room was small but I expected that because of how old the hotel actually was. I would definately recommend this hotel to anyone staying downtown boston. We also paid for our trip through hotwire and had no problems.

Unique Quality: This hotel was 2-4 blocks from everything. Definately a great place to stay if you dont want to deal with a car or even the subway much. We did use the subway some but we didnt have to if we didnt want to.

It was a block to the boston commons and public garden, only a few blocks to china town and quincy market.

Great hotel and really nice people!

• KennyB's Profile Photo

Overlooks Boston Commons & The Swan Boats

This hotel will not disappoint you in any way. Off season and weekend rates are reasonable for Boston. Expect to pay almost twice as much for a weekday room.

Try to get a weekend package that includes parking. Parking alone can cost $35 or more a night.

Unique Quality: This hotel is by the Boston Commons and near the historical "Freedom Trail".

This hotel is just a stone's throw from Boston Commons. Boston Park Plaza is situated in the heart of Downtown Boston and the city’s Theatre District, Boston Park Plaza Hotel is ten blocks from the Hynes Convention Center and just three miles from Logan International Airport. The "T" stop Arlington Station is located right across the street.

Directions: Address 64 Arlington St
    It is located next to the Boston Common and Public Garden.

Public Transportation "T": Green Line to Arlington

• Park Plaza

The Park Plaza is a historic luxury hotel. My room was booked on Hotwire.com, a place where you can get major discounts for booking a hotel room with as little information as possible. I wound up in a room that was sub-luxury at best. It must have been one of their "cheap rooms."

Unique Quality: It was a historic place. That means OLD. The air conditioner wasn't cold enough, and the elevators were kind of slow and creaky, though not scary. The lobby was cool, and had live piano music played by a machine that played the piano. Since I was in a cheap room, I got an excellent view of heating ducts and the alley down below. I still enjoyed the hotel, though, and would reccomend it, but if you're using Hotwire, don't try your luck for this one.

Directions: Near the Arlington stop on the T

More about Boston Park Plaza Hotel And Towers

Hotel Name - old hotel with swans on outside

by mmyerspa

My mom stayed in Boston a few years ago, and really enjoyed the hotel. We're trying to locate the hotel. It was an old hotel, on a corner, with swans on the outside. Anyone know the name of the hotel?

RE: Hotel Name - old hotel with swans on outside

by gespaper

I think you are thinking about the Boston Park Plaza Hotel. The swan is sort of their logo

Comments