Buckminster Hotel Boston

Booking.com Expedia.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Average

Costs 67% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• foggybottom's Profile Photo

A Great location and Value.......

We needed to go to Boston for some extreme dental work so we needed two days in a hotel near Copley Square. All hotels were booked up there so we found the Buckminster. What a great find. It is an older building with charm. Great convient location to everything even fun restaurants in walking distance. The Red Socks stadium is right across the street too for those interested in baseball. We were given a room on a high floor to have a bit more peace and quite since teeth work is not much fun. The room was a suite of three rooms with high ceilings. Two rooms with queen sized beds and one with a couch and table with chairs. Each room had a TV which was great because my husband and I have very different tastes in TV programs. I was thrilled also to be able to walk to see the John Singer Sarget water color show at the Museum of Fine Arts only a 12 minute walk away. The cost to park a car is 30.00 a day with the garage next door.

Unique Quality: There is a clean and good restaurant in the building. We never had to take our car out of the garage to search for dinner. We stayed at a Hampton Inn recently in Boston the week before and had to use our car to find a restaurant. With absolutely no open parking spots around the restaurants it took us forever to finally find a place to park for dinner. This to say was very annoying. There is also a subway stop- Kenmore Square- right across the street from the hotel so going anywhere in Boston is very easy.

Directions: Kenmore Square, Fenway Park

• burbankbeatnik's Profile Photo

good value, not the nicest

This hotel has a very convenient location near Fenway and Boston University. It is a good buy, but is a bit run down. The lobby is refurbished and very nice, but the rooms could use some re-doing. The rooms are very big though, some having a livingroom and a bedroom. The layout is also alot of fun- it's very easy to get lost in the hallways. Even though the hotel has somewhat modern decor, it also has an old-time essence as well. It reminds me more of a hotel one is likely to find in Europe, rather than in Kenmore square.

The rooms are nice, but a bit dark. Bathrooms are very nice, and large though. They even give you a nice toothbrush as part of your typical shampoo/soap toiletry stuff in the loo though.

Overall, this hotel is a good value for a good location, and isn't as bad as some reviews make it out to be. It could use some refurbishment, but it is still liveable as it is. it's good for a one night stay. Good place to stay for visiting kids/ friends who go to BU.

Unique Quality: There are kitchens on some floors. I am not sure why. The winding corridors are fun. Breakfast is complimentary in the restaurant downstairs- Bagels, toast, cereal, muffins, etc.

Directions: Kenmore square- near Fenway park and the BU campus. convenient for red sox games

• garridogal's Profile Photo

Don't judge a hotel by it's Exterior!

What do I know about hotels in Boston....I live here! This is my friend, Sue. A couple of years ago she and some of our pals stayed at The Hotel Buckminster. They asked me for advice and all I could tell them was that it's some kind of Boston Landmark, right on Kenmore (they were in town for a show at Avalon) and it sure looked nice on the website.... Wrong! The hallways are long, dark and creepy, the walls have coats and coats of paint on them - the latest of which is Peach colored. (ACK!!!) and the furnishings are old and in Hunter Green (DOUBLE ACK!!!)

Unique Quality: They told me that when they were checking in at 3m there was an old man in his bathrobe wandering around the lobby. Maybe he was the Welcoming Committee....

• Cheap, Central & Clean

Unassuming, clean, friendly, ordinary rooms in a very central location. In the heart of BU campus, with ATMs, cafes, bookstores, train and bus stops, parking garages (several) across the street. One can walk to Pru, Fenway, Newbury, and Brookline. Front desk was accomodating to requests for extra pillows, ethernet cables. Cleaning staff was diligent and there are laundry rooms on each floor. High-speed internet in every room - a boon, since there are virtually no internet cafes in Boston and wi-fi spots (StarBucks) are a joke. There are 2 parking spots in front of hotel doors, on Beacon Street, that do not require $$ (reserved valet spots, but the hotel does not have valet and the spots are available on a 1st-come basis) and plenty of metered spots along Beacon as well as Brookline.

Unique Quality: Maluken is a great little restaurant, just off the lobby that serves early breakfast and good sushi. My room had a view of I-90, my old apartment on St. Mary's street and the Photonics building and a slice of Fenway park lights.

Directions: Smack in Kenmore Square, above the Pizzeria Uno.

• Marie-Claude's Profile Photo

Easy access to subway station and Downtown

For a 2 stars hotel it has all the comodities, a nice bathroom, one room with table, tv, couch, and 2 double beds very comfy.
    It is very close to subway station and about 3-4 stations from downtown. They have breakfast included.

Unique Quality: no outstanding charecteristics.. it is still a 2 stars.

• Boston Hotel Buckminster

The Buckminster is a great hotel. It is not located in downtown Boston, but right next to Fenway Park and Boston University. There is a T stop nearby (Kenmore) which is a short ride to the downtown area, or it is a 15-20 minute walk down Beacon St.

Normal room rates range from about $90 for an economy room with 1 bed to $180 for a suite. One time I stayed here and they gave my double room away and upgraded me to a suite for no extra charge, and the room was great. If you intend on staying in a suite, you get good value for your money here. Another time, I had the economy room and was satisfied.

Unique Quality: The 6-floor hotel was recently renovated. The suites are very nice, and the economy rooms are decent but small. All rooms have a safe, cable TV, ironing board with iron, voice mail and modem hook-up, and radio alarm clock. The front desk is open 24 hours. You can get a smoking or non-smoking room. Check-out is 11 AM.

If you drive, parking is available through a separate company next door in a garage. The garage is unattended but there is an electronic keypad which you will be given a code for. It was $25 a night. Watch the daytime parking attendent, he is sneaky - he overcharged me for an extra day and we got into an argument. Hopefully he doesn't work there anymore.

Directions: Near Fenway Park. From downtown or Logan, take the T to the Kenmore stop. All Green Line trains will take you there except E.

More about Buckminster Hotel Boston

Perfect for Red Sox fans

My husband and I recently stayed at the Buckminster Hotel for two nights. We were in Boston to see a Sox Game and wanted a hotel within walking distance to the park. This location and price are perfect as long as you don't require a 4 star hotel. We read the other reviews before getting to the hotel so we were not surprised by the "ambiance" of the hotel. It is true that it is a bit dirty in the common areas due to construction and everything is old and outdated, but our room was clean and comfortable, and the convenience of being able to leave our car in the garage next door to the hotel and walk to and from the game greatly outweighed the lack of class. I'm sure all the Sox fans know what a nightmare getting out of Fenway can be if you drive there. We had an awesome view of the park from our room and we were able to see and hear the crowd during Friday nights game which was really cool. The free breakfast next door was a plus. The hotel if very close to public transportation which made for an easy trip to the Science Museum. We will stay here again when we are lucky enough to get Sox tickets and recommend this hotel to others looking for somewhere close to the park.

Extremely dissatisfied

This was my first time visiting Boston, and got a "suite" at the Buckminster. The room was incredibly dirty with dust, the tv turned on with the light switch(which the remote control batteries were taped on too), air condition barely worked, and the walls were painted a puke color. Only positive element of this hotel, was that it was close to Fenway Park. I will never stay in this hotel again, nor would I reccomend it.

Shabby -- and not in a good way

by TripAdvisor Member Frobozz

Let me outline my one-night stay:

1. You have to walk through an active construction site to get to the 1930s-ish lobby. The whole place needs work, but the only work you'll probably see is right at the entrance and in some of the stairwells.

2. Nonetheless, plaster dust covers seemingly every surface of the hotel.

3. Furniture -- including, probably, the furniture in your room -- is sometimes so worn that the stuffing sticks through.

4. My in-room safe was broken.

5. Promised high-speed in-room Internet access didn't work. It randomly cycled on and off.

6. Two-room suite was nicely sized, but carpets were worn and stained and paint was peeling. This, in fact, pretty much describes the appearance of the entire hotel.

7. There were no hangers in the closet. There was a holster for an ironing board and iron in the closet, but neither was to be found.

8. There was mold on the air conditioning vents.

9. Ancient elevator was slow. I gave up after a while and started walking up and down multiple floors.

10. There was no security for the open baggage closet off the lobby. I dropped off and picked up my own bag out of there. If I was criminally inclined, I could have helped myself to anything in there.

11. Staff here is genuinely friendly and helpful and the free breakfast was OK. Those facts and the big sizes of (some) of the rooms are the only things that distinguish this place from a YMCA. It is not nearly as nice as it appears on its Web site, and although it is very convenient to Fenway, there are other hotels nearby and easy public transportation makes Fenway very accessible anyway, even if you don't want to bring a car.

I forgot to mention they accidentally checked someone in to my reserved room (they had the reservation but made this mistake anyway) -- they did compensate me for this mistake by giving me a bigger suite, but "bigger" in this case merely meant a kitchenette that I did not need.

I would suggest avoiding this hotel.

Lived Down To Our Expectations

My family and I stayed at the Buckminster for four nights during our vacation in New England and it was a frustrating experience. First, let me say that our main attraction to the hotel was the availability of a two-bedroom suite in a great location, as we were traveling with our teen and pre-teen. I am a former Boston native and drove a taxi in the city in the Seventies, so I know the environs of the city quite well. I did read several reviews on TripAdvisor before choosing the hotel so I was forewarned to an extent.
Let me say first that there were several things that were right about the Buckminster. It is in a great location whether you are there for a Red Sox weekend or simply to tour the city. The subway is nearby and it is a short walk to the Fens, Back Bay or the Copley area. Also, the staff was reasonably courteous and responded quickly to requests and complaints (probably due to continuous practice). The suite was well laid out and roomy, with great city and Fenway Park views.
Our real frustration was that it could have been a great value hotel with just one upgrade; first-class housekeeping. The hotel is under construction and plagued with the dust and disarray that is inevitable under remodeling. However the suite was really filthy from a simple lack of deep cleaning. The bedspreads obviously had not been cleaned in a long time, the carpets were much too dirty to walk on without footwear and all of the furniture was in deep disrepair. Had the Buckminster made an extra effort to provide daily, real houskeeping I would have been inclined to recommend it as a great mid-level find. Unfortunately I would recommend that you pay the difference and go elsewhere. Too bad Buckminster, you missed it by THAT much!

Comments