Chandler Inn Hotel

Chandler Inn
Expedia.com Travelocity Hotels.com

Costs 21% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• Jase1177's Profile Photo

Decent and Good Location (Gay Hotel)

The Chandler is a relatively small hotel that offers basic services and ammenities. I was not disappointed by it at all. The price was good and in a great location near downtown in the historic South End. This is the area that is known at the 'gay section" for the most part.

Unique Quality: The hotel still requests that you leave the key at the front desk when you leave. It is a little quaint; something that is not seen often these days.

For the gay boys out there, the hotel bar is called Fritz's. It is a gay sports bar that attracts a cool, ecclectic crowd. There is very little or no attitude from the patrons or staff. In fact, the staff is quite friendly, but not is a fake way. In the warm weather, they slide open the many windowed wall to offer a breezy feel.

• Really nice and basic!

My husband and I stayed at the Chandler Inn on a Friday night recently. We had planned to go to a concert that night and wanted a reasonable place to stay.

We went there and the desk attendant, Andy was extremely friendly and helpful. He helped us find a place to park and told us where there were good places to eat! And when I was running late, and kept forgetting things in my room, he even ended up calling 3 different cabs for us!

Unique Quality: There's a really nice bar in the lower level, called Fritz. The South End of Boston is very gay friendly and this is a gay bar and it is hopping and friendly and really nice. There's a very nice outdoor patio area where people can smoke too

Directions: South End of Boston

More about Chandler Inn Hotel

Conociendo gente

by Behartz about Chandler Inn

El bar situado en los bajos del hotel donde nos alojamos. Taberna repleta de gente al menos en la hora en que estuvimos, previo a la cena. Gente muy cordial, hablamos con unas cuantas personas que se acercaron a conocernos.

No complaints!

My husbond and I stayed at this hotel this september, and had a really good time. The facility was just how we thought it would be. The staff is very helpful and always smiling, and their recommendations on places to eat and spots to see turned out to be good advice.
We didn't expect any luxury, and there was none, but the room was clean, we slept well and the location is pretty central and also quiet for such a big city.
We think that the Chandler Inn is good value for money.

PLEASE DO NOT STAY HERE!!

The Chandler Inn changed my room 3 times - I reserved a non-smoking room, and was placed in a smoking room. The halls, even in non-smoking, stink of stale smoke. There was no hot water(!) in my bathroom. The beds have 1 sheet and no mattress pad. The pillows are stained and have 1 pillow case, no cover. The bathroom has mold all over the tub lining. The noisy wall-unit air conditioner serves useful only as a noise-blocker for the bar below the hotel.

Great Place To Stay in Boston

by TripAdvisor Member qbill

Being a former Bostonian and having worked in some of the area hotels, I can surely tell you that Chandler Inn is one of the best values in town. Yes, it is not fancy, but it is spotless, nicely located, and within walking distance to almost every attraction in town. Not only that, but the subway and Amtrak stations are just footsteps away. Yes, there is no parking at the hotel, but only a block away is a huge public parking garage that is fairly inexpensive. There is a gay bar on the first floor and it is very friendly and all are welcome...almost like a gay version of Cheers. The area restaurants can't be beat....Chandler Inn is in one of the trendiest neighborhoods in town. Lots to choose from. So anyway, if you like high-priced chain hotels with all the amenities, this place is not for you. But if you like a nice, inexpensive hotel in a great area of the city, then don't hesitate to come here. This hotel is great for the sightseer and person on a budget. I always stay here every time I'm visiting Boston. I mean, I could stay at a fancy hotel, but why? I'd rather spend my money having fun in the city than sitting around in some overpriced, generic hotel room all day. Wouldn't you?

Don't believe those "terrible" and "okay, but..." reviews!

by TripAdvisor Member jim4thetravelpro

I just returned from a one-night stay at the Chandler Inn and was pleasantly surprised by the value I got for a fair price (for Boston).
The day before I went to Boston I checked the TripAdvisor and was shocked by the possibilities of what to expect. I was very surprised and found the negative comments totally without foundation. I've traveled extensively in Europe for over 30 years, as well as throughout the U.S., Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and, most recently, Japan. Yes, the hotel is "old" in comparison to the generic boxes with fancy lobbies and atriums. However, the room was clean, the bed was what I love (firm, not a giant pillow), but quite basic. Yes, the bathroom is small - but I wasn't there to spend time in the bathroom. The old fashioned tile was sparkling and spotless. Both elevators are new and efficient. They don't have a restaurant in the hotel itself, but you receive a voucher for $5 to use in a coffee shop around the corner. The location at first seems to be removed from everything, but it's about a 5 minute walk to the theater district and, depending on lights and street crossing times, about 10 minutes from the Boston Common.
As a travel agent who can sometimes get discounts at major hotels, I was more than satisfied with the Chandler Inn and would recommend it to clients I know well enough to know that they would enjoy this location. Oh, and for the paper-thin walls?? I never once even heard a sound from another room or from people passing in the corridor. Don't expect the Ritz (or it's prices) and you should be happy with this property.

As bad as it gets (and worse!)

by TripAdvisor Member kbever

This hotel is as seedy as they come. There is a reason why this place is always has available rooms when every other Boston hotel is booked.

I travel to Boston for business each week and stay at a variety of moderately priced hotels like the Charlesmark on Boylston or the Newbury Street Inn on Newbury Street (both with comparable rates to the Chandler and feel like the Ritz in comparison.)

I tried out the Chandler Inn last week because everything else was booked. I will never ever return nor would I ever recommend it to anyone, even a college student backpacking through North America. I would rather stay on someone's blow up air mattress.

The mattresses are like no mattresses I have ever slept on before, even in third world countries (of which I have been to many.) They are like hollow cardboard boxes and they are covered in thick vinyl or plastic covers with thin, scratchy sheets that slide around on top of the plastic. This doesn't feel like a place where people actually come to sleep. The ancient AC units in the window have dust bunnies flying out of the filthy filters and sound as loud as a buzz saw and send out little cool air. Needless to say, I did not sleep. I woke up numerous times numb on one side or the other.

This place is just horrendous. After my experience, I am wondering if the positive reviewers work at the hotel or are friends of the owner.

Is this a good place to stay??

by slustudent

Chandler Inn

RE: Is this a good place to stay??

by garridogal

There's a loud and very popular gay bar on the ground floor of the Chandler. I know nothing of the hotel, however. So keep that in mind when making your decision.

Comments