Club Quarters Boston

161 Devonshire Street, Between Milk & Franklin Streets, Boston, Massachusetts, 02110, United States

Booking.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

• leics's Profile Photo

Good location for the walker

I found central Boston hotels to be very expensive for my dates (having seen the number of visitors I now understand why). As a walker, it's essential for me to be pretty much in the centre of anywhere I stay. Club Quarters offered the best option.

It's located in the Financial district but as Boston downtown is really very small it's easy to walk from the hotel. Long Wharf is about 10 minutes, the Common about the same.State T station is a couple of minutes one way, Downtown Crossing T station about 5 in the opposite direction. So it's very well-placed, and the street is not busy with traffic even on working days.

Club Quarters Boston (they have other hotels elsewhere) is a clean, modern, functional hotel aimed, in the main, at the business traveller. Check-in is automated (although the front desk is staffed 24/7) and you need your door card to operate the lifts, which is a good security measure.

My room, on the 6th floor,was clean and comfortable with large bed, desk, hanginga and storage space, TV, coffee machine and free wifi (or wired internet connection for your laptop if you prefer). The bathroom (shower only) was very clean, with good mirrors and adequate toiletries.

Each floor has a chilled-water machine, with plastic bottles provided, which I thought was a very good idea.

There's a 'club room' lounge, with TV, newspapers and chess set. Two computers are provided, one of which is restricted to printing boarding passes at set times of day...this too is an excellent idea, imo. There's a fitness suite on the 2nd floor too, but I didn't look at that!

No breakfast is provided, but there is an internal door through to the adjoining Elephant & castle 'pub' which provides breakfast as well as meals throughout the day. you have to pay, of course! I ate there on the Sunday morning (yoghurt & fresh fruit, plus coffee and juice) but didn't bother again because there are lots of cafes in the area open during the week.

Staff were courteous and efficient, although the city map they provided is probably the worst I have received from any hotel; a smudgy photocopy which was pretty much impossible to use.

I suspect there are probably more congenial places for the non-business traveller to stay in central Boston, but this hotel is perfectly adequate as a base.

Directions: In the Financial district but easy walking and T access to everywhere else, including Boston South Station and the airport.

• drolkar's Profile Photo

CLUB QUARTERS -- I just...

CLUB QUARTERS -- I just recently discovered this little hidden-away property, located in the heart of Boston's financial district. It's really a great deal!
    We paid USD $88 plus tax per night, plus $13 for double occupancy.

Directions: 161 Devonshire St.
    Boston, MA

A very short walk from the State Street T-stop on the orange line

More about Club Quarters Boston

Club Quarters Hotel, not a place to go

Club Quarters Boston appears to be a nice Hotel when you look at the pictures through Hotels.

In reality they try to stuck you in a room where a dog would become claustrofobic. Not that big of a problem if they would just nicely cancel your stay, like we asked when we went out looking for a new hotel (which we found easily). After leaving the luggage in the room for 1 1/2 hours they decided to tell Hotels that they would charge a whole night after all, while the frontdesk lady of that time assured us that there was no problem. I call that a big scam and a ugly spot on the beautiful image of Boston, which is one of the greatest cities I have ever seen!

A good hotel

by TripAdvisor Member duvet

Like some previous reviewers I was a little worried about staying at Club Quarters. However, I found it to be a delightful hotel right in the middle of the city and well placed for sight seeing. If you want to spend a lot of time in your room then maybe this is not the hotel for you.

I found the staff to be helpful and the free internet access in the Club Room was a good touch.

Great location, OK Hotel, did I mention great location

This hotel could not be located in a better part of town for a tourist, and has all the amenities needed for a business traveler.
The hotel itself was just OK, the room sizes are about average for a downtown hotel and they could have been a bit cleaner, but overall...OK.
The hotel had wireless high speed internet & a mini fridge. Connected to the lobby was an Elephant & Castle Pub (looks original but it’s a chain) which is nice for a Pint or 2 before going out.

Reasonable Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member AndrewCA

I was bit nervous about booking this hotel since the picture seems to be of a bar. However for the price this is an extremely good deal. The rooms are small but clean. The hotel is pretty much a self service environment, if your expecting the Ritz Carlton this is the wrong place for you, if you want a good room and a good price in a great location this hotel is the deal.

The accomadation includes free Internet access in the rooms. One thing that is missing is an IRON.

Stayed Dec 2005.

Fabulous!

When we landed at the airport we went on a bus to the underground station, went two stops down the line and got off right in the middle of Boston. We could see our hotel from there!

The street was a little like a back street so I was a bit aprehensive at first, the hotel was lovely and clean when we went in. All secure by room key which makes you feel very safe. Rooms were very good size and for a refreshing change so was the bathroom.

Attached to the hotel was a lovely English pub, quite expensive but still nice.

When you want to explore you are right in the thick of it and can walk everywhere which means you save taxi/tube money!
The hotel is only a couple of blocks from the Quincy Market - my favourite place!!

We will DEFINATLEY use this hotel again, no faults whatsoever!

Great Hotel

Within minutes of landing at Logan International Airport, we were in a cab and headed to the Club Quarters Hotel, located in downtown Boston. Our room was quaint and comfortable, and only a short walk to the marketplace and the harbor. The Freedom Trail was nearby and a great way to see many historical sites. We took the subway( only a few blocks from the hotel) to see the Kennedy Library. The trolleys made for a great way to ride around the city and see many interesting places. There is a great restaurant adjacent to the hotel. We would stay at the Club Quarters Hotel during any future visits to the city.

Bad Experience, Helpfull Staff

I stayed as a "Priceline" deal, some of the bad experience is pricelines fault. Priceline said within easy walking distance to the Fleet Center, definately not true on a 10 degree Feb. night. The first room was near the roof top under a very loud roof heater unit, and there was a lot of construction noise. The staff was very friendly and helpful. No problem with locating us to a quieter room. It was an OK experience, but not a 3.5 star rating. 2 star. Very difficult to drive to , and parking was a block away. If you're going to the Fleet Center for an event, try the Holidan Inn Select Government Center. It is pricy, but have never had a bad stay. 15 minute walk to Fleet Center and North Station. 1/2 hour walk to Fanual Hall.

Terrible Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member AlanaBayArea

I stayed at Club Quarters after it accepted my bid on Priceline.com, and I have NEVER used Priceline again, after being stuck with a hotel like this. First of all, the staff is terribly rude. At one point, the housekeeper literally banged on my door and demanded to be let into my room, even though I was in the middle of getting dressed. It turned out that the room service person had heard my television in the room, and thought I had snuck another person into my single room!!! When I called down to complain to the manager, she basically told me that it was a privately owned hotel, and they had a right to be let in to clean the room. I do not throw these kind of accusations around lightly, and I have never said this about another hotel, but I really believe that prejudice was a factor here. I am not accusing the hotel ownership, but the staff on duty. I do not wish to elaborate anymore, but I was so upset by this that I demanded they call Priceline, which made an exception and returned my money so I could find a different hotel. I ended up staying at the Omni Parker House, which is a delightful hotel and the friendly staff there helped rescue my trip from a disastrous start.

Perfect spot in Boston!

by TripAdvisor Member takearide

While the rooms are fairly small, they have every amenity. Coffee maker and coffee/cups/creamers, micro, fridge, small dresser, two night tables, desk & desk chair, queen-size bed, livingroom chair and closet. What else do you need? All this, plus the added security of each person having to use their room card to enter the floor from the elevator. Front desk was always staffed and ready to help. A room off the lobby called the "Club Room" which had a couple of computers to use - no charge.
This hotel is located in the financial district, 2 short blocks from Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market and a half block from the "T."
Someone on this website mentioned no "extra pillows, iron, etc." Well, if they had read the literature left in the room (on the bed, night stand and desk), they would have seen that on each floor, next to the room ending in "02" there is a guest closet clearly marked, for extra coffee, iron, ironing board, pillows, blanket, etc.
The only drawback to us was that my husband and I are used to a King bed, and the rooms only have one Queen. Some rooms have two twins, but none were available at the time. So, we just snuggled a little closer, that's all.
All in all...we'd go back. We only stayed one night, and were so close to everything we could possibly want, including Washington Street where all the shopping is!
They even took 20% off our parking!

Fourth of July vacation

by VTgirl007

Hi! I am trying to plan a 3-day getaway to Boston over Fourth of July, and was looking for tips for places to stay. I am OK with being outside of Boston, preferably near the ocean, like Salem. Ideally in Boston would be better, though, as I am worried about taking the T back after the Pops concert. I am also looking for something in the medium price range, $75 to $175 per night, in the 3 star range. I am also concerned about parking in Boston. Any suggestions?

by virtualpatrick

In Boston, i've stayed several times at the Harborside Inn (www.harborsideinnboston.com) and have enjoyed it because of its location.

It's right next to Faneuil Hall with all its shops and restaurants; a metro T stop is at the corner of the hotel; and a parking garage is nearby.

Another alternative to try is hotels in the Financial district during the holidays since businesses are closed. You can check out :
Hilton Boston Financial District (www.hilton.com)
Club Quarters Boston (www.clubquarters.com)
Shawmut Inn (www.shawmutinn.com)

patrick

by Agraichen

I've not stayed in my "home town" in years so my info would be out of date on hotels. Check the Marriott site for Courtyards (ok I'm a M fan), or any number of other budget hotels. Staying in Salem you will have to take the train then transfer to the T unless it has expanded greatly over the last few years. Still Salem has it's own charm and if you have the train time...

by alansm

Please check the reviews of the Harborside Inn on Tripadvisor.com. There are some concerns, particularly around noise. Make sure you're not surprised.

Alan

by moirholj

I don't have information to offer about the hotels, but I can say a word on the parking. Driving and parking in Boston is incredibly difficult... especially if you only have 3 days, you really don't want to spend it trying to drive around a new city on a holiday. I would suggest that whereever you do stay, make sure it is on the T and has a parking space for your car. I would leave the car there the whole time and use the T to get around.

My only concern about the T would be to find out what time the last train is to your hotel area. When I lived in Boston they did not run 24 hours. As far as safety goes, just use the same caution that you would in any big city and you will be fine. I hope you have a great time!

Comments