370 Commonwealth Ave., Boston, Massachusetts, 02215, United States
Official Website Booking.com Expedia.com

Costs 52% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Eliot Hotel

Fantastic even during a blizzard!

by TripAdvisor Member MelissaMac

My husband and I just returned from a really nice weekend at the Eliot in Boston - during the Blizzard of 2005. The hotel is fairly small and has a restaurant and bar on the main level. We had a one bedroom suite on the 4th floor (#403) which was probably one of their smaller suites, but it was perfect for 2 people. The room was tastefully decorated, with king bed, a couch and 2 chairs in the living room, and a desk with high speed internet acess (which we didn't use). The bathroom was definitely small and a bit old but I could care less about bathroom size as long as the shower is good which it was. We were told that guests can use the Boston Sports Club facilities about 1 block away for free but we did not use them.

The location is perfect - 1 block from Newbury St. with all of the shops and restaurants you can imagine. (Try Piatinni for dinner - it's a great wine bar.)

From the time we checked in until the time we checked out (24 hours later than originally planned) the staff at the front desk, bell hop, housekeeping and room service were AMAZING. Everyone was extremely nice and very helpful. We were there under somewhat stressful conditions due to one of the largest snowfalls Boston has seen in recent years (24"+ of snow).

The hotel had valet parking which was a necessity during the snow emergency. It takes 30 minutes to retrieve your car but we were told that upon arriving so we were careful to plan ahead and call the front desk when we knew we were going to need our car. Even though the garage was closed until 7 a.m. and we needed our car at 5 a.m. to catch our flight on Monday morning (at least we thought we did) , the front desk clerk gladly parked our car in an adjacent lot for us so we could get it out. We even had them retrieve our car VERY early on Monday morning, only to realize that our flight was canceled. They returned our car to the garage without even grumbling (at least to our faces!).

After waking up to the blizzard on Sunday morning, we quickly realized that flying back to DC was going to be a challenge. We called the front desk in the morning and they said not to worry about checking out at the usual time and that we should just let them know what our plans are. Since we had a great deal of $175 per night for the weekend, we figured we would get gouged on the on the Sunday night price. Not to worry though - they offered us the same rate as the weekend for Sunday night even though it was last minute. We gladly took them up on it.

Room service was very quick and good (get the Boston Cream Pie). No complaints there.

People who complained that it is not the Ritz or Paris, should go to the Ritz or Paris if that's what they are looking for. The Eliot and Boston are neither!

I would highly recommend the Eliot if you are looking for a suite in a great location for a great price.

An absoulte delight

Have stayed on a number of occasions, many times during the Marathon, which goes by the front door and along side the hotel. That can cause inconvience if you are there at that time for traffic. The marthon ends about a 10 minute walk away.
THe staff is warm and welcoming and very helpful. All rooms are suites and are perfect..
The restraunt Clio is among the top 3 in Boston.

Great Deal

by TripAdvisor Member lcinla

Stayed at The Eliot for one night on March 18th with my mother and my 14 year old son. We were very pleased with the hotel and our suite in particular. The Eliot has a deal where you can find a great rate through Orbitz or other such companies and they will match the lowest rate you get. We got a true one-bedroom suite with two queen beds and a large sitting room that had a queen-size sleeper sofa. Ideal for a family traveling with children. THe room was beautifully appointed, the bathrobes and towels were fluffy, the water pressure we excellent and the water was hot (my biggest beef about most hotels!). Room service was fast even late on a Friday and I highly recommend the lobster/clam chowder -- it was to die for! The staff were all very accommodating and nice and they have an arrangement with a limo/town car service that beats any rates I was able to find. The hotel is located right around the corner from a great shopping district (think Melrose Ave) and steps from the T and bus stops. Stay here! You can't beat the value.

We were so disappointed

We had high expectations based on a recommendation. But lack of service, condescending service (at their Clio restaurant) and inability of staff to correct any problems made this stay regrettable. The waiter was insulting. It took more than an hour to get our car. After realizing our suite was too small for us, we upgraded and moved to a larger room. After unpacking in our new room, we were called by the staff who informed us that the new rate would be higher than what they had told us. There was no turndown service (glasses and dishes were not cleared between cocktails and bedtime.) Just getting ice required a phone call to the front desk and took far too long to arrive. It was noisy even though we were on the 7th floor. Stay away.

Lovely atmosphere, but curtains did not close.

We have stayed at the Elliot a number of times over the last 15 years. We began staying there when the children were small, because the two-room suite arrangement is perfect for a family with children. We have always loved the atmosphere of the Elliot.
Recently they began redecorating rooms and the curtains in the redecorated rooms do not meet in the middle, allowing too much morning light. We found we were awakened at dawn by the light, and had no way of closing the curtains, or blocking the light. We looked at several rooms and found this was true of all the redecorated rooms that we saw. The management moved us to one of the rooms that had not been redecorated and that solved the problem.
If they park your car, re-gaining the car can be slow and confused. One must simply double check, and recheck, that they know, well ahead, when the car is wanted.

I am sure you could find better

I did not like this place at all - if you like the old style - flowery and old then go ahead. I thought the rooms were old and needed updating - there were dead bugs in my window the bathrooms were old and very basic and small. the service was OK but I just think it needs a lot of work - I had a suite and it was aged. The internet didn't work and you had to pay. I would not stay again. they do have updated rooms but they are exactly the same but with newer furnishings.

Service has declined in the past several years

We stayed at the Eliot for two nights at the end of July and were disappointed. We had stayed in the Eliot several times in 1998 and 1999 and loved it. But, the service has definitely declined since then. A short list of problems: We were there during a heat wave and the air conditioning in the room could barely keep up - the room stayed in the high seventies and never could get cooler. The minibar refrigerator did not work, and even mentioning it twice to the staff provided no solution. Room service delivered a meal with no cutlery and then rushed us to finish so they could pick up the tray. We did get a reasonably good deal - $265 per night for a suite, but at that price the service quality needs to improve.

Quiet Elegance

by TripAdvisor Member LAPlatinum

The Eliot is a beautifully-appointed boutique hotel within about a five minute walk from the convention center, incredible restaurants of every description, and astonishing shopping. I stayed for three nights in late July and loved the place. First, let me say that if you are looking for a cheap place, this is not it. Bargain hunters look elsewhere. A hotel of this caliber is not meant to resemble in any way a Holiday Inn. On the other hand, if you don't mind spending some coin, then you will get every penny you pay for. Second, if you are looking for a view hotel, then look by the Charles. This gorgeous property is situated on a tree-lined street and is not intended to give you panoramic vistas. My room was upgraded from the standard room at no extra charge to a massive suite with a separate wet bar area, a gorgeous sitting room, and a huge bedroom with king sized bed. The room looked out on airconditioning vents and backstreet parking, but again, I was not there for the view. Everything was gorgeous, from the furniture to the robes in the closet. I had breakfast one morning at the cafe and must say that it was Denny's quality food set in a gorgeous dining room. Perhaps it was just my particular order, but even the buffet was not impressive-looking. That was my only complaint about the Eliot.

If you want to feel pampered....try this

Over the years, I have stayed at the Eliot Suites Hotel many times for medical conferences in Boston. It cannot be beat for attention to detail. its personal touches, the large and elegant newly-decorated suites, the courtesy and professionalism of staff, the cleanliness and comfort of the beds, and its two five star restaurants, Clio (a formal california-continental restaurant) and Uno (a more casual Japanese bar). Gym facilities are available for guests. Another important feature for me is its proximity to major conference meeting halls in downtown Boston, and shopping on Newberry Street, all within pleasant walking distance. Additional upgrades greet the traveller with every visit.

A Real Gem

I took my son to Fenway for his birthday and we stayed as a treat at The Eliot and had dinner the after the game at Uni, the sashimi bar off the lobby of the hotel where my son spotted Jim Brady. Boy, was my kid excited: the brand new, suites were unbelievably beautiful, with luxury amenities and very kind service. We were all very impressed with our stay and can't wait to do the same next year. It mad our Boston experience very special.

Custom House TowerCustom House Tower

live lobsterslive lobsters

menumenu

lettuce wrapslettuce wraps

place to live in or around boston

by bigjdevil

i am travelling to boston on august 1 and leaving on august 14. can someone tell me a cheap place to live in boston or nearby places to live like somerville cambridge, or any Mbta accessble place for 15 days??

Re: place to live in or around boston

by alansm

How "cheap" are we talking here?

Re: place to live in or around boston

by bocmaxima

I would try the sublease and roommates section of Craig's List first, if you're traveling alone. There are lots of rooms and sometimes small apartments for rent on there, they would be cheap, and you may be able to negotiate staying for just two weeks. I say traveling alone, because these situations do not normally accept couples and/or children.
There's also Extended Stay hotel properties (http://extendedstayhotels.com/). They have weekly rates and, often if you contact the property directly, you can negotiate them down even further. I usually get them through Hotwire and have stayed at one in Woburn, which is a long walk to the commuter train station or a bus ride into Boston.
Distance from a MBTA ("T") stop should be your first question though. You may end up having to rely on a bus to get to the train through and being relatively far out in the suburbs. Boston and Cambridge generally won't be very cheap.

Comments