Fifteen Beacon

Hotels.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Costs 76% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Fifteen Beacon

Gotta love XV Beacon!

What's not to love about it? A stay at the Beacon is tantamount to experiencing a work of art from the inside.
A smooth and stylish elevator ride will lead you to a superbly appointed bedroom, complete with a modern yet classic four-poster bed as well as your very one fireplace (yep, even in the least expensive rooms).
The list of good surprises could go on and on and on: your own temporary business cards, complimentary car service within the city, a comfy ottoman in your bedroom, good sound system, rooftop gym & garden, etc.
This hotel is a beauty AND the staff is friendly. Highly recommended!

High Expectations Not Met at XV Beacon in Boston

by TripAdvisor Member Julie4570

We booked a few nights at XV Beacon with the intent of spoiling ourselves at Christmas. The decor and welcome by the staff was quite nice, the bar is great fun and well served, and the location is excellent for sightseeing in Boston (e.g., just up from the Common and tourbus stops). We were very disappointed, however, with the staff's reaction to an incident that housekeeping was directly responsible for. After returning to our room, we discovered that my eyeglasses were missing. We reported this to the staff, who unfortunately were unsympathetic and disinterested. After taking our concerns about the loss as well as the staff reaction to the manager, it was deduced that our room attendant had tangled up the glasses in towels to be sent to the laundry. The laundry service took a full day to return my glasses to me, and when they did, the glasses were filthy, damaged, and ultimately unwearable. At no time did the any of the hotel staff, including the manager, apologize for the incident or offer any sort of recompense (we would have even appreciated a drink in the bar). Given the high cost of this hotel and the reviews we had read about it before booking there, we were very surprised and disappointed by this treatment. Needless to say, we will take our business elsewhere in the future, as there are many other lovely and welcoming places to stay in this area.

Simply the best.

by TripAdvisor Member MaryTMaine

My husband and I love this hotel. The decor, the staff, the location, the concierge, the Federalist--all are first class. We really wouldn't consider staying anywhere else when we visit Boston (unless we are bringing our kids!) and highly recommend it even at the price.

Several years ago we even sent my parents from N.C. to XV Beacon for an anniversary getaway. The staff looked after them as if they were extended family, and even left a complimentary anniversary cake in their room one evening.

The people who work at XV Beacon seem to genuinely enjoy serving their customers--not always the Boston mentality, if you know what I mean.

If you want a special getaway with your spouse or partner anytime of the year--this is truly a special place.

Very Personalized!

I have to say that after staying at some of the best five star accommodations in the US as well as in Europe and Asia I have a warm place in my heart for 15 Beacon. This hotel, while being one of the priciest in this area, does not disappoint. I felt right at home, and being a young single woman who travels quite often for business this is saying a lot. The concierge and Front Desk seemed to pick up on my attitude as well as taylored their advice about Boston directly for me. The staff was friendly but was certainly not intrusive and the room was immaculately clean. I love the amenities and even though I am Very picky about the products I use on my hair, etc I still love the products they offer in all of the rooms! Overall, I will never hesitate to stay at 15 Beacon and will always highly recommend it!

THE BEST hotel in Boston!

My husband surprised me with a stay at Fifteen Beacon for our 6 month anniversary. Not only was I impressed with his incredible taste in decor, but the hotel staff all greeted us with smiles, our names and a genuine concern that our evening be perfect! I felt like a millinaire with connections! The Mercedes whisked us to our dinner destination and the driver, Mark took us there in 5 minutes flat! It was perfect service with a gracious smile that was found in every way, shape & form throughout the hotel & restaurant. The room itself was so classically modern and elegant! I loved the music, fireplace and the beds were so comfortable!!! To top off the experience, the oversized shower head awoke me from the hibernation that was my slumber (did I mention the beds were great?). If I ever go to Boston again I cannot and will not stay anywhere else - it is worth every single penny!!!!!

Disappointed with the service

We stayed at Beacon XV based on the rave reviews re: service and although we were given a room upgrade and the room was nice, we were very disappointed in the service. Each of the problems taken individually were not big, but cumulatively they were aggravating and impacted our stay in a negative way. There was not a safe in our room despite two staff members assuring us it was there (the bellman finally came up and said it must have been picked up for service). The LCD TV in the bathroom did not work, they promised to come fix it, never heard from anyone. The fireplace shut off after five minutes. In the morning they delivered the wrong newpaper and breakfast was late and incomplete. Additionally my shoes were not returned from overnight shoe shine and when we called the front desk they said they had no record of picking them up. They eventually found them but coincidentally we met a woman who laughed about the hotel delivering a pair of shoes to her room that did not belong to her husband. Who wants to pay $400 a night for such lapses in service? In the past we have stayed at the Four Seasons and been quite pleased with the service, which is where we will stay when we return to Boston.

Super stylish, but not that comfortable

by TripAdvisor Member SkyeTraveler

First, the good stuff: this is a super-stylish hotel in a wonderful location, near the Boston Common and state house. I stayed in a standard room, and the decor is first rate. The finishes are beautiful -- wenge woods and stainless steel -- and witty (check out the mantel above the fireplace.) Very comfortable bed. Lovely molding and trim. Lots of gadgetry -- definitely more of a masculine hotel than I'm used to. I imagined Mr. Big of Sex and the City living here.

Now the not-so-great stuff: For all of its stylishness, I didn't find this a particularly comfortable hotel. The standard rooms are small and feel cramped. And the room -- in fact the entire hotel -- is very dark, made worse by all that dark woodwork. Unfortunately, the hotel is wedged in among a lot of taller buildings, so not a lot of natural light can get in. I tried opening the curtains, but my room looked straight into an office building -- so close I could see the family pictures on the employees' desks! Maybe the larger rooms or ones on higher floors don't have this problem. But you'll probably pay through the nose for them.

The lobby, or what there is of one, is also small and dark. There's seating, but only for waiting while checking in or out. I didn't try the Federalist for dinner, but I did have breakfast there. It's a beautiful restaurant, and I'm sure the darkness makes for some romantic dinners. But for breakfast, I would have preferred a lot more natural light.

I wish I could rave about the service, as other reviewers have. But although it was fine, there was nothing warm or special about it. I had to laugh at the turndown service. There was a knock on my door, and when I opened it, two young women were outside: "Turn down. You want it?" Now that's Boston directness! But at these rates, you have a right to expect something a tad more refined. The doorman was good, though.

Bottom line: I would say this is worth doing once, as a splurge. But I don't think it's a hotel I would return to. It's a treat for the eyes, but not the soul. My search for the ideal Boston hotel -- for the perfect combination of style, comfort, space, service, location, and price -- continues.

Wonderful attention to detail

What an elegant gem of a hotel! Stayed here for only one night, but the quality of the staff was evident in such a short stay. The room was absolutely perfect in detail- from the gas fireplace to the tv in the bathroom. Can't say enough about the details in the room compared to other top hotels we have stayed in around the world. It feels more like an upscale apartment than a hotel! And breakfast in the restaurant was perfect. The location is also convenient- walk to all the tourist places- or just stroll on Beacon Hill. We'll stay longer next time!

Wonderful weekend getaway

AFter a very stressful ride into Boston, we were greeted by the valet staff who assisted us in unloading our luggage, parked our vehicle, and later retrieved our jackets out of our car. We were immediately welcomed by the front desk staff who were well-prepared for our arrival with prompt service and a welcoming demeanor. Our room was beautifully laid out with a spacious bathroom and living area. We were then welcomed to the hotel with a delightful fruit and cookie plate. The bellhop was very prompt with our luggage and gave us a tour of the room upon our arrival. The front desk staff were extremely helpful in answering all of our questions and meeting our requests. Concierage was very accomodating in booking last minute dinner reservations at a superb restaurant on a very busy Saturday evening. Although an older establisment, the XV exhibited outstanding service as well as beautiful accomodations.

The XV Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member stooge86

We loved It!!! My husband and I stayed there Feb 05 - Feb 07 2005.

It was beautiful and romantic, The staff was very helpful. if you can splurge on this do.

Ready to shopReady to shop

more barmore bar

cheerscheers

insideinside

Need help on hotels, please

by sppunk

I will be visiting the City in late August and need some information on two areas - the Back Bay and Downtown. I would like to stay in a hotel that is within walking distance to many things and close to the T (preferably green line).

Does anyone know any hotels that have balconies in this area with magnificant views, and the pros/cons to staying in these two areas versus each other?

Thank you, this is my first time posting here and I hope all works out well!

by Easty

Keeping within walking distance of the T is a great idea IMO. The city, in my opinion, is worse to drive than New York. I stayed in the suburbs on my last trip at an Econo Lodge in Malden. That was close to the Orange Line. I was a graduate student at the time. That worked out pretty well. Keep in mind that hotels in downtown Boston are pretty expensive.

by marca

I visit Boston a few times a year to visit my son. I have been able to get a weekend room thru PriceLine in Copley/Back Bay for $75 to$85 per nite. We usually park the car and either walk or 'T' to different areas. The Green line stops both in Copley and Arlington. I have yet to stay in a Boston Hotel with a balcony! I would think that it would be very noisey (Boston drivers honk horns all night). This section is close to the Boston Common, Newbury street, Beacon Hill and Shopping areas.

Marc

by jaykaym

I live across the river in Cambridge, but here are a couple of hotels that I recommend to friends and family. (Note that none of them have balconies -- the best balcony in Boston is probably to be found at either the Ritz Carleton or Four Seasons overlooking the Public Gardens. I shudder to think of how costly such a room would be - probably more than $400/night). My favorite downtown and Back Bay hotels are:
1. Nine Zero (90 Tremont St) - A new, chic hotel that recently opened and is located downtown. Rooms are usually very expensive (over $200-300/night); however, because it is new, it has been offering incredible deals. A friend stayed there recently for less than $110/night. I'd try it to see if you get lucky.
2. Newbury Guest House (261 Newbury St) - A small hotel with the atmosphere of an old Boston men's club. It is in a wonderful location in the Back Bay area.
3. Club Quarters (161 Devonshire) - Hotel located downtown that usually offers the best values given its central location.
4. Copley Square Hotel (47 Huntington) - Lovely, old hotel that usually is expensive but sometimes offers real deals. It is also centrally located.

Best of luck!

by hrta1978

I would stay at XV Beacon Hotel! It's small, intimate and extremely elegant... better than any ritz or four seasons...

help with hotels in hotels in boston!

by kiershay

can anyone help me decide which hotel to stay in?these are the options in the brochure i have to use :-the midtown
the omni parker
the boston park plaza
copley square
the radisson
i just cant decide, the best area for sites, safety and getting around. thanks for any help. we are going in june what will the weather be like? any good tips for bars or restaurants
would be a help. we are in our forties so we dont need any night clubs ha ha!

by kiershay

oops sorry didn't think i'd posted my question!
kiershay

by diver-x

I'd say the least favorable location would be The Midtown.

The Boston Park Plaza and The Radisson are probably in the best location. The Copley Square Hotel at 47 Huntington Ave seems pretty convenient too. They're all pretty close together, near Copley Square, in Back Bay. You're close to the Back Bay and Copley T stops, so most attractions are just a T-ride away. Plenty of restaurants and shopping at your door. Stroll Boylston St, Newbury St and Tremont St. for great restaurant choices.

The Parker House is closer to the more historic parts of Boston. Beacon Hill, The Common, Quincy Market, The North End. . . Still plenty of shopping nearby at Downtown Crossing and plenty of public transit: State St and Park St T-stops are a short walk away. Maybe not so many upscale restaurant options as the Copley area, but you won't be lacking.

Never stayed at any of these hotels so I can't say anything about the rooms, though I have heard the Parker House rooms are small.

June will most likely be quite pleasant - probably in the 70's. Might be a chance of warmer, humid weather too, but you never know. This is New England after all...

by weatherguy

I've never stayed in any of the hotels (after all, I live here) but the locations are all ok. The Park Plaza is probably the most centrally located (just a block from the Public Garden) and the Copley Sq. is good for the Back Bay. The Parker House is close to Beacon Hill, Quincy Market, the waterfront and North End. Since Boston is a terrific walking city, they are all within walking distance of most attractions.

Boston is one of the safest cities in the USA. You can walk around and not have to be too concerned (ignore the homeless beggers).

Have a good time!

by Aimdogg

I would suggest you also look into the XV Beacon Hotel. I have heard great things about it, as long as you don't mind the price (but it might not be any more expensive as some of your other choices.) This is a small, independent boutique hotel where they really make you feel special

go to: www.xvbeacon.com

Amy

Re: Re: help with hotels in hotels in boston!

by kiershay

thanks for your replies. they have been a help to me. aimdogg i have to choose from a brochure that only has these hotels but thanks anyway.

Comments