Four Seasons Boston

Costs 89% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about Four Seasons Boston

Top Notch

by TripAdvisor Member Canadaraveller

My wife and I just spent 4 nights at the Four Seasons Boston. It is a wonderful hotel in a perfect location to explore Boston. The rooms are spacious and the bed and duvet were very comfortable. The service was second to none.....if you can't be pleased here than you can't be pleased anywhere. Bravo.

great getaway

by TripAdvisor Member SirTeddy

My wife and I stayed at the Four Seasons for a four night stay in July as part of a conference I was attending. Since the company that hosted the conference booked many rooms at the hotel at that time, I was able to reserve a room for only $195 per night(very reasonable for a Four Seasons). The "regular" rate is extremely expensive especially if you stay during the week.

The room we stayed in was quite large and tastefully furnished. We had a view of the street behind the hotel(unfortunately we could not get a room with a view of the Public Garden). All of the lights in the room had dimmers (nice touch). The bed was extremely comfortable. The big screen LCD TV was great and a pleasure to watch. The bathroom was very large and provided high end soaps and shampoos.

There is twice daily maid service and the evening turn down service provides you with bottled water.

There are many little things about the hotel that some might not notice but are very important to me when I stay at a hotel. The air conditioning system worked well and was very quiet. I have stayed at many hotels where each time the air conditioning goes on or off, it makes a lot of noise. You also do not hear what is going on in adjoining rooms or in the hallways.

Instead of the traditional chocolate on your pillow before you sleep, the hotel offers free shoe shines. My wife and I both took advantage of this service. You are also given three choices of newspapers for the morning.

The pool area was very nice and was located on a higher floor which provides a view of the city. Fruit and magazines were provided at no additional charge.

The service throughout the hotel is excellent. All of the staff is very friendly and always ready to help. The property is kept in an immaculate state. We actually saw a housekeeper dusting the baseboard in the hallway on our floor late one night.

The location of the hotel is fantastic. It faces the Boston Common and is within walking distance of almost anything you would want to see or visit.

Like in most high end hotels in large American cities, parking is expensive (almost $40 per night). You are allowed however to take your car as many times as you want during the day without any additional charge.

The morning we checked out, we decided to have the breakfast buffet at the Bristol lounge. Although the food and service was excellent, the price was $38 per person not including tax or gratuity.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay very much and would like to return however I doubt that I would do so if I had to pay the regular rate.

Excellent choice

by TripAdvisor Member tripindicular1

Excellent choice in Boston. Great location that is a few blocks from Copley Plaza, Newbury St. , etc. I expected more opulence in the lobby, but our suite was beautiful and perfectly maintained. Concierges and housekeeping went above and beyond at all times. There is a large and well-situated (view of Boston Common / Public Garden) gym and indoor pool. After our experience I would not consider staying anywhere else while in Boston.

Very Over-rated

by TripAdvisor Member jwb2

We have stayed at many upscale hotels, both in the US and in Europe, and we were very disappointed with the Four Seasons. This is the first time that we stayed in a Four Seasons, previously staying more in the Ritz Carlton hotels, so we decided to give it a try. First, we had to wait for our room and we were not the only ones. It was not ready until an hour after check-in and then the original room that we requested was not offered to us. To compensate, they directed us to the lounge and invited us to have a complimentary drink. Initially, they had said something about upgrading us due to our wait but this never happened and unfortunately, we didn't push it. I had not been feeling well and all I really wanted to do was get into our room. The check-in process was definitely unpleasant. Also, there is no "wow" factor to this hotel. When you are spending upwards of $500.00 a night for a deluxe garden view room, I was expecting some kind of luxurious room. The linens on the bed were just OK, the bathroom is a tub/shower combination with a shower curtain (glass enclosures are much classier and less claustrophobic), there is only one sink in the bathroom and the room is not overly large. Also, one of the courtesy bathrobe's was dirty. There were spots on many of the chairs in the Bristol Lounge and on the chairs in the Lobby. This was unacceptable as far as we were concerned. We definitely feel that some major upgrading should be done in order to classify this as an "upscale hotel."

Would have been disappointed...

by TripAdvisor Member childrens1

if we had paid for this trip ourselves. The two night stay at the Boston Four Seasons was part of a trip my husband was awarded by his company. After having had the opportunity in the past to stay at other 4 and 5 start hotels, we were both very excited to have the chance to try a Four Seasons. I had gone on line and priced a room and was surprised to see the cost at $750.00 per night. Perhaps based on that our expectations had been heightened.
The location is great. We were warmly greeted and check in was quick and efficient. We were told that we had been upgraded to a room overlooking the Common on the 7th floor, which is the next to the top floor. The room was average size and had all the amenities one would expect in a hotel of this calibre, including a flat screened T.V. The bathroom was a bit larger than standard, but only had one sink and a tub/shower combination with a shower curtain that didn't do a particularly good job. The bed linens were very nice and the bed very comfortable. The towels had started to get a bit thin. We were there for just a few minutes when my husband stepped in some wet cherrios that must have been left from a previous guest. I later noticed some more of the cereal on the other side of the room.
If you can avoid parking at the hotel you should...the charge is $39/nt. Also, I had breakfast in the room the first morning and it cost $35.00. I guess if you are able and willing to pay $750 a night for a room the parking and food costs won't faze you. The location and service were excellent, but neither of us felt the room was worth anywhere near $750. You're paying for the name when you stay here.

Seriously lacking

by TripAdvisor Member cgjb30

This particular Four Seasons property was absolutely forgettable.
From the moment we pulled up, the service was way below expectation.
...sitting in the car with the luggage for several minutes (no bellhop) and having to re-circle the property to get help with the bags, to the missed wake-up call, to waiting for 45 minutes for a coctail server to approach our table in the lounge...everything seemed to be a bit "off".
The saving grace of this hotel (aside from the great location)
would be front desk/management team. They were overall very professional and super courteous.

Overall they get an A!

by TripAdvisor Member BeingGreen

This trip was for a professional meeting and my room was paid for by a corporate sponsor. Upon arrival the taxi was greeted by two bellmen and assistance was offered for my small bag. I declined their help as it was a brief trip and the bag certainly not a problem for me. I went in and straight to the front desk where a very pleasant young woman greeted me.

She told me my bill was paid in full and asked for a credit card for incidentals, then came from behind the counter and walked me to a point in the lobby where she could direct me to the elevators. I thought this was a nice gesture. It was after 11 p.m. and I was weary.

When I arrived at my room on the third floor I found that the room was more like three rooms--there was an entry area with a closet holding slippers and ample hangers, a bathroom to the left with a tub/shower and L'Occitane toiletries, and then the spacious bedroom straight ahead. It had more of a suite or apartment feel than the standard hotel room. The only immediately noticeable feature was the small window.

There were robes in the bathroom as well as a phone on the wall by the toilet and a large lighted magnifying mirror.

The bedroom contained two comfortable club chairs with a small table, a desk with a chair, two bureaus, and two nightstands as well as a king-sized bed with padded headboard and a bench at the foot of the bed. There were multiple lamps and dimmer switches.

There was a large flat screen television that swiveled so that it could be viewed from the bed or from the chairs. One bureau contained drawers as well as a well-stocked mini-bar. There was bottled water in the room and as far as I could tell there was no additional charge for drinking it. There were also multiple magazines, stationery, pens, pencils, and attractive notepads by the two telephones. There was an ethernet cable in the desk drawer and internet connectivity. There was a guide to the television stations available.

There was no in-room coffeemaker and I would have dearly loved to have had one.

The window above the desk was small and looked out on what appeared to be a rooftop area with green grass growing on it. There was some sky to be seen, but overall a rather unexciting view.

Twenty-four hour room service is offered which I was happy to hear as it was approaching midnight. I ordered room service immediately upon arrival and the food arrived at the stated time and was hot. Everything I ordered arrived and there were fresh flowers on the linen covered table.

There was a door tag in the room asking which newspaper I preferred and the next morning the paper was hanging in a burlap fabric bag on the handle of the door to my room. I also left a breakfast request there that night and the breakfast was as I ordererd it. The cream was left off of the service, but before I had noticed someone arrived at my door with an apology and a pitcher. The food was good, well presented, hot, and delivered precisely at the time I requested it delivered.

I am very fond of room service when traveling and often the person taking the order is not familiar with the menu, but the staff here never hesitated when I gave my order and they were
very specific in telling me when the meal would be delivered.

I also did not know where the meeting I was to attend was to be held and when i called the desk to ask for assistance the person who took my call was very helpful.

The following day it was raining when I had to go out of the hotel and the staff near the door offered me an umbrella which I gladly took and upon my return they were quick to take the wet umbrella from me and store it.

I had one unpleasant experience here.

I was part of a group and we were all in the hotel. Due to a communication problem we found ourselves without lunch reservations. We had thought that lunch was part of a tour we were taking of a nearby company, but realized that their invitation had been for dinner upon completion of the tour so we returned to the hotel hoping to eat and resume our meeting.

There were eight of us and we asked to be seated in the hotel restaurant. We were given a table and our drink orders were taken immediately, but then we waited and waited and waited before our lunch orders were taken. I did not look at my watch but one of our members said that it was close to 40 minutes before we were asked for our meal choices. We assumed that perhaps it was because we did not have reservations as the young woman at the desk had seemed a bit perplexed when we arrived with so many for lunch without reservations.

Some of our group was still finishing their meal when the same woman who we had first approached for seating came to our table and said that we needed to leave so she could seat a group who had a reservation and that we should not order dessert. It was quite awkward and oneof our members still had a good bit of her food yet to eat. Two of our group complained to the manager about the woman asking us to leave.

The gentleman apologized for the rudeness of the young woman and offered us free desserts and drinks after dinner that evening or a free breakfast for the following day. I had to leave early and have no idea if anyone took them up on the offier, but this experience was in great contrast to all my other experiences at this property. For the most part the staff went out of the way to meet expectations of the guests. My only thought was that because we did not have reservations the young lady thought she would help us by getting us in and out, but did not convey the need for this to the waitstaff and somehow we were ignored or confused with the later group--I am just not sure, but she did not handle the situation well when she attempted to hurry us out to make the table available to the group coming behind us and it left a rather unpleasant feeling among us to be told to leave our meal this way.

When we returned to the room where we were meeting the coffee and teas we had ordered for our meeting had been removed which was also annoying as we had hoped to have tea in the room to finish our meeting and instead there was nothing left. The coffee and tea service we had ordered up cost us more than eighty dollars and only two cups of coffee had been utilized from the service prior to our lunch--expensive cups of coffee!!!

When I checked out there was a different clerk at the desk but she was efficient and pleasant and thanked me for my stay.

All in all I would give the hotel a high rating. There are so many good restaurants in the area that I would probably not eat on-site on a return visit --but I would order room service. I found the charges of the meals to be extremely high. I have had food as good for probably about half of the cost here. The bunless burger served on a bed of greens was among the lowest cost items on the restaurant menu and it was $19--this for a ground sirloin patty topped with cheese and two slices of bacon over sliced tomatoes, and a variety of lettuce. The burger was no better than that found at Ruby Tuesdays or a similar chain.

Others in our party reported similar findings from their orders--a caesar salad with chicken was $28, more than $30 with shrimp and more than $40 with lobster. Bread was served with the entrees, but there were additional costs for sides and drinks. The menu was not that exciting--two soup choices, several salads, sandwiches and burgers, and perhaps four or five entrees of chicken, fish, or beef.

Based on the uneven reviews previously posted I was not sure what to expect from this trip. I think if I had been paying for the room I would have probably been more disappointed by the view and I have stayed in less expensive places with more luxurious bathrooms--separate showers and baths, etc. so I would have felt this was a poor value for the price paid.

However, there was a lot of attention to detail--the hair dryer was stored in a fabric bag, the extra roll of toilet paper provided was in its own fabric covered pouch, free shoe shining offered, etc. And the best part was that the room was extremely quiet. I never heard another guests nor did I hear the removal of the room service items when i left the table outside my room and called for pick-up. It was a very quiet place.

I was surprised to learn on this website that this is known as the best hotel in new England or the only 5-star hotel in New England as that does seem quite a stretch! No complaints that would prevent me from returning.

Could not be any better

by TripAdvisor Member SaratogaJon

Stayed at the Four Seasons during the past weekend. We opted to upgrade to a suite and we were given a really nice room overlooking the park. However, upon leaving the room at night for a walk, we noticed that the door was easily opened if you pushed on the door (no key required). We called down to the front desk, they apologized, and a bellman QUICKLY came up to the room to move our luggage to a new room. The new "room" was three times the size of our previous suite. Nice gesture to make up for the slight inconvenience of moving rooms.

Excellant service, great location--walking distance to everything. Ask to use the courtesy car to take you around town---much nicer than a taxi. Room service prices were a bit high.....but since we arrived late, all the local restaurants were closed, so we did not have much of a choice.

Overall, would certainly stay here again in the future.

Best Hotel in Boston

The Four Seasons in Boston is a wonderful hotel. I have stayed there a number of times and never been disappointed. First the location, the hotel overlooks the Public Gardens in Boston and is a short walk to the shops on Newbury Street or the theatre district. So if you are visiting Boston this is a great location, with virtually everything within walking distance (even Fenway Park is only a 20 minute walk). The hotel is what you expect of a “relatively” new Four Seasons. The front entrance can get a bit busy, so waiting for your car or waiting for the valet to take your car is not uncommon…but it really isn’t an issue.

They have a great lounge on the first floor where you can have dinner or a drink. The entire lounge overlooks the Public Gardens and is a great place to relax after an evening out. The more expensive and formal restaurant is Aujourd’hui, on the second floor. The food, service and menu are all excellent, but for the price you can probably do better elsewhere.

My favorite part of the hotel is the indoor pool and health club on the 8th floor. The pool overlooks the Public Gardens, and you can relax by the pool on a Sunday morning with coffee and a newspaper all provided poolside. There is also a great whirlpool, sauna, steam room and complete workout facility. Every time we go to this hotel it seems we spend most of our time working out and relaxing poolside…even in the winter.

As for the rooms, during our last visit we stayed in one of the smaller suites overlooking the Public Garden. These suites have two rooms separated by French doors. I have read complaints, which are true, if you want to stay up late and watch TV or work in the living room, the French doors do not hide the light or the sound…so you will keep up who ever is trying to sleep. Nevertheless, the rooms have beautiful furniture, a very comfortable bed, large bay windows and two large plasma TVs. The only complaint I have is that the bathroom is next to the main door, would have preferred if it was adjacent to the bedroom. Regardless, we were very happy with the accommodations.

There really isn’t anything negative to say about this property, each time I have stayed there I have been impressed with the staff and the quality of the accommodations. I highly recommend this hotel, it certainly is the best in Boston….at least until the Mandarin Oriental opens up…

Superb stay

by TripAdvisor Member FirmFairandFriendly

We spent two nights at the Four Seasons in Boston earlier this week. Check in was a delight. The bellman was cordial and efficient. Our room was clean, neat and had a great view. We had breakfast in our room one morning, and with the exception of two items that were not what we ordered, our breakfast was superb. We were impressed that our hot breakfast items arrived hot, and our cold items arrived cold. Housekeeping was exceptional, however, we received a wake-up call at 4:30 AM that was not intended for our room. We have stayed at both the Ritz and the Four Seasons in the past month, and there are aspects of each that we enjoy. There is nothing like walking out the door of the Ritz to Newbury Street. The area behind the Four Seasons looks a little shady, as does the area to the right of the Four Seasons. Newbury Street is a few blocks away. The only disappointment (other then the unintended wake-up call) came when the valet returned our car to us, and it had a coffee cup in it that was not ours. We leave for the St. Regis in New York tomorrow. It will be interesting to compare the Ritz, Four Seasons and St. Regis.

Comments