140 Clarendon Street, Boston, Massachusetts, 02116, United States

Expedia.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

Costs 35% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• RekaD's Profile Photo

140 Clarendon

We arrived at Hotel 140 at 7am after coming in on a red eye. Check-in time wasn’t until 3pm, but the staff was so nice and accommodating. They didn’t have a room available for us at 7am, but they called us on our cell as soon as a room was available at 10:30am.

Conveniently located between Back Bay and the South End, right near the Hancock Tower, Hotel 140 is walking distance to Newbury Street, Copley Square, the Boston Common, Downtown Crossing, and more! The historic building dates back to 1929 and was the nation’s first headquarters of the YWCA. The building underwent a complete renovation in 2005, and the results are gorgeous! The hotel shares the historic address with the Terra Cotta Café, the Lyric Stage Company of Boston, the YWCA of Boston, apartments, and a flower shop.

The hotel has just 55 rooms in the building, some rooms have a double bed, while others have only a twin, so as you can imagine, the rooms are on the smallish side. The décor is minimalist and sleek; the beds are very comfortable (if small!); the hotel is very clean; and for the area, the rates are super reasonable.

There’s no sign outside the hotel, so you’ll have to look for the address: 140 Clarendon Street.

Hotel 140 does not have parking, but they do offer a deal at the closest parking structure. The discounted rate is still $18 per day, but you’ll find that is quite cheap for Boston.

Convenient to the Green and Orange T Lines (Green Line - Copley stop; Orange Line - Clarendon stop).

Directions: Located behind the John Hancock Tower

More about Hotel 140

Cheap and Reasonable - nothing special

by TripAdvisor Member rpaulw

I found Hotel 140 to be distinctly average - it had the basics of bed/TV/friendly staff. The price reflected this. The location was great, especially if you're coming in at South Station.

Recommended if you're just looking for a bed for a few nights.

Will Come Back

by TripAdvisor Member Wanda22124

Yes, the shower is as small as others have written. But I found Hotel 140 to be a hip, refreshing change from other hotels.

What's right about Hotel 140? The location is certainly ideal, but there's plenty more to appreciate. The hotel's staff--from those at the front desk to those who prepare your room--are kind and friendly, as if they enjoy their job and appreciate your business.

Probably because the rooms either have only a single or double bed, the hotel was void of children, so there were no little feet running up and down the hallways or little ones crying out, giving me the feeling that I wasn't in a hotel. It was so quiet that I couldn't hear the heavy construction going on across the street. Kudos to the manufacturer of the hotel's (large) windows.

Breakfast is served at a cafe on the first floor that is open to the public. The free breakfast for hotel guests consists of one hot drink (and the coffee is delicious), one cold drink (from a selection that includes expensive bottled fruit juices) and one pastry from an array of pastries that looked like the handiwork of a high-end bakery. If that isn't hearty enough for you, one can buy very inexpensively eggs and such from the cafe, whose employees, like Hotel 140's, could not have been more considerate and welcoming.

So what's wrong with Hotel 140? Frankly, the small shower didn't bother me, but I did wish the room had had more wall hooks to accommodate clothes on hangers. The closet in our mid-priced room was an estimated 30 inches tall, too short to handle dresses, skirts, even my husband's shirts. We had packed many of our clothes on hangers and found ourselves struggling to find enough space to hang them on the short bar of wall hooks that was mounted next to the bathroom door.

Small complaint indeed.

Horrible Room-Deceptive Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member 30somethingBizMan

First off, if you stay here, don't expect more than a YMCA with a face-lift. I'm writing this as i could not sleep, laying in bed in this "boutique hotel".

I'm a business person on my first trip to Boston and enjoy staying in boutique hotels to get the full experience/culture of a city. Hotel 140 is in the same building as the YWCA....not good. I believe the property manager for the Y is the owner of the hotel.

Here's the list of what I was surprised of:
Upon pulling up, there's no parking in front of the hotel, no valet and noone to help you in with your bags. If you do double park, you could get a ticket, as it's a "no standing" zone. You can park in public lot, short walk from hotel.

After I checked in (after waiting for an angry YWCA guest complain about the laundry room not being cleaned for a week) and took the "private" elevator up to my room, my room key did not work. I then proceeded to wait 15 minutes in a non-air conditioned hallway (80 degrees outside day) for the "front desk" to figure out a solution. They had to switch my room, since the first room was locked from the inside??

After I got into my room, there was not closet!! The only closet that exists is VERY short (height-wise) - could not even hang my suit or a shirt, without it hitting the ground.

Room size is ok, but no desk and some ikea looking furniture. I'm pretty sure these were rooms from the YWCA that they converted to a "boutique hotel".

There is no lock on the doors from the inside - bizarre.

There is no turn-down service and there's a sign in the elevator that states the continental breakfast is no longer, as of Aug. 1.

In one of the hand towels in the bathroom, there was a long blond hair (I'm a man with short brown hair).

There were stains on my sheets - looked like ink. I wondered when the last time the room was cleaned.

That's about it - DO NOT RECOMMEND staying here for the price. For $20 more per night, go stay at a reputable chain.

Higher room rate doesn't mean better, cleaner or quiet

by TripAdvisor Member FrequentTraveler062

Was statying at the Omni Parker House and was very unhappy with the room. Tired, Very Small, Noisy, Noisy, Noisy - After two nights could not take any longer and checked out.

Checked into the Hotel 140 after seeing a room - Rooms are small but extremely clean and was very quiet. Staff was helpful and location is great. Parking next to hotel is only $25 vs. $38 at Parker House. Business Computer Room available and free as a bonus. Omni rates were $269, 289, 299, 499 on consective nights. 140 was $169 per night and was larger, cleaner and much quieter. Small but adaquate breakfast/lunch area with excellent food and prices. Great Value

Would go back and plan on doing so in the near future.

Don't stay here

by TripAdvisor Member bergmac

Don't be fooled by the suggestion that Hotel 140 is a "boutique" hotel. It is a YWCA that has converted several floors into an over-priced, badly-designed hotel. The beds and pillows are uncomfortable (and tiny), and the walls are paper-thin. We heard EVERYTHING overnight, from the loud people next-door, their toilet, their shower, the elevator, the maid's cell phone ringing the next morning (salsa tones). I got NO decent sleep. Also, the rooms are simply not comfortable. On our floor, at least we had a carpet. But no comfortable furniture, a tiny shower that soaks the bathroom floor when you turn it on... I could go on. We paid over $200 dollars (incl tax) for the room. That price is frankly offensive for what we got. I'm embarassed I paid it.

completely unacceptable

by TripAdvisor Member schochler3

I booked with this hotel because of the rate compared with other hotels in the area. The old adage "you get what you pay for" describes this hotel to a tee.

I am writing this review as I *don't* sleep at hotel 140. Why don't I sleep? Well, for one, about once an hour I get treated to some unexplainable noise, roughly akin to a sledgehammer hitting a shotgun shell. Then, with about the same amount of frequency, I'm treated to the groaning of pipes.

There are some other things about this hotel, in addition to unexplained and loud noises, that cause me to seriously warn folks about staying here:

First, there is no interior lock on my door. That's right, no way for me to lock my door from the inside. Anyone with a master key could walk right in. I could've sworn that was a legal requirement. Secondly, when I turned down my sheets, I found two neatly placed hairs...neither of which were my own. I honestly believe that these sheets were not changed. At the very least, those changing the sheets aren't being very sanitary.

Finally, the term "boutique" is really a deception. It's not trying to define the hotel as "quaint"...it's a warning term that these rooms are very, very small. You want a desk to work at? Forget about it. A closet for your clothes? Not at this hotel.

Ok. You've been warned. If you book inspite of all this, best of luck to you.

Great Location

by TripAdvisor Member Travellingplaces

This hotel is located in a very central area for the attractions in Boston. It's an easy walk to the beginning of the Freedom Trail and has some beautiful streets close by with plenty of cafe's and shopping. The hotel itself is nothing fancy, small beds, no great views from the windows - but it's very clean and has modern looking rooms. The price was good in comparison to other Boston hotels in the area and the staff was polite and helpful. You park in the parkade right beside the hotel and it costs $20.00 a night - bring in the parking ticket to have it validated by the hotel for the parking discount. We'd stay at this hotel again without a doubt due to the locale, the price and the fact that it was very clean.

Good budget hotel, basic, basic, basic

by TripAdvisor Member Paisajista

First of all, we have to start saying that Boston Hotels are quite expensive. So finding a place to stay an average of 120 is a good deal. 140 was very good within this context. It's basic, basic, basic, but they seem to be good at that. Very clean, great location, nice people in the reception. . .it is convenient no doubt.

But, basic, basic, basic.

Good Value, Great location

by TripAdvisor Member greyadventurer

We arrived early but were the receptionist was very helpful and let us book in early as our rooms were ready. The rooms were clean and comfortable (the beds are only average size doubles) . The hotel is really close to 2 'T' stations and so the city is easily accessible even if you don't like to walk. In the evening a second receptionist gave us some excellent advice regarding eating. The hotel's history makes it an interesting building in its own right and its convenience and price makes it a good place to stay. The staff were all extremely helpful. Boston has great food - enjoy it.

Comments