510 Atlantic Avenue, Boston, Massachusetts, 02210, United States

Expedia.com Booking.com IHG

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

• Best Hotel EVER

The hotel is beautiful. It's on the waterfront. And the people were wonderful. We did the priceline thing since we'd never been to Boston and hit the jackpot. The rooms have great views, it's close to a transit station, has parking (for a reasonable price), They also let us check in at 9 a.m.

• Krumlovgirl's Profile Photo

Well, we DID get a good price...

So we were pretty excited about staying at the Boston Intercontinental Hotel over the week of July 4th. Most hotels were outrageous that time of the year and by using Hotwire I got us a rate of $125 a night. I did some extensive research on the place and while I wasn’t completely happy with its location in the Financial District, I did like the fact that it was on the water and within walking distance to Faneuil Hall.

I should add, at this point, that I have a 2 year old and was traveling with my mother and my husband, as well as my child.

Upon checking in at the hotel, we were greeted cheerfully by the doorman and later by the bellman. No problems there. At the front desk, however, it was a different story.
    First, there was the problem of the deposit. The hotel wanted to secure $100 per night as a deposit. Since we were staying 6 nights, that was $600. Now, most hotels want to do this. They also tell you that it’s for “incidentals” like using the mini-bar, ordering room service, and buying movies off of the television. I usually decline it. I stay in 4 and 5 star hotels all the time and as long as they turn off the pay per view movies and disconnect the phone so that you can’t call out there is generally not a problem.

The hotel also tells you that they are not really “holding” the money, just “securing” it. Well, my bank doesn’t know the difference. The minute the hotel runs it through, my bank thinks I made a purchase and that money is as good as gone until the hotel releases it upon checkout. (It should be noted here that I have banked at several different banks and almost everyone I have banked at has done this.)

So the woman here refuses to work with us. She tells us that it is “only” $100 per night and manages to embarrass us in front of everyone in line. Well, to me, $600 is a lot of money. That was my shopping money for the trip!

After several minutes of continuous embarrassment, she finally says that she can do the things that we requested but that we won’t be allowed to eat in any of the restaurants. I retort that yes we can, we’ll just pay cash like normal people and not charge it to the room. We end up leaving a $100 cash deposit, as requested by the manager.

The room itself was large but we looked onto a roof. I loved the huge bathroom and separate soaking tub. It was roomy enough for the four of us.

More complaints, however. My mom was upset that it didn’t have a coffee maker. My husband was upset that the “business center” consisted of 2 computers in the gift shop that charged $6 per 15 minutes. Even the Holiday Inn at the Cincinnati airport had free internet and computer access in their business center.

The pool was large and had a great view of downtown Boston, but it was awkward to get to. You had to walk all the way through the fitness center and go past a security desk to reach it. We didn’t use it.

The concierge, however, was wonderful. He was very informative and helpful and we utilized him a lot. One night a repair man came to our room to fix our tub and he even ended up fixing my son’s toy plane as well.

On our last night, around 10:00 pm, we remembered that we had left our $100 deposit at the desk. So we decided to order room service. It came to $75. After receiving our meal, we got a phone call from the front desk. Same woman. Said that we didn’t have enough on our account to cover it. My husband asked how much we had and she said $100. He asked her how much the meal was and she said $75. She then went on to say that we couldn’t use those services, however, without having all $600 on our account. My husband got angry and she said that she would talk to her manager. We never heard from her again. By then, our supper was ruined because we were stressed. So what were they doing, holding our money hostage?
    The location was pretty good and it had easy access to the T. I would probably not stay there again, but maybe I am expecting too much out of my hotel stays these days.

On another note, the manager told my mom that the reason we were in a poor room was because we had booked through Hotwire and that they have those rooms put aside. You know, the bad ones.

Directions: Located next to South Station, a coupe of blocks from Fanueil Hall

• morochaargentina's Profile Photo

Love at 1st sight

howa can you NOT love this place? I can not find ONE reason not to love it... New, modern, high, location, location, location, and it WOWs you at every single detail (the big rooms, with amasing views, esquisite decor, great service, great attention to detail, great gym, great pool, very clean) what else? it was love at first sight... and 2nd, and 3rd, and 4th and 5th... and we'll keep it coming!

Unique Quality: it's just perfect!

More about InterContinental Boston

Sophisticated City Oasis

by TripAdvisor Member tinagella

I stayed in the Boston Intercontinental while on business during the month of December 2006. I too was able to get a room at a significant discount through hotwire. The hotel was somewhat difficult to get to at night because of the construction in front of the hotel. Although I sadly didn't have the opportunity to enjoy Boston since I was working I did get to enjoy the room. The decor of the hotel is very sleek, elegant and urban feeling. The bathroom was large and well appointed. I ordered room service when I arrived late at night and I was very impressed with the selection on the menu and the set up in the room. Breakfast the next day was on time and delicious. I ordered their Boston Marathon and it was a ridiculous amount of food for the price. This was an excellent business traverler's hotel and I anticipate staying there again in the near future.

Lovely hotel, but some poorly trained staff

by TripAdvisor Member srca

The new Intercontinental is lovely, a few minutes by foot from South Station, right on the water at the south end of downtown. You can walk along the water, past many piers and ferry landings, all the way to the North End. The heart of downtown is 10 minutes away on foot. The room I was given (via Priceline) was outstanding -- huge, with a view of a small portion of the waterfront, a stall shower *and* a very deep tub.

The main downside for everyone who will stay there is, they have duvets (warm quilts covered by sheets) instead of blankets. This made it hard for me to sleep --- too hot.

The one bad thing that happened was, the maids made up the room the last day, before I checked out. My bags were right there, too! They took my newspapers, which I was not done with. I put this down to very poor training by the housekeeping manager -- and can only hope they redid the room after I checked out, or the next occupant would have been angry, too. Then the front desk made me argue with them for 10 minutes before paying me for the missing paper (a Sunday New York Times). What happened to "the customer is always right"? I can tell you, they would benefit from a "we'll fix it or the stay is free" policy.

Also, parking was very expensive. The parking service was excellent (as was room service and bell service) but you have to ask to find how to get to the parking garage -- not signed at all.

Great Birthday Weekend at Intercontinental!

by TripAdvisor Member Racetrackrockabettie

My fiance and I stayed at the Intercontinental for our (joint) birthday weekend April 6-8. The hotel itself was easy to locate if you have ever driven Boston before. The parking and doormen were great and always very prompt. We got a spectacular deal of $149/night through a Travelzoo promo- almost half of normal rates! The room was lovely, very Zen/modern, with a huge bathtub and fantastic shower. The bed was so comfortable that it was difficult for us to leave it in the mornings! We ate at the restaurant at 1:00am one night and the food was both reasonable and delicious. The outside area overlooking the harbor was a nice place for a smoker to retreat and watch the sunset. Room svc was prompt and yummy, but definitely not cheap.
The only thing that was less than ideal was that we had to call in the morning to see if late checkout was available. As a Priority member, late checkout is a benefit, and it seems as though you should be able to confirm availability the night before. After all, if I wanted to get up at 11am to call the front desk, I would just check out at that time! Also, I had to run water in the tub before drawing a bath, as there appeared to be a film of dust inside (from non-use?)
Overall, the hotel is truly the best thing Boston has going. I think the minor glitches with service are probably leftover from it being a fairly new property. It is nice to finally have a luxury hotel in the city that is not done up in some chintzy Victorian decor with musty floral draperies.

Beautiful Hotel, Poorly Trained Staff!

by TripAdvisor Member sunnyday12

We booked the Intercontinental with an incredible deal on Priceline. The hotel, located in the Financial District is a 5 minute walk from South Station, but essentially in a very "dead" part of town. When walking the streets on a weekend, you rarely see a lot of people and can't really feel the true pulse of Boston. I believe the city has big plans for this end of town in the future, especially with the birth of a new convention center that opened last summer and the Contemporary Art Museum on the waterfront, but in the mean time, not a whole lot is going on. Nevertheless, the T is in reach and Boston is a walking city so it all balances out.
The Intercontinental is magnificant property. The decor is wonderful and the rooms are very enjoyable. Everything hip, urban and comfortable. One downside for us was the beautiful view of a brick wall, but with the price we paid, it was only to be expected.
The Staff at the Intercontinental are poorly trained. Our room was not ready when we arrived 4:30pm; an hour and a half after the 3:00 pm check in time. We were in no rush, so we grabbed a drink at RumBa which was great. However, it took bell service 20 minutes to actually give us any attention in getting our bags checked. When our room was finally ready, our bags never showed up. I had to call an hour and a half later to check on them. We ordered room service and our food showed up promptly, but nothing was correct on the order. It took 3 times to get the order straightened out and it still wasn't completely correct. We called Concierge with simple questions and we were always put on hold with noonever getting back to us. On Sunday, I called to ask another simple question and was told I would receive a call back...and I never did. Also, our instant service button on our phone directed us right to condo sales which seemed odd.
The rooms are so great at this hotel that the poor service did not take away from our stay. We were dissapointed that no late check out was available. Also, there was no express check out so to actually leave the hotel we had to wait about 30 minutes in line while everyone went through their bills & charges. Definately not efficient.
Overall I would recommend this property because the rooms are excellent and the ambiance is wonderful as well....I believe that the staff needs to be trained better to accomodate travellers expectations that go along with staying at a 4 star luxury property.

Great time, bad weather

by TripAdvisor Member samadams01

My wife and I stayed the weekend of May 18th-20th and had a wonderful time at the hotel. We got a rate of $174 a night harbor view thru Travel Zoo so we were happy. The room was nice the bathroom amenities were great, the staff was very friendly and nice in every way, an overall great experience, except for the rain all weekend. The staff even provided us with umbrellas.

Excellent experience

by TripAdvisor Member pclcruiser

Stayed in Boston one night for our anniversary. The hotel upgraded us to a king harbor view room at no additional charge and even surprised us with a card and a gourmet dessert with "Happy Anniversary" written on the plate in chocolate drizzle! Let them know in advance if you are celebrating a special occasion.

Later, we ordered room service and they rolled in a large round table with white linens and china. First class all the way.

The bathroom was large, well laid out and upscale as well, with seperate soaking tub and glass shower, robes, a glass scale and quality hair products and lotions.

The room had soft lighting, recessed lighting, and hanging pendant lights in the bathroom. We enjoyed the sofa and the flat screen tv. The window between the bedroom and bathroom can be closed for privacy.

Although the location and views are not quite as ideal as the Marriott, It was still only a very short walk to Quincy Market, and we would highly recommend this hotel for its' guest rooms and level of service.

We bid $115 on priceline but it came to $140 with fees plus $39 to park for 24 hours.

relax and enjoy this gorgeous hotel

by TripAdvisor Member dmc101us

This hotel is gorgeous. The room is beautiful, and we loved the flat screen TV and the bathroom is great! We loved the chaise lounge chair at the end of the bed. It's beautiful and if you like to shop, real close to Macy's, etc. We walked to a bagel place both mornings for breakfast. The coffee is served complimetary SIX days a week, excluding Sundays. They told us they are in the process of getting coffee makers in the rooms, but until then, coffee is 5 - 7 a.m. except Sundays.
The gym is really, really nice -- bring headsets, if you don't want to use theirs, as every bike, treadmill has a TV built into it.
The spa experience was very nice.
DO NOT eat at the over-priced, expensive, Kingfish Hall. I repeat DO NOT! It was a major ripoff and the conceirge will tell you it's good -- well, it's not. If you tell them you want seafood, this is where they'll tell you to go. Conceirges are given free meals, free wine, etc. to send people to their restaurants. I know this to be true. I'm not saying it is at this hotel, but it is a practice done in the industry.
It was the WORST dining experience in our entire life! My husband, who is not a complainer, agrees with me on this one.
We ended up at the Barking Crab, a five-minute walk from the hotel and it was excellent. It's a no frills kind of place, but the food was excellent! Don't waste your time or money at another Todd English crappy restaurant. Enjoy the hotel!

Comments