InterContinental Boston

Business Travel Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
See Amenities

Concierge Level

by written on March 1, 2015

It is hard to recommend the concierge level option strongly enough The rooms are the same, but the concierge level lounge is large, quiet, comfortable, with large widely spaced tables and a view over Atlantic Avenue and the business district.

Breakfast featured a large buffet table, almost the equal of that in the finest European hotels, and two or three entrees. Unlike the European hotels, these changed on a daily basis. And were delicious, apparently made in a kitchen adjoining the room. Coffee, soft drinks, and cookies/pastries available all day long. At the dinner hour, free unlimited
drinks with a collection of better quality liquors, several wine selections, a great buffet table, and several small plate entrees which again were different from day to day. Yes, one night two drinks and the offerings became a very satisfactory free dinner.

Even more important, the staff functioned as concierge advisors as well, with an excellent restaurant recommendation, and good advice for daily activities including recommending strongly the hop on hop off bus which is something we normally avoid like the plague. And they were correct. Our first evening we spent over half an hour with one staff member discussing everything from Boston to European travel ( she was a native eastern european ). As we left, she asked our room number and promised to send us a little gift ( image 2).

One can only wonder what what one might pay for these services on the ground floor a la carte restaurants. Take a few yogurts or cookies for midday snacks or the drive home - not a problem. The concierge level option on reservation should be a no-brainer.

Rooms at The Intercontinental

by written on March 1, 2015

The large standard size rooms are, like the entire rest of the hotel, totally generic - could be in Bucharest or Boston. But the modern rooms are comfortable and well equipped, with a 55" wall mounted television on a swivel to face toward the bed, lots of closets, and a king size bed with large firm mattress.
Seemingly a feature of all modern hotels, the large well laid-out bathroom is partially open to the room with a wide window (image 1). Clear shower doors too. Decent amenities, on a rack over the bathtub. Housekeeping here was excellent, room was immaculate every day.

We were promised a water view on reservation, and as seen on image 5 if one looks very carefully, yes ---- there is some water out there in the far distance.

Modern 5Star Hotel

by written on March 1, 2015

The large modern style Intercontinental Hotel fits well into the renovated Boston Harbor skyline, a 21 story monothilic reflecting surface venue opened in 2006. There are 424 rooms, over 100 private residences accessed through a separate entrance, three restaurant/bars, an outdoor terrace overlooking the harbor, and all the amenities one might anticipate spap, business center, etc.

The narrow driveway on Atlantic Avenue is hectic and crowded but the staff did a fine job of moving cars in, loading and unloading, and getting cars out. One would anticipate a chaotic lobby, but this room runs the full length of the building and offers several seating areas in quiet nooks. The desk and concierge staff is efficient and friendly enough and the concierge will spend as much time as needed ( once pausing to deal with a simple issue and returning promptly ). No problems here.

Some rooms are a long way from the central elevators as there are actually three separate conjoined towers. The upper floors are the concierge level, well worthy the extra money ( more on this later ).

Best Hotel EVER

by written on March 23, 2010

The hotel is beautiful. It's on the waterfront. And the people were wonderful. We did the priceline thing since we'd never been to Boston and hit the jackpot. The rooms have great views, it's close to a transit station, has parking (for a reasonable price), They also let us check in at 9 a.m.

Krumlovgirl's Profile Photo

Well, we DID get a good price...

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 22, 2009

So we were pretty excited about staying at the Boston Intercontinental Hotel over the week of July 4th. Most hotels were outrageous that time of the year and by using Hotwire I got us a rate of $125 a night. I did some extensive research on the place and while I wasn’t completely happy with its location in the Financial District, I did like the fact that it was on the water and within walking distance to Faneuil Hall.

I should add, at this point, that I have a 2 year old and was traveling with my mother and my husband, as well as my child.

Upon checking in at the hotel, we were greeted cheerfully by the doorman and later by the bellman. No problems there. At the front desk, however, it was a different story.
First, there was the problem of the deposit. The hotel wanted to secure $100 per night as a deposit. Since we were staying 6 nights, that was $600. Now, most hotels want to do this. They also tell you that it’s for “incidentals” like using the mini-bar, ordering room service, and buying movies off of the television. I usually decline it. I stay in 4 and 5 star hotels all the time and as long as they turn off the pay per view movies and disconnect the phone so that you can’t call out there is generally not a problem.

The hotel also tells you that they are not really “holding” the money, just “securing” it. Well, my bank doesn’t know the difference. The minute the hotel runs it through, my bank thinks I made a purchase and that money is as good as gone until the hotel releases it upon checkout. (It should be noted here that I have banked at several different banks and almost everyone I have banked at has done this.)

So the woman here refuses to work with us. She tells us that it is “only” $100 per night and manages to embarrass us in front of everyone in line. Well, to me, $600 is a lot of money. That was my shopping money for the trip!

After several minutes of continuous embarrassment, she finally says that she can do the things that we requested but that we won’t be allowed to eat in any of the restaurants. I retort that yes we can, we’ll just pay cash like normal people and not charge it to the room. We end up leaving a $100 cash deposit, as requested by the manager.

The room itself was large but we looked onto a roof. I loved the huge bathroom and separate soaking tub. It was roomy enough for the four of us.

More complaints, however. My mom was upset that it didn’t have a coffee maker. My husband was upset that the “business center” consisted of 2 computers in the gift shop that charged $6 per 15 minutes. Even the Holiday Inn at the Cincinnati airport had free internet and computer access in their business center.

The pool was large and had a great view of downtown Boston, but it was awkward to get to. You had to walk all the way through the fitness center and go past a security desk to reach it. We didn’t use it.

The concierge, however, was wonderful. He was very informative and helpful and we utilized him a lot. One night a repair man came to our room to fix our tub and he even ended up fixing my son’s toy plane as well.

On our last night, around 10:00 pm, we remembered that we had left our $100 deposit at the desk. So we decided to order room service. It came to $75. After receiving our meal, we got a phone call from the front desk. Same woman. Said that we didn’t have enough on our account to cover it. My husband asked how much we had and she said $100. He asked her how much the meal was and she said $75. She then went on to say that we couldn’t use those services, however, without having all $600 on our account. My husband got angry and she said that she would talk to her manager. We never heard from her again. By then, our supper was ruined because we were stressed. So what were they doing, holding our money hostage?
The location was pretty good and it had easy access to the T. I would probably not stay there again, but maybe I am expecting too much out of my hotel stays these days.

On another note, the manager told my mom that the reason we were in a poor room was because we had booked through Hotwire and that they have those rooms put aside. You know, the bad ones.

Directions: Located next to South Station, a coupe of blocks from Fanueil Hall

morochaargentina's Profile Photo

Love at 1st sight

by written on July 23, 2008

howa can you NOT love this place? I can not find ONE reason not to love it... New, modern, high, location, location, location, and it WOWs you at every single detail (the big rooms, with amasing views, esquisite decor, great service, great attention to detail, great gym, great pool, very clean) what else? it was love at first sight... and 2nd, and 3rd, and 4th and 5th... and we'll keep it coming!

Unique Quality: it's just perfect!

Nearby InterContinental Boston

• Spa
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

Boston Travel Forum

Need advice about Boston, Massachusetts? Visit the Travel Forum for Boston and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Boston hotel reviews

Filene's Basement - CLOSED
Commuter Rail
Downtown Crossing
Shopping
Bull & Finch Pub (Cheers)
Boylston Street