John Jeffries House

14 David G. Mugar Way, Boston, Massachusetts, 02114, United States

• Terrible, Hastle, Stay Away.

My family and I spent nearly an hour trying to figure out a reservation mess. I've learned that the staff is incompetent and always make mistakes. They only have around 40 rooms and if they make a mistake, which they seem to always do, you're left out in the cold. The shower from a room above us leaked in our room and the room smelled like moth balls. Its cheap for a reason, stay away from this place.

Also, its right by a fire department and 2 hospitals, try getting some sleep.

Unique Quality: It's old and creaky.

• Great little hotel

The John Jeffries is at the north end of Beacon Hill, and is walking distance to Faneuil Hall, the Boston Commons, Back Bay, and the Fleet Center. The rates are reasonable for Boston, and the accommodations are spacious. Most of the suites used to be two rooms and were converted into one large room (but they're still called suites). Most rooms have kitchenettes, and there are two markets a stones throw from the hotel.

My husband I have stayed here three times and been pleased each time.

There is no parking on site, and the garage down the street charges an arm and a leg, so be forewarned. There is no room service, but a continental breakfast is served and there is always coffee and tea in the lounge available for guests.

Unique Quality: This is a nice, quiet place with great views of the Charles from the rooms on the west side of the building. Rates range from $95 - $175, depending on the room and the season. I would recommend a Junior Suite.

Directions: Northern end of Charles Street off the circle. At the Charles/MGH "T" station.

• jbel2879's Profile Photo

Perfectly priced and located

My divorced parents agree about few things, and they both insist that this Inn is one of Boston's best kept secrets. If you want to do downtown Boston, this is the place to stay. The rooms are simple and a good size, the price is literally unbeatable, and it's right on the edge of Beacon Hill and Faneuil Hall. The Red Line runs right outside but amazingly you can't hear it from any of the rooms I've stayed in. If you like cheap beer, then a) you're cool, and b) check out the Beacon Hill Pub a few blocks away.

Unique Quality: What's unique is that it's dirt cheap in a city of overpriced hotels. Oh, and it also used to be an eye and ear infirmary, so the building has major history.

Directions: Right off the red line - Charles St. I think

More about John Jeffries House

Location, Location, Location!!

Thanks to reviews I had read here, My best friend and I chose The John Jeffries House on our week long trip to Boston in Sept. We could not have asked for a better location, Right across the street from the Charles St. T station, in the heart of Beacon Hill. We could walk to most historic sites, including most of the Freedom Trail! With the short walks and the T station, we never needed a car. We stayed in the deluxe room, with 2 twin beds, a sitting room and mini kitchen, which was great to have. Just 3 doors down the street was a gourmet grocery, which was very convenient. The staff were polite and helpful, and willing to answer all our questions. Our only disappointment was the brekfast, which was mostly just pastries, but luckily just down the street was Panificos, a great little eatery with huge, wonderful cinnamon buns. There was also a Starbucks a block or so away for those who must have their bagels each morning! We really enjoyed eating at many of the small restaurants on Charles St. such as Paramont, Panificos, and Artu, a tiny italian place, food was great! I would reccommend the JJ house to anyone on a budget, we paid $179 a night, but with a kitchenette, we saved money on eating out. And it was really nice to stay in Beacon Hill. We truly loved the neighborhood.

Great Location

by TripAdvisor Member projectbil

Beacon Hill is a superb area to stay. Lots of character and quaint things to do
The location of John Jeffries is spot on adjacent to the Subway
Everything about the hotel is ideal.
Lovely large rooms with small kitchen and a continental breakfast
Cannot recommend this gem highly enough and great value for money

John Jeffries was excellent for us

Stayed at the John Jeffries in late July '05.
Location is excellent at the top of Charles Street in Beacon Hill. I have never felt as safe in any city in the US. Used it as a base to walk and see the city and the surrounds of Cambridge, Fenway, etc.
Parking wasn't easy, but you don't need a car in Boston -it's small and fairly safe. Anyway, there's a couple of Zip Carsparked just around the corner.
The staff were OK, nothing great, as was the breakfast of pastry, juice and some fruit. But the rooms, for the price, are exceptional for Boston.
You could do a lot worse than staying at the John Jeffries on your next trip.
We would definitely stay again.

Good Value and Location

Good value for money hotel. The breakfast arrangement was slightly strange, essentially muffins, pastries and help yourself coffee, served in the lounge area but ok. The kitchen facilities which we had meant that we could have made our own if we really wanted something different. The rooms were all clean and nicely kept.

Good location, directly opposite the T - word of warning however if do take the T from the airport to the hotel two changes are required. Lugging the baggage up several flights of stairs can be tiring after a long flight (a lift/escalator was not available for all stations).

Overall recommended

Excellent choice

by TripAdvisor Member Neil1305

We stayed here last month on vacation from the UK. Although it was favourably mentioned in a local guide book our main reason for choosing it was reading the reviews on this forum.

I can only confirm what has already been said. We got a de luxe suite which was well worth the extra outlay. As has been previously mentioned there was a great deal of work going on outside. However,we didn't find this much of a problem,being used to city life.

It was in a great location with the Common,Charles Street etc in easy walking distance and for anything further afield the T was right across the road. We didn't have a car and found that no problem at all. All sights are walkable or easily accessible on public transport. We got from the airport via the bus and T for the total sum of five dollars each!

There was also coffee and drinks constantly available in a nice sitting room. We would definitely recommend a stay here rather than the chain hotels,which are often more expensive anyway.

Great location, good value for money

by TripAdvisor Member Tomskoi

We were there over Thanksgiving, staying five nights in a suite, room 310(nice sized bedroom,living room,small kitchen with 30" range, microwave,small refrigerator,sufficient pans/utinsils) and found it quite adequate and good ralative value. The location is excellent being at the end of Charles Street in historic and picturesque Beacon Hill where the walk along this famous street is worth doing anytime of the day or night. There are good restaurants nearby and the subway Red Line directly across the street (you can faintly hear that it exists because it crosses a steel bridge across an intersection nearby). However, with new thermopane double glazed windows iniside and the decorative exterior double hung original windows outside, it's very quiet. The redecoration is relatively new so the place looks good and the housekeepers are doing a really good job of keeping the place tidy. Front desk staff are pleasant. The breakfast is pastries, juice and coffee with apples and coffee available all the time. Worthy of a second stay.

Downtown Hotel stay

by meteora

My buddies and I are going to be in Boston at the end of June. We want to stay at a hotel thats located in heart of Boston. What hotel is the best and has the best price? I know it's not going be cheap but hey you only live once.

by kentishgirl

The first time I went to Boston I stayed in the Copley Square Hotel, which was a small, quaint little hotel, in a big Victorian style building in Back Bay, staff were friendly and the rooms were really cosy.

When I went back this year, I stayed in a more budget orientated place, a stunning little guesthouse called 463 Beacon street, which is the address and name of the place - again in Back Bay.

Back Bay in my opinion is the best area to stay in, Boston is quite small and its easy to get around on both foot and by the subway.

Hope this helps

ALi
x

by johnnytech

I recommend staying at the Newbury Street Guest House located on bustling Newbury Street in the heart of the Back Bay or John Jeffries house which is also located nearby. :D

by gespaper

IF you aren't too worried about $, Stay at the Fairmont Copley Square. It is the best

Comments