Langham Boston

250 Franklin Street

The Langham, Boston
Booking.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Costs 39% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

• Langham is a sweet escape!

I was hesitant to stay at this hotel because I read that it was in the Financial District, but I am so glad I stayed at the Langham.

To begin with, the location is wonderful. It's only a few blocks from Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market, the waterfront, downtown crossing, the North End, and the Freedom Trail! We were close enough to everything but far enough off the beaten path that there wasn't any city noise when I was trying to go to sleep. Oh, and the sleep was incredible. Their beds are so comfortable and the rooms are just lovely! In fact, the whole hotel has a very historical feel to it but is kept up very well. The Concierge were extremely friendly and helpful in deciding what to see in our short trip to Boston.

Definitely stay here if you get the chance!

Unique Quality: One thing you absolutely have to try is their buffet chocolate bar. There is nothing as beautiful as seeing an entire room full of chocolate desserts, pastries, cookies, ice cream, cotton candy, donuts, and more! I will be dreaming about that day until forever. I think I can speak for all females when i say it is a dream come true.

Of course after we went to the chocolate bar, the first thing we wanted to do was hit the gym... which they have. And it's not like a regular hotel gym either, it's much larger with a pool and hot tub and saunas. The gym staff was also very friendly and helpful... in fact, i don't think we encountered one employee our entire stay that didn't have a smile on their face.

Directions: Downtown Boston, Waterfront, Financial District

• Le Meridian.

if you go to their webpage, they have weekend specials for about $100 a night (which is about 1/4 the normal rack rate). er, ah, this hotel is wicked expensive.

Unique Quality: Facilities. The service was top-notch, the accomodations were outstanding. The robe and towels were very comfy.

More about Langham Boston

Lacking in atmosphere

by TripAdvisor Member KF_Kent

You can't really fault the Langham for facilities - impressive lobby/ large comfortable beds/ a reasonable, if small, health centre/ decent bathrooms(i.e. it ticks all the right boxes to get a 5* rating), but otherwise it is a very typical large US hotel that feels fairly clinical and lacks any sort of charm.

If you are travelling on business, it is a safe bet - you know what you are going to get - but I wouldn't recommend it for those on holiday, particularly for the price as it isn't cheap and is easily forgettable.

The reception staff were fairly unenthusiastic on arrival (giving the impression that they just process the hundreds of business people that pass through their doors every week), and didn't make any attempt to make us feel welcome. They gave us no indication of where any of the facilities were located within the hotel and when we asked for directions to the bar were told that it was closed due to a wedding.

I have stayed at a few of the "Luxury Hotels of the World" and was surprised to see that this hotel was a member as it lacks the atmosphere and any of the extra touches that you expect of a hotel of that class.

All in all - a "solid" hotel but just not for someone looking for genuinely 5* experience!

A Great $160 Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member symantix

We stayed @ the Langham this weekend, and we were able to secure a promotional rate of $160 per night for a deluxe room. Since this is an LHW property, we were very excited and looked forward to a very memorable stay.

Unfortunately, I agree very much with the last reviewer from England. While the hotel meets all of the objective criteria of a 5 star property, it lacks the subjective "feel" or "charm" that a true 5 star property would have.

The doorman and reception staff were cold and treated us with a stuffy sort of propriety that seemed forced. The hotel was only running @ 80% occupancy, with most of the 12 suites empty (per the telephone reservations agent). I requested an upgrade in writing the week before, and requested one again in person upon arrival. We were flat out denied any sort of upgrade unless we got out of the promotional price bracket and into the standard price bracket. It would have been DOUBLE the price just to get a "suite" that was 100 sq. feet larger. If we wanted a bigger suite, it would have been much more.

On the other hand, the concierge, restaurant staff, and barkeep were very accommodating, and they made us feel like we were in a 5 star property. The Julien Bar was stunning and had live piano in the background.

Our deluxe room was actually quite large and comfortable, with a walk in closet, ample dressing room, and all of the standard amenities that one would find in a Holiday Inn. The problem was that this is not a Holiday Inn; it is a member of the famed Leading Hotels of the World.

The bathroom was average size, but nothing extraordinary. The toiletries were utter junk. Internet access was $15 extra per day, which is strange considering that many hotels that cost less offer high speed internet for free. There was no fax in the room, although the hotel considerately placed a 6-jack power strip at the desk. This was very convenient for phone and computer chargers.

One odd thing is that we received a fax during our stay, but it was not delivered to our room. The business office called up and told us that we could pick it up from the front desk. THAT was NOT 5 star service.

The bottom line: Stay @ The Langham if you get a promotional rate for less than $200 per night. I would never pay full price to stay here, as it is NOT a true 5 star hotel.

Chocolate Dreams

I travel often to Boston for work and to visit friends, but I’ve not been able to find a “regular” hotel to stay during my trips. Based on reviews, my itinerary for the weekend, and the fact it has a Chocolate Bar on Saturdays – I decided to stay at the Langham. The hotel was beautiful, staff (and guests) was very nice, and the room was perfect. Everything in the room worked correctly and was sparkling clean; the view was lovely overlooking the park, and the work space was just right for my laptop, papers, etc. Shops, restaurants, subway and my friends were only a short walk away.

Now to the best part, the Chocolate Bar. I noticed on the Langham website there is a Chocolate Bar every Saturday (not sure if it’s seasonal), so my friends and I made plans to go. It was a Chocolate Dream, very good and fresh. All different types, not just the normal milk chocolate.

The Chocolate Bar was a nice treat to lovely visit at the Langham and Beantown. I can honestly say I have a regular hotel in Boston now (even if the Chocolate is seasonal). :o)

One of the better hotels I have stayed in.

by TripAdvisor Member JaneMFraser

I stayed in the hotel for 3 days and unfortunately landed there on the weekend of the "Memorial Holiday" which meant that we were unable to sample the restuarant as it was closed.

We had no problems with the staff.

Our room was lovely, but our bathroom was very much on the small size. There was no way you were getting two people in there at the same time and we are not big people.

Apart from that I would recommend this hotel in the future.

A good business hotel that's it !

by TripAdvisor Member MicheleParis

I definitely agree with this previous review saying that it is a very typical large US hotel that feels fairly clinical and lacks any sort of charm.

The reception staff didn't make any attempt to make me feel welcome.

I have stayed at a few of the "Luxury Hotels of the World" and was surprised to see that this hotel was a member. The roof of the swimming pool is terrible and need to be fixed. The ladder of the swimming pool is rusty.

I have to ask 3 times to get a bathrobe (which was supposed to be in the bathroom !).

All in all - a "solid" hotel but not an outstanding Deluxe 5* one!

Good for business man but not for someone looking for a wonderful deluxe refined experience.

However, the bar is a really nice place. It's just a lack of atmosphere.

A few things lacking

by TripAdvisor Member Daoda

Five star prices but not quite five star quality or service. Front desk and concierge were not as solicitous as I would expect and they seemed understaffed. Beds were too firm. Rooms are nice, but then there would be aspects that were cheap, like the light switches which were old and yellowed. Blinds didn't adequately cover the windows. If you get a good weekend rate, then it's fine, but otherwise it's not worth the prices they charge.

Great Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member YorkyLassFlorida

We stayed at this hotel over Fourth of July Weekend. The rooms are beautiful with robes and slippers complimentary. The hotel is located in the financial district which is only a short walk to Boston Common and Newbury St for shopping. Food is expensive as you would expect in a hotel of this standard but if you are on a budget a au bon pain is a short walk away.
We will definetly stay again when next in Boston.

Wonderful Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member maryanne62

Just spent 4 days at the Langham, and it was lovely. The prior comments on unfriendly staff had me concerned, but the staff could not have been nicer or quicker to provide advice and maps. We were upgraded to a deluxe room, as was my mother, and the location just across from the health club was great for children.
Overall I would highly recommend this hotel, the location, people and facilities were wonderful.

Comments