Boston Hotels

Our Members Say

• Gypsystravels profile photo Gypsystravels
  • Reviews: 3266

Doubletree Guest Suites' Boston: Doubletree Guest Suites, Boston - Waltham

This is a fantastic hotel, just miles from downtown Boston. It is an inexpensive hotel for those looking for more in a hotel at the least possible rate. The room is a suite and as a Hilton Honors member we usually get the upgrade to an 8th floor corner room. The hotel itself is quite nice with a large lobby and reception area. On my last visit here the lobby was packed with people for some sort of celebration taking place here at the hotel.

The beds are quite nice and comfy with a basic decor. One of the best things about the hotel is that it is quite inexpensive compared to some of the other area hotels. We usually pay around $99+ tax, parking is included which is an added benefit.

As a Hiton Honers Gold or Diamond member there is a complimentary Sunday breakfast buffet which you must remind them at check-in so they can give you the vouchers. With a huge selection of breakfast items you really can't go wrong.

I usually order an egg white omelet with plenty of coffee, juice and fruit.

It really is a great bargain in the Boston area and only about 2 miles from the city center.

• Related to: Museum Visits, Arts and Culture, Historical Travel
  • Written August 15, 2006

Our bed

• Krumlovgirl profile photo Krumlovgirl
  • Reviews: 623

Boston HI Hostel

I spent the night here (or rather stored my luggage here) during a very long layover on my way to ireland in 2003. I got a dorm room with 6 beds and although small, it was clean and well maintained. It's a nice hostel, very clean, with an internet cafe and hairdryers in the bathroom. It's very easy to locate and close to the mass transport, although the neighborhood can be a little iffy at night. The hostel tries to encourage its guests to go out and see the city so there are little tours available to take as well as group events that the hostel puts together. This is definitely your best priced option if you are on a tight budget.

• Written June 1, 2005

• Krumlovgirl profile photo Krumlovgirl
  • Reviews: 623

Prescott Hostel

I stayed at this hostel on Memorial Day weekend and had a blast. Although it isn’t close to the center like most hostels that I have stayed at in Boston, the ambiance of it far surpassed any of the HI affiliated. The owner, Wayne, is a city councilman and is a trip. He was extremely helpful giving me directions when I ended up lost in Chinatown (don’t really know how I ended up there-too many one way streets I think) and when we walked in the hostel we felt like we had been staying there for years. The rooms were small, but the private baths were nice and clean and the water pressure good. There was a a large kitchen/bar area and common room with a big screen TV. On Saturday night Wayne had a birthday party and half the town showed up. Instead of driving into the city center everyday the hostel runs a shuttle that will take you to Wellington T stop. From there it is only three stops until Fanueil Hall.

The amenities were nice: large common room, big TV, travel brochures, and private baths. The only real drawback was the location, but the friendliness of the staff made up for that. I would definitely stay there again. Oh, and the next morning they gave me great directions to Newport Rhode Island for a daytrip. And told me that if I got lost to call and they would talk me through it.

• Written June 1, 2005

• Bunsch profile photo Bunsch
  • Reviews: 544

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Convent of the Sisters of St. Margaret: Need spiritual refreshment?

Like many people, I lead a frenetic life. To maintain some balance and to make space for God, I try to make semi-regular retreats at the Society of St. Margaret, whose mother-house is located in Boston. A portion of the convent was actually the home of William Lloyd Garrison, an active abolitionist. There is also a wonderful retreat center in Duxbury, Massachusetts, which is open during the summer months. An overnight stay in Boston, including all meals, is $50.00. Guests are welcome to worship with the Sisters -- who are in chapel for Morning Prayer, the Eucharist, Noonday Prayers, Evening Prayer, and Compline -- or not, as they choose. Most meals are taken in silence. Guests are free to pray in the chapel, oratory, or in the icon room; there is also a spacious deck which overlooks the City of Boston, and grounds where one can walk contemplatively, as well as a full library. (In Duxbury, the convent property is right on Duxbury Bay.) Directed retreats are sometimes available.

Updated April 2011: the Roxbury convent is no longer accepting guests. In 2012, the Sisters expect to have a more spacious, year-round facility available in Duxbury.

This is holy ground. It's obviously possible to encounter God anywhere, but some places seem to be steeped in prayer. When I come, it is as though I lay all my burdens down at the front door -- and often, as I depart, I neglect to pick them back up! The Sisters are so hospitable and so grace-filled that I always rediscover that I am beloved.

• Related to: Religious Travel
  • Written February 13, 2007

The back of Garrison House on convent grounds

• Donnylass profile photo Donnylass
  • Reviews: 23

Tage Inn Boston Somerville: Friendly good value hotel

The hotel is couple of miles from the city centre but that doesnt matter. The staff are happy to give you a lift to the metro and to pick you up when you ring them to say you're ready for home. There's also a trolley tour that picks up at the hotel.

The hotel has all the things you'd expect from a hotel charging twice the price.

It's quite big but friendly and individual

It had all we wanted - laundry, pool, coffee maker in the room, hairdryer, iron and ironing board, nice decor and complimentary breakfast. as well as the great pick up and shuttle service mentioned earlier.

• Written September 2, 2003

Tage Inn

• moiraistyx profile photo moiraistyx
  • Reviews: 664

DOUBLETREE SUITES WALTHAM: THE BREAKFAST BUFFET MAKES IT WORTH IT

Because SES is a Hilton rewards member, we always stay in Hilton properties. This is his favorite hotel in the Boston area so of course when we went to Boston this is where we stayed. I really liked the hotel because there were separate sleeping areas for us and Patrick. Patrick liked it because we were on the eight floor and it had glass elevators. This hotel has a terrific buffet style breakfast. It includes fruits, pastries, breakfast meats and eggs cooked to order.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Family Travel
  • Written August 20, 2006

• Helga67 profile photo Helga67
  • Reviews: 2612

Hampton Inn Boston Logan Airport

Hampton Inn Boston Logan Airport is actually located in Revere, a suburb north of Boston. It's about 10 minutes from Logan International Airport and is very convenient for a short stopover. I choose this hotel over one in downtown Boston because the prices are about half the price of what you'd have to pay for a downtown hotel.

It is no problem to get to Boston. The hotel offers free shuttles to the metro (T-station: Wood Island - blue line) from where it takes another 10 minutes to downtown Boston.

All rooms have data ports for internet access. We had a king studio. It was very spacious with 2 rooms: a kitchenette with eating/sitting room and a spacious bedroom with bathroom. Every room had TV with internet access and movie channel. We also had a gorgeous view over Boston.

The hotel has free parking space, a fitness room, indoor heated swimming pool, an ATM machine, free local calls, hot breakfast and 24-hours airport shuttle.

• Written October 20, 2006

Hampton Inn

• Karnubawax profile photo Karnubawax
  • Reviews: 280

"The Brownstone" B&B - thru bnbboston.com: bnbboston.com - a 'fair' deal

On my first stay in Boston, I decided to forgo hotels and try to find a B&B - not easy for a single traveller. I had gone onto bnbboston.com to check stuff out, and ultimately booked it over the phone. I was actually surprised to find a single room for $100/night. It had a private bath (down the hall), and included breakfast.

The Brownstone is located in Back Bay (72 Bay State Road to be exact). The building itself is quite nice, and the rooms were very pretty - at least, the ones I peeked into were. MY room was not so great... it was very small and cramped, even for a single (it was essentially a converted closet). The walls were bare white with one or two small pictures on them. Most bothersome was that the bed was only 5'8" - not cool for a 6' guy like me. On the plus side, it had DirectTV with a gajillion channels and good air conditioning. The breakfast was very good, and the bathroom was quite acceptable.

On a follow-up questionaire, I expressed my dissatisfaction with the room to bnbboston.com. Bnbboston's reply was (essentially) that I should stop whining - and that I was lucky to find anything in a single in Boston with a private (if detatched) bath and breakfast for $100/night. Maybe they're right. If I were to use this service again, I would only book a room that had a picture of it on the website.

Although, knowing what I know now about Boston, I would make a few other suggestions. First is check out hostels and YMCA's and such - many of them, in addition to cheap dorms, have private rooms for under $100/night and some quite a bit less. Also, consider staying on the outskirts of town - the T is fast and efficient, and you can stay in a place for 3 or even 4 nights for the cost of 1 night in a downtown hotel! Finally, you may want to try PriceLine - it is good for finding reasonable accomodations in expensive cities (from what I hear).

This particular place is all about the location. Only half a block from the Kenmore T station and crawling distance from Fenway Park! Bay State Drive is mostly Boston University housing and institutional buildings.

The hosts were very nice and knowlegable and always had great recommendations on restaurants and tips on how to get around. I would definitely stay here again - just not in that room!

• Written October 27, 2004
Tip Photo

Worth $100/night? You decide.

• Barbie2138 profile photo Barbie2138
  • Reviews: 38

Morrison House: An Unexpected Treasure

On my latest trip to Boston, I decided to be a little "adventurous" in an attempt to save $$ on lodging. After reading one of the message boards online which suggested Morrison House, I gave them a call. I'm glad I did. I made my reservation online with Ron one of the hosts. It was simple and quick. Everything about this place is great. I had the small room which was $75 per night, great view and included phone, clock/alarm, cd player, tv, dvd player and adequate closet space. I had access to computer and laundry facilities as well. Thanks Ron for showing me how to use that awesome washer! I shared a bathroom and it was no problem. I also had a great view of the street and neighborhood. The bed was oh so comfy as well. Every morning Ron or his wife Linda sets a great breakfast table which includes Linda's freshly baked goodies and the sweetest, freshest fruit and delicious bread. Breakfast also includes creal (five choices) coffee, juice and tea. Staying here is like being at home only better. If you book 7 nights you only pay for 6! A 15 day stay cost me $975 (including tax). In Boston, that's unheard of.

Location, attention to detail, the great neighborhood (check out JP Licks in Davis for outta site ice-cream while listening to street musicians in the evening or catch a movie ($4 matinee) at the Somerville Theater also in Davis Square, convenient location, clean, wonderful hosts (Ron practicing piano during the day), great breakfast!!!!!!

• Related to: Family Travel, Budget Travel
  • Written August 5, 2006

Breakfast at Morrison House...Off to a Great Start

• EdinburghRoc profile photo EdinburghRoc
  • Reviews: 539

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

332 Shawmut Guest House: Better than the Hawthorn in Salem YES REALLY!

On first arriving it does not look good.
But its better than the Hawthorn in Salem.
More room with kitchen, coffee + fridge.
Cleaned everyday with continental breakfast included and at a much lower price.

YES I RECOMMED THIS HOTEL.

Close to North Station not far to walk to Chinatown or the Constitution.

Easy to reach the airport for $1.25c

You have plenty of room + a microwave if needed.
Internet access in the hotel lobby. On the second floor. + Small Breakfast room.

• Related to: Seniors, Singles, Budget Travel
  • Written October 11, 2005

Shawmut

• johngayton profile photo johngayton
  • Reviews: 3146

Super8 Motel, Watertown: A Bit Out of Town

A variation of this tip appears on my Watertown page but given that the hotel is just off the freeway, about 15 mins out of Logan Airport and is relatively accessible by public transport via Cambridge Central T station and either a bus or taxi from there, then I have included it here in Boston as well.

The Super 8 here at Watertown is pretty much a typical super 8 - everything exactly as it should be. Decent sized room, everything spotless and working. When I booked the hotel it wasn’t selling itself as having in-room WiFi though a notice in reception does - but it didn’t happen in my room unfortunately. However my dial-up worked fine with a local call toll free number.

Reception was particularly helpful with bus timetables and local info and had I had the time I might have stopped off here for a couple of days. Hotel was a little pricey for a Super8 at about $100 per night, but then it was Easter weekend and the Boston Marathon at the time, such is life.

No complaints at all about this hotel.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Beer Tasting, Trains, Road Trip
  • Written June 19, 2006

• BruceDunning profile photo BruceDunning
  • Reviews: 3571

Motel 6: Stay in the Suburbs

The motel was rather nice for the pride, and that is the point. I was going on the cheap, but with quality. Truckers do stay there, but I did not see a lot of long term stays, other than some construction workers.

Right intersection of Hwy 114 and Hwy 1. It is fairly easy to get back to it. Finding the motel is another story because from the airport you wind from Hwy 1 to 1A to 60 Easy, to 114, etc.

• Related to: Arts and Culture
  • Written October 17, 2008

Front of motel

• songlines profile photo songlines
  • Reviews: 66

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Rodeway Logan Inn: A fine place to stay!

Before I left for Boston, I checked out this place via Trip Adviser, the general idea was that it was not fantastic. Well, I would like to disagree because in my experience this place was clean, friendly and with a very efficient shuttle serice to the T-line stations, the Airport or anything inbetween. There was free coffee or tea to be got at reception. The room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. Because the room was at the back of the Inn, there was no noise from the road. The service was very friendly too.
I would recommend this place to people who want to get on with their business of visiting Boston and surrounding area, though it is a little while from the city centre, which was a drawback, but I think if you have your own transport, then it is absolutely perfect.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Road Trip
  • Written July 15, 2008

Rodeway Inn Logan

• diver-x profile photo diver-x
  • Reviews: 483

Morrison House Bed & Breakfast: B&B in Davis Square

Morrison House is in Davis Square, which is in Somerville, a suburb of Boston. The B&B has two rooms available: one single and one double. I used to live just down the street. Davis Square is a great place! Lots of great restaurants & pubs, live music and a cinema. And the subway is right there to take you to Boston or Cambridge.

Low Season--Single: $60-$80, Double: $80-$95
High Season--Single: $75-$105, Double: $95-$120

• Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written May 6, 2003

• Donna_in_India profile photo Donna_in_India
  • Reviews: 895

Comfort Inn - Woburn: Too far out in traffic

I'm putting this on the Boston pages because it's close enough for the shortish commute and prices are much less than in Boston. However, if you have to travel during rush hours, I'd stay closer to/in the city. It took us almost an hour to get to Longwood Medical area in the morning.

The hotel was nice enough. Actually had a fabulously comfortable bed with lots of pillows. Free wireless internet in the room and also a computer in the lobby. Room was clean and had refrigerator, microwave, and coffee maker. The breakfast was really basic so we skipped it and went to McDonald's (a minute's walk). There are several restaurants in the area and even some that deliver to the hotel. Front desk has menus.

Overall hotel was nice and clean but because of the traffic, not sure that I'd recommend it.

• Written September 20, 2008