800 Boylston St, Boston, Massachusetts, 02199, United States
Travelocity Mandarin Oriental Expedia.com

Costs 75% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about Boston

Who is that guy?Who is that guy?

Walking Around the Public Gardens (Nov. 2010)Walking Around the Public Gardens (Nov. 2010)

the barthe bar

insideinside

Any nice spa outside of city?

by waterbabe

Hi,
There are 3 of us travelling to Boston from Ireland, next Oct/ Nov, for 5 nights. We are meeting up with a friend from L.A. and none of us have been there before. We were thinking of spending 3 nights in the city, seeing the sights and doing some shopping, maybe having a few nice meals and seeing a show. Any recommendations for an apartment in the city centre area, rather than a hotel? Will it be really cold that time of year?Also we were thinking of traveling outside the city to the cape or Martha's Vineyard for 2 nights. Are there any spas around there? If not even a nice hotel where we could just chill out. We were hoping to relax after the busy few days before we head home to our families again. How would we get there- is it far? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks.

Re: Any nice spa outside of city?

by clunker

Not sure about the spas, but as far as the weather, it shouldn't be too bad. You would probably not need much more than a light jacket or sweater as long as it's not too late in November. In October, the colorful leafs on the trees draw visitors from all over, and you don't have to venture too far outside of the city to enjoy the views.

Re: Any nice spa outside of city?

by MikeySoft

It should not be extremely cold at that time but could be cool. You may luck out and have a warm spell while you are there. It usually doesn't snow until Dec.

Martha's Vineyard is disappointing IMO, mostly because of all the hype so expectations are usually high. Others may disagree.

I think the whale watching will still be running in Oct and recommend it for a 1/2 day trip. You can get a whale watching boat in Boston. I have some photos at:

You may also want to try going to P Town (Provincetown) for an over night trip. A high speed ferry also goes there from Boston. P Town is at the tip of the cape but not near the ferry to Martha's Vineyard.

If you take any boat rides (P Town, Whale Watch, or Martha's Vineyard), I recommend taking them early during your Boston trip so any weather problems will not cause problems with your trip home.

Travel Tips for Boston

Hotel where your stay begins

by salinajosef

Copley Square and Beacon Hill We have heard so many times the false promises made by the service providers, dealers, retailers and even the web portals. They simply try to drain away all our hard earned money with their attractive promotional offers. With online transaction the dealing becomes more risky. However, there are few websites available that delivers more than what we look for. Thanks to Choice4hotels.com which made my trip to Boston very smooth and tension free.

Everything was to be done on a very urgent basis, so I had to check websites for providing me sufficient information. Firstly, I booked my hotel rooms from some other websites, and as promised I got the booking confirmation instantly. But to ensure that everything is fine, I called up the hotel and to my horror they said that no booking has been made in my name. I was really pissed off at that time. Then I tried to contact the customer service but they were least bothered about it. I asked for the refund if they can’t help me with the booking as my credit card was already charged, which is still on the process.

Choice4hotels is one of the largest hotels booking service provider since 2001. Every year we serve thousand of hotel booking worldwide and to my greatest satisfaction everything was done within minutes. I booked hotel that was within my budget and when I called up the hotel.

Do not try to buy beer or wine on a Sunday

by amapola66

Do not try to buy booze on a Sunday, it is against the law. Even after living there for some time, I would forget and pop down to the store for something to go with dinner. (I had to show ID every time to buy alcohol too, even when they knew me from living down the street).

Remember to have something in, should you fancy an impromptu visit to/from friends for Sunday lunch (not that this happened there much, I must say).

Many parts of MA are actually alcohol free zones and it is impossible to buy anything at all, on any day. Not that we are the worlds greatest drinkers, but as I say, when you have unexpected visitors over on a Sunday, it is nice to be able to offer them something other than coffee ; )

When visiting Boston, a...

by katie0139

When visiting Boston, a wonderful attraction for tourists is Quincy Market. Quincy Market is filled with plenty of good places to eat, wonderful kiosks for purchasing souveneirs, and just soaking in the Boston air. My fondest memory of Boston was my sight-seeing. I spent the majority of my trip wandering around the city, going in and out of wonderful stores and cafes. To stand and just admire the beautiful skyscrapers is truly magnificent!

Beacon Hill Nice walk...

by Birsen

If you take the T ( Bostonians call the T for Subway Line)to Park Street you can see this Beacon Hill Street just next to the park. There is a long walk they call Freedom Trial. They painted this route with red line. Any way we didn't do the whole thing. I don't thing it's a big deal.

Parking

by Gypsystravels

We circled around trying to find a place to park, after driving into the Prudential Center and noticing that their prices were very steep (even for us New Yorkers'). We quickly did an enter and exit and continued to look for a place to park. We found a place about three blocks from The Christian Science Center where we were reluctant to leave the car.

The place was down an alley and looked a bit "dodgy". We decided to just pray and hope that the car would be okay while we did our thing in the city.

We paid $10 to park until 8:00 pm (we arrivied sometime around noon).

Needless to say, the car was fine and we worried about nothing. I will try to find the receipt with the information regarding this parking place.

Comments