Three Mckinley Square, Boston, MA, 02109

Marriott.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

• fdrich29's Profile Photo

Stay at a historic Boston Landmark

The Custom House has been one of my favorite buildings for many years, I've always been attracted to the golds and blues of the 22 foot clocks of the building. The land for the Custom House was purchased on September 13, 1837 and the construction of the building was approved by President Andrew Jackson. The Custom House was completed in 1849 but a need to expand in 1905 saw the addition of the clock tower around 1915. Since the building was owned by the federal government it was not restricted to 125, per Boston code. The addition of the tower brought the Custom House to 496 feet. In 1986 Customs moved to the Thomas P. O'Neill Building and the old Custom House was no then considered surplus property. In 1987 the property was purchased by the City of Boston and in 1995 it was announced that the property would be redeveloped into a Marriott Hotel. The Custom House Marriott has 87 rooms and cost approximately $350 per night.

Directions: Look up, find the building with the clock tower and there you are.

More about Marriott's Custom House

we loved the Marriotts Custom House did find the noise on Thur to Sat

We loved the Marriotts Custom House did find the noise on Thursday, Friday and Saturday Night but we are going back again in October 2006 staff excellent room very clean, so near everything. We are so looking forward to returning. I hope to get a Harbour view this time and High floor so I do not hear the noise, but so what it is only for the few nights

Great Time at the Custome House

by TripAdvisor Member jrw89144

We stayed at the Marriott Custom House for 4 nights and had an excellent stay. We were on the 16th floor in a 1 bedroom unit with fantastic views of the city. The hotel is in a great location with easy walking distance to; many restaurants, shopping, harbor, subway and tourist attractions. An auto rental is not needed if you plan on staying in Boston. No need for a taxi, we took subway right from the airport and ended up across the street from the Custom House all for only $1.25 per person. The room was excellent, lots of space, comfortable bed, large bathroom and 2 TV’s. The staff was very friendly. Don’t forget to go to the top floor and see the 360 degree view, its great. The only downside was the bars letting out at 2 am in the area on Friday and Saturday with very loud noisy drunks walking the streets. Except for the drunks, (my wife wasn’t happy but I slept through it), we had an excellent stay.

So good, I am headed back next week

by TripAdvisor Member BarefootTom

This place is tops. As a business traveler, I get a little jaded -- after all, one Marriott is just like the other, right? WRONG!

This place is clean, quiet (don't know what the bad reviews about noise were all about) and the staff puts the personnel at a Ritz-Carlton to shame!

First it's much like staying in a national monument. The architecture is outstanding and the building, put up in 1847, is solid as a rock (read quiet). I never heard my neighbor during three days there.

The top three floors: Game room/laundry with the inner workings of the huge clock, workout area and then the observation deck are incredible.

The staff does whatever it takes to ensure you are satisfied -- in fact, elated -- with your experience there. Karen, the concierge, looked up all the information I needed and then, learning that my wife is coming back with me next week, called her at home and gave her the proper web sites to check on attractions before she arrived in Boston. It was her idea, not mine. The front desk is always asking if more can be done for you.

There's no pool or restaurant, but you have privileges at the Marriott Long Wharf, two blocks away.

I AM going back to the Custom House next week. I can't imagine staying anywhere else when in Boston.

Good Choice

by TripAdvisor Member howard2004

Was pleased with this Marriott Vacation Club location.
Same price as many hotel rooms. Had a 1 bedroom on 23rd floor. (Helped with street noise). A historic building that's a stones throw from Faniuel Hall (spelling?) the Aquarium and the T line. Clean, with helpful staff. Needed a new remote and blankets, both delivered quickly. Breakfast not worth it here, but walk over to Quincey Markets, and have an inexpensive meal. Room had small living/kitchen area, small bath and small bedroom (Private) . 2 tv's, vcr and dvd.
Games and free pool table and small air hockey in game room. It was freezing while we were there, so location was important as long walks were out of the question. Took the orange trolley buses. Good deal for getting around to tourist stops. But the t is really close. Parking is a major rip-off, in good weather I would have looked for a cheaper spot and walked to hotel. But they had me due to cold at $35/night for valet. See the USS Constitution. Great for history or boat lovers. Free, but give a donation.
IMAX was also enjoyed by my 10 year old. This was is in 3D.

Wonderful

by TripAdvisor Member PopesReviews

I am tardy in my reveiw of this property but found myself bragging about it to friends this weekend and thought I should make my positive feedback official. This is a beautiful property! The location is excellent! The staff is wonderful! Our suite had a roomy living area, and an adequate bedroom and bathroom. Since this is a resort, there are planned activities every day if you wish to participate. The fitness room is nice.
The building itself is so beautiful and historic, it is hard to believe you are staying there. There was tour in the lobby when we left one day. It wasn't instrusive, it was neat.
We will certainly stay there on our next trip to Boston!

Custom Fit

by TripAdvisor Member ancientmackem

Booked 3 day stay with friend for Boston visit. We liked it so much we stayed for extra 2 days. As we wanted to sleep separately - settee couch bed in Lounge area enabled each to sleep in a separate room. The small kitchen facility with microwave also proved useful for breakfast at beginning of day and for eating 'take away' food when weary with museums and Heritage Trail.
As a converted building from Boston's past it is very central (80 yards from Quincy's Market and trail) and next to Long Wharf. The quality of the building indicates its importance to the past and the conversion works well.
It has a gym with comprehensive equipment - but sadly much equipment broken at the time of our visit.
Room heating in bedroom not working and required 3 reminders before they said it couldn't be fixed and offered room transfer.
Never the less a very enjoyable stay at a reasonable price - (for major city centre).

Even Better Than Expected!

by TripAdvisor Member lizrogatz

We chose the Custom House for our stay with our daughters based on reviews we read on this site. We thought the hotel even exceeded our expectations. The suite was spacious and very nicely appointed. The bathroom large and clean. The decor lovely. But, even better than all of that was the location! With young children the location is absolutely ideal. Would highly recommend this hotel to families. Would stay here again on our next visit.

A Winner

My wife, sixteen-year-old daughter and I stayed for three nights, April 17-20. We loved it. The facility has the weighty feel of history and that's a wonderful asset in historic Boston. The suite was very nice and we loved the location; steps from Quincy Market, Boston Massacre site, State House and Freedom Trail etc. Boston is a "walking" city and the Custom House is a great stepping off point. It's nice to return to at the end of the walk also. My family is clamoring to return and I'm certain we will. Note-hotel parking is costly; on-street parking in the area however is very difficult. Perhaps investigate local, cheaper, overnight parking. Once in the Custom House you will probably walk to most destinations.

Best mode of transportation from Airport to Marriott Custom House

by dbones

My husband and I will be flying in to Boston Friday, arriving at about 8:30 a.m. and we'll need transportation to the Marriott Custom House which is located at 8 McKinley Square.

What would be the easiest, most reasonably priced way to get there? We aren't renting a car until Saturday.

Thanks

Deb

by nomad7890

If you look at the Marriott site http://www.marriott.com/hotels/maps/travel/bosch-marriotts-custom-house/
under transportation, they show being off the Aquarium stop for the blue line.

Now you can go to the boston metro map and ... wow, a *very* close two stops off the blue line, which is right off the airport!

Nomad

by nomad7890

oops, here's the metro map link:

by alansm

If you have a lot of luggage, you can take a taxi. Total cost with the $6.50 toll and "adder" is about $25. If you want to take the subway, take the complimentary airport shuttle bus marked "Subway" to the Blue Line "T" Station to the "Aquarium" Station. The Custom House is very close to the station. Cost is $2 a person. You'll need to buy the tickets inside the airport terminal.

By the way, DON'T rent the car to see Boston. You don't need it and parking is VERY expensive. Boston is very walkable and the "T" will take you to any further out areas.

AlanM

by dbones

Thanks to both of you for your tips!

Actually, we're renting a car the next day because we're driving north up the coast of Maine to Ogunquit.

My original plan was to pick the car up on Friday but when I read about how awful parking is in Boston and how close we are to everything while at the Marriott, I realized we wouldn't need the car until we were leaving the city.

Your suggestions have been a big help...thanks again!

Deb