Midtown Hotel

Satisfaction Average

Costs 34% more than similarly rated 2.5 star hotels

• cruisingbug's Profile Photo

Best Value in Boston

After reading reviews here and on trip advisor, we decided on Midtown, mostly for its free parking. We booked a room for about $90 per night and were pleasantly surprised upon check-in. The place is nothing fancy, but suited us fine. The room was quite large, bigger than the one we'd had at our supposedly 3-star place in Plymouth, very clean, and included a coffeemaker, hairdryer, etc. The staff was friendly and helpful. The hotel is located in the Back Bay area, within easy walking distance of the Prudential building, with its many stores, restaurants and T stop.

I'd highly recommend this hotel to anyone who doesn't have carte blanche on an expense account - it was easy to drive to, had a secure, free parking area, and was a great value!

Unique Quality: There is an outdoor pool surrounded by rooms but it was closed in late March (for good reason).

Directions: across from Church of Christ, Scientist

• Mr_Test's Profile Photo

Boston Midtown Hotel.

86 usd

Unique Quality: Inexpensive and confortable. You can park your car right underneath it. Its near some major atractions (Like the Prudential Tower) and the Tourist Buses stop near by. But I must reccomend that you walk!!!

More about Midtown Hotel

Fabulous place for the money

by TripAdvisor Member welovehhi

You can't beat the MidTown for the money ! Yes, it is rather BestWesternish, but you won't find anything cheaper in this location - not to mention that parking is included (nobody in the city includes parking - it is generally $25 - 35/day). Clean, quiet, friendly, great location and affordable ... I stay there every time I am in Boston.

Pleasant Surprise!

My wife and I stayed here from Dec 30 - Jan 3. The hotel is in a great location. The hotel looks like it is stuck in the 60's but the room was clean and that was all we needed. I would stay there again.

Very Satisfied with Service, Room and Location

by TripAdvisor Member WJFlanagan

The hotel is at a great location, one block north of the Symphony T Green Line stop and one block south of Prudential, within walking distance of the Northeastern campus and the Prudential Mall. The first night I had a ticket to hear the Boston Symphony at Symphony Hall and walked there from the hotel--less than a block--in under ten minutes.

There is a restaurant onsite but it was closed when I was there in late January. On the other hand, between the mall (which has several chain restaurants in it) and the campus, there are plenty of places to eat and to pick up incidentals. The rooms were bigger than I expected based on my experience with other budget hotels, not lavishly furnished (just a functional table and two chairs) and the bathrooms were on the small side.

The front desk was extremely helpful, allowing early check-in and trying to meet all requests (a room away from the street, a nearby room for a companion who checked in a day later than I did); you can also leave your bags with the bell captain on the day you check out if you want to do some sightseeing before heading to the airport; a couple that checked out ahead of me was told they could leave their car in the parking garage for a couple of hours (if they removed it before check-in time) while going around the city.

The only complaints I had were that the elevator was not centrally located and there was no ice machine on the second floor: You had to traipse down to the first floor.

Certainly, I wouldn't expect a luxury experience for this price, but, except for the minor caveats listed, I was fully satisfied based on realistic expectations.

Needs new owners and managers

by TripAdvisor Member Justnin

For the thifty family needing a Symphony/Prudential Hotel: This place has the monopoly for those locations, but that is all. This Hotel is bare-bones/sleep if you can/ minimum effort lodging. The lighting, bathroom doors and cable T.V must have been installed by overnight dim-wit contractors, because they hardly ever work. The management and staff need some real customer service training, but are never completely rude. It's sad, but the Midtown seems to get worse with each visit. If you want the best economy location in Boston for the bargain $130 a night(off season)- here you are. Other than that, you might want to opt for the slightly cheaper Howard Johnson at Fenway, or slightly more expensive Doubletree Hotel Downtown/China Town.

Good location but needs maintenance

The favorable amenities of this hotel are its convenient location, friendly staff and safe below ground parking which is "free". But in a crowded neighborhood like downtown Boston, there is no such thing as "free".

The hotel is conveniently located near the Prudential Business Center, the Hynes Convention Center, Copley Square and Boston Common and within walking distance of Fenway Park.

So far as comfort is concerned, the hotel, which is a low rise and quite a hike from the lobby to the restaurant or most distant rooms, is vastly overpriced. It would seem the cost of the "free" parking is made up in the price of the room.

The building and its amenities range from bland to jaded. Though our room was clean and spacious enough, with plenty of closet and drawer space, the air conditioner would not work "because it was between seasons". And the casement window, when opened, could not be closed all the way because the gear was stripped on the handle, a sign of poor maintenance. With the rooms facing busy Huntington Avenue, street noise is prevalent.

Least recommended is Pepperoncini's Restaurant attached to the hotel at the far end. Simply bad food, including breakfast and cheap coffee!

The best city in the US

by Inga78

My x boyfriend gave me a ticket to Boston for my birthday when I turned 20. We went there for 4 days and it was great. We booked a room at the Sheraton but they were over booked so they moved us with out asking us to the Midtown Hotel which I thought was not very nice. But I couldn´t be bothered since I was not gonna spend my time in the room...I was on a mission with my credit card! Ching ching!! The best thing about shopping in Boston is that they have bridges between the malls so you don´t have to go outside you just walk straight into the next mall!! More ching ching on the credit card! The people are nice and the town reminds me very much of Europe. the people are relaxed and I thought it was the best city yet that I have seen in the US. So if your gonna shop book a hotel preferably the Sheraton because you can walk straight into a mall from there and go shopping!!! I loved it and am deffinetly gonna go back since my friend might be going to University there...Harvard darling! I did have pictures but they ended up in the garbage when we broke up.... :-)

Hotel Help

by kjcjmc

Anyone stayed at the Holiday Inn Express on Boston St? Is this hotel ok and close to the "T" station? Is the area safe? Any other recommendations for hotels. I only need around a 2-3 star hotel - just the basics in a safe area within walking distance to the "T". Thanks!!!!

Re: Hotel Help

by alansm

The hotel itself is ok, but it is NOT in a great area. Safety, particularly after dark, would be a major concern. I would suggest staying at a hotel in the Downtown Area instead. If money is a main concern, try the Holiday Inn Select in Government Center or the Midtown Hotel in Back Bay. Both are pretty reasonable by Boston standards,

Comments