Newbury Guesthouse

Newbury Guest House
Hotels.com Expedia.com Booking.com

• Tracyden's Profile Photo

Felt like home

We felt at home straight away in our hotel room - it was comfortable and modern. The bed was comfy and everything was clean. Although there is no tea making facilities in the room there is a tray in the reception area where you can help yourself.

Breakfast was the same everyday - but was well cooked and enjoyable. There was a selection of cereals, melon, scrambled eggs, bacon, english muffins, butter and jams - tea and coffee. There were also take away cups so you could grab an extra coffee to go.

Unique Quality: Homely and comfortable in a great spot for eating out and shopping.

• Paul2001's Profile Photo

A Great but Affordable Guesthouse

Let me make one thing clear about Boston. By European standards there are no cheap places to stay. At least someplace that I would send a love one and want him or her to sleep in relative comfort. When I began to consider a visit to Boston, which was about three months before I actual did arrive in the city, I thought that I would be best to book a relatively affordable place to stay well in advance. After some research I came up with the Newbury Guesthouse. I choosed this establishment for a couple of reasons being cost and location. The room I stayed in cost me $140.00. That is cheap by Boston standards but to be honest the room was small for an American hotel room. In much of Europe this room would have cost about half as much. Still the room was well maintained and very clean. The location was great as it was just six blocks from Fenway Park and near many bars and restaurants. The guesthouse is in a row of three old brownstones that does give the place a rather homey feel that I liked.

Unique Quality: The Newbury Guesthouse is presently being renovated to some degree. They are building a bar in the basement. The staff here was quite friendly and helpful.

Directions: Just north of the Prudential Building which is a helpful landmark. The nearest subway station is the Copley Square Station.

• johnnytech's Profile Photo

A perfect budget escape on Newbury

My parents stayed in this hotel in August, 2005. I appreciated the "old Boston' ambience of this converted three story brownstone. Staff were friendly and gracious. Their room was nicely decorated and beds were comfortable. Their room with two queen beds for the two of them was just under $200/day after tax. They also rented a space in their parking area behind the hotel for our car at $15/day.

Breakfast included bacon and scrambled eggs, bread, bagels, muffins, cereals, fruit, coffee and tea, and newspapers in the breakfast room

The hotel is on fashionable Newbury Street in Back Bay, a great location with a number of good restaurants along the street.

My parents were delighted with this hotel, and would try to stay there again.

This is not the place for people who prefer modern, high rise, steel and glass hotels.

Unique Quality: This hotel is in the perfect location for a true Boston experience. The shops on Newbury street, as well as the restaurants appeals to those who love true cities, and the location is very close to two T stops. Normally the cost of a hotel in Back bay would be through the roof, but this cute B & B is the perfect solution if you want a comfortable stay without all the hype.

Directions: Directions on the website:

More about Newbury Guesthouse

Convenient, quiet and clean

by TripAdvisor Member catphoto

The Newbury Guest House is in a wonderful walking neighborhood, close to many restaurants and shopping (expensive). It felt safe walking by myself (female) in the evening. The room was clean although the bathroom was quite plain. My room was in the back of the building and very quiet at night. The staff was not overly concerned when I mentioned that the front door does not lock automatically when let go. (They give you a key to the front door, so I assumed it should be locked) The breakfast has many choices and is a comfortable space. They held my luggage after check-out so I could visit the area a bit longer. Boston is a expensive city and the Newbury Guest House is a good value.

loved this B & B

by TripAdvisor Member keeks2020

The Newbury Guest House was a perfect place to stay. It is obviously right on Newbury street so it was very close to all the great shops on that street!!! It was also very close to the T and to the Prudential center (we went to the Sky Walk which is great way to see Boston and hear about the history with their audio tour). The rooms were very nice. We had the midlevel room and it was large enough for us and very clean. The breakfast was also very good. I would definitely recommend!

Good budget hotel, great location

Came to the Newbury Guest House as part of a month long trip to the East Coast of the US. This hotel was in an excellent location - Newbury Street is lovely, surrounded by lots of restaurants and shops and a great place to spend an evening! I also find it quite close to everything, within walking distance to Boston Common etc., but there are also transport links nearby. The hotel itself was fine - room nice and big, bed comfy which is the main thing on such a holiday! Bathroom ok, shower not great but does its job! Given the price we paid to stay here, it was excellent, cannot expect luxury if you don't pay for it! Breakfast also included which was lovely and served in a charming little dining room. All in all, great for the price paid. Understand previous reviews about the staff, although they answered every question we had and were available if needed.

The great location doesn't help this place

by TripAdvisor Member JLP1224

I reserved a room at the Newbury Guest House based on the recommendation of a colleague who also provided me with their brochure. Since their collateral material and website looked nice, coupled with my co-worker's good word, I figured I couldn't go wrong.

Upon arriving at the Newbury Guest House my husband and I noted the considerable construction and renovating occurring outside their walkway. Although an eye sore, I can certainly understand when improvements are necessary and did not allow this to influence my opinion of the B&B.

The general seating area seemed nice and quaint although the front desk left a bit to be desired. As we took the elevator up to our room and walked down the hallway, I noted that several of the drop ceiling tiles were stained. As we entered the room, we were very disappointed to find that it was not nearly as warm and inviting as the pictures in the brochure or website. We had reserved their biggest (and supposedly "nicest") room with bay windows and a love seat. The paint on the ceiling was cracked and peeling and much of the wall space was not only void of pictures or decor but also poorly painted and/or chipped. The love seat was dirty looking and had two giant rips in it (one conveniently covered up with a throw pillow). In general, the place seemed a bit run down and, unfortunately, was not the "weekend retreat" we were hoping for. We hopped online to find different accommodations and were out the door within a half an hour of arriving.

Keep Looking!

by TripAdvisor Member Lisa_SCS

My husband and I just returned from a 2 night stay at the Newbury Guest House. While the location is excellent, the place is a bit of a mess. Firstly, our room was infested with small ants living around the bathroom/entry door area (Gross!). The entire room had terribly patched drywall/plaster walls and sloppy paint jobs. The hardwood floor was spattered w/ paint as though it was just slapped onto the walls w/o a dropcloth The elevator is very slow, which was unfortunate for us up on the 4th floor. The bed was very squeaky so every move you made was anoying. The parking spots are extremely tight in the alley behind the building, so don't count on your big SUV fitting. We were lucky to have my small car and not my husband's full size truck. Plus, the parking policy requires you to leave your keys at the front desk which becomes a bit of a pain when you want/need to access your vehicle. Next time we'll stay elsewhere, even if it costs more money.

Great place for those on a budget

by TripAdvisor Member TonyPR

This was the second time that I stayed at the Newbury Guest House--the first time was last November. In November, I needed to be particularly frugal and stayed in one of their economy rooms. They are a little small, but unless you plan on spending a lot of time in your room, it doesn't really matter. The downside of the economy rooms (at least the two I was in--I'll get to that in a moment), is that there is no table or desk. Since I was travelling on business, and I use my laptop a lot, this made things a little difficult. The first economy room that I was put in had a mold/mildew problem, apparently due to a recently leak. When I complained about it, they immediately put me in a different room.

On my most recent trip, I stayed in one of the deluxe rooms. Everything was great, although like another poster mentioned the heating system can be a little tricky. I figured out how to adjust it, though, and everything was fine. On both stays, I also noticed that controlling the water temperature in the shower can be a little tricky--there is a very fine line between frigid and scalding. Not a big deal after my first shower.

The staff are particularly friendly--and the housekeepers are very nice. The breakfast is nice because it is actually a full breakfast (eggs, bacon, french toast, cereals, fruits, muffins, etc.). One warning, though, if you are on a budget the Newbury Street area can definitely be a drain on your wallet! There are a lot of boutique shops and very expensive restaurants (try Steve's Greek place down the street for relatively cheap, and great, Greek food).

All in all, I really like the Newbury. If I didn't, I wouldn't have stayed there a second time.

Great Inn!

by TripAdvisor Member HartselleTraveler

My husband and I stayed here for a long weekend in August 2005. The location was extremely convenient for touring Boston. Our room was very nice and clean. The front desk clerks are a little indifferent to guest but we did not have any issues while staying there. I would recommend this inn to anyone.

great budget stay

by TripAdvisor Member lilyc

This place is in a great location, right in the middle of newbury street which has the best shops, bars and restaurants that we found in Boston. It is very convenient for the trolley/metro, close to the bridge over to Cambridge/Harvard and shops of Boylston and the Prudential Centre. We had a front facing room at the top of the guest house with a lovely bay window and views of the Prudential and John Hancock towers. The room was decorated in a vintage style in keeping with the age of the property, the rates were reasonable and the breakfast buffet was just enough to start you up for the day! The only downside would be the tempremental air conditioning, but although the room was sometimes a little warmer than we wanted it was never unbearable (and coming from such a cold climate we were worried how we would handle the heat!)

boston - newbury guest house

by ltt

hello. first trip to boston next summer and plan on staying at the newbury guest house. for anyone who has stayed there, i have a couple of questions. i am travelling alone and will be there for 3 nights. when i made the reservations, she suggested that since i'm there for 3 nights, i'd be more comfortable in their midsize room rather then their smaller "best value room". it is $20/more per night. i am on a tight budget but don't want to be too cramped. is it worth (in your opinion) the extra $20/night to get the larger room?
also, the front rooms would enjoy the view of newbury street and people watching but she said it can be a loud street. i enjoy people watching but also want to get a sound sleep. would you get the front or back rooms?
thanks.

Re: boston - newbury guest house

by joesorce

The traffic gets noisy pretty early in the morning, maybe around 6:30am weekdays so it depends on how late you'll be sleeping. I think I'd take the quiet room, you can always just take a walk down the block if you feel like people watching.

The rooms are old and outdated and small. But for one person I think they are fine.

Comments