155 Portland Street, Boston, Massachusetts, 02114, United States

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• matthewh1's Profile Photo

Onyx Hotel

Good Hotel.
    Good location, you can walk to the major Boston sight within 10 minutes.
    The street doesn't look good, but it is close to three bars and North Station.
    The hotel has a small gym and only 1 desk with a computer and printer, which they call a business centre.
    Breakfast is in their Ruby Room, but its only a room because they have separated it from the main room which holds the reception desk.
    You walk into the hotel facing their Ruby Room, their reception desk is on the right hand side with the lift close by.

More about Onyx Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel

nice pub near North Station

by sacajawea610 about Porters Bar

A nice place to go before or after a Fleet Center event, it's next door to the new Onyx Hotel.

Also, they have music on Friday and Saturday nights. the buffalo wings, I hear the recipe is 'imported' from upstate New York.

Kimpton Group Scores Again!

by TripAdvisor Member FlyiHigh

I insisted on staying at the new Onyx Hotel for a 2-night stay in early October because of the excellent experiences my husband and I have had at other Kimpton hotels. We were not diasppointed! Although the rooms were not large, they had ample amenities and a luxury feel. The bedding was wonderful...too bad we explored Boston from early to late because it was tempting just to snuggle in the down comforter and quality linens. Loved the bathrobe, too! The staff was friendly and most helpful. We used the valet parking and our car stayed in the garage as we walked everywhere and never felt threatened or lost. Staff was friendly and helpful. Our only complaint was they did not have an "in" or good recommendation for the famous authentic Italian food in the North End, but made reservations for us at an upscale "metro-type" restaurant which was excellent, but not what we had in mind. The complimentry continental breakfast was more than adequate and we loved the martini glass of Boston Baked Beans candy in our room. Thanks for a great stay. We'll do it again!

clean! clean! clean!

by TripAdvisor Member luvnyc76

we stayed at the onyx hotel on march 13th, we saw a basketball game, perfect location, 5 min walk to the game, has a 7/11 on the corner, also dunkin donuts, burger king, all 3 min walk! after the game we walked to a sports bar called "the fours" awesome food !!! its a 5 min walk from fleet center!!! the T is 5-7 min walk, fanuille hall about 10 min walk. the hotel lobby is small, and are the rooms (we had a king room) big enough for 2 people-we weren't in the rm much anyway, but i can't stress how clean and beautiful they are, nice black and red decor, bed was heaven! bath robe a little worn, staff super friendly, free coffee in morning, didn't try the restarunt, room service pricey (but when is it not?) we payed $160 through AAA, parking was $35. i would stay again anytime!

A Very Comfortable and Pleasant Stay

I have just returned from 5 nights at the Onyx Hotel in Boston. I booked a package including flight from the UK and deluxe room (with king size single bed) through Expedia.com.

The room was wonderful, beautifully decorated, and with nice fittings and a good view from the 8th floor. This is a new hotel and the room felt new and nicely modern. Internet access, and a room safe were also provided. All the staff were very friendly and helpful. The food was also of a very good standard with a good room service menu. There were also some neat touches; complementary wine (5-6pm), complementary breakfast, complementary transport to the financial district, complementary access to the internet in the lobby, and so on. There is also a small but chic cocktail bar in the lobby, which was frequented by guests and others.

Any downsides? The mini bar was extensive but expensive (mind you, there is a 7/11 nearby). Perhaps more importantly the district is a little 'rough' around North Station by night, where the hotel is situated. During the day it is fine, but I arrived late at night, was briefly lost, and felt a little insecure. Finally, there is not much immediately nearby except sports bars (because the Celtics are close by). Nevertheless, the hotel is in easy reach of all the main attractions in Boston, via a short T-line subway journey, which only costs one dollar 25 cents (to anywhere).

So overall, my stay was very good indeed, and I would happily stay again. They are trying to estbalish the Onyx as a good, and slightly different, popular hotel. By my reckoning they are succeeding.

omnificent

by TripAdvisor Member Claricus

This hotel is one of the nicest I have ever stayed. Exceptional value for money, if you get a good deal. Don't expect a huge room, but the standard more than makes up for it, and its stocked with everthing you could need. Well situated for exploring Boston by foot. There is no restaurant but the pubs a few doors down are great. Just go you will not be disapointed!

Tiny or Cozy?

by TripAdvisor Member KurtBoston_MA

Everything is tiny. Tiny lobby, tiny rooms and even on a seemingly tiny street. Yet the decor and the staff manged to turn this all into a plus. Decor had a very hip feel to it yet was very comfortable and soothing. Staff was incredible and the complimentary wine hour and cont'l bkst added to the welcoming atmosphere.
Really enjoyed the atmosphere in the Ruby Room and the menu and food was great. Even though it comes across as "light fare", the quality, service and portion size made us turn it into dinner.

Only drawback would be some tourists may be put off by its unusual location. The neigborhood is a bit gritty but you're within walking distance to Fanueil Hall, Fleet Ctr events and the North end.

Have also stayed at its sister Hotel - the Marlowe and found it equally as enjoyable.

Great little secret

This hotel is located in the middle of everything. A car will only slow you down. Take a cab, which is located down the block or just walk.

The "T" is is only a 3 minute walk from the hotel.
All the bars are located only 5 minutes away (walking distance).

The staff Rocked!!! Plenty of towels!
Continental breakfast provided by the hotel was also good.

I would stay here again.

great hotel great food great location

I got reservations thru "AAA". It beat all others by $20. Give them a try.

This is definately a 5* hotel at 3* prices.

Plush towels, bath robes, high end soap, shampoo. Free happy hour, very nice free breakfast.

The restarant was exceptional. We were in a hurry to make a concert at the Fleet center. The hotel has a small bar/restarant. The food was GREAT. It was fast and tasted great.

I will definitely go there again.

super comfy bed

by TripAdvisor Member yippyskippy092

The beds at the Onyx are lovely! Fun bathroom, great amenities, lots of towels, incredible staff and service. Slept through the free breakfast, but hear it's good!

You can walk to the T in 3 minutes!!

Only problem was the heater/ac unit in the room was noisy . Only spent one night there so don't know if other rooms had same issue.

Overall experience was satisfactory

by TripAdvisor Member Luna3627

We stayed at the Onyx this weekend for my birthday. The hotel itself is nicely decorated, and the entire staff was very friendly and professional! When we first checked in we noticed that housekeeping had forgotten the shower curtain, and it was taken care of in under 3 minutes. The bathrobe they provided was nice(leopard print), but did have a hole in it. My main complaint was that we were put in a non-smoking room instead of the smoking room we had requested. When I called to inquire about it, the desk clerk was very apologetic but said that they were at full capacity and were unable to move us to a smoking room. They have changed the breakfast buffet from complimentary to $11.95 per person, and I'm not sure if we just hit it at an off time, but it was horrible. As other users have stated, the Onyx is very close to the area attractions, and the honor bar is pricey, better off picking snacks up at a local convenience store.

Seeing the Celtics - Where should I stay close by?

by imlikeabird

Going to see the Boston Celtics play, either in October or December. Any suggestions where to stay? Preferably close by the Fleet (or Banknorth Garden, whatever they're calling it) safe but it doesn't have to be fancy. Any thoughts?

RE: Seeing the Celtics - Where should I stay close by?

by tracys2cents

It's easy to get to the Fleet on the T subway system so find the best rate at any location in Boston, cambridge or suburbs....as long as it is near the T or even the Commuter Train you will have no problems. We stayed at Amerisuites in Milford and it was near 2 T stations. Will you have a car or are you flying into Logan?

RE: RE: Seeing the Celtics - Where should I stay close by?

by imlikeabird

We're flying from Missouri. My husband and I have both been to boston, but not together. It's been a bit since I've been there

RE: Seeing the Celtics - Where should I stay close by?

by alansm

I concur with Tracey. Much of the Downtown and Waterfront are actually "walkable" to the Garden, but the rest of the city is accessible via the "T". Next store to the Garden is North Station, which has the stations for the Green and Orange Lines, as well as the commuter rails to the north and west. One less thing you really have to worry about.

RE: RE: Seeing the Celtics - Where should I stay close by?

by tracys2cents

The Onyx Hotel is right there near the Fleet, also the Clarion Bulfinch. Shawmut Inn is nearby but is a budget place with some dreary reviews.

Comments