4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Costs 37% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

More about Renaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel

Trendy new hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member JerseyGirl319

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Renaissance Boston the beginning of this month and we loved it! We are Marriott associates, I work for another Renaissance and he works for the Ritz Carlton. Don't expect us to be biased... we are quite the opposite. We are actually quite picky because we know what to expect and we know exactly how we should be treated and we know all the standards. This being said this was a great, super trendy hotel.

Check-in was average, but quick. Our room was nice. It wasn't that big but then again its a city hotel so thats to be expected. I have to say the room was nicely appointed and had nice touches. Very modern and very clean.

The public areas of the hotel are awesome! Super trendy and it reminds of me of NYC hotels.

We had cocktails before dinner at 606 Congress, their restaurant/lounge. Our server was so friendly and the food was great. Very chic inside.

Overall we had a great experience. The only thing I regret is that we didn't stay longer... I would have loved to have try the pool if we had more time. If you're in Boston I would definitely recommend this hotel. Its definitely top notch.

Renaissance Waterfront = Wicked Good

by TripAdvisor Member Brklynrider

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights over Memorial Day weekend and it was a very nice experience. As the other reviewers have mentioned it is a fairly new hotel and I kind of was expecting some of the kinks to not have been worked out yet, but to my surprise and pleasure our stay was virtually error free.
The only problem we had was we were on the breakfast plan, meaning the breakfast in the restaurant was included in the room price and every time we had breakfast they said we weren't on the plan. Luckily I had brought the Marriott confirmation email so in the end they took off the breakfast bills.

POSTIVES =
1 - These rooms are very fresh, new and have a New England theme to them which is very nice to see. I am Marriott Reward member and am use to the cookie cutter type rooms and this room was bright, different bedding, nice furniture, glass shower stall, etc.
2- the room also had very modern amenities like IPOD docking station/alarm, flat screen tv, cordless phone, free bottles of water, etc. All very nice touches.
3- The location of this hotel is great. We almost stayed at the Marriott Long Wharf - thank goodness we didn't. We visited that hotel because it is near the aquarium and piers and it is in a noisy/loud, crowded area. The Renaissance is a short walk to downtown - the silver line, if you don't want to walk is across the street and cabs were readily available.
4 - The staff was great from checking in and giving us a nicer room to the waiter staff in the restaurant to the concierge who gave us excellent restaurant choices (Mare in North End was fantastic).
NEGATIVES=
1 - As others have mentioned the parking at $39/night is a bit of a joke, especially on a Holiday weekend. We made the foolish decision to keep our car at the hotel. The Seaport, one block away is $29/night, plus for the weekend we could have street parked it ourselves. We didn't use our car all weekend. Boston is very pedestrian friendly and the T (subway) very easy to use
2 - We were put on a concierge level as an "upgrade" but the concierge lounge was closed the entire weekend stay and Monday because of the Holiday. It's kind of odd that a big-city hotel doesn't have a concierge open all the time.

I would highly recommend this hotel if you can get a good rate, don't mind not being in the direct hub of everything. We were here for leisure travel so not being in the Copley Square or Business areas were fine for us. We loved the unique-local flare this hotel had as well.

Nice new place. Kind of far away!

by TripAdvisor Member SAKM

The Renaissance was a great modern hotel. I thought it was pricey since it isn't located near any of the Boston attractions. The rooms are clean and have a great view of the water. The staff was nice but not necessarly knowledgable of buses and subway stops. They want everyone to take a taxi. There is a bus stop less than a block away. The fitness room is awesome. There aren't too many restaurants around. We did enjoy a great meal at Legal Test Kitchen right next door. I think I only saw about 2 other places within walking distance.

Extreme Lack of Customer Service

by TripAdvisor Member PattyFromCharlotte

As others have written, this hotel is new and has some very nice amenities. Although the room was not very large, the bed was very comfortable. My issue with the Renaissance is that the air condiitioning never worked during my 3 night stay at the hotel, although I requested that it be repaired on Wednesday morning, Wednesday evening, and Thursday morning. No one from the hotel ever contacted me to apologize or provide updates, nor did they offer to move me to a new room with functioning air conditioning. The last time I called was late Thurday evening and I was extremely frustrated. I told the "on call" staff person that I thought their customer service was among the worst I had ever experienced (and I travel frequently for business.) Even after my angry call, no one from hotel management contacted me. O.K. so why didn't I demand to be moved at some time during my stay? My mistake, I kept trusting that maintenance would fix the unit and figured I could live with the 75 to 78 degree room temperature for one more night.

Fresh New Hotel in a Prime Locale: Near Convention Center & Downtown

by TripAdvisor Member BrooklynRider

Stayed her over Memorial Day weekend and was pleasantly surprised. This Hotel is in the new "waterfront district". It is a revitalized area spurred on by the new convention center and is being designed and developed specifically toward conventioneers and business travelers.

We drove and the arrival route was simple - right off of the Big Dig Tunnel (which itself is a magnificent experience in urban roadways).

The hotel is new with a modern design that seems to riff on the waterfront location. The design is fresh for a Renaissance. It offers the familiar experience of Renaissance Hotels for Marriott Rewards members, but seems to take the brabd standards up a notch.

The furnishings seemed to recall New England maritime homeswith effect white wall covering and an excellent selection of functional furniture and amenities. The rooms are conveniently wired with very easy access for electronic and computer devices. The bathroom design replaced the tub and curtains with a full shower stall (which neither leaked nor fogged up.)

The restaurant was nothing spectacular, but it offered a relaxed atmosphere that I feel offers guests a more homey feel .

In terms of tourism, the hotel is located centrally between the Seaport World Trade Center and the Convention Center. It is about four blocks to the downtown area and an easy walk.

The silver line services the area, but you'll most likely be required to switch subway lines to get to destinations around the city. Subway travel is both pleasant and easy.

Boston is a relatively small city and foot travel is recommended. Like NYC, Philadelphia, and Washington DC, it is designed for walking.

Some restaurant recommendations include Legal Seafood, Union Oyster House, and Mare. We took a side trip to the JFK Presidential Library and JFK boyhood home, both easily accessible via subway.

As mentioned in previous reviews, the primary full-service Marriott choices are the Marriott Long Wharf and this Renaissance. I would highly recommend this hotel as it offers easy access, but less commotion of tourists.

Service was excellent. Parking exhorbitant (but street parking and cheaper lot parking are abundant in the area).

Great place, location, everything.

by TripAdvisor Member Sarafromfla

My husband and I stayed June 5-8. The hotel is only 4 months old, and very, very nice. The decor is almost identical to the Renaissance Times Square. Check in was easy, and they gave us late check out too. It is odd that they don't have a bell room where you can leave luggage in the event you have a late flight.
Very close to the airport - a 5 minute ride on the Silver Line T.

The staff is very helpful, and friendly. We only ate breakfast in the restaurant, but that was very good. The calamari at the bar is the best I've ever had, and the two bartenders we visited were nice and informative too.

Very nice gym and pool. No spa or hair salon though.

There were only two odd things 1) no in room safes. I don't remember the last time I stayed in a hotel without one. and 2) There's no small table in the room we stayed in for room service. They brought it on a large serving tray and put it on the bed. Just odd. There seemed to be a space in the room for a table. Maybe they haven't been put in yet.

Defnitely stay there again.

Beautiful Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member pumacharleston

I did not know what to expect going to this hotel. The prices for hotels in Boston were outrageous! This one seemed to be a little less. There weren't too many reviews which made me very nervous. We were 3 miles from the airport and decided to take a taxi for a ridiculous price 14 dollars per person for 3 miles! We were not off to a good start. When we walked into the hotel it was beautiful. Very light colors with high cielings. You can tell it is a brand new hotel very modern looking. We checked in which took 5 minutes. We requested an early check in time and a high floor room. We got them both. We were on the 18th floor with a beautiful view of the ocean. The hotel is a bit away from everything which makes it nice. It is a nice waterfront area that was beautiful to look at. Our bed was super comfy and the bathroom was very nice with a great shower that had glass doors. The staff was always willing to help and there was always a member of the staff in the lobby to help. You never had to go looking for someone. We ate once at the hotel and that was for breakfast. The buffet it was great and with fabulous service. I was upset that for dinner we went to a restaurant next store which was not good. I wish we would have tried dinner at the hotel Great hotel and when I go back to boston I will stay at again.

Bring your cell phone w/u to the Bathroom 6.12.08

by TripAdvisor Member HBCarroll

The new Marriott Renaissance Waterfront is a beautiful, high tech hotel with one of the best set up for all our tech toys but beware of the bathroom doors! I shut mind and could not get it open. I did not lock it...just shut the door. Lucky for me, I was traveling that night with my mother, unlucky for me, she had forgotten what a phone looks like or how to use it. She did manage after 1.5 hours to figure out how to call and the hotel sent security up and maintanence, I did get out but they said I wasn't the first...so bring your cell phone with you to the bathroom at the renaissance.

Front Desk and Customer Service is a NIGHTMARE

by TripAdvisor Member sam_adams_rebel

Trusted that the front desk could take my credit card and make the appropriate charges - I won't make that mistake again. Despite having prepaid for the room on priceline.com, they tried to charge me three different times for the room. This billing nightmare persisted even after the front desk "manager" claimed to have fixed the problem. The whole credit card fiasco ruined my stay there. My experience with the front desk staff there was like dealing with the mafia trying to shake me down for money and harrass me. Still shake my head when I think about how awful the front desk staff was, and how poorly trained they are. The hotel property is beautiful in an excellent location with excellent amenities. The national, corporate office really needs to look into training for the front desk. Ironically, the rest of the staff in the house was outstanding. Check, check and re-check your bill before you leave this place. Even though Bostonians can be a bit annoying, these folks are over the top.

Great Location

by TripAdvisor Member scoobydoo38

My partner and I stayed at the hotel for 1 night on route to Provincetown, the hotel location was great, it was so near the ferry terminal and also the town centre. The staff at the hotel were great and very friendly and very helpful. After check out I had asked for an umbrella and was given one straight away. The room was amazing, very beautiful and modern with lovely furniture. We didn't have breakfast in the hotel, but we did get a quick breakfast at the Starbucks which is attached to the hotel. Unfortunatly we didn't get a chance to use the pool or the gym on this occassion. But we hope to return to Boston again next year and will diffinatly stay here again.

Comments