Royal Sonesta Hotel

5 Cambridge Parkway

• tojoh's Profile Photo

Discreet luxury in Cambridge

The best thing with this hotel is the staff and their wonderful service. During the whole stay you feel extremely well taken care of as a guest. They have done their homework. They are, through their hotel computer system, well informed that you are a returning guest. Porters and receptionists welcome you back, and even “remember” details from previous visits.

And sometimes it pays off returning. The last time we stayed there, I had ordered a Cambridge view room, but was informed that I had been upgraded to a Charles River view. The picture gives you the spectacular view one late summer morning, but you can sit enjoying the American feeling by watching all the lights from the highrise buildings of downtown Boston during the night.

And they provide you with excellent service during your stay and the are very helpful if you need information on what to do in the Boston area.

The rooms are very spacious, and delicately decorated, in beige, and cream. The double rooms you get two, very large and very comfortable beds, so much room for one, and even for two to dream the night away. So even so much space that we have, at one occation even have stayed three.

You have a television, concealed in an elegant TV-cabinet, radio alarmclock and a hot water bottle so you can make coffee and tea in the morning. And if you want something stronger you can use the hotel minibar.

The bathroom have a bathtub and shower, all beautifully decorated. And there are small bottles of shampoo, conditioner, and bath foam.

And all the rooms are immaculately clean and very well maintained.

From a budget point of view, the Royal Sonesta is not the best deal in Boston. The best price, with a cambridge view in february (low season) is $139 + tax. Still you get much for your money, the service, the comfort, and the experience of discreet luxury

A very good place to stay, and for those of you that want a romantic weekend, Royal Sonesta is a very good deal.

Unique Quality: And if you want to stay in the hotel, there are plenty to do.

You can visit the Dante Restaurant, bar and patio where you can get food, and during the hot season you can sit outside enjoying the river view sipping to a Gin and Tonic, or a Long Island Iced Tea.

If you want to stay fit you can visit the Health Club and their wonderful swimming pool, that even have a retractable roof so you can swim outside during hot days. Or you can be pampered in the Spa department.

Directions: The hotel is located by the Charles River, close to Lechmere, the end station of the green lines. The hotel is situated with a magnificent view at the river and downtown Boston with Beacon Hill, the Charles Bridge and the Back Bay Area.

• Great Experience!

I would definitely recommend this hotel!

Unique Quality: The Royal Sonesta provided us a wonderful stay during a stressful time. My son and I traveled to Boston so he could see specialists at Children's Hospital.

The 9th floor room at the RS was lovely, exceptionally clean, with a balcony overlooking the river. As there was a couple of inches snow on the ground I didn't expect much of a view, but it was breathtaking -- and there were even some nutcases practicing their rowing on the river before we left.

The staff at the RS was very courteous and friendly. I suspect we were spoiled a bit because of my son...but it also seemed to come naturally to them. We were there 3 days and after the first, room service just knew that we'd want hot chocolate after we'd been out. We are southerners, after all, and were very nearly frozen through!

The bellman was my son's favorite person. He magically made taxis appear when we went to the door! (I didn't have the heart to explain the concept of a taxi stand!) The concierge helped us with dinner reservations and ice removal from the balcony. Everyone was just GREAT and things just got done!

More about Royal Sonesta Hotel

Incredible!!

I would highly recommend the Royal Sonesta Cambridge. The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful. The bedding was luxuriously soft and comfortable. Had Boston not had so much to offer, I would have stayed in bed all day. Great location and close to the T.

Great hotel on the river

by TripAdvisor Member groovywilma

I stayed at the Royal Sonesta 10/21/04. The staff were nice and pleasant. The room was neat, spacious and clean. We had a beautiful view of the Charles River and the colorful fall leaves. There is a large mall across the street with many food choices. The only concern was that the T station nearby was under construction. I booked this hotel for $125 a night on priceline. I would stay here again.

very nice

We stayed here in the summer of 2003. The staff is very, very friendly and helpful. The rooms are a good size, and everything is clean and attractive. The location is really good for families, as it is across the street from the mall, which has eateries and typical mall stores. The train is a bit of a walk, but I think the hotel is still convenient. We would definitely return.

A good hotel, average location

We stayed here in April 2005. We thought it was a very nice hotel. Great rooms and a great view (if you can get it). The Pool area was excellent. Nice bar and cafe area too.

Our biggest concern before we left home was its location. The reviews on the internet are mixed. Some said the location was good, some didnt. We thought the location was so-so. The Subway line nearest the hotel was down where we were there so we relied on our feet, taxis and the hotel bus.

The hotel is a brisk 30 mins walk to Boston Common. The walking route is a bit messy as the "Big Dig" roadworks are still going on in that area, but its a pretty safe walk. The nearest bus stop into town was a 10 mins walk, we never used it. Taxis from Boston Common were $10 incl tip.

The hotel has a couple of courtesy buses that depart during the day but you have to put your name down for them as space is limited and there are only a few each day.

Parking is $19 a day self-park (you can come and go as you please) or $22 for Valet.

So, the location wasnt bad, its kinda "near-central" but its something to consider if you specifically want a dead central place (but be prepared to pay central prices!!) Lovely hotel though apart from that. Lovely city too!

Very pleased with this hotel

I stayed at this hotel for a full week to enjoy one of America's greatest cities: beautiful historic Boston.
My room on the seventh floor facing Cambridge was excellent, with good beds, excellent bathroom, good TV etc..
Receptionist, concierge and other staff were very friendly, helpful and professional. Very good location with excellent transportation to Boston: a bus in front of the Galleria (every 20 min) or a bus around the corner in front of the Museum of Science (every 10 min). Good Italian restaurant in the hotel (Davio) but rather expensive. The Galleria shopping center opposite the Sonesta is just great: nice variety of stores, a large food court with fast foods and eateries and also a very pleasant and outstanding restaurant "The Cheesecake Factory".
Just one negative point: the soundproofing between the rooms was not very good and the door slamming was quite audible.

need a budget hotel near Cambridge

by timwallick

need to find a budget hotel that has access to public transportation system to Cambridge hopefully under seventy five dollars per day and near decent food.

will be traveling on Saturday for a week long conference.

any suggestion would be helpful along with contact information.

thanks Tim

by alansm

You probably already know that finding a hotel room near public transportation in Cambridge is a near impossible task. However, your one option may be to use a bidding site for Cambridge. If you do get a place for that money, it would likly be the Tria, but thaqt would meet all your criteria. Even their regular "Rack Rate" is considerably higher than $75.

by johngayton

You could try the Super8 N Beacon St, Watertown which should be within your budget. It's on the bus route to Cambridge (about 10-15 minutes ride). Rate includes an OK-ish breakfast but they don't do any other meals. There's a great pizza place not far away though (and a liquor store!). www.super8.com Having a quick look at the site it doesn't seem to be available on the Sat tho' but is available from the Sunday.

by footstool

say, Alansm, I have never used a bidding site. Once you undergo their process, you are locked in, right? and you do not know which hotel you will be staying at? Is that what you give up (control), in exchange for a lower price? and is the price indeed lower? Thanks.

by unaS

bookmark

by alansm

That's exactly it. By the way, my fingers sometimes move faster than my brain. Hopefully, what I meant to say was understood anyway: Finding a hotel in Cambridge on public transportation lines is very tough AT THAT PRICE POINT.

by bocmaxima

When exactly are you doing this? How many are traveling?
Royal Sonesta has small doubles that run about that range. And it's really well-located. I stayed there last year, and it's a very nice hotel, although I didn't stay in that tiny room.

hth

by timwallick

im not sure exactly how many are going they will be leaving here late saturday night.i understood what you meaning was about transportation.thanks for the information so-far keep it coming. will forward the information on the sonesta

thanks tim

by footstool

While in Boston, check out the Museum of Bad Art. It is a scream!

Comments