THE LIBERTY HOTEL

Expedia.com Hotels.com Booking.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

• rudysmom626's Profile Photo

A One-Stop Shop in Beacon Hill

The Liberty Hotel was built in the old Charles Street Jail, located adjacent to Massachusetts General Hospital and in Boston's historical Beacon Hill neighborhood. I remember staying at a nearby Holiday Inn during Head of the Charles years ago, when this building was just a historical relic, so I was really interested in staying here when I was visiting. Also, I knew I wanted to write one of our VT Top Tens about Converted Hotels, so I thought it'd be a great excuse to do some research while staying at a place a lil more expensive than I usually go for!

The hotel was amazing - they've incorporated details of the original jail, like barred windows and the catwalks, and totally included them into the hotel decor and restaurants. It was definitely expensive, but it was very conveniently located, and it also had everything one could want in the hotel - a few great restaurants, an awesome lobby bar for meeting up with friends, even a nightclub in the basement that was buzzing until after 2am. Usually, I would be annoyed by the scene-ness, but it's sceney by Boston standards, so absolutely nothing compared to LA.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to others, particularly my guy friends who travel on business and want a "one-stop shop." However, I will warn everyone that the valet is an astonishing $42 dollars a day!! To make it worse, I only stayed one night, and they charged me for the valet for two days (even though I checked out before the check-in time for new guests, etc).

Unique Quality: The hotel is housed in a former jail, so there are neat nooks and crannies everywhere. The decor is very tastefully done as well. Even though the nightclub was open just past 2 and an entire basketball team was staying on my floor, I slept like a baby and wasn't kept up by the noise (which is the WORST in my opinion).

A few great aspects: Free High Speed In-Room Wifi, Molton Brown bathroom products, turndown service, complimentary champagne at check-in, and they were very nice about me checking out at 2 pm rather than 12pm.

The area is brutal for traffic and parking, so I used the valet - and while they were very helpful and nice, it costs an astonishing $42 dollars a day! I didn't try the restaurant, but I did go to the nightclub/bar, Alibi, with some friends, and we had a great time... good drinks, not too expensive considering the hotel, and fun music & atmosphere.

Directions: It is located at the intersection of Charles St. and Cambridge St. on the edge of the West End and Beacon Hill. It is adjacent to Massachusetts General Hospital, so follow signs to MGH. It is also located at the Charles/MGH T stop on the Red Line.

• Better for less near by

Where do we start....Champagne on check in..NOT. Waited 15 mins to check in ..only 1 receptionist and only 1 person checking in. Room okay but not 5 star and Upgraded King delux. NOT. Rang reception..I'm sorry that's all we have. View...the hospital ...nice. Room service 1st night okay. Checked in late and stayed up to fight jet lag....gets to 2am tv remote would not work had to get maintenance to get tv off. This happened 5 times in week...yes 5 remotes. Concierge ignored me for over 15 mins as he was on the phone..gave up and went back later. Bar service in lobby sometimes had no staff. We were at the hotel from England for a wedding and expected much better. On last day wanted to check out late.as flight 10pm was told normal 12 but comp late C/out 4pm..asked for later was told half day rate till 6pm if 7pm or later full day rate..this after I paid over 2k..POOR! When we checked in we offered cash upfront for room but was told not req so gave c card for security..later found out they had took payment upfront causing our bank to charge us for going overdrawn etc etc. Complained again only to be told "'I'm sorry". All in all a very poor experience we would not hope to encounter again!

Unique Quality: Relies on past ... Once you leave reception to tower room might as well be in budget accomodation

Directions: Next to hospital

• History and Luxury

The Liberty Hotel in Boston is an architectural gem, originally the Charles Street Jail, this building has been completely renovated to be an award winning hotel. i came to Boston for business and found this hotel to provide me with all the necessaries needed and provide me with that taste of luxury to keep my mind focused on business. Whether you are coming to the city for business or pleasure, you will find that the Liberty Hotel is the best choice.

• etfromnc's Profile Photo

Nothing like a night in jail

Fortunately, I have never had to spend a night in jail. If I ever do I hope that it can be the old jail of Boston, Massachusetts. Although our jail in Charlotte is a pretty modern looking building, I would never guessed that the Liberty Hotel was once the Charles Street Jail, had someone not told me. Having learned this little tidbit, I did some research and discovered that from the mid-19th century until 1990, this building was the jail where Boston kept her most prominent criminals, including the very infamous Boston Strangler. Actually, only 18 of its approximately 300 guestrooms are in the former jail. Those 18 are in the granite front part of the hotel. The remainder are in a newly built 16-story tower added to the rear of the old jail.

Unique Quality: The rotunda at the entrance was once the exercise yard for the jail while the bar and one of the two restaurants have various distinct reminders that this was once a jail. The guestrooms are actually very modern with HDTV and VOIP telephonesbut they also have hints of the jail heritage such as bars on the curtains and stripes on the bathrobes. The views of the Charles River, Beacon Hill, and the Boston skyline will definitely make you want to "break-out" and see more of Boston, in fact it would be a crime if you did not.

Directions: At the foot of Beacon Hill

More about THE LIBERTY HOTEL

great hotel

by TripAdvisor Member sandsCharlestonSc

i have been to many hotels and the liberty hotel is by far the best. the staff went out of their way to make everything perfect. we have been there twice and we will always stay there when we are in the area.anyone who wants to have a truly wonderful experience must stay here. judith knight

Excellent Service, Outstanding Experience, Amazing Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member conniebunny

I have never written a Trip Advisor review before, but the service I received this weekend at The Liberty Hotel was so outstanding that I found it necessary to tell others about this unique hotel.

We celebrated my partner's birthday at The Liberty Hotel this weekend. Prior to our arrival, I talked with the concierge (Mary Anne) and reservations (Jackie) several times. Both were extremely attentive and willing to go the extra mile without hesitation. All of my emails and phone calls were returned promptly.

Upon our arrival to the hotel, we were greeted immediately and offered a glass of Rose Champagne. The lobby is simply breathtaking! Our bellhop escorted us to our room and gave us a brief synopsis of the history of the jail-now-hotel that got us even more excited about this unique experience.

Our room was amazing--we stayed in the "Breathtaking King." Everything was arranged to perfection and as requested. The room had everything one could want: Bordeaux wine glasses, plush robes, slippers, an umbrella, etc. The view of the city was wonderful, too. Since we were in a corner room, two of the four walls had floor to ceiling windows. I love the fact that this hotel is brand new. Everything in our room was modern and looked as though it had never been touched.

Our breakfast was extremely delightful and delivered in less than 30 minutes. When we requested more towels, they were delivered in less than 10 minutes and we received much more than what we requested.

I have stayed in numerous four and five star hotels around the world. The Liberty Hotel is one of the best hotels in its category by far. We will definitely go back to The Liberty Hotel in the future.

Doing time - and loving it

by TripAdvisor Member Manoftheworld1

The Liberty Hotel has two parts; the remodeled old jail and a modern tower which contains most of the guest rooms. We stayed in the tower and the room was excellent. Modern, clean, comfortable and quiet. The hotel maintains the integrity of the former jail and adds a modern design making for a unique hotel experience. The bar Alibi is a great place to relax and enjoy some drinks and while we did not eat dinner in the restaurant, Clink, breakfast was superb. The best part of our stay was the service. The staff goes out of their way to make sure this 5 star hotel delivers a 5 star stay. I know I will be back on my next trip to Boston and I highly recommend the Liberty Hotel.

A Captivating Experience

by TripAdvisor Member Pesapenny

The Liberty Hotel is a wonderful amalgamation between historic Boston and a sleek modern style. The Liberty was converted from the Charles Street jail into a luxury hotel with the alluring pun-tagline, “Be Captivated.” Certainly, it is an unusual concept but the historic background only adds to this hotel’s appeal. Upon entering, you are transported to the main lobby by an escalator that allows one to take the time to appreciate the unique architecture of the original rotunda. The ceiling is three stories high and the eye is drawn upward to the complex wooden rafters, and the granite walls have large glass windows with detailed panes that let in a lot of natural light to the airy lobby. The modern, well-chosen décor enhances the historic building with an understated elegance and a muted color palate accented in tones of red. The modern design and color scheme has continuity throughout the hotel and into the rooms, which share the same minimalist luxury. The hotel has maintained subtle touches of the original purpose of the building; the hotel key-cards have printed replicas of the jail keys used, the “do not disturb” door hangings are imprinted with “solitary,” the bar is named “Clink” and the restaurant is named “Alibi,” and there are informational panels in the lobby which outline the history of the jail.

The “Breathtaking King” is a corner room with floor to ceiling windows for two of the walls. The views stretch from Boston to Cambridge, and even on the fourth floor the view of the city’s skyline was incredible, especially at night. The bathroom had a shower and a large tub, with plenty of amenities, such as luxe bathrobes, quality toiletries, slippers, and loofahs. The room was comfortable, with a videophone and a plasma flat-screen television, and the furnishings and décor were more sleek and apartment-like than the traditional hotel decoration. The mini-bar was well stocked with high-end, albeit overpriced, liquor, soft drinks and snacks.

The staff was pleasant and well trained, from the parking valet to those at the concierge. Upon check-in you are offered your choice of sparkling wine or bottled water and you are given a thorough explanation of the services that the hotel offers, as well as a quick history lesson of the background of The Liberty. The hotel is popular at night; the trendy bar “Clink” is open until two a.m., which is unusual for Boston, and serves well-made drinks (The “Boozinberry” is recommended) and is packed with many twenty-somethings. Be prepared to navigate through crowds to get to the bar, although grab a chair in the lobby early and a waitress will serve to you directly. Soon, a full restaurant will be opened, which will definitely enhance the range of dining experiences that The Liberty offers. The popularity is likely to be enhanced by the ideal location, as The Liberty is located steps away from the MGH stop on the red line on the T, and is a block away from the quaint East End of Boston.

The Liberty provided a new side to Boston, a city that I have lived in for five years. My boyfriend (a native of Boston) and I have had a wonderful experience and would recommend the Liberty to anyone, both visitors and inhabitants of Boston alike. We spent one short night here, and wished we were staying the week! Our curiosity drew us to the Liberty, especially since we have seen the abandoned jail and the renovations process. Not knowing what to expect, it is a jail after all, the Liberty has left a lasting impact upon both of us. I was most impressed with how the hotel has managed to maintain the original building while still providing a four-star experience. It is surprising to me that there is no “bad energy” that one would expect from an old jail, in fact, I believe that the hotel was spiritually cleansed before its opening. My boyfriend and I look forward to returning to the Liberty for another “vacation” in a city that we both know and love!

Relaxed Luxury

by TripAdvisor Member barbarnard

I have found other luxury hotels artifical and stilted. This hotel manages to be both luxurious and relaxed, respectful and vibrant all at the same time. Everything is perfect from the analogue clock and an umbrella in each room, the shower, bed, etc. Staff are especially excellent - attentive without ever being overbearing or too formal.

The location in Beacon Hill is an ideal base for exploring Boston.

I highly recommend the Liberty!!

Loved the Liberty

by TripAdvisor Member CvrGrl

My boyfriend and I decided to stay at the Liberty after it had been recommended to us by a friend. We were in Boston during the Noreasters that hit and our flight had been canceled, so needless to say, I didn't know what to expect as far as reservations went.

We were all set up with the Breathtaking King room, and were pleased to be greeted with an offer of champagne or water. The lobby is obviously very new and modern but still had some of the old charm of the jail (they have the entire history posted on a wall by the elevators....very cool!). I requested that we have a room on a higher floor and was surprised to see it was honored for once! We had a quiet spacious room on the 16th floor with great views of the harbor! Everything in the hotel room was great - from the bathroom to the comfort of the bed, to the views.

The only problem we encountered was when at 9:00 at night, I wanted to take a shower, only to find we had no hot water. It was rather cold outside but I was definitely bummed. The front desk clerk was very helpful though, calling me to give me updates on the water situation. When I woke up the next morning, it was fixed.

I would absolutely stay in this hotel again.. it is above and beyond worth the price.

Boston's newest luxury

by TripAdvisor Member klimz

I decided to stay at the Liberty during my most recent trip to Boston because I wanted to see this new hotel for myself. Built in the old Charles St Jail, this hotel has been getting tons of good press. The service and product did not disappoint. In fact, I was quite impressed with this hotel's quality and consistency of service and amenities. Most memorable was the excellent check in service (with complimentary sparkling wine), the large and luxurious bathrooms and the complimentary towncar service.

Wonderful Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member hoomie

Absolutely the most beautiful hotel. Great great, did I say great location. Service beyond compare. Our room service coffee was delivered within 15 minutes. No kidding. Cannot wait to return for a spectacular stay. Oh and the Molton Brown products were wonderful......I could go on and on.

shell hatch

by mooga1998

I will be attending a concert with my children next month and want to find a hotel (reasonable) that would hopefully be within walking distance, as my kids would be tired at that point. Any recommendations?

by alansm

Sorry for the repeat answers. I requested that they be removed. Meanwhile, here's what I was trying to post:

Most all of Downtown Boston is walkable to the Hatch Shell, since the city is very compact. The closest hotels are the Taj (formerly the "old" Ritz Carlton) and the Liberty Hotel (formerly the Charles Street Jail). You'll have to be the decider on what's "reasonable Cost. If it's less than those mentioned, try the John Jeffries House.

by heywinks

Yes, those are the closest hotels, though they are pricy. You can try the hotels near the Prudential/Copley, which is about a 20 min walk. There's a Sheraton and Hilton at the Prudential that are nice. There's a B&B on Newbury St too, but I forget the name. Sorry.

Newbury Guest House.