THE LIBERTY HOTEL

rudysmom626's Profile Photo

A One-Stop Shop in Beacon Hill

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 11, 2012

The Liberty Hotel was built in the old Charles Street Jail, located adjacent to Massachusetts General Hospital and in Boston's historical Beacon Hill neighborhood. I remember staying at a nearby Holiday Inn during Head of the Charles years ago, when this building was just a historical relic, so I was really interested in staying here when I was visiting. Also, I knew I wanted to write one of our VT Top Tens about Converted Hotels, so I thought it'd be a great excuse to do some research while staying at a place a lil more expensive than I usually go for!

The hotel was amazing - they've incorporated details of the original jail, like barred windows and the catwalks, and totally included them into the hotel decor and restaurants. It was definitely expensive, but it was very conveniently located, and it also had everything one could want in the hotel - a few great restaurants, an awesome lobby bar for meeting up with friends, even a nightclub in the basement that was buzzing until after 2am. Usually, I would be annoyed by the scene-ness, but it's sceney by Boston standards, so absolutely nothing compared to LA.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to others, particularly my guy friends who travel on business and want a "one-stop shop." However, I will warn everyone that the valet is an astonishing $42 dollars a day!! To make it worse, I only stayed one night, and they charged me for the valet for two days (even though I checked out before the check-in time for new guests, etc).

Unique Quality: The hotel is housed in a former jail, so there are neat nooks and crannies everywhere. The decor is very tastefully done as well. Even though the nightclub was open just past 2 and an entire basketball team was staying on my floor, I slept like a baby and wasn't kept up by the noise (which is the WORST in my opinion).

A few great aspects: Free High Speed In-Room Wifi, Molton Brown bathroom products, turndown service, complimentary champagne at check-in, and they were very nice about me checking out at 2 pm rather than 12pm.

The area is brutal for traffic and parking, so I used the valet - and while they were very helpful and nice, it costs an astonishing $42 dollars a day! I didn't try the restaurant, but I did go to the nightclub/bar, Alibi, with some friends, and we had a great time... good drinks, not too expensive considering the hotel, and fun music & atmosphere.

Directions: It is located at the intersection of Charles St. and Cambridge St. on the edge of the West End and Beacon Hill. It is adjacent to Massachusetts General Hospital, so follow signs to MGH. It is also located at the Charles/MGH T stop on the Red Line.

Better for less near by

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 10, 2011

Where do we start....Champagne on check in..NOT. Waited 15 mins to check in ..only 1 receptionist and only 1 person checking in. Room okay but not 5 star and Upgraded King delux. NOT. Rang reception..I'm sorry that's all we have. View...the hospital ...nice. Room service 1st night okay. Checked in late and stayed up to fight jet lag....gets to 2am tv remote would not work had to get maintenance to get tv off. This happened 5 times in week...yes 5 remotes. Concierge ignored me for over 15 mins as he was on the phone..gave up and went back later. Bar service in lobby sometimes had no staff. We were at the hotel from England for a wedding and expected much better. On last day wanted to check out late.as flight 10pm was told normal 12 but comp late C/out 4pm..asked for later was told half day rate till 6pm if 7pm or later full day rate..this after I paid over 2k..POOR! When we checked in we offered cash upfront for room but was told not req so gave c card for security..later found out they had took payment upfront causing our bank to charge us for going overdrawn etc etc. Complained again only to be told "'I'm sorry". All in all a very poor experience we would not hope to encounter again!

Unique Quality: Relies on past ... Once you leave reception to tower room might as well be in budget accomodation

Directions: Next to hospital

History and Luxury

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on March 17, 2009

The Liberty Hotel in Boston is an architectural gem, originally the Charles Street Jail, this building has been completely renovated to be an award winning hotel. i came to Boston for business and found this hotel to provide me with all the necessaries needed and provide me with that taste of luxury to keep my mind focused on business. Whether you are coming to the city for business or pleasure, you will find that the Liberty Hotel is the best choice.

etfromnc's Profile Photo

Nothing like a night in jail

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on November 10, 2007

Fortunately, I have never had to spend a night in jail. If I ever do I hope that it can be the old jail of Boston, Massachusetts. Although our jail in Charlotte is a pretty modern looking building, I would never guessed that the Liberty Hotel was once the Charles Street Jail, had someone not told me. Having learned this little tidbit, I did some research and discovered that from the mid-19th century until 1990, this building was the jail where Boston kept her most prominent criminals, including the very infamous Boston Strangler. Actually, only 18 of its approximately 300 guestrooms are in the former jail. Those 18 are in the granite front part of the hotel. The remainder are in a newly built 16-story tower added to the rear of the old jail.

Unique Quality: The rotunda at the entrance was once the exercise yard for the jail while the bar and one of the two restaurants have various distinct reminders that this was once a jail. The guestrooms are actually very modern with HDTV and VOIP telephonesbut they also have hints of the jail heritage such as bars on the curtains and stripes on the bathrobes. The views of the Charles River, Beacon Hill, and the Boston skyline will definitely make you want to "break-out" and see more of Boston, in fact it would be a crime if you did not.

Directions: At the foot of Beacon Hill

• Suites
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free High Speed Internet

Boston Travel Forum

Need advice about Boston, Massachusetts? Visit the Travel Forum for Boston and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Boston hotel reviews

Filene's Basement - CLOSED
Downtown Crossing
Commuter Rail
Transportation
Bull & Finch Pub (Cheers)
By Airplane