Hyatt Regency Cambridge

3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

575 Memorial Drive, Overlooking Boston, Cambridge, Massachusetts, 02139-4896, United States

Hyatt Regency Cambridge, Overlooking Boston
Expedia.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

Satisfaction Average

Costs 47% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• Cabana_Boy's Profile Photo

Hyatt Hotels...

The Hyatt may be a bit of walk to the "T" and Harvard Square (especially in winter), but it's got a damn good view of the city and the Charles River....other than that it's your typical Hyatt hotel...

Directions: On Memorial Drive overlooking the Charles River...

More about Hyatt Regency Cambridge

Worst Stay Ever

Ok, so it's not the worst place I've ever stayed, but post college this is definitely the worst (the worst place was $40/night). Here is my list of issues with the Hyatt Regency Cambridge.

1) Prepaid for a king sized bed with a city view. When I arrived, they only had a room with double beds and it was not a city view. Unfortunately, their cancellation policy was zero refund, so I could either lose all of my money or take whatever they gave me. I consider this false advertising.

2) I upgraded to the "business plan" when I made the reservation. This is supposed to include Internet access and breakfast as well as a room on the business floor. This was $20/day, and since Internet access is usually $10/day and breakfast $10-15/day I figured I'd go ahead.
A) When I checked out they tried to charge me for Internet access. I had to argue with them to remove the charges.
B) The breakfast included only cold items that consisted of brown fruit, cereal, toast, muffins, and beverages (standard continental breakfast). I'm ok with that. But they automatically charged me $2.85/day in tax, gratuity, etc. So much for "complementary". I tried to argue this as well when I checked out, but they refused to remove these charges, and I was unwilling to argue over $2.85/day for more than 5 minutes.
C) I was woken up two nights in a row at 2am and 3am respectively by slamming doors, screaming and generally having a party in the room next door. It turns out, this hotel is hosting college students that attend the surrounding universities (not sure if it's MIT, or Boston University), so I can understand the party atmosphere. However, this is not what I signed up for when I upgraded to the business plan.
3) As for the room, the carpet was filthy. It is not pleasant to walk around on sticky carpet with brown and black stains. The room did not have heat (in Boston?) or the heat was not turned on, and no matter how long I ran the fan the room smelled of mold and mildew. All of the wood on the balcony was rotten. Towels were worn out. The Internet service disconnected me randomly for about 5 minutes every 30 minutes or so. I had to call an external number when this happened to get support. It is in desperate need of renovating.

The hotel used to have a restaurant called Spinnakers on the top level. I found out that it was closed down when I arrived and I can see why. Fortunately, my wife and I moved hotels the next weekend to the Marriott across the river, but not after spending $1400 at this place. If you were considering a stay at the Hyatt Regency Cambridge, I would spend the same money across the river at any other of Boston's finer hotels.

Confused Staff

by TripAdvisor Member hornecj

Pre-paid a river view room at this 10 floor hotel for $150 for the 4th of July and got a room on the second floor that overlooked a big, white tent with a holiday band playing all night. If we craned our necks, we could see the river through the trees and tent ropes. As it turned out, the second floor wasn't too bad because after the fireworks, swarms of people were waiting for the two very slow elevators to get back to their rooms. We took the escalator. The second floor also led to a walkway to the garage ($25/day parking fee) and the beat-up/service-looking elevator that led to the small indoor swimming pool and workout room. Signs to these amenities are sorely needed.

Even after overlooking these problems, we rate the Hyatt as OK because of the poorly trained staff. The check-in person was not very sympathetic to my complaint that I requested a high floor. The information desk person would not or could not provide me my dining options within the hotel. (Dining outside the hotel is not convenient.) The Zephyr restaurant host, guest services, and the room service person on the telephone were all confused about what food items were available for the special holiday menu.

If you can afford the extra $25 per night, stay at the Marriott near MIT in Kendall Square (Cambridge).

Ranks #1 in my Book!!

I disagree with all of the negative reviews about this grand hotel. My family and I were 100% satisfied from the welcoming staff, professional service, to the clealiness of the room, the upscale decor, new carved carpeting, top of the line mattress (you need a ladder to get into:) and plush down bedding.

When was the last time you called front desk and they address you by "Good Day Mrs. Smith, how can we be of service." They immediately address you needs. Rooms were spotless. So sad to see these negative write ups on a place that deserves only great reviews.

The lobby is the grandest with a glass elevator and indoor atrium with unit balconies. Fresh fruit at the front desk. An extremely knowledgeable concierge. Rooms are so soundproof with personal silent temperature controlled thermostat. Thick plush towels with Portofino toiletries and adjustable massage shower head.

Come On.... if you find fault with this place than you are just looking for an excuse. Go across the river, two minutes away into Boston and pay $350. per night instead of $150. and believe me there won't be much of a difference. And yes the shuttle runs on time, all the scheduled time and the workout roomand sauna and steam room and pool was to die for. I never saw such a large lap pool except fon the olympics. They provide plush towels are are very friendly. Just wish they stayed open past 8 or 9 PM.

Great view from the balcony, older room

by TripAdvisor Member jcb_sandiego

We just returned from a weekend at the Hyatt Regency in Cambridge, MA. We got a room with a balcony and river view, and it was well worth the upgrade. The balcony and the view was the best thing about our room! After our kids went to bed, we enjoyed the evenings out on the balcony facing BU and the Back Bay.

The second best thing about the hotel was the Bell Captain, David. He saved us from a parking nightmare at the hotel when there were no spaces in the parking garage, and TOTALLY took care of us. Even the next day, he went out of his way to make sure we had everything that we needed, and he was always very helpful with our two little kids (6 and 1, so they were at times a handful!). He really made our stay more enjoyable at the Hyatt.

We didn't use the pool, but ate breakfast in the restaurant in the hotel. The food was good, and the prices were average for the area.

The room was a little odd - you could tell the hotel was older - very short ceilings (probably because of the shape of the hotel, right above your room would be the room above's balcony) - funny little corner area to get to the bathroom. The carpet was pretty stained and kind of nasty, but the linens and bathroom were clean.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay - the Hyatt is a nice, centrally located hotel.

Great view, poor location

My husband and I got a sweetheart deal -- airfare to and from the Twin Cities and three nights in a hotel, at well below the regular price of either. Our stay at the Hyatt Regency in Cambridge was mostly safe and pleasant; even though we didn't pay for a Charles River view upgrade, our room overlooked both the Charles and Fenway.

However, we got conflicting information and spotty service from the so-called free shuttle. Basically, it runs when whoever's on duty decided it runs. Rules vary depending on who's in charge on a given day. One concierge might require advance booking, another might require us to call only when we're ready to be picked up. On our last day, we waited at Kendall Square for a shuttle that never came, and because it was starting to rain, we grabbed a cab.

In fact, a lot of our "sweetheart deal" savings were eaten up in cab fares. And yes, it is too far to walk to the T station, because we do a lot of walking in the city, and because the area around the hotel is not very walkable and mostly deserted.

There was a convention at the hotel at the time we were there. A passing glance at the food and facilities for the convention suggested that this hotel is probably better equipped for conferences than for tourists. And, the lack of a reasonably-priced coffee shop in addition to the "upscale" restaurant was a real liability.

Warning: Being Used as a Dorm for 400 Boston U. Students

We kept wondering why numerous 18-year olds were hanging out in the hallway outside of our room. We learned from the front desk that the hotel is being used as a dorm for 400 Boston University students because of overcrowding at B.U.

Upon check-in, we were given a handicapped-accessible room without a bathtub. When we complained, we were moved to another room which contained someone else's luggage. The staff removed the luggage and gave us the keys. About an hour later, a man knocked on the door looking for his luggage!

Moreover, this is the worst of the three Hyatt properties near Boston. The location is far from public transportation. The rooms were clearly in need of some TLC (ripped up arm-chair, cracked power outlet in bathroom). Definitely not recommended.

Great Experience

Stayed here after being placed in a dump by Priceline. Rates were reasonable. The lobby and hotel were nice and clean. The "help" desk for questions helped us out with any and all questions we asked. The room was very clean and there was plenty of room. I would stay here again in a second.

Boston University Dorm

by TripAdvisor Member kejibeard

Here is the letter I sent to the General Manager of the Hyatt Regency in Cambridge. Of course, I have not received a reply!

Dear Mr. Hickey,

I am writing to you in regards to my recent stay at the Hyatt Regency in Cambridge (2 rooms on September 2nd). Let me start by giving you a little background. During the 10 years my brother was at M.I.T. my family and I stayed exclusively at the Hyatt whenever we visited Boston (usually once a month). The last time I stayed at the Hyatt prior to this visit was in the summer of 1997. This past September my daughter has moved to Boston and there was never a question in my mind as to where we would stay when visiting Boston. The problem is that the hotel is certainly not the hotel it used to be. These are only a few of the things I noticed:
The hotel did not have the luxury feel it used to. It felt run down. Carpets were worn and torn in areas, mirrors were dirty, weeds were all over our terrace, exterior was in serious need of a paint job and the tiles on the terrace were so loose near the drain that I twisted my ankle.
It was a huge disappointment that the Spinnaker lounge is no longer open. This was especially surprising because when I called to confirm my reservation I mentioned something about how I was looking forward to a drink in the revolving lounge.
Room service: We ordered calamari and there were burnt French fries on the calamari(we didn’t order French fries). There was only 1 set of silverware even though we told room service there would be 2 of us dining. One of the 2 wine glasses on our tray was dirty with lipstick.
All of the above might have been some what tolerable but our departure day was not. We left the hotel early and then came back to the hotel around 9:45am. I needed to run up to the room to grab a couple papers. I waited 30 minutes for an elevator due to all the Boston University students moving into the hotel! Needless to say, our quick trip back to the hotel took a long time. The lines for the elevator were even longer when we came back to the hotel at 11:45am to gather our belongings and check out. If I hadn’t ‘cut’ in line we would not have been able to check out by noon. This is unacceptable for a hotel to not accommodate its guests. Perhaps having a separate elevator for hotel guests would be advisable. If I had wanted to stay in a college dorm I would have stayed at a Motel 6. I understand that all the Universities in Boston have housing issues but by allowing Boston University to use your hotel as a dorm signifies to me that I need to find a new hotel in Boston.

I tried speaking to you or any other manager on duty the day we checked out but I was told it would be a wait because ‘the manager’ was having a busy day. Possibly dealing with complaints from people who expected more of a luxury hotel?

Poor service

My husband and I visited this hotel over the Labor Day weekend. I had previously stayed at this hotel and the service was very good. Prior to booking the trip I called and inquired if they still offered a shuttle service to area attractions. I was informed yes. When we arrived I was told they no longer did this but would make an exception and transport us once to the T. Also the night we checked in the front desk was very inattentive. I had booked a room overlooking the Charles and our room did not. We were told sorry there was nothing they could do about it at that time. After our trip I sent an email to the Hyatt Corp. and I now know why they have such poor customer service. I did not recieve a respond to email for 10-14 days.

Cambridge Hotels

by Lauren5020

Hello VT'ers
Going to a conference in Cambridge, MA. It is being held at the Hyatt Regency Cambridge. Pretty pricey, approx. $190-200 a night. Looking for something VERY close but cheaper...Anyone familiar with the area? I won't have a car, so it should be within walking distance.
Thanks for the tips!!

by bocmaxima

Try the Royal Sonesta. I was there this past summer and the rack rates were about $120 (I went through Hotwire but only saved about $20/night). It's very convenient, has views of Boston and the Charles, and is walking distance to the Green "T" line. The immediate area is a bit sparse though, except for a shopping mall across the street.

by jeri&bryce_Boston

I live in Boston. Its easy to get around via train or cab. Try a bed and Breakfast, hotels are expensive. Hotels.com or even inquire about a holiday Inn across the water. A cab ride might be 10 bucks.

by johngayton

The Wikitravel.org page on Cambridge has some useful options - here's their Bed and Breakfasts list:

A Bed & Breakfast in Cambridge, 1657 Cambridge St., Toll free: +1 877 994-0844, Phone: +1 617 868-7082

Antrim House Bed and Breakfast, 16 Antrim Street, Phone: +1 617-491-5677, (Fax: +1 617-491-4055), email: jean@antrimhouse.com

Harding House Bed and Breakfast, 288 Harvard St., Phone: +1 617-876-2888 Toll free: +1 877-489-2888 (Fax: +1 617-497-0953)

Irving House Bed and Breakfast, 24 Irving St., Phone: +1 617-547-4600, Toll free: +1 877-547-4600 (Fax: +1 617-576-2814)

Lotus Place at Harvard, 208 Prospect Street, Phone: +1 617-504-5992 (Fax: +1 617-663-6284), E-mail: lotusplace@gmail.com $120-$200.

Yun's Place, Bed and Breakfast, 66 Hopedale Street. 20 minutes to Harvard Yard. Off-street parking. Internet. $109 per night. Phone: +1 617-987-2085

Last time I was in that neck of the woods I stayed at the Super8 at Watertown which was quite reasonable - it isn't easy walking distance but had regular bus service and taxis were fairly cheap too.

Hope this helps.