Le Meridien Cambridge

20 Sidney St, (formerly The Hotel at MIT), Cambridge, Massachusetts, 02139, United States

Le Meridien Cambridge - MIT
Hotels.com LeMeridien.com Booking.com

Costs 35% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• FreeCloud's Profile Photo

Cool Tech hotel!

This is a very cool hotel with all the decos of science and technology inventions/improvements associated with MIT and its faculty/staff.

For those who love science and technology, and aware of all the greatest achivements, you would love to stay here!

Unique Quality: Photos as proof of scientific and technology inventions/progress are all over the hotel. I had a room with a physicst staring at me at the time. :)

The bedspread is full of physics formula reminded me of all the bygone years...

The scones along the hallways are of electronoic circuitry - during my week of stay there, it just happen that the integrated circuit inventor just died of age of 81.

It is of walking distance to MIT campus, a full size supermarket next door, a few blocks to Red Line T station. A few blocks to the Charles River side.

Try to stay as higher floors as possible as the 4th is for smokers, if you stay on the 5th, occasionally, through their vent system, you would share some 2nd hand smoke. :(

Directions: Logan Airport: Sivler Line 1/waterfront to South Station, transfer to Red Line to Central Sq. Walk along Massachusetts Ave AWAY from the church, pass the fire station, turn right onto Sidney St.

More about Le Meridien Cambridge

High Marks for the Hotel @ MIT

by TripAdvisor Member sl96

We stayed at the Hotel @MIT over Father's Day weekend and would award it 4.5 stars if that was an option. The hotel is super clean with a great, friendly staff. We are Hilton Honors members and were upgraded from a standard to a Junior Suite. I can't compare this room with any of the others but it was a large bedroom with a sofa area on one end. It came with a mini-fridge which we weren't aware of and since we requested a fridge at check-in, another one was sent up very quickly.

As mentioned before, the staff was very gracious and friendly. We mentioned to them when we left the hotel on Saturday for a few hours that we could not get back to our room with an electronic key since we observe the Sabbath and can not use anything electrical. The gentleman at the front desk (Jim?) kindly told us that he would be happy to let us in upon out return. Not only did he do that but also ended up walking up the stairs with us to our 6th floor room since you can leave by the staircase but due to security may not be able to back up the stairs. Once he let us into our room he asked us if we needed any lights turned on or off since he realized that we can't so so ourselves until the Sabbath ended.

The only few complaints we had were that we called Friday evening to the Front Desk to alert them to the fact that our bath drain was not working. They told us that they would send an engineer right away. He never showed up that night. When we left the hotel on Saturday afternoon for an outing we mentioned it to them and they assured us someone would come up. It was fixed by the time we got back. Also - the cable selection was lame; very few channels to enjoy.

All in all we had a pleasent stay and would definitely recommend this hotel to others.

Beware of rates and cancellation policy.

My wife was in an automobile accident and in intensive care.

I called the University Park Hotel @ MIT 9 days in advance to
cancel her reservation. I was told that the reservation could
not be cancelled and that the credit card had already been
charged.

This was not their lowest rate. The reservation was made
directly with the hotel by phone.

Please be aware of thier rates and thier cancellation policy.

Great value doesn't mean a lack of style

by TripAdvisor Member Baker911

There is no doubt that you at the Hotel @ MIT. The techy-engineer style is around every corner. This hotel has had a huge renovation lately and they did a fantastic job. No detail is left out. Even the blanket on the bed had equations.

As far a value, this one is great. The hotel has style, a great bed, perfect service and a decent location. The location is probably it's only negative, but even that is not bad. It's two blocks from the T (red line), but there's not much to walk to (except MIT). But it is totally worth it - the room was awesome - it had a huge desk plus an easy chair and ottoman. The bed was perfect - so comfortable. The bathroom was pristine. They give you robes too - I love that. The best part is...it's not that expensive for the Boston area.

Here's a little example of the service: when we first checked in, we went to our room to unpack. I openned the closet to put in our clothes and found TWO SHIRTS. I guess the last guest had left them. So, we called the front desk to let them know. I guess they were concerned, so they offered to give us another room - we declined - the room was obviously clean, just some clothese left. They gave us each a free breakfast to make up for it (the breakfast is pretty good too). They really bent over backwards to make us happy and that left me and my husband with a great impression on the Hotel @ MIT.

Cool Cambridge Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member rushrush

Hotel@MIT is in a very convenient location in Cambridge and just across the bridge from Boston. The staff was very friendly. Very interesting and unusual artwork is in the hotel from the MIT Museum. We dined in the restaurant Sidney's one night and were impressed by the prices and quality of food.

Worst Hotel I've Ever Stayed At!

by TripAdvisor Member grandsalami

This place wins hands down the prize for the worst hotel I've ever stayed at in 25+ years of staying in hotels. No, not the worst Four Star hotel, the worst period.

Four star hotels are supposed to provide excellent serivce. This place has no interest in providing service on any level.

Problems I had during a 4 day stay:

1) Called for a wake up call. It didn't arrive and I was late for an important meeting. When I called the front desk they claimed they had no record of a wake up call. When I got down to the desk they changed their story and claimed that they had left the wake up call and I had answered. I think I'd know if I'd answered the phone!
They insisted it was my problem and refused to provide any sort of accomodation when it was requested.

2) Upon returning to the hotel the fourth day I was accosted by a hotel employee named Rebecca who asked me rudely as I was going in the elevator "whether she could help me". When I told her "I'm a hotel guest"
she appeared shocked. Now I wasn't wearing a three piece suit or anything like that, but I don't look like a homeless person either. And this was on the fourth day I was staying there!

3) Got lost in the Cambridge area the first night we stayed there and called the hotel for directions back to the hotel. Clerk was no help and basically told me
he didn't have time. We drove around for over an hour trying to find the hotel (when it should have been 10 minutes).

4) I opted for self parking ($20 day) rather than the
$28 valet parking. Apparently the hotel was supposed to give me a pass for the parking because when I showed our room key they would not let us out of the garage and kept us there for 15 minutes causing us to be late for an appointment. Unbelievable!

I wouldn't stay at the Hotel at MIT again if they gave me the room for free. Don't stay there -- even if you get a good price. There are plenty of other hotels in the Boston area that actually care about their customers. BEWARE!

Lovely Hotel

I absolutely loved my stay- the staff was great, and I loved the little touches. Although the location's not that great (I had a delightful view of a bank), and it's a bit of a walk to the T or anywhere, the service was fantastic. The front desk was very helpful and genial. The room I was booked in (not even a suite) is definitely four-star, and adored the bathroom. I would definitely stay here again... now if they could only move it to a better spot...

Good Pick

by TripAdvisor Member cliff_rock

This hotel is in a great location, close to MIT, plenty of dining options in Central Square area, and a 10-15 minute walk (or T ride) to Kendall Square area.

Standard Doubletree bedding. Nice Kohler fixtures in bathroom, w/ the exception of tub/shower which are old. Also note the tub drain was broken in my room.

Super Comfy Beds !

by TripAdvisor Member aspenannie

After reading some of the posts on this hotel, we originally booked elsewhere. But we did stay here for 3 nights and it was great. The rooms are smallish, the bathrooms especially. It's a great hotel for business travel - not a luxurious hotel for your dream vacation. The beds are terrifically comfortable; the wireless access great, everything was very clean and I liked the decor. We had a problem with a TV mysteriously popping on during the night - not good - and it was not resolved during our stay. Other than that, it was a very comfortable hotel room and we would definitely stay there again.

small gem

by TripAdvisor Member a trudy

I really enjoyed my stay at the DT hotel@mit. They are part of hilton/double tree family but not a cookie cutter hotel. Hotel has the feel of small independant property, but with the standard levels that a big chain provides. Example, No where did I see any adverising for the hilton/double tree in the hotel. The shampoo and art work was unique to this hotel, but the rooms were all standard size. I checked, no extra small or strange shaped rooms here. Interesting location, easy acess to many of Cambridge and Boston sights. close to MIT. Good value for your dollar.

Comments