Marriott Cambridge

2 Cambridge Center, (Broadway & 3rd Street), Cambridge, Massachusetts, 02142, United States

Boston Marriott Cambridge
Booking.com Orbitz.com Hotels.com

Costs 47% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• FreeCloud's Profile Photo

Conveniently located

When: last week of July, 2008
    Duration: 5 nights (starting on Sunday)
    Room type: King-bed
    Price: $239 + tax

It is very conveniently located hotel. Right at the Red Line Kindal Station. Across the Broadway, it is MIT campus. There are numerous good restaurants around (a food court is right at the foot of it), the hotel has a very good restaurant itself.

One important fact is that this is a smoke-free property. So you do not have to worry about smoke smell coming to your non-smoke room (on smoke-free floor or not) via ventilation system of other hotels.

Quick comparison between this one and Mariott Residence Inn at Six Cambridge Center (next block). My friend stayed there. The reason he chosed the Residence Inn vs. this one (he has stayed numerous hotels in the Cambridge area next to MIT through the years):
    Residence inn has a home feeling, free internet access at room, a kitchen, sitting area.

Unique Quality: Room I stayed: 2310
    It has a very comfortable king size bed with good beddings; a sofa and a desk with a movable part extending out to enlarge your working area when needed. The safe is large enough to put both my SMALL lapto and BIG camera plus other stuff in. The small refrigerator definitely is a convenient plus for your milk and fruit.

It is at a cornor (two sides of windows, facing the Charles River, great view). The entire building is a V-shape with many rooms facing the river, all with two sides of windows (i.e., at corners).

WARNING: This room is right behind the elevators, so was noisy (I only noticed the noise in the morning though).

The bathroom was nothing unusual. The sink right next to the entrance door and outside of the bathroom has a beautiful granite top but the counter top area is rather small. However, there is a space (about 1 square meter behind the bathroom door) was simply wasted. They could have used that area to increase the sink counter top area, albeit with added building cost. The towels were plush. The shampoo, conditioner, and body lotion has orangy fragrancel, soothing and relaxing (similar to Hermes Eau D'orange Verte), unlike many other hotels' too strong/unpleasant perform smell. Under the sink, it has a small bench. It has not sufficient towel racks.

The TV image quality was not great.

The drawback is that the internet is NOT free from room, $10/noon-to-noon 24 hours. You will have to take your laptop to the business center/3rd floor to get free access, which was not successful to me either for some reason. There are two computers for guests to use, one was broken at the time of my stay.

Directions: It is right in front of the MBTA Red line Kendall Square station.

More about Marriott Cambridge

NYC tube

by DPando

Just as a curiosity but its fined. so pay attention.. its not allowed to put your stuff on the seat next to you... nobody do that so its enforced...sounds stupid but this is how it works !!

FOR ELVIS FANS

by balhannah

The International Hotel which is now the Las Vegas Hilton, is where we found a statue of Elvis out the front.
In 1978, Vernon [Elvis's father,] dedicated this bronze statue of Elvis at the Hilton. Elvis made his come-back in 1969 at the Hilton, and on the 30th floor is the Imperial Suite which is now know as the "Elvis Presley" suite.
Evidently, this is where Elvis and Priscilla parted company.
Also, it is where Elvis on hearing a Robert Goulet song he didn't like, used his gun to shoot at the Television. The bullet went through the picture tube, poof!!! he didn't have to watch Robert Goulet anymore!!!

The Capitol Steps politcal revue

by LauraWest

Last night I saw The Capitol Steps again. Have you heard of this comedy troupe? They've been around for 25 years, believe it or not. (Of course, the cast revolves & evolves.) They were so hugely talented and funny! Their humor & lyrics are very current and singing was very strong. If you look on their web site, you will find their schedule. You could plan your trip in the USA to catch one of their shows! I highly recommend this idea. Yes, I believe that any person, who knows current events, would appreciate their completely irreverent slant. But if you are offended by humor that refers to bodily functions and SEX, you should stay away!

The web site includes many downloads of their songs. Today, there's a link to one of their most recent skits, on You tube. Its about Larry Craig (the Senator who was arrested for soliciting sex in a men's airport restroom stall). I saw it live, last night. It was hilarious!! Please, go watch it --- your day will improve with some good laughs. We all need to laugh more. Did you know it is good for your health to laugh??

Great Location

by TripAdvisor Member AMBLF

My family and I stayed at the Marriott Cambridge and I must say that we had a wonderful time. My children (11 and 5) especially loved the large indoor swimming pool.The room and lobby areas were very clean, the staff was helpful and courteous and the location can't be beat. The T stop is right outside the front door and can take you anywhere in Boston. There is a Starbucks in the lobby and an Au Bon Pain Bakery right across the street. (My daughter fell in love with the chocolate croissants!). As other reviewers have stated, the only negative thing I can say is that it was extremely hard to find the entrance to the hotel. We drove back and forth over the bridge 3 times until we figured out where we needed to enter. They need to put up more signs directing you to the hotel. It was almost impossible to see the Marriott sign from the street. Once we got settled in it was all uphill from there. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

Superb Stay!

by TripAdvisor Member BoSox0407

The Marriott Cambridge is an excellent hotel! I stayed there for a night this past weekend, just to be closer to Boston for the St. Patrick's Day activities.

I booked the hotel on [----](not realizing I could have gotten the same AAA rate from the Marriott site, direct). The booking went fine (discounted AAA rate is $50-70 less than the regular rates, which is excellent), but AAA does not ask to designate whether two doubles or a king bed are desired. A quick, friendly call to Marriott customer service fixed that. They said they couldn't guarantee the king bed at that point, but told me it was a sure-bet anyway. Actually, I ended up cancelling the above reservation the day-of (no fee assessed
if cancelled before 6pm), and rebooked it less than 2 hours later and still got the same rate.

Getting to the hotel is a breeze...right across the Longfellow Bridge from Sturrow Drive, and right near MIT (if ever lost in Cambridge, just look for the MIT signs).

Yes, the hotel is in Cambridge, but it is right next to the Kendall Square T stop (you don't even have to go outside to get the T station). A quick 2 minute ride back across the bridge, and you are in Boston. Or, if its nice, a walk across the bridge makes for some nice cityscapes.

Others have written that finding parking at the hotel was difficult, but I found it to be easy...considering its a 4 story parking garage right next to the hotel! Not too difficult to pinpoint. Parking rates went hourly, but didn't surpass $20 for the night, which isn't too bad...about average for the area. However, there are no in-out privilages unless you use valet service (which is an extra $5/night, plus tip of course). So, if you are planning to drive around a lot during your stay, I suggest going for the valet services to save money.

Check-in couldn't have been easier. Warm cookies at the front desk; friendly, helpful staff, and no lines. Less than 5 minutes between approaching the desk, and putting my bad down in the room.

The room was immaculate, inviting, and good sized. The floor-to-ceiling corner window is interesting and nice to look out of, but tended to leave the room a bit dark w/o the lights on. The room did have a sofa, which was an unexpected bonus, and an extra-large desk to work on. I did not have a computer, but was still able to go online in my room, as the hotel offers the internet for $10/day through the new flatscreen LCD TV's in the rooms. Not as quick or as easy to navigate as a computer would be, but still found it to be useful and intuitive.

The bathroom was great. Spacious tub/toilet room with the sink outside of the door. Granite counters and tile floors and walls in the bathroom added to the sophistication of the space. Plenty of towels available (5 bath towels, 3 hand towels, and 3 face towels), and the bathroom products were sufficient, if not typical. Plus, the entire area was spotless! The one complaint is the dim lights around the sink area, the one place where you'd like to see extra wattage.

The bed was extremely comfortable, and pillows were numerous. No complaints at all about the sleep that I got.

Ambient noise is slim-to-none. The walls seemed thick enough (even loud voices out in the hall seemed muffled in the room), and outside traffic was light.

I checked out early (had the room for two nights, only stayed for one). Again, was told as long as I checked out pre-6pm, I would only be charged for the one night. Helpful staff interaction yet again.

Finally, check-out was as quick and painless as check-in was.

I didn't get any food while at the hotel, but did look at the menus. The hotel has a restaurant, a bar & grill, and a Starbucks. The restaurant's prices were quite steep, and those only got worse on the room service menu ($6 + tip for cereal and a banana?? $14 + tip for eggs, juice, and a small cup of fruit cocktail!!??). I didn't go to Starbucks, but having one right in the lobby was a nice addition.

In closting, I had a wonderful stay, and I will definitely stay here again if the situation arises!

Very nice stay

by TripAdvisor Member leftwing

My son and I had a very relaxing stay at the Cambridge Marriott. We were given a room on the 23rd floor that had an outstanding view of the city, especially at night. The desk staff were very courteous and friendly. The man who checked us in greeted me by name and offered us cookies.

The pool as only so-so, kind of small. The pool room was really cold, so once you left the pool or hot tub it was freezing. The hot tub wasn't bubbling very much, but it was still nice to sit and relax in.

Our bedroom was extremely nice. The beds were fantastic, especially the comforters. I think the bedding was the best I've had at any hotel.

The room doors were very heavy and hard to hold open. I could hear muffled sounds from the people next door and some doors shutting in the hallway, but again, it was very muffled and didn't disturb my sleep.

I'd definitely stay at this hotel again. It's clean, well furnished, and has a warm atmosphere.

Always a great stay

by TripAdvisor Member gir7375

For the past three years, we have stayed at this hotel for our yearly trip to Boston. It is always a pleasant stay. Service is great, rooms are clean and beds are really comfortable. The best part is the convenience to Boston. Since the hotel is right at Kendall Square T Stop, you cannot beat the short , cheap ride to the city's central attractions and the room rate is a lot less than the other Marrriotts. Plus, views from the higher floors facing the river are great!

Great linens and beds!

by TripAdvisor Member Lakeshore18

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for the weekend while visiting our daughter at Boston University. On a previous visit to Boston, we stayed at the Best Western Terrace Inn and there certainly is no comparison. (See review of Best Western August 2006 for more info) The rooms here were beautifully done, very comfortable and very clean. All hotel personnel we met were courteous and helpful, especially the valets. The Boston newspaper was delivered to our door each morning and there is a Starbucks in the lobby if you want to grab a cup of coffee and a muffin before venturing out for the day. This hotel is convenient to many schools.... MIT, Harvard and BU to name a few. We booked through Priceline and paid only $89 per night for this 3 star hotel. The valet parking is $25 a day, but when you're paying $89 a night for the hotel, it is much more palatable. We would definitely stay here again and use the Priceline service. It was well worth it.

Alien Containment TubeAlien Containment Tube

laundry

by thom56

I am planing a very long traveling vacation.4 to 6 weeks.lodging and food wont be a problem.but what to do about laundry.do any franchise type motor lodges or motels offer laundry(coin op)?

by jumpingnorman

You won't have any problems looking for laundry places here...besides, regular clothing is sometimes so cheap here with all the sales now (economic recession)so I would not even bring too much clothes from home (just buy as you wear them). Enjoy the USA and thank you for visiting, Norman

by leics

I'm sure you'll have no problems finding laundry facilities.

But take a tube of 'travel wash' with you (available in the UK from larger chemists and camping shops, am sure similar things are available where you live if you'e not in the UK). It's liquid washing powder, and you only need a small amount.

That way you can wash out smaller/thinner articles of clothing in your room and dry them overnight.

by mikelisaanna

In some places in the US, dry cleaners or laundry places will also do "laundry by the pound", where you drop it off and they wash it and fold it for you. It's more expensive, but frees up time for sightseeing.

Comments