4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Expedia.com Hotels.com Orbitz.com

Costs 21% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

• mikey_e's Profile Photo

Comfort and Luxury

The Royal Sonesta is great hotel that caters to both families and business travelers alike (oddly enough, I am neither a family nor a business traveler, but I still enjoyed my stay). It is located across from the Cambridge Galleria, which means that you have easy access to stores, a Starbucks and a few brand restaurants, while you have to walk just a bit farther (like 2 minutes) to find a few excellent independent restaurants. It is also fairly close to the Green Line (Lechmere station), which is convenient for going into Downtown Boston, but about a mile hike from the Kendall stop on the red line, which is the most convenient stop to get to Harvard Square. The hotel features an art gallery, a swanky bar and restaurant (Dante’s, which is quite well respected in Boston), a fitness centre and a pool. There’s also a parking garage, and you can arrange for parking to be added onto your room bill (US$27 a night). The rooms are quite large, with king sized beds, flat screen tvs, radio, cd player, minibar, wifi and lan connections, shower and bath and safes.

Unique Quality: I tried to use the pool one night, but it was packed with kids, which might be the one bad thing about the hotel. Then again, if you’re traveling with children, it is undoubtedly nice to know that they will be welcome. Nevertheless, my favourite part of the entire stay was the room. The bed was massive and very comfortable, especially for watching tv (which was necessary after walking around Boston for 7 hours). The bathroom was great, with a modern shower and the best Italian toiletries I’ve ever used, including delicious smelling shampoo (mango and coconut) and plush Turkish towels. The only complaint I have is about the air conditioning system. The room was freezing and I had to turn up the temperature control to 78 degrees (I’ve no idea what that is in Celsius) to make it comfortable – and I like cold rooms! The result was horrible congestion the next morning. Still, overall it was a very, very pleasant stay.

Directions: At the eastern edge of Memorial Drive

More about Royal Sonesta Hotel Boston

Royal Sonesta Collection

by lonestar_philomath about Boston Hotel

Excellent room over looking the Charles. Plasma Televison, high-speed wireless and internet and complementary newspapers. Clean, modern, convenient to both sides of the river.

Somesta has hotels in Boston, Miami, New Orleans. St. Maarten, Brazil, Peru, Egypt, Orlando Views of the Charles River, Cambridge or Boston's stunning skyline
Hypo-allergenic European down Blanket
Mini-bar
Coffeemaker
Iron and Ironing Board
CD Clock Radio
Flat-screen plasma Television
In-room Movies
Video Games
Complimentary high-speed Internet access (WiFi and wired)
ISDN capabilities
2 dual-line Telephones
Voice Mail
Electronic Safe

Beautiful room with a View

by TripAdvisor Member Lucky69

My husband and I stayed for one night in the Royal Sonesta to attend a wedding. Our room was spacious, very clean and had a fabulous view. The king-sized bed was the most comfortable we had ever slept in compared to other hotel beds. The next morning we had a very nice breakfast and hated to leave. I would definitely recommend this beautiful hotel to anyone looking to stay in the Boston/Cambridge area.

Nice Location

by TripAdvisor Member mendonewbie

Just stayed 2 nights at the Royal Sonesta. While our room was nice and our view was great the other couple in our group had a room just above the pool air conditioners. Their room was noisy. Either you had to listen to the noisy air conditioner in the room or open the window and listen to the ones on the roof. We found our bathroom to be "tired". The wallpaper was peeling off the wall and caulking was very much in need of replacement. There was no place to plug in a toothbrush in the bath. I had to put it on the desk.

The hotel is right on the river for walking. There is a shopping mall across the street.

The hotel did offer a free double decker bus tour of Cambridge that would have been better if it hadn't been raining. But, we enjoyed it.

The continental breakfast that came with our room was only "free" if yours did not cost more than $11.00! Nobody told us that. The staff handling the breakfast was not very pleasant and did not explain how this worked. They made fancy coffees and held up the whole line while making them. This room was either understaffed or organized poorly. We only did this once. The next day we went to the restaurant and had the $11.00 applied to the cost of the breakfast. Much better experience!

We might try another hotel if staying in Cambridge again. But the location is good.

One Word --- Excellent!

by TripAdvisor Member CCCharland

We stayed here with Friends and went to Quincy Market to see Bobby Collins. We had a room on the 10th floor. Our View of Boston across the river was amazing!

Make sure if you book online that you print out your confirmation and bring with you. We had received a special offer and booked our hotel online. When we got to the hotel they tried to charge us more than our booked rate because there were 4 of us. We showed them our confirmation that stated 4 individuals in the room and our booked rate. They quickly corrected the situation and we were on our way to our room.

There was a mini bar in the room but no fridge, so plan accordingly. I am sure we could have called down and requested one but we worked around it.

The pool was in the other tower so we had a little bit of a walk to the pool and spa, but the art work in the lobby was wonderful, so it made it worth while. The guys did not bring slippers/sandles to wear to the pool so they had to get slippers from housekeeping (the hotel requires that all guest wear foot coverings and approriate apparel to and from the pool).

The hotel also has a shuttle that leaves from the museum down the block, and goes to quincy market. I think the last pick up from Quincy Market is 1:15 am.

The Gallaria across the street has lots to do and see and we enjoyed a few hours of shopping there also.

I would love to visit this hotel in the spring - We went in March during a snow storm - so we could walk along the river and enjoy the outdoor sites. I am sure we will return with our teenagers then, I think they will really enjoy it.

Our family loved this hotel!

What a great family hotel! Our family of four (me, my husband, 12-year-old daughter, 9-year-old son) unanimously thought it was excellent. The pool was a big hit: The temperature was perfect, my kids could touch the bottom in the shallow end, and it was big enough for my husband to swim a few laps. We loved the jacuzzi too.

Other features we liked: the fantastic contemporary art collection throughout the hotel, the friendly staff, the cheery (albeit small) guest rooms, the Nintendo Gamecube system in the room, the kid-friendly restaurant that's reasonably priced (yummy lobster rolls!), the ability to stroll along the Charles River.

The hotel is directly across the street from the CambridgeSide Galleria, which was very gratifying to my shopaholic daughter. She and I shopped there while my husband and son went to the nearby Museum of Science. The mall also has three restaurants to choose from: The Cheesecake Factory, California Pizza Kitchen and Papa Razzi. This was a nice option on the nights we were too tired from sightseeing to venture farther than across the street.

The only thing about this hotel that you should consider before booking is its location (in East Cambridge across the river), especially if you don't have a car. It is not really within walking distance of Boston, at least not a quick, easy walk. (The hotel does provide shuttle service to major points, though.) Frankly, we booked the hotel because of its location---close to everything but still its own oasis away from the hustle and craziness of Boston. Two thumbs up from our family!

Great Hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member stoweagle

We love the Sonesta - have stayed a couple of times. Fabulous location right next to the Science Museum, and easy to drive to. Many rooms have gorgeous views of the Charles River, which is right outside the hotel (great walking or jogging). The people are really nice there - great service! We will return the next time we're in the Boston area.

10 November Arrival

by lonestar_philomath

"Standing outside the front of the hotel"

My sister, Karen.

"Royal Sonesta Hotel, Boston"

including some modern art....

"Right wing of hotel"

"Left wing of hotel"

"Looking west"

"View on the east side"

"Charles River side of hotel"

"Just 100 yards to the east of the hotel"

Boston Museum of Science