297 Shore Road, Chatham, Massachusetts, 02633, United States

Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa
Travelocity Expedia.com Booking.com

Costs 56% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• Faded Opulence

The Hotel has recently been sold and is undergoing major renovation - unfortunately they didn't advise us of this and didn't make any concessions for the upheaval. The room was once upon a time lovely but now it is in bad need of a makeover, faded opulence springs to mind. Service was great with everyone being very friendly. Breakfast is overpriced if you have the cooked version which was lacking in variety. Evening meals were really lovely. They seemed very much into corporate events which meant displacing residents with no notice, the restaurant or lounge areas were not accessible 4 times in 7 days, again no recompense was offered. The view from the room was superb and I guess that is what you are paying for. It is expensive for what it is. I was there out of season so can't vouch for the pool but it looked pleasant enough. Talking to other guests we found they had similar views to us as we thought maybe we were just being hard to please.

• Faded Opulence

• Nice place if you can avoid the staff.

The Chatham Bars in survives only because it is able to brainwash clients into thinking it is a World Class Resort...which it is not. Granted it is a nice place to stay, but is not the 5 star resort it claims to be. See reasons below.

It's location is very nice with several rental units right on the water. (They are squeezing in more units as I write this)
    The range in accomodations is staggering. From old, decrepid, incredibly small rooms so dismal I wouldn't stay in even if they were free, to suites with wonderful views, new furniture, fireplaces and all the comforts of home. The key to enjoying your stay here is to avoid at all costs the garbage rooms (which are still $200 per night and up) and get into a golf course view suite, ocean view suite or better yet one of the cottages.

The staff is the weak point of this hotel. As I have only stayed here in the off season I have to assume that the quality staff go "off Cape" with the tourists at the end of the summer and the replacements are either poorly trained or have never seen how a a 5 star resort is run.

During our most recent visit in October 2004 the front desk manager was horrible. Arrogant, incompetent, and any thing but friendly. Even the "less senior" desk attendant apologized for the way we were being treated. Thankfully a hotel exec. was nearby and saw what was happening and rectified the situation.

During both of our stays the room attendants didn't observe the "Do not disturb" signs and entered our room for turn down service...which we did not want. Room service trays were left in the hallway all day (even after we called to have them taken away).
    Ground keeping staff didn't seem to care that there were guests staying at the hotel and went about their business (very noisy) no matter what time of day it was.

In summary... tear down the crappy old buildings behind the main lodge and then replace the staff with those from any Hilton, or Fairmont Hotel (or Super 8 for that matter! ) and you'll be on your way to attaining 5 star status.

Unique Quality: The food in the restaurant was very good.
    The spa and pool are very nice.
    The beach is clean and the sun rises beautiful.
    The hotel is within walking distance of the village center.

Directions: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g41499-d89650-Reviews-Chatham_Bars_Inn-Chatham_Cape_Cod_Massachusetts.html

• Expensive but Elegant

A large and fancy formal establishment, the nearly century old and world famous Chatham Bars Inn is the place to stay if your wallets are overflowing. It's located on the beach, has its own restaurant, offers rooms and cottages, has a tennis court and instructor and is near to town.

Unique Quality: Tennis Court
    Near Town

Directions: Off Main Street

More about Chatham Bars Inn

Enjoyed the Chatham Bars INn

We enjoyed using the Chatham Bars Inn . The rooms are charming and well appointed (although toiletries were not replaced after they were used and empty: a minor inconvenience). The service is otherwise superb. You can't beat the beauty of the location.

Service is an issue at Chatham Bars Inn

by TripAdvisor Member giavona

We planned on taking the perfect trip to CapeCod, and decided to pay the $1,500 per night fee to find the perfect resort. The Chatham Bars Inn has many. many features that are exceptional. They, however, have some big service issues that should not be.

We checked in on July 2nd 2007 and scheduled a 7 night stay in the premier ocean view master suite. The room was very nice and very spacious with one full bath and one half bath. A seperate king bedroom, a dinning area and nice sized living room. We also had a balcony that had a spectacular view of Pleasant Bay. The furniture on the balcony was pretty, but very uncomforitable.

The major issue we had was with thousekeeping. We checked in late in the day, about 5:30pm. We went out for dinner, and returned to our room. We had the room turned down, but there were only 3 pillows for five people. We called for pillows, and they ariived about an hour later. We were all pretty tired, and that seemed like a long wait. A side note, the pillows we had were VERY hard. Out of 7 pillows, one was somewhat soft.

The hotel offers a fantastic coffee machine in the room. It makes an intstant cup of coffee similar to espresso, but not as strong. We really liked this feature, the problem was after the first day the coffee was not replenished, or the creamers, or the sugar, and for that matter we had no clean cups. We called everyday for these supplies, but for the first 4 days we did not recevie them without asking. I find that hard to figure out. We also had to call for more towels for the first four days. We had five people in our room, and sometimes were only supplied with 2 sets of towels. We also did not receive shampoo or conditioner after the first day, had to call for more. Sometimes we received water at turn down sometimes we did not, and only 4 bottles, never 5, eventhough there were five of us. We even had to pay an extra fee for the role away cot for my daughter, but were still short one water!

We also reserved a pool cabana for 4 days of our stay. We liked the cabana, and found the cabana boys helpful and willing. The pool waitress was great. The cabana itself is great with two comforitable loungers inside and 2 different loungers outside, also very nice. Looks like all new pool furniture (smith and hawkins). The cabana is $150 per day. They supply you with ice and bottled water. They will bring you a phone, and there is electricity.

The trouble we had was we were asked to give up one of our days because a mistake was made in the booking of the cabana. We were told the other family had children and they really needed the cabana. We have 3 children, and felt we really needed the cabana. They offered to buy us lunch, but we declined and said we would keep the cabana. We found it odd that they would even call us and ask such a thing.

This hotel is beautiful, with many positve attributes. We will more than likely stay here again. I would like to see more consistancy in the service. It seems to be a management problem. The people are here, they just seem to need the right kind of guidance.

We attended the clambake one night . It was wondeful, and we highly recommend it.

We spent over $10,000 for one week. I think that if the Chatham Bars Inn is charging these kinds of rates, guests should not have to work as hard as we did for services that should have been present.

Don't trust anyone at Chatham Bars Inn!!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member mortgagemaninBoston

I stayed at CBI for a wedding in Dec 2006. What a nightmare! The management at this hotel are scum! The Hotel policy prior to booking was to pay for your stay upon reservation. They did this because the wedding party was required to book the entire main inn in order to have a wedding there, because of the band etc. Well, I booked and paid in April of 2006 (as the policy stated) and checked into the hotel the day before the wedding. The rooms in the Main inn are horrible, but that's another posting all together...
Upon checkout I was presented a bill for my incidentals PLUS the room rate! I questioned this with the girl at the front desk and she told me "you are correct sir, it has already been paid". They removed the room charge and I checked out. I came to find out later, that not twenty minutes after I left they hit my card again for the room charge! I called the hotel manager when I became aware of this and he was absolutely the rudest person that I have ever spoke with! (Customer service is not a plus here!). He offered no insight and stood by the charge! Miffed, I disputed the charge with my credit card company and during the investigation CBI lied to the investigators (IN WRITING!) saying that: "I paid for my incidentals THE DAY BEFORE CHECKOUT " and I proceeded to leave the next day without addressing the room charge! They never even acknowledged their policy of the pre-paid rooms! This of course, was a LIE as the credit card company could clearly see when my card was run for the incidental charge (which of course was 1:00PM on my checkout day). Is CBI that hard up for an extra $450.00???? It would certainly seem that way. Anyway.... the moral of the story is: DON'T STAY HERE!!!!!!!!!~

Historic Chatham Inn

by dramaced about Wayside Inn

The Wayside Inn in the perfect combination of classic white clapboard New England inn--it is on an original Stagecoach route--and upgraded, boutique-style inn with fireplaces and jacuzzis or private patios featured in many rooms. Their pool is nice sized with a patio for those days when the Atlantic's a little too "bracing". Located at the center of the charming main street and next door to a park that features Friday night band concerts in summer, it's close to plenty of shopping and walking distance to the beach and the light house. The food at the inn is first-rate in a pleasant, bright dining room with unique murals and a winter fireplace. This is our family's go-to for special occasion and holiday meals and we refer out-of-town visitors for super accomodations. The owner of the inn lives in town and takes an active interest in the operation--a pleasant alternative to chains. It costs more but it is worth it--beautiful, handicap accessible, and well staffed. One Warning: lots of weddings here; be sure to ask when booking & if you don't want reception noise do not book the main inn--ask for the annex instead--much quieter! If you golf, the 9-hole municipal course which abuts the famous Chatham Bars Inn is not to be missed.

The Chatham fishing fleet is one of the few left on the Cape--watch the catch come in afternoons.

Don't miss visiting Morris Island, a half hour walk but TOTALLY worth the hike for great walking beaches and fantastic birding. For a unforgettable on-the-water water adventure, take the Seal Watch from Outermost Harbor Tours (right in Chatham) or drive to Provincetown (90 minutes in summer) for a whale watch and amazing National Seashore Beaches.

The Chatham Methodist Church has an excellent concert series, and the Harwich Junior Theatre (next town over) is great for kids of all ages.

For local color check the Chatham Squire across the street-great eats and a funky bar.

The Christmas Stroll is a wonderful way to kickstart your Christmas spirit--usually in the first weekend of December. Great packages--get a fireplace room and relaaaax.

The Room, The Tavern, The Spa, 5 stars all the way!

by TripAdvisor Member capecodbeaches

I had the best time of my life at Chatham Bars Inn, I took my boyfriend there for Christmas! I checked into the beautiful Spa suite room 613, when i walked in i saw the jacuzzi bath tub, the steam shower, my very own sauna, king size tempupedic mattress!!

Then we went to the Spa, we had a couples swedish massage, they gave us a tour of the spa, on the women side they showed me the lockers, then provided me with a robe, and slippers which were inside of the locker, in the womens side, they have steam showers, so you can get comfy clean before your treatment, then you enter in this room, a relaxing room, where i met back up with my boyfriend, with comfy couches, and listen to any type of music you want to, or the spa has relaxing music, which i perferred. Then it was time for our massage, it was to die for.

After the Spa, we went to the Tavern, I had the pan seared chicken with marsala wine sauce, with mash potatoes and asparagus! my boyfriend had the grilled salmon ceaser salad, then for desert, Chef Lisa the desert chef, who i got to meet, made us an award winning smore's desert, (i cant remember the name)

The next morning we had an Ocean Front Breakfast, i advise everyone to try the raspberries!

The front desk management was wonderful and explain my bill when i had questions. Then i called the reservations and wanted to book the same room for my next stay, they were wonderful, my room wasnt available but they gave me all types of ideas and options!

I highly recommend staying that the Chatham Bars Inn!!

Service is Terrible, Prices are Outrageous

by TripAdvisor Member savvy-gourmet

The brochure and website was so misleading to the service and luxury we expected at Chatham Bars Inn. There appears to be a high guest/staff ratio but we found that response time to any request was either slow or non-existent. Even a complaint registered to the hotel manager seemed to be a "get in line" attitude.

For a hotel that boasts service from a by-gone era, I'm now wondering what "era" they were thinking about! The service is horrible here and the noise from crying and screaming children is enough for you to head to the beach just to get away from the chaos and frustration. Thinking about the kids camps? Well, think again, the staffers are outnumbers and the children are running around like banshees everywhere on the beach and near the restaurant and beach bar. We saw a broken arm while we were there and an ambulance needed to be called. This place is unorganized, poorly managed, and extremely over-priced. Its continued sucess despite this must be to milking its pedigree and legacy to those who don't know better. There are better places in Chatham for a fraction of what this place will cost you.

The terrace of Chatham Bars InnThe terrace of Chatham Bars Inn

The terrace of Chatham Bars InnThe terrace of Chatham Bars Inn

Place to stay in Chatham

by ctillbrook

Hello. Thanks for all the help so far and I hope I am not pestering this particular forum..

I am looking fo any suggestions of where to stay in Chatham. I looked at a few places but Chatham Bars Inn and Wequassett are fully booked and I am wondering is Captain's House Inn is worth spending the money on.....

Any other places that anyone would suggest. We like the 'modern beach look' rather than the 'Chintzy' places.

Thanks again.