31 Dunes Rd, Edgartown, Massachusetts, 02539, United States

More about Winnetu Resort-Marthas Vineyard

Loved the Winnetu

by TripAdvisor Member Vineyardfan

My family and I recently spent a few days at The Winnetu Resort on Martha's Vineyard. The grounds were beautiful and the service was impeccable. Our room was perfect for a family of our size (4) - two bedrooms, two full baths, a kitchenette and a deck off the master bedroom with a lovely view. There were plenty of activities for the kids, and dinner at Lure was absolutely delightful!! The staff is great....they had great recommendations when we wanted to do something out of the resort, and were very friendly with the children which you don't always get with hotel staff. The Winnetu is just minutes away from beautiful South Beach via foot. What more could you ask for???

Winnetu/Mattakesett Exceeded Expectations

by TripAdvisor Member caco64

Imagine my disappointment when, on our way out the door to stay for a week at Mattakesett (in a townhome that is part of the Winnetu resort), I read some of the preceding reviews. If I could have canceled then and there, I might have. Needless to say I went into the trip expecting the absolute worst, and ended up experiencing the exact opposite.

First, as we checked in, our grocery order was being delivered. We are a food allergy family and so I expected to need to use the well-stocked kitchen a lot, but didn't expect I would get to go a week without going to a food store -- that was a treat. Anyway, the kids (aged 2 to 11) checked out the place, which was in great shape, and my husband and I were very pleased to see a spotless, modern master bedroom with bay and ocean views. The kids, meanwhile, were already outside on the vast lawn the townhome shared with 7 other units, flying massive kites. We then explored the grounds of the Winnetu. The kids were thrilled by the life-sized chess set and the foosball table; we then made our way to the pond where some counselors from the children's program were helping anyone interested to catch turtles and race little motor boats. By this time, it was dinner time, and although I expected to cook, didn't feel like it on the first night. Instead, off we went to Lure, the restaurant on the premises. As promised, the kids had food to their liking, and activities to keep them busy while my husband and I enjoyed a fabulous meal the caliber of which one would expect at a metropolitan eatery with excellent reviews (each night thereafter, it was a struggle to cook knowing what was available 100 yards down the road; we did make it back once more before we left).

A few people on this site complained about the service. That was probably the most surprising to me of all -- everyone was exceedlingly helpful and friendly. When we wanted to go to Lure at a non-designated seating time, it was "no problem" for Paola. When we needed to change a reservation at a local restaurant and also get bicycles delivered, it was "no problem" for Josh the concierge. When we needed to check repeatedly for food ingredients for our allergic child at the restaurants, it was again not a problem for any of the kitchen or wait staff.

However, of all the staff that we wanted to be responsive to our requests, it was the kids' program staffers -- mostly college kids -- about whom we were most concerned. We have been to Club Med Sandpiper and many other destinations with kids' programs, and I have never had as positive an experience as I had with the Mattakesett program. The counselors were so wonderful that my kids all asked to go to the "camp" even when we had planned to do something else for the morning. Once we were on the beach when my two youngest spotted us (they had walked down to the beach with their group to play parachute games and to make sand castles). We thought for sure we were sunk -- that they would want to leave the program having seen us, but no, they beckoned us over to see what they had made and then grabbed the counselors' hands, marching back to the program HQ. It was a very responsible group of young people working at the program. While I was picking up one day, I saw a little girl get stung by a bee. The counselor was very caring and consoling, but at the same time, ascertained from the paperwork that the child was not allergic to bee stings. I have seen grade school teachers take fewer precautions.

All this and I have not said a word about the location or the Vineyard itself. The resort is located a stone's throw from one of the best beaches this country has to offer. The sand is soft, the dunes are picturesque and the water is delightful, albeit a little rough for the littlest swimmers. What a pleasure it was to leave our stuff there while we walked back to our townhouse for lunch and indoor time, only to return to the shore for the beauty of the late afternoon on the beach.

Other highlights: riding our bikes into Edgartown for ice cream (more than once, I admit); playing tennis at the Mattakesett courts and having the kids play in the complimentary program a few mornings; riding the Flying Horses in Oak Bluffs; visiting Aquinnah; swimming in the two pools on the property; meeting other guests at the Clam Bake; getting in to Edgartown for a breakfast at The Dock with only my husband (thank you, kids' program!!); a sunset ride on the resort's water taxi into Edgartown one evening, with a return on one of Martha's Vineyard's new public buses ($6 for nine of us); a required visit to Murdick's for fudge and Bunch of Grapes for beach reads; a driveby of John Belushi's gravesite (not interesting to the younger members of our party) and a visit to a Black Dog clothing outlet (more interesting to them).

This was our first trip to the Winnetu/Mattakesett and we will always remember it, as it is sure to become just one in a long line of trips there (we already put a deposit down for next year). We would recommend it to all of our friends (even the pickiest).

The Winnetu is truly Paradise on Martha's Vineyard!

by TripAdvisor Member VACATIONLADY2

WOW! We just returned from a vacation at the Winnetu and I can't say enough great things about this place. We loved everything about it! It's like renting a house at the beach, but with a houskeeping staff, a great restaurant, and a pool!! The location and proximity to the beach is perfect, (reviewers who complain about the lopsided footbridge to the beach should whine less and enjoy the beach more!). This place is so close to town, and yet far enough away from the hustle and bustle of Edgartown traffic and tourists. The adirondack chairs with comfy throw pillows on the lawn provided a perfect, beautiful retreat for reading, yoga, relaxing. And the fact that they have free tennis, two pools, a spa, a gym, ping pong, bikes, etc.. means that there is something for everyone to do. My 71 year old mother was happier by the pool, while we walked to the beach. We enjoyed the massage service in the spa, and played tennis every day. The restaurant and pool side lunch service, and the general store provided a great supplement to whatever groceries we bought - and we were able to pack lunch to go the beach if we chose to do so. We loved having dinner at Lure, we chose to eat from the pub menu, which suited us just fine! It's really the best of all worlds. We spent days there without ever leaving the property, except to walk to the beach, and we loved it! This place is the epitome of Martha's Vineyard - casual, comfortable and easy to love! The rooms are clean and perfect size for hanging out and playing cards on a rainy day, they are bigger than standard rooms because of the living room, and that provides great extra space. We even had a couple of cocktail parties while we there and invited friends over. They were very jealous! The felt the Winnetu was so warm and inviting, and so much better than the more typical hotel where out friends were staying. And, finally, we really thought the staff was fantastic! For a seasonal resort, this is the perfect mix of a friendly and helpful, but not in your face staff. The attention to detail was great. My husband kept saying..."they've really thought of everything". And, they did. I can't wait to go back!

Service - so so

by TripAdvisor Member BRIGFAMILY

This was our second summer trip to the Winnetu Inn. We enjoyed our stay....our room was very clean and the grounds are fantastic. The restaurant is okay. Although the food is prepared elegantly, the taste doesn't quite measure up to the beauty of the landscaped plates. (We ate at Chesca's in Edgartown and had a phenomenal dinner there.)

Breakfast is oddly non-existent at the Winnetu. Maybe this is because rooms come equipped with kitchens, and the demand for breakfast is just not there? The staff seems unsure of menu items and how to prepare simple things....such as an egg sandwich....or a mudslide once asked for at the bar. The coffee, unbelievably, is not complimentary. It is set up on a table in carafes, and you are expected to self-serve and then pay. This could be seen as a bit insulting, considering the amount of money one spends to stay here.

There is a bar, but cannot serve drinks on the deck due to a 'noise ordinance' law. There is a small bar also set up by the pool, but does not serve alcohol.

The Inn itself is very nice, and the staff is very pleasant. The beds are wonderfully comfortable, and the maid service is impeccable.

Extremely disappointed...would never go back!

by TripAdvisor Member kristen2479

My husband and I , along with our 16 month old daughter have just returned from a 6 day trip to Martha's Vineyard, which was absolutely beautiful. Our stay at the Winnetu, however, was terrible. The room was $530 a night, and for that kind of money, you expect to be pampered and have certain amenities offered to you (such as a bellman to carry your bags, room service, breakfast!!). I am really not sure what the Winnetu is trying to do....it didn't even feel like we were staying in a hotel,it was if we had rented an apartment for the week. I agree with the other reviewers about the staff, they weren't a bit knowledgeable, and no one really went out of their way to help you with anything!! And we definitely expected complimentary coffee in the morning. You had to buy a cup, then go and get your own coffee...ridiculous! The photos on the website are definitely altered, the beach was much farther than it was shown in the photos, and we had to walk across a lopsided wooden bridge and then cross a major road to get to the beach. Nothing as is pictured! We feel as if we were ripped off. Anyone returning should check out the Harbor View Hotel, that is where we will be staying when we return.

what a disaster....

by TripAdvisor Member graciesma

We decided to overlook the poor reviews and stay at the Winnetu. Service and ammenities were really sad. The staff is abominable. There was never a consensus on questions we asked about the property. The website raves about all the activities, and yet there was always something askew. The pool was being cleaned, there were no fresh towels, breakfast would be ready 'soon'. The restaurant had very flexible hours, we were never sure how late they were open. We felt like we were dropped 'just outside of town' with no options. We found some wonderful places in town and Oak Bluffs, but spent little time at the 'resort'.

Enjoyable Family Weekend Getaway

by TripAdvisor Member KimCT

We had a wonderful Spring weekend getaway at The Winnetu. We had a suite with 1 1/2 baths (which I requested) on the third floor. We had a beautiful ocean view from our Balcony. The grounds are lovely. The room was very pretty and quite clean. It had a pullout sofa and a pullout loveseat which worked great for separating my two kids. We were separated from the kids by a kitchenette. I'd probably upgrade to a larger room for a longer stay. My only complaint was a strange odor coming from the kitchenette area. I still can't figure out what it might have been as the kitchen was spotless. It certainly didn't ruin our stay. The restaurant was wonderful - food excellent. The service was a little slow at breakfast however the Manager did a terrific job of entertaining my two children. We understand it was off-season and probably not fully staffed. The staff did however go out of their way to make us feel very welcome. The beach is a slight walk and you do have to cross a road but it wasn't a problem for us.This is a charming New England Resort and not to be confused with a flashy Florida resort. We enjoyed our stay and look forward to returning.

Just keeps getting better!

by TripAdvisor Member Vineyardbound

We just got home to Hingham after another WONDERFUL 2 week vacation at the Winnetu Inn & Resort/Mattakesett!!! We keep waiting for the weather to be terrible one year, or the kids to be bored, but it never happens - it just gets better and better each year. This year our daughter, age 14, was very active in the new teen club and had a blast. She did a few bike trips to Edgartown, the jump-off bridge, mini-golf, kayaking, and a great sailing trip aboard "Mad Max" with her friends. She went to 2 pizza parties and was thrilled to be able to be a little more independent this year. We had an unbelievable meal at Lure the night before we left and can't wait to go back next year. The General Managers Michelle and Ed do an unbelievable job and the facilities get better and better each year. We love the new gym and worked out everyday to keep from coming home twice the size we left at! Our children voted Oliver "Best counselor" and the person they would miss the most!

Pleasant but overrated and overpriced.

by TripAdvisor Member LSBurdett

We stayed at the Winnetu just after the July 4th holiday and although the place is nice we didn't find it worth the money. The building itself is only about six years old and lacks the charm of older, grander seaside resorts. It is constructed in such a way that allows you to hear everything in adjoining rooms: people walking above, water flowing through pipes, the toddler in the next room practising his newly aquired vocal skills. Fortunately the clientele here seem to be pretty much like-minded in that they go to bed at night and aren't the late-night partying type.
Kids are the name of the game here and I'd say if you stayed here without any you might feel overrun. The resort does a good job of catering to their needs: extensive kids program (which is free in the morning hours), chests of beach toys, and a cadre of fresh-faced youths to watch over them.
I'd agree with the other reviewers that the food here is wonderful. I'd especially recommend having breakfast on their upper deck outside, a nice meal at the Lure restaurant, and taking advantage of the to-go items from the general store. All of these fit the bill and didn't seem ridiculously expensive. I don't recommend the clambake, which is held on Wednesday evenings. It basically involves standing in line to get mediocre food on paper plates. Even the clams were poorly done and basically came out as empty shells.
We paid $550/night for a room that wasn't much more than a standard motel room with a small kitchenette. For that price we expected much more of the room and the resort. However the people there were so freindly and the location on the island so beautiful and tranquil that we didn't leave with a feeling of being totally cheated.

Abominable Service, Nothing for Your Money

by TripAdvisor Member qwes

While the property is beautiful and our room was clean, the service was nonexistent, which is deplorable given the outrageous prices they charge. First, while they advertise a free "VIP" shuttle service from the New Bedford fast ferry, their "preferred" method of travel to the resort, we were told they could not transfer us since we booked the tickets directly from the New Bedford ferry and not from the hotel at the time of the reservation. The reservationist never mentioned that we must make the reservation with them when we booked our stay. We also learned the shuttle driver does not arrive until 10:00 so taking the 7:45 a.m. ferry departure is out of the question. They told us it's only a $20.00 cab ride from the ferry - try $40.00.

We had to rent cribs from an outside agency since there were no full sized cribs available, only pack and plays. We were given a website address and told to order our cribs there. Given the room price, you think they could sport you a crib or make the reservation for you. There are no bellboys to help you with your bags. Forget about asking anyone to make you a dinner reservation or call you a cab. My husband was handed the number of a cab service and told to make his call.

There's a reason why the Lure restaurant doesn't advertise their prices on the website. The salmon for $34.00 comes with a small side of rice pilaf. A cup of tea at the bar was $6.00. My 2 year old's hotdog for lunch cost $9.00 and didn't even come with a piece of fruit or a drink. The lunch salads are small and scant with chicken for a whopping $23.00. Want pancakes? Forget about it. There is only a self-serve breakfast bar in the morning. A plate of eggs costs $10.00. (oddly enough a bagel sandwich was $5.25).

Don't be fooled by the glamour of the firetruck rides. It operated once in our 3 day stay from 3-4 p.m. The truck was supposed to arrive at 3:00 and pulled up at 3:25. Speaking of late, the pool is supposed to be open from 8 am to 8 p.m. We arrived at 9:20 a.m. only to be told that we couldn't come in bc they were still cleaning it.

In general, staff members were apathetic and unhelpful. We encountered one very nice and pleasant staff member named Devon. Otherwise, we were bitterly disappointed in the resort and would never recommend it to anyone. We were so disappointed that we left a day early, even though we were fully paid.

Elegant Victorian Inn, EdgartownElegant Victorian Inn, Edgartown