7 Hubbard St., Lenox, Massachusetts, 01240, United States
Official Site Booking.com Expedia.com

More about Birchwood Inn

Connections

From the moment you turn into the driveway and circle to the back entry, the sense of history and charm takes hold. The terraced landscape in late spring bloom, the beauty and quality of the architecture leave a hint of what you see inside.

In addition to being beautifully and painstakingly appointed, there are all the comforts one could hope for. There are plenty of books, music, games and puzzles- rocking chairs and fireplaces to connect you with the rich history of the past and the comforts of today.

We stayed in the beautifully appointed Dana Room. It's lovely salmon pinks and greens soothed us in the comfortable canopy bed and down comforter. The room was complete with TV and VCR but my favorite accessories were the bedside journal that held histories of so many poingnant moments for those who stayed before along with a history of Ms Dana and the adventure she took so many years before. These added to the sense of becoming a part of The Birchwood.

These elements combined with a charming hostess who is aided by a "golden" friend added to the quality of our visit. The warmth of the inn and the excellence of the morning repast will make us repeat guests. I knew my husband was a man of taste and he proved it again.

Perfect....

by TripAdvisor Member eveyc

"Perfect” was the consensus in the dining room of the Birchwood Inn among the guests at breakfast on two recent consecutive mornings. I had planned a midweek escape for some R&R looking forward to a return visit to Ellen Gutman Chenaux’s warm and beautiful inn. Voted ‘best breakfast in New England’, I anticipated special cuisine—as always, both breakfast and afternoon ‘tea’ exceeded expectations…. crepes with mango sauce and raspberries, eggs in a fluted parmesan crust, date nut and lemon breads, poached pears in a pomegranate glaze, or melt-in-your-mouth chocolate chip cookies straight from the oven (with leftovers for late night snacking) are a few of the delicacies emerging from the active kitchen. Guest rooms are decorated in beautiful though cozy design with unique character, comfy pillows, fireplaces, and well stocked and modern bathrooms….the broad porch, huge sun-filled library, den and dining room, and luscious gardens all beckon. Close to Tanglewood and other Lenox attractions, this inn is my top choice for a Berkshires visit….repeat guests are the norm so early reservations are a great idea!

Wonderful stay

I have just returned from a fantastic 3 night stay at the Birchwood Inn. I have stayed in the past at other Bed and Breakfasts in Lenox and that just do not compare to the quality of this one. First of all, the breakfasts and afternoon tea is amazing. Totally gourmet - beyond compare!!!!! When I asked the owner, Ellen, if she would be making a certain breakfast that was written up in a newspaper article, she specially made it for my companion and me. When I tasted her chocolate chip cookies (they were the best I ever had) and asked her if I could purchase some and send them to my parents in Florida, she said she would be happy to do this for me.
The rooms were wonderful. The beds were comfortable. The accommodations were fantastic. I can't wait to return!!!!!

absolutely loved the inn =]

I have just returned from staying two nights at the Birchwood Inn in Lenox. I must say that my stay was extremely pleasant, the room was clean, well decorated, spacious and cozy. The service was wonderful, the grounds were charming and the breakfast delicious. Overall I had an extremely delightful stay. Something that I liked most about this Inn was that it was so dog friendly. You rarely find an Inn where there are all dog lovers and your pets can roam around the Inn without restrictions. Something else I loved about the Inn was the friendly service. The Innkeeper Ellen was extremely accomodating and personable. She was willing to do whatever it took to make our stay as pleasant as possible. She has a golden retriever named Quinn who is so cute and sweet and I had so much fun playing with him and the other dog Piper also very friendly and cute. While my parents were eating the delicious breakfast and I had already finished i spent some time playing with Quinn and Piper and really got to know those dogs. I think they made my stay especially special. The Birchwood Inn really is a wonderful place to stay and if you are looking for somewhere to stay in Lenox I would highly reccomend the Birchwood Inn.

PS. If you are reading this Ellen please tell Quinn and Piper that Emma says Hi and that she misses them.

Lovely B&B in a wonderful location

by TripAdvisor Member totheworld

We spent 3 wonderful nights in an extremely comfortable bed, ate 3 delicious breakfasts (highly recommend the blueberry cheese blintzes), and enjoyed top-notch service that managed to be friendly without being over-the-top. It is clear that Ellen truly takes pride in her Inn and it shows in all the small details. Kudos, also, to the assistant Innkeeper Becca, who was so helpful and polite with every question even when she was busy with other tasks.

Tanglewood is within walking distance of the Inn if you like walking and are in reasonable shape (it is a hilly walk). It took us 40-45 minutes to get there and to return--though we did "beat" the cars back.

The Inn is also across the street from Kennedy Park--great for hiking, 15 minutes from a beautiful hike in a Wildlife Preserve, and 25 minutes from canoeing if you choose to do outdoor activities along with your music, as we did.

Looking forward to returning!

Lovely Honeymoon

by TripAdvisor Member ninanyc

I have been visiting the Berkshires every autumn for almost 20 years, and the Birchwood Inn is hands down one of the warmest and most enjoyable places I have ever stayed. My husband and I spent our honeymoon week at the inn, along with our small dog. Breakfast is a full multi-course adventure - the most delicious I've had in New England. The hot cider and tea (along with home-baked goodies) every afternoon in the library after a long day is a lovely touch.

The innkeeper, Ellen Gutman Chenaux is beyond accommodating. She graciously offered to help watch over our puppy while my husband and I had our honeymoon dinner at the Blantyre and gave special attention to my dietary restrictions while still keeping the menu delicious. The Deluxe Picnic was also a treat - artisanal cheeses, chocolates, and dinner for the food lover - highly recommended.

Simply not the best

by TripAdvisor Member twoworlds

The inn itself is beautiful, and the afternoon tea and provisions are above average. However, there is no feeling of welcome whatsoever - from the reservationist, who delivers the entire "booking confirmation" speech without intonation or pause, on to arrival, and checkout, everything is quite rote and can even at times be brusque. Moreover, we had a problem with our stay, and emailed the innkeeper subsequently, and have never received even so much as an ackowledgement. The room we stayed in smelled strongly of mold. At this price, guests expect the beautiful surroundings, *and* some friendliness *and* some attention to problems. We travel all over the country and based on this experience, would advise people to stay elsewhere. Look in the neighboring towns.

An absolutely lovely place to stay

by TripAdvisor Member lgplaster

My wife and I headed to Lenox for our first wedding anniversary and we were a little nervous about finding the right bed & breakfast. From the moment we drove up to the Birchwood Inn, with its long, lazy porch and big, old trees, our stay took on a magical quality. The hostess beckoned us in to the warm house as though we were family, showing us our cozy room, and inviting us to have tea and cake as soon as we'd gotten settled. My wife and I looked at eachother and laughed, amazed at our good luck in stumbling upon this haven. We felt instantly at home. The Inn was within an easy, beautiful walk of downtown Lenox, which we enjoyed in the evening, and in the morning, we were treated to one of the best breakfasts I've ever had*. My wife and I sat in the ancient dining room in front of a fire, eating fresh fruit and homemade blueberry pancakes, just soaking it all in. All in all, a wonderful stay. I can't wait to go back.

*(We enjoyed breakfast so much we bought the Inn's signature breakfast cookbook on our way out the door).

If there's an Inn in Heaven, this is it

by TripAdvisor Member BerkshireHomeowner

After having a second home in the Berkshires for 16 years, we sold it last summer and are building a new home. In the interim, we've been staying in various properties in the area. This is the best by far. The staff, from Ellen to Rebecca and everyone else, was warm, welcoming and truly concerned about our comfort. Our greeting was charming and we were shown around the entire property and made to feel at home immediately. The Inn is immaculate. The breakfast elevates the level of "Inn food" to another universe, untouched by any place we have stayed. Go to the Inn's website and look at the menu. It looks fantastic and still doesn't do the quality of the food justice. The public rooms are all gorgeous and very comfortable and it was terrific to sit in the large living room in the late afternoon, enjoying the fire, warm mulled cider and freshly baked cookies or gingerbread cake, while chatting with other guests. Our room was large, quiet, beautifully furnished and deluxe in every sense. You will not do better for 2 or 3 times the price at Wheatleigh or Blantyre. It is hard to understand the negative review posted below and I would urge any reader to take a look at the overwhelming number of five star reviews which other visitors have posted and reach the inescapable conclusion that this is, by popular acclaim, one of the best places you'll find to stay in the beautiful Berkshires. Until our new home is finished, this will be our "home away from home" and our number one recommendation for our friends when they come to visit (and are not staying with us).

Perfection for families, lovers, and friends

by TripAdvisor Member kayalu

i am writing this note to tell of my recent experience at the birchwood inn in lenox, massachusetts. as a special gift 2 friends who joined my family and i, we went to the inn. aside from the amazing history of this beautiful abode, ( charming, warm and cozy, inviting one in to sit in front of the blazing fire immediately upon entering, the innkeeper, ellen made us feel as though we were family . Her extraordinary warmth and personal touch, (divine), as well as her breakfasts, (to die for...one is unable to utter the word 'no'), have us figuring when we can all return, plus bring more friends and family. oh,our friends brought their sons, ages 11 and 13 and
they enjoyed themselves enormously, especially when we took some rather challenging hikes....and then the breakfasts, of course.
please remember to recommend the Birchwood Inn, in Lenox, Massachusetts, to anyone who might want an exceptional weekend, week, month, year, decade, lifetime....especially to family, lovers, friends.

Comments