Centerboard Inn

8 Chester Street, PO Box 456, Nantucket, Massachusetts, 02554, United States

More about Centerboard Guest House

Go to South Carolina's...

by Kellygrl514

Go to South Carolina's Litchfeild BEach. It is absolutely beautiful. You cant get much nicer. My parents and I return there every year before dropping me off at college. Its such a nice quiet place with beautiful houses and beaches. Its wonderful.

Wanted to move in...

by TripAdvisor Member tennisgirlfriend

What a shame that I had to return to my "real" house! My stay at the Centerboard felt like "home". Althought I wanted to explore the beautiful island, it was difficult to leave my room and the Inn. Accomadations were state of the art...yet it maintains that Nantucket atmosphere throughout. Just beautiful. Location was excellent...within close walking distance of town, w/o the town noise during the day. Used to stay in Sconset...not anymore! Thank you, Centerboard!

Great room, great service, good price

by TripAdvisor Member Jethro-and-Cindy

Lovely guest house to stay in town. We stayed in the suite, which was very comfortable and spacious, with a fantastic jacuzzi tub. The hostess is quite friendly and accomodating, but non-intrusive (I've stayed in B&B's before where the hosts were intrusive or loony - certainly not the case here).

Walking distance to all restaurants/attractions/ferry.

Tasty continental breakfast, centered around fresh-baked breads (blueberry bread), some fruit, and cereal.

Price is [for Nantucket] reasonable and commensurate with the accomodations.

loved the quaint guesthouse

by TripAdvisor Member tra1ncrazy

We were warmly welcomed by our host, offered tea/coffee. given info about Nantucket, resturants, tours, places to see. Breakfasts were delicious and varied and warmly and graciuosly served by our host.

A great fall getaway!

by TripAdvisor Member stritz33

I have stayed at the Centerboard a number of times with my husband, but this time my traveling companion was my 2 yr. old grandson. We stayed in the Houseboat room (more childproof) and it was perfect. We had a small kitchen as well as a dining area. I know how warm and cozy the Centerboards rooms are, but I honestly did not expect the Boathouse to be as comfortable. I was definitely pleasantly surprised! This Inn is so convenient. With a stroller we walked everywhere. The nearby Children's Beach became an instant favorite of my grandson's and gave his Grandma a chance to rest! One morning we encountered a light shower while on our walk and the innkeeper took our jackets and dried them for us upon our return. That's just an example of the personalized attention we recieved. This vacation was more relaxing than I ever thought possible. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone.

Soothing but noisy

by TripAdvisor Member BigHock

Spent two weekend nights here in the middle of June in room 4. Per my fiancée the room was wonderful. She found it very soothing and relaxing. The room was a good size and was tastefully furnished with the odd exception of some leopard print pillows on the sofa. The room was on the upper floor and got great light and air through the wooden shutters. When it was quiet out, more on that later, it really was relaxing to be in the room and breathing the clean (i.e. non New York City) air. The bathroom was also fairly large and clean though inconveniently, in this room at least, there was a (frosted) window that allowed someone sitting on the bed to see what the other person in the bathroom was doing.

The proprietor of the hotel was very friendly and loaned us a towel to take to the beach one day as well as taking time to give us the full tour of the premises when we arrived. Breakfast was fairly simple, more continental than a full spread that one might except at a B&B. The Inn is a short walk (no more than 5 minutes) from town and thus very convenient to all the local restaurants and bars. We paid $225/night for the room which, based on the research I did before booking, seemed a reasonable price for a June weekend Nantucket.

There are two complaints that I have, one that the Inn has control over and the other that it does not. The first is that it’s quite windy during the evening which, though refreshing, causes the shutters to bang around a lot. It would be helpful to add some sort of shutter latch to keep this racket down. Also the shutters have a habit of banging open due to the wind which can be embarrassing when you’re in the midst of changing.

The other problem is that it’s not nearly as quiet in this location as I’d expect. I’m not sure if this is because it’s just so quiet that any noise at all is disrupting or whether it’s just plain noisy but any time a car drove by it made a huge racket. I’m a fairly heavy sleeper but each of the two mornings we were there I was up before 6 due to a combination of the bright light (and limited shades), knocking shutters, and what sounded like a fleet of 18-wheelers driving by. Even on Sunday morning there was a huge garbage truck outside around 7:30 doing god knows what. In summary it was definitely far louder with the windows open in this Nantucket Inn than it is in my New York City apartment.

Overall the Inn was nice, friendly, comfortable, clean and noisy. The downside is that I really wasn’t feeling all that rested after 2 days waking up at the crack of dawn. If you’re a dawn riser than this would be a fantastic place for you. If you’re a regular person like me then it’s probably average. If you want to sleep in and relax in Nantucket you should probably look elsewhere. One thing is that our room was over the street, it’s possible that a room on the backside would be a bit more quiet.

The Wonderful Centerboard Guest House

by TripAdvisor Member facchino

My wife and I spent 4 wonderful nights at the Centerboard Guest House to celebrate our 1 year anniversary. I chose the Centerboard based on its reasonable price and recommendations on New York Times.com and TripAdvisor. The house is beautiful and located in a picturesque neighborhood. The queen room #3 is nicely furnished and very clean. It's located farthest from the street, so we didn't experience any of the noise that the previous review indicated. The only negative may be the toilet in the bathroom is positioned very close to the walls, which may present a problem for larger people to get up. The shower is exquisite and there's plenty of hot water and excellent toiletries.

The website indicates air conditioning, however, my wife, who was 7 1/2 months pregnant at the time, was alarmed when she discovered there weren't any window A.C. units installed until July 1st. The innkeeper promptly responded by sending up a plate of freshly baked chocolate chip cookies with milk along with with a card to apologize. They then called their service to immediately install an A.C. unit in our room. We were tickled pink by such wonderful service.
The manager of the inn was very friendly and personable, without being intrusive. The one disappointment we had was breakfast. Upon arriving, the manager explained that local law dictates that inns can't serve hot breakfast. So, they only provided cold cereal and muffins with coffee and juice. However, when I looked at the website for the nearby Union Street Inn, they offered their guests French toast, eggs and pancakes inclusive with the stay.
However, I'd like to reiterate that we had a wonderful stay at the Centerboard - and would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a special stay in Nantucket.

traveling with teens

by TripAdvisor Member Aukie

Traveling with 3 teenage boys can be a challenge. Finding the right accomodations, location and entertainment will make or break a vacation. Gratefully, Nantucket was the perfect vacation spot for my 3 young men and luckily there was entertainment for each of their tastes. Shopping, fishing, girls, surfing, hiking, girls and great food! My husband and I loved it as well. We chose the Centerboard Guest House, because it was one of the only places that could accomodate 5 people. What a beautiful place! We loved it and felt completely comfortable in the large Houseboat room! The kitchenette in the room was a plus and the bathroom was spacious. The Innkeeper was so gracious! Becky was so kind to us and our boys. They loved her fresh granola and baked goods. She was very entertaining and shared recipes with us. The house was immaculate and in a perfect location. It was very quiet, but within walking distance of downtown. We rented a car one day, which I would recommend if you are not familiar with the island. We were able to explore the area and enjoy all of the beaches. My only complaint is that we had to leave too soon. Thanks Becky for making us feel welcome and at home!!!

20th Anniversary Get-A-Way! Canton, MA

by TripAdvisor Member Cantonite87

My husband and I went for a 2 night get-a-away for our 20th anniversary. We stayed in the suite and loved it! It was beautifully decorated and immaculate. The continental breakfast was good and the Inn's owner even had a split of champagne waiting for us in the fridge! It is centrally located to town, so that you can walk everywhere. We would stay there again in a heart beat and HIGHLY recommend the Centerboard to anyone traveling to Nantucket.

Sadly disappointed

by TripAdvisor Member jakessandiego

Both my husband & I were so disappointed with our recent stay. We had stayed at the Centerboard in 1998 and loved it but they now have new owners and they "renovated" but it looks worse for wear. The windows were so dirty that we could hardly see through them. The rug was dirty, the linens faded and very old and the shutters wouldn't close so we had to put our shoes up against them just to get privacy from the street people who walked by. The restaurant across the street was open until after 1am and you could hear the conversations of people leaving and laughing and talking on their cell phones while standing by their cars right under our window so it was very hard to sleep. The robe (only one and we were two people) that hung in the little standing closet was dingy and stiff and old so I didn't want to use it. We arrived at the Inn at 1pm after a long flight and ferry ride from California and were both very tired..check in was strickly adhered to be at 3pm and when I asked to use a bathroom a very nice cleaning woman let me use the bathroom in our room which was all clean and ready to go but we had to wait on their outside porch for 2 hours before they would let us check in. When we did go into the lobby to check in no one was there, just a yellow sticky note with our name and our room number telling us to go upstairs. The woman who ran the Inn, not the owner was very casual, not caring at all and she told us it was her last day so now we know why. I would NOT stay there again. We found many other INNS in Nantucket that were much cleaner and nicer and reasonably priced that we will try on our next visit. We love Nantucket and hope for the best next time. I was an assistant manager of a Hotel in San Diego and know that it is attention to detail and especially making sure the windows are clean and the linens are crisp and not faded that make a stay enjoyable and special. I have hopes that they will clean up their act since the Inn back in 1998 was very very good at that time.

Looking for parking in Nantucket.Looking for parking in Nantucket.

Hyannis HarborHyannis Harbor