Cliff Lodge

9 Cliff Road, Nantucket, Massachusetts, 02554, United States

More about Cliff Lodge

Plan your trip to stay at Cliff Lodge

Making reservations in December was a good plan indeed. The island is quiet and the shopping is still excellent. Some restaurants were closed, but we found plenty of lovely places open. Our accomodations were beautiful and clean and our breakfast was delicious. We can entirely recommend this great old B & B to anyone.

Lovely and Quiet, Extremely clean and affordable

We have returned to the Cliff Lodge Inn on numerous occassions. We are never disappointed. The off season is nice and quiet and a good time to visit. The rooms are spacious (we stay in a King) and amoung the cleanest you will find in any fine hotel. We are picky too. We were treated like long lost family by the friendly and gracious innkeeper, Sally. She will help you with your plans and you never feel like you are "imposing" on her time. Neither will she be "in your face". We have experienced both types and this is one reason we keep coming back to Cliff Lodge. There are some fine restaurants open and some shopping. We enjoy sitting by the fire and reading and just taking it easy. This is the perfect place and we hope this review is helpful to anyone planning to go to the island. We'll be back again next year.
Rex

Great location and views - but not quite as advertised

We stayed one night in off-season (April) and were the only guests that night. The brochure says "gourmet breakfast cooked by pastry chef"- in actuality there was some cereal and muffins laid out for us - we had to set the table ourselves and then "bus" the dirty dishes after eating - not quite what you expect for the price of the room. The hostess was nowhere to be seen during breakfast. Also, there was no heat the night we stayed in mid-April, until we called and asked for it - by then it was in the 40s outside. The "free wireless access" requires a username and password that the hostess gave us only when we called her for it. Despite all this, the room itself was very nice and the hostess was friendly (but barely around the whole time we were there) The roof walk has an excellent view of the town and the ocean. The lodge location is excellent and beaches and town are easily walkable.

Outstanding Bed and Breakfast!

by TripAdvisor Member woostah

This is a wonderful lodge with outstanding service. Sally made sure every detail of our stay was delightful. The room was bright, clean, cheerful, and tastefully decorated. It has all the amenities of a four star hotel. The afternoon wine and cheese spread was really a superb buffet of fresh vegetables, fruits, cheese, and crackers. The breakfast was profesionally prepared and exceeded our expectations. Sally was knowledagable of the island, friendly, and made our stay a great experience. We willl definitely return to this upscale B&B with a moderate price (for Nantucket). It is within walking distance of the Ferry and close to downtown.

Not terrible but doesn't deserve high reviews

by TripAdvisor Member guysmiles

First I must say, I always check TripAdvisor before going on any trip. I find the reviews to be very helpful and usually right on. This is one instance where I should have paid more attention to the lower reviews. It's not a terrible place, it just didn't live up to the high reviews. As far as my experience with B & B's, the Cliff Lodge didn't compare well. When I go to a B & B, I look for a place with a friendly and helpful staff, a place that's comfortable and I always look forward to an exceptional breakfast experience. In terms of comfort our room was quite small, a half room really, and the bed wasn't very comfortable. There are other choices, but we chose this room as it was $200 versus $300 for the bigger rooms. The room was clean and the air conditioning, though noisy, made it temperate. The staff, when we found them, were nice, but they didn't go out of their way to help with providing an introduction to the B & B, nor the island in general. The breakfast was on par with a mediocre hotel continental breakfast. Again not terrible, but certainly not as they advertise "prepared by a gourmet chef". We decided to have breakfast elsewhere on our second and final day there. For nice sushi go to Sushi by Yoshi. Brotherhood of Thieves is a great for a burger and overall pub experience.

Just fine for us!

by TripAdvisor Member CaliforniaFM

On vacation to Massachusetts for 3 weeks, I tried not to go over $200.00 a night for a room. I felt fortunate to get a nice room at the Cliff Lodge for 4 nights in our price range. The room was charming...yes, a little small yet clean. The bathroom was tiny but it met our needs. I was traveling with my 13 year old son and luckily he did not mind sharing a bed with his mother. We were out late most evenings so we didn't need a large room for hanging out. We hardly turned on the small t.v in the room. The one evening we were back at the Inn by 9:00 p.m., we grabbed the scrabble game and played on the dining room table.

We liked the Cliff Lodge because it was quiet ,allowing us to sleep in. Since we could help ourselves at breakfast we were not forced to wake up earlier than 9:15. I loved the granola and did not mind having it every morning, my son enjoyed the different pastries served each day. We met the nicest guests at Cliff Lodge and enjoyed the conversation during breakfast. It was a treat to relax and read the newspaper in the front room late in the afternoon and enjoy a cookie before going out to dinner. Our favorite restaurants were Centre Street Bistro, Company of the Cauldron and Languedoc.

We also liked the location of the Cliff Lodge, an easy walk to the center of town. We saw Sally, our Inn keeper daily. She was helpful prior to our visit to Nantucket and when calling for a taxi when we departed.

Just remember the lodge does not have an elevator so if you have large luggage there are a lot of steps to the front door and the staircase is narrow up to the second and third floor. The air conditioning was on during our entire visit but the room never really cooled down....it was comfortable but not cool.

We hope to return to Nantucket and would stay at the Cliff Lodge again.

Extremely disappointed! Unflexible management! WORST part of our vacation!

by TripAdvisor Member kariann121

I am very saddened to be writing this review as I believed I was booking a nice, clean, welcoming B&B to relax in during our vacation to Nantucket. I have stayed in a number of B&B's all over the Northeast US, and I must say that they were all wonderful except for the Cliff Lodge.

We called the innkeeper Sally in late 2005 to book Room #5 (since it was "highly recommended" by one of the other reviewers) We had no pictures or details to go by and Sally told us it would be no problem to book that room. In April (well before our trip, I confirmed our deposit and that we had room #5). One month before we left for Nantucket, I called to confirm again our arrival date and room #, but this time Sally said "oh I'm sorry, we had to put you in room #4, but its a really nice room...." I was really upset at this time, and come to find out, she had simply given our room to another couple that she previously knew. This should have been my first major red flag.

The day of our trip:
We drove from Syracuse to the Hyannis port to take the Steamship Authority ferry. The ferry was great! Very comfortable tables to sit at (while we played cards) before we arrived in Nantucket. Once we got the the island, there were NO signs telling us where to go. Luckily I had printed off a mapquest leading to our B&B. We hauled our luggage about 1 mile through the cobblestone streets. When we got to the B&B we were tired and were excited to see our room and unpack. However, upon walking into the main foyer, my husband and sister in-law gasped in disbelief. We were standing in a very old, non-remodeled, non air-conditioned and decrepit building. This was our second red flag. Sally the innkeeper happily charged us our $925 for a minimum 3 night stay, and started to lead us up to our room. My husband asked what happened to our original reservations that we confirmed twice in room #5, and Sally said "oh, well yes, sorry that did not work out for you". We could tell immediately that we were going to be treated as second rate customers (even though we paid extra for the "larger suite").

So Sally led us up the steep narrow stairwell, down the skinny hallway, and through the tiny door to our room, we were in for yet another surprise. The room was MUCH smaller than decribed and the "ocean view king suite" ended up as a room half the size of my dorm room at college with much less privacy! Right after Sally left we looked around the room trying to figure out how we were going to feel comfortable in such a tiny space, then to our surprise/SHOCK on the shelf in our closet that the ceiling was falling down, we found a used and absolutely discgusting pair of ladies victoria secret thong panties. My husband took a pen and flung the undergarments in the trash. I went right downstairs to find Sally, but conveniently she was missing, so not knowing what to do with the "trash" I walked down the stairs to the patio and tossed the bag on the ground where they had thrown other garbage for the day.

Since we were in town for a wedding at the White Elephant, I had to call Sally about an hour later from the rehearsal dinner. I explained to her that the room was way below our expectations, and that we were appalled by the used undergarments that were missed on the shelf, and were willing to stay for the one night if we had to, but kindly asked if we could book a room that we would enjoy elsewhere. I told her where I had placed the garbage bag, and apologized for not being happy with her B&B. Looking back, I cannot believe I was that nice to her since her response to me was extremely rude about the situation and she told me "so sad too bad, due to the "policy" we were stuck" she said "go ahead and leave, I don't care, but you will not be reimbursed a penny, plus that you are very lucky I am not charging you another $35/night for your sister in-law sleeping on the airbed on the floor!" THIS WAS UNREAL! I have never been treated like this by an establishment, and couldn't think of a way to break the bad news to my husband and sister in-law.

Please LOOK closely at the pictures we have taken of this place! I want you to be fully prepared what you are in for before ruining your vacation like we did by staying at the Cliff Lodge.

Other notes/details:
1. There is no privacy in your room. Not are there windows about your door that people can look into, but the bathroom door is a tiny bi-fold that you can see through when it is occupied (see photos)
2. The TV is a joke, it is a teeny 10" old TV literraly stuck into a hole in the wall with a plaster flip down panel (see photos)
3. The ceiling in the closet is falling down...asbestos and lead I assume from this old building, and the walls that are rippled and caving in are covered by old wallpaper (see photos)
4. There is only 1 usable electrical outlet, no iron or ironing board, and no blow dryer! We asked for an ironing board and we got a tiny college size that (long with the iron) had rust stains
5. The is no ocean view whatsoever through the cracked old windows that paint is falling off from, so don't get your hopes up.
6. There is no supension cables on the windows so kids and others can get seriously hurt when trying to put them up.
7. The shower was terrible. Unless you are under 5'4" there is no way to stand up straight in the shower since the head is down way too low. Also ladies, no ledge to put your leg up to shave!
8. Don't be fooled by the widows walk. It took us 2 days to find how to get to the roof, and it ended up being an extremely scary hike up very dark narrow stairs, opening a heavy wood hatch and balancing your way onto an unstable rooftop. Again...kids beware!
9. The dresser was propped up on toilet paper to keep it from rocking, and the small mirror was useless due to no electrical outlet nearby.
10. There was minimal closet space and garbage bags were stapled over leaks and falling celing pieces.

The positives??
1. The breakfast was decent, certainly not gourmet...so do not expect eggs, waffles, pancakes, sausage, etc.
2. The linens/towels were all Ralph Lauren...nice camoflage.

Feel free to email me with any questions, concerns or more details about Nantucket or the Cliff Lodge. The 3 of us will never return to this island thanks to our experience at our B&B. Kariann121@hotmail.com

Found new Gem In Nantucket

by TripAdvisor Member sh54

I booked my room at the Cliff Lodge through their other inn, The Martin House. We stay at the Martin House at least 3x a year (for the past 4 years) but this getaway was "last moment" and a room was not available to us. The innkeeper suggested we consider the Cliff Lodge and we took her up on it booking a Queen on the second floor.

What a charming inn! While The Martin House is a stately and dignified manor home, the Cliff House is charming, cozy and full of "summer time." Both have great locations, are clean and very well cared for, excellent breakfasts (same baker I soon learned-she is great!) and decorated picture perfect-quintessentially Nantucket.

Here's the catch-Which Inn do we choose for Christmas Stroll!?

PS Promise to take pictures next time.

Location, Location

by TripAdvisor Member Jackman1

This property has a great location. 5 minutes to town yet quiet enough to sleep in. You can walk from the Steamship dock over paved roads but if you take the Hy Line grab a cab. Rooms are simple, clean and pleasant. Breakfast is very good, afternoon treats a plus. Bike racks out back, BBQ (gas grill) if you want to cook your catch of the day. If you're not a fusspot or a snob then this is a perfect match in Nantucket. Sally does a fine job but does not wait on you hand and foot -for that try the Club level at the Ritz. Beach towels available if the sun is out and plenty of nooks to sit and read if it is raining. Food: Brant point Grill 5 minutes $$$$, Straight Wharf$$$$, Toby $$, Thieves $$ Fog Island $$.........go enjoy, it's a great place on a special island

What a perfect vacation!

by TripAdvisor Member lbosw6617

My husband and I recently took a three week trip to New England. In the middle of this trip we spent 3 nights in Nantucket at the Cliff Lodge. This was our first stay at a B & B, and we were pleasantly surprised.
What an incredible place. Our room was so nice. It was clean, bright, and cool. (Cool is very important with me!) The bed was so comfortable.
The house was not only charming but also beautiful. Everything was clean and very welcoming. Breakfast was great-always delicious and got me to start making granola at home because it was so good.
The innkeeper, Sally Beck, made us feel like family. While not intruding, she welcomed us everyday and actually remembered our names everytime! What a great gal and a efficient manager. We will be returning to the Cliff Lodge! This stay made our vacation so special.

The blue lobster at the Maria Mitchell AquariumThe blue lobster at the Maria Mitchell Aquarium

Hyannis HarborHyannis Harbor