House of the Seven Gables

TripAdvisor Traveler Rating
Based on 27 reviews

Travelers Beware

by written on June 2, 2012

I’ll begin by saying I haven’t stayed at HOSG. So if you want descriptions of the place and its facilities, this article won’t provide them. If you care about the integrity and ethics of the people with whom you do business, read on.

I made a reservation for Friday and Saturday nights, August 27th and 28th, 2011. I was coming from California and had a limited amount of time on the east coast.

Earlier that week the news was all about Hurricane Irene. I watched it hour by hour for the 3 or 4 days prior to my arrival date. I learned the storm was big, strong and headed right for the northeast including Massachusetts, Nantucket Island’s home state.

I waited for the storm to decrease in size or change course but it didn’t. On Friday morning the President was urging people to get out of harm’s way, move away from the coastal areas in the path of the storm. Massachusetts Governor Duval Patrick was saying the same thing. Don’t take any chances.

I called the HOSG and said that based on the information I had at that time, it would be risky for me to take the 30+ mile ferry trip to the low-lying island. The woman I spoke with became instantly confrontational. She told me I had been informed the inn had a no cancellation policy. She said under the circumstances, she could offer me two mid-week nights as compensation but that was it. . I was heading back to CA anyway and couldn’t stay during the week. I either showed up or I lost my $500+.

The conversation degenerated into me threatening to have American Express cancel the charge. She had obviously been through this before. Actually, she told me that was the case.
Amex didn’t refund my money. I don’t know what you call it when someone takes your hard earned money and gives you nothing in return but I call it larceny. The woman who runs this place is nothing better than a common thief, someone who sticks a knife in someone’s ribs and takes their wallet. Having Amex back her up does not make what she did right. I’m not done with Amex yet but I wanted to get this information out in hopes it can keep someone from making the same mistake I made.

If you think a despicable person like this would steal my money and not steal yours, think again.

Nearby House of the Seven Gables

Nantucket Travel Forum

Need advice about Nantucket, Massachusetts? Visit the Travel Forum for Nantucket and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Nantucket hotel reviews

Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review

Explore Deeper into Nantucket
Go for a swim!
Things to Do
This is a popular tourist...
Things to Do