Le Languedoc

24 Broad Street, Nantucket, Massachusetts, 02554, United States

Satisfaction Poor

More about Nantucket

Mike and Anna walking along the Madaket BeachMike and Anna walking along the Madaket Beach

Flowers outside our cottageFlowers outside our cottage

visiting cape cod

by bjpreston59

My husband and I are planning a trip to cape cod this summer. We are wondering where to stay without spending a fortune and take a day trip to Nantucket and a day trip to marthas vineyard. When is the best time to go?

by tayloretc

During the season (roughly, Memorial Day to Labor Day) everywhere is expensive, and usually has to be booked well in advance. If you want to beat the high cost, and the crowds, you should go a little before or a little after the season. May and September/October are fantastic on the Cape. Not beach weather, necessarily, but fantastic.

Generally, the bay side (Sandwich, Barnstable, Brewster) and the north-south Provincetown to Chatham stretch are the most expensive, along with pockets along the south shore. (But there are gorgeous B&Bs and Inns.) Route 28 (southern side, east Hyannis to Chatham, and west around Falmouth) has a lot of inexpensive places, but I always found it depressing. (Motels and strip malls.)

During the season, Hyannis could work as a base for both Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket, but if you go off-season you'll need to check (off-season to Martha's Vineyard is from Woods Hole).

If you can provide more info on how long you're staying and what you like to do, I might be able to make more specific recommendations.

by hmcrn

Depending on how long you are staying - you could look up a vacation rental. There are several sites, (homeawayfromhome.com; vacationrentals.com; etc). They usually want you to stay a week, but if you go in May or September, you can sometimes rent for just the weekend. Good luck!

by bjpreston59

Thanks for your input. We do not have a set time or date. I am working on a "new england road trip and a Windjammer 3 day cruise in Maine. I thought we could stay on the Cape on our way back home. Probably just a couple of nights. I understand what you say about the one area being depressing. I would like a more quaint area if possible. How long does it take to ferry to each island. How much time do you need on the island to get a good feel for it?

Travel Tips for Nantucket

Best Island in the World

by islandprincess

"Beautiful scenery"

Known for its unique, commercial free vacation destination. The flowers, the endless beaches, the cobblestone roads, bike paths, the food, the art galleries, the breezes are all part of the true Nantucket I so well know and try to preserve. I come back to it because it's peaceful, away from the noise.

Every time I come I have an unforgettable experience.

Comments