Manor House

11 India Street, P.O. Box 1436, , Massachusetts, 02554, United States

More about Nantucket

Awake and readyAwake and ready

Sconset BeachSconset Beach

only have one day

by ashleyking

There was no Cap Code forum, but this is close enough.

I (along with my boyfriend) will be in Cap Code area for one day and one day only. I know this is a very limited time, but because of our schedule this is all we have.

My question is what should we do?
Should we take ferries to Nantucket and/or Martha's Vineyard or should we stay on the main island?

What are the main places to check out (outdoor/nature stuff, lighthouses)?

Should we go whale watching here (because it is @ $20 cheaper than in Maine, which we will be visiting for about 3 days) or would that take up too much time?

Any advise/comments/suggestions will be much appreciated!!!

Thanks soo much to anyone who can help,

Great day to all FRIDAY.....YEAH!!!!

by Anthro

You'd be spending a lot of time on the ferry from Cape Cod to Nantucket if you only had one day. I like Nantucket though, although I spent a few days there.

by Agraichen

Visiting Cape Cod, one should not miss Nantucket or Martha's Vineyard. Take the ferry, it's part of the "charm" of the area. You should also check before reserving any "whale watching" excursion to be certain it is the correct time to actually see them.

Thanks for the help

by ashleyking

how long are the ferry rides to Nantucet and Martha's Vineyard?

by Anthro

I think, if I remember from my own trip a few years ago, that it's almost 2 hours, one way from Hyannis Port to Nantucket.

by ashleyking

gosh that is a long time one way. thanks for the tip
have a great day

by Anthro

no problem, Have a great weekend!

Leah

by MURRA

there is a neat little canal across cape cod that u can see boats go thru and woods hole marine observatory is near this. this is at the entrance to the cape. if you have a car try provincetown tip of cape cod. there are paved biking trails but u likely not enuf time for that.

by where2next

In lieu of not going to Nantucket, one place that's not so far out of the way is Newport, Rhode Island. It's a nice place to hang out and there are variety of things to see.

by ashleyking

Thanks guys I really appreciate the good advise

hope ever one has a great weekend!!!!!!

by diver-x

I have never been to Nantucket, but I have been to the Cape and Martha's Vineyard. I'd rather go to the Vineyard than the Cape. We've done day trips before to MV from Boston, so only one day there is fine. The ferry takes about 45 minutes from Woods Hole to Vineyard Haven. For more ferry info, see www.steamshipauthority.com/.

by Monza_dh

The Cape is a large area and one day is not enough to really explore. I would say pick one area such as Falmouth or Chatham or Wellfleet and spend time checking out what each has to offer. Where ever you are doen the Cape you won't be far from a beach either. As for the Islands, you can take the Fast Ferry from Hyannis to Nantucket in an hour but it will set you back $100. I would recommend for one day maybe going out to Chatham and then on to Wellfleet and Cahoon's Hollow beach. Or stay in the Falmouth area and take the ferry over to the Vinyard for the day or just dinner. If you go I would only go to Edgartown and Skip the rest. The Vinyard is very large and getting around is a hastle.

Check out the ferry times below:

by ashleyking

Thank you so very much for your help, I know we will have a great time!!!

Travel Tips for Nantucket

Nantucket Island

by Tamilynn_1972

"Nantucket Island"

Nantucket is a very quaint island off the coast of Massachusetts known for in it's hay-day as an island for whaling. Recently it has started to get more and more touristy and overrun with visitors but in the off season, it's truly a marvel of a place. Offering a whaling museum and a great downtown area, need for cars on the island is minimal and there are plenty of rental shops for bikes, mopeds and off-road jeeps/vehicles for the enthusiast. October on the island is awesome, with the sound of the surf pounding on the beaches while the fall colors abound. A truly amazing place to visit---but better left for the spring or fall seasons.

Comments