Auberge Gladstone

8 Vernon Street, Plymouth, Massachusetts, 02360, United States

Auberge Gladstone
Hotels.com Expedia.com Travelocity

• A very pleasant surprise in Plymouth, Mass.

In our effort to recover from a hectic year (to say the least!) my fiancé and I left our 13-month-old with her grandparents and escaped to the Auberge Gladstone Guest House, located in the beautiful and historic downtown center of Plymouth, Mass. We were hoping for one part relaxation, one part fun, and one part early honeymoon, and that was exactly what we got.

First of all, Plymouth, Mass. is one of the most picturesque, historic and underrated vacation destinations in the state, if not the country. There is an unlimited list of activities to put on your itinerary: shopping through unique mom & pop boutiques and antique shops on Court Street, grabbing a soft serve and walking up the waterfront to the Mayflower II and Plymouth Rock. Unwinding on the beach, or hiking through the serene trails of Morton Park. These are the sorts of activities that I love – inexpensive, relaxing and flexible for the traveler, who – like me – changes her mind every three minutes!

The Auberge Gladstone Guest House is in such a prime location for anyone visiting Plymouth. Walking distance from the waterfront, historic attractions and shopping district, at the Gladstone you’re never far from music, art, nightlife, history or nature. In fact, you’re in the midst of it all.

We checked in on a Thursday afternoon and fell in love with our room, the Loft. Antique white pine flooring, a bathroom I’ve only ever dreamed about, an extraordinarily comfortable bed, and decorated contemporarily while still having a spa-like feel. As soon as we checked in, we felt immediately relaxed and – gasp! – like we were on vacation! After taking some time to decompress, we walked over to the waterfront and enjoyed a delicious seafood dinner at the Blue Eyed Crab, which was recommended by the staff at the Gladstone. There was something about just walking hand-in-hand up the waterfront that really brought me back to the days when my fiancé and I had just started dating. The time before kids and mortgages when we just enjoyed each other’s company and that was enough.

On Friday morning, we stayed in for the Gladstone’s continental breakfast, which was perfect. Light, fresh and delicious so we could start our daily adventures with plenty of energy. We had heard of Morton Park from some friends who are from the Plymouth area, so we headed there to see what it was all about. What a gorgeous park! Two huge ponds, surrounded by miles of trails and plenty of beaches. We hiked through Pilgrim Trail, which felt much further away from reality than it was, and had some laughs (I wore flip flops...) before heading back to the Gladstone to steal a few more moments of relaxation. I poured myself a bubble bath in the antique claw foot tub while my fiancé turned on the flat screen TV. I flipped through a gossip mag and he dozed off until it was time to check out.

I have to say that this experience was exactly what the doctor ordered. We were able to completely check out from the stresses of everyday life and parenthood, while rekindling some romance and enjoying a truly beautiful part of the world. The Auberge Gladstone Guest House made an excellent experience a phenomenal one. The inn manager was so friendly and helpful when it came to recommending activities and restaurants. I also loved the privacy you are given – basically the staff is wonderful when you need them but leaves you to enjoy your privacy when you don’t. I will absolutely be visiting the Gladstone again, sooner than later. I can’t stop dreaming about that bubble bath!! Thank you for everything!

Unique Quality: I have to say that there are so many outstanding characteristics of the Auberge Gladstone that make it stand out from my previous experiences at Guest Houses/Bed & Breakfasts. The privacy was wonderful - the staff let's you enjoy your peace & quiet, helping with a recommendation or two when needed. The room was gorgeous and tranquil - I could have soaked in the antique claw-foot tub all day. The inn manager and staff were very pleasant and helpful, and we were walking distance from anything we would ever want to do; beach, parks, historic attractions, art, music and nightlife. Of course, the tiki hot-tub was a pleasant surprise and very relaxing!

Directions: Court Street, the Waterfront, the Mayflower, the Plymouth Rock, Plimoth Plantation, Morton Park, the beach...everything!

Comments