Addison Choate Inn

49 Broadway, Rockport, Massachusetts, 01966, United States

More about Rockport

The ProposalThe Proposal

On bended kneeOn bended knee

FISHFISH

Rockport Shop, The Blue LanternRockport Shop, The Blue Lantern

I'm Curious

by shelbyl12

Is Rockport a good town to live in if you are about 20?

by Agraichen

It would all depend on your likes/dislikes in life. I lived just a few miles from there off of Rt 128 when I was 17-21 while in college and loved the place. I found it very relaxing and a great place for photography. BUT, I was only a 30-45 minute drive (or train ride from Beverly Farms) to Boston where there was lots of club action.

by xymmot

Is this Rockport , Maine? Nice quiet town, a friend of mines retired there, yes it is quiet, but it depends on what you are looking for in life. The town will embrace you. I recently went to Portland , Maine and there is more going on there. I thought I was in Portland, Oregon sometimes. Very lay back and a good environment to get your bearings. The have a college in Portland with many young people in their 20's. I am much older, but if I was young I would go to Portland instead.

by alansm

This is a Massachusetts Forum, so I doubt very highly that the writer meant Rockport, Maine.

by fdrich29

I grew up in the next town over, Gloucester and my aunt and her family live there. Rockport is a beautiful little town, very historic, right on the water, etc, so if that's what you're looking for you'll love it. If you have a car you'll be about 25-30 minutes from the Danvers and Peabody malls. There's a train that will get you to Boston in just over an hour. It's a very small, close-knit kind of town,of mostly older folks. The high school only graduates 20 or so people each year, something along those lines. So like the other poster said, it all depends on what you like. It's also a fairly expensive place to live. More than happy to help out with any other questions.

Frank

Travel Tips for Rockport

Main Street shops to placid waters in a blink

by Pawtuxet

Maybe its the proximity and mixture of things all happening simultaneously that I like so much about Rockport. No time to be bored. You can go from oodles of people and non-stop shopping on Bearskin Neck, to a history lesson, a kayak paddle, exquisite photography subjects, fabulous fresh shrimp and lobsters... to the placid silence of the inner harbor without taking much more than ten steps! It's all here..jammed into one of the most picturesque towns you'll find most anywhere. No wonder the artists have enjoyed being here for so many years.
The town fathers (and mothers) protect this atmosphere passionately. I'm so glad it has remained the same for all the years I can remember. Certain businesses will come and go, but the flavor and beauty remain unspoiled. I hope you can enjoy it one day. Call me and I'll meet you there. I find most any excuse to drive up to Rockport.

The Beach

by donovanel

I don't know how many countless trips I have made to Rockport's beach. And everytime I see it, it is still one of my favorites. There are all sorts of rocks to climb on and search out aquatic life as well as beach that goes on forever. The waves always seemed enormous when I was a child and somehow the water never seemed as cold as when I returned after graduating high school!

Fishermens' Politics

by Pawtuxet

On my last trip to Pigeon Cove I noticed bumper stickers and signs all over the place proclaiming unfairness to fishermen in whatever legislation they were boycotting. Life is hard on the water... men work hard to put bread on the table... and they are obviously struggling with environmentalists' laws which make their work harder each year. There are no easy answers for such things as overfishing for a growing population and demand.

Packing List

by BuickMackane

A beach bag or a satchel with an extra layer of clothes for boating. Weather has become unpredictable on Cape Ann, so dress in layers, especially when you're on a whale watching boat. You'll be surprised how chilly it can be out on the ocean, even in the summertime! Sunblock, suntan lotion, insect repellant. There are several chain drug stores on Cape Ann, including Brooks Pharmacy in the Whistlestop Mall in Rockport. The nearest hospital is Addison Gilbert Hospital in Gloucester, (978) 283-4000. You'll want to take lots of photos! There is a camera shop in the Whistlestop Mall in Rockport, and a larger store called Photographics at the Main Street Plaza in downtown Gloucester. You can check with the Cape Ann Chamber of Commerce on this. Their Web site is http://www.capeannvacations.com/ and e-mail is info@capeannvacations.com (new address). If you want to bring liquor into Rockport, there are stores in Gloucester on either side of the town line. Seabreeze Liquors is inside the Shaw's supermarket mall on Eastern Avenue (Route 127 in Gloucester which later turns into Upper Main Street in Rockport). There's also a 'packie' (local slang for liquor store) in Lanesville, a neighborhood of north Gloucester bordering on Rockport. These stores are closed on Sundays, which means you'll have to travel as far away as Ipswich to find open liquor stores.

Visit the ancestors of Rockport

by Pawtuxet

The Old First Parish Burying Ground dates back to 1630 when the original plot was given to the town by Richard Tarr, the first settler. He was buried here in 1732.
There is something so wonderful about the old cemeteries of New England. Sometimes they are overgrown with lack of care.....mostly hidden in a tiny vacant lot that most everyone has forgotten...but at other times, they are groomed and inviting as a public park...and one must wonder who pays for the care for surely all the descendants have long ago moved on to other exciting places and adventures.
The Old First Burying Ground of Rockport is one of those places that gets regular maintenance and respect...visitors cutting across to go down the hill to the little public beach across the street from it. The stones are worn and often covered in patches of moss. The sun streams across in late afternoon leaving wonderful shadows and memories tumbling down the hill with the sunset.

Comments