Sally Webster Inn

More about Rockport

Lobster trapsLobster traps

Chamber of Commerce brochureChamber of Commerce brochure

UP CLOSE AND PERSONAL WITH MOTIF # 1UP CLOSE AND PERSONAL WITH MOTIF # 1

families lingering at day's endfamilies lingering at day's end

Travel Tips for Rockport

Walk thru BEARSKIN NECK--it is...

by donovanel

Walk thru BEARSKIN NECK--it is the downtown Rockport area that is filled with quaint little shops and restaurants and of course the artists are everywhere. I will always remember walking thru Bearskin Neck and getting toys from the Happy Whale and the General Store for penny candy.

Rockport Tip

by donovanel

I will always remember how clear the water looked...how deep blue and inviting. It was hot outside, the sun beating down, and as I was climbing on the rocks, I found the perfect jumping spot. I knew the water would be cold, but it was only a short swim to the shore. I gathered my courage, and plunged into the water. MY HEART FELT AS IF IT HAD STOPPED! I felt as if my whole body went into shock! The water was like ice and all I could think of was get me to shore!!

Fishermens' Coop ~ weighing in

by Pawtuxet

There is a co-op for the fishermen in Pigeon Cove. This is where the fish and lobsters are hauled in and weighed... then shipped off to local eateries or markets. How many crustaceans must move through this tiny place each day?

Cathedral Rocks is my favorite...

by diver-x

Cathedral Rocks is my favorite dive spot in Rockport. It's labeled as a more difficult dive, but if the tide is high and the surge is low, I say it's one of the easiest dives. You can do a giant-stride entry from a flat rock ledge. Getting out is a pain when the tide is low, but luckily there's almost always someone there offering to help you. I usually end up pulling my fins, BC & weights off and handing them up before I attempt to exit. It's much easier that way!

Stay to the left for a shallow dive - about 30 feet. Go straight out for a deep dive - about 80 feet max. There's lots to see here: stripers, cod, stonefish, flounder, lumpfish and of course, lobsters & crabs. Nice sponges & anemones too!

Starting from Route 128 North, take a left onto Route 127. Stay on 127, go approx. 5.5 miles, take a right onto Philips Ave. (sign for R.W. Emerson Inn) go to end. There's parking on the street in front of the inn.

See the Cape Ann Divers Find A Dive Site page for more information about this and other dive sites on Cape Ann.

Main Street filled with interest

by Pawtuxet

Rockport has some very strict zoning. They allow certain businesses to come in and others are not allowed. It is designed to keep the artist galleries in tact and preserve the flavor of the little colony. The square and main street seem to cater to a cut above the likes of the shops on Bearskin Neck. I have a favorite women's clothing store (Willoughby's) and there are a variety of gift shops, Toad Hall Book Store, pottery studio, camera store,etc. Great candy at Tuck's Taffy Shop which has been here for many, many years.
The buildings are interesting...the gardens and flower boxes brilliant...and the signage in good taste. I'm pretty sure it is all very closely monitored.

Comments