40 Bridge Street, Route 1A, Salem, Massachusetts, 01970, United States

Travelocity Hotels.com Expedia.com

Satisfaction Average

• CEP1863's Profile Photo

Good base to stay

I chanced upon this place as I had not pre-booked any accommodation prior to my arrival and found much of the accommodation closer to the centre fully booked.

For what it was, I would say that it was overpriced but it did give me a base from which to explore Salem. The staff were friendly and helpful and soon I was equipped with a walking map and pointed in the direction of the town centre which was a 15 minute walk away. It was however far more convenient to leave the car and walk rather than try to find parking in the town centre with all of the time restrictions and need to gather loose change in order to feed the meter.

The room was ample sized and had two double beds, a good sized bathroom, coffee making facilities and free wifi.

Would I stay again? Yes possibly but I would try to get something more realistically priced first.

Unique Quality: Conveniently located on Route 1A.

Directions: Located on Highway 1A & 107

• A very nice place to stay

I was displaced because my house went up for forclosure and i called the clipperside inn and i talked to a very nice woman by the name of suzanne and she was very helpful and very nice to me and my daughter and my pets that we had with us. shw also had very helpful staff and very nice people working for her.

Unique Quality: The room that we stayed in was very clean and the people who keep the rooms clean were very nice too. Not far from anything and they are nice enough to point out where the good food is and places to go to visit.

Directions: The clippership inn is in a good place because you can go and visit Salem,ma. without any problems and you can visit other cities around salem.

• A very nice place to stay

• Stay away from The Clip Joint

I had some family medical issues come up and I called the Clipper Ship Inn months in advance and the said that they will not refund my 50% deposit. I had planned on rescheduling my trip to one year later and they said they can't do that. The help on the phone was rude snd couldn't care less about me or my situation. So if you plan on staying here,go at your own risk.

• A good family owned inn

We were very pleased with our suite at the Clipper Inn. We mistakenly though it would be an efficiency and didn't bring utensils to feed our dog Fred, but the staff, Wanda, gave us plates and spoons which helped a great deal.

The rooms were clean, the grounds were good for dog walking and the motel was very quiet. There was construction on the street in front of the inn, but it sits back enough from the road that we were not bothered by the noise.

I would recommend this inn and if we return to Salem, we would stay there again.

• Clipper Sh*t Inn

Clipper Ship Inn

As a touring band, we were really excited to be playing in Salem, MA, as none of us had ever been to the city before and we were all really interesting in seeing the sights and history of Salem.

The promoter that we worked with had booked us a room at the Clipper Ship Inn on the night of July 24th. We didn't check into the hotel until quite late that night, so there was little to no interaction with any of the employees of the Clipper Ship Inn. We were all needing a good night's sleep after being on the road for over 2 weeks at this point, far away from our home in Portland, OR, and wanted to wake up early enough to walk around the city for a while before we had to head to Providence for a show the next night.

Checkout was no problem, and once again there was really no interaction with any of the employees.

After Providence, we all agreed that we didn't really get to spend enough time in Salem, so we drove back the night after we played in Providence, and tried to find another hotel closer to the city center.

All the hotels we called were incredibly expensive, and it's not that we're poor, but we wanted to be budget-wise and not spend too much money to get us into financial trouble.

My drummer, C, had called the Clipper Ship Inn earlier that day and asked what the rates were for a hotel room with 2 beds. He was quoted a price of $99 plus tax. This was a totally doable expense and we had no qualms with paying the amount even if it meant a bit of a further walk towards the places we wanted to go.

So, after a long day in the tour van again, we ended up back in Salem, and back at the Clipper Ship Inn.

We were greeted by an older lady at the front desk (NOT THE OWNER), who said that our room would be $135, much higher than the cost we were originally quoted earlier that day. When we explained this to her, she said that she could get us another room for $125.
    We then asked what was the least expensive room that was available. She then said that there was a room that was $85.
    WHAT?! Okay. A bit confusing. I wonder if she was just making up prices.

To get this out of the way quickly; we are a touring band of 4 people. We have tattoos, we have piercings, we have funny haircuts, but we're the nicest bunch you'll meet, and understand that our image may not bring us the best first-hand judgement that so many people like to pass upon us. We go out of our way to be polite and respectful, with hopes it will bring us the same.

That being said, I was with my drummer in the lobby booking the hotel room, while my other 2 bands members were outside waiting in the van.

We agreed on getting the $85 hotel room. Ran the card through, got our hotel key.

I went to the hotel room to check it out, while C parked the Ford E150 Van + trailer in tow. A few minutes after I got into the hotel room, my other band mate, S, came in and said that "the owner is really pi**ed off and wants you to go talk to her right now".

Confused, and totally exhausted and not wanting to deal with any more stress that day, I waited in the hotel room that we had just paid for, waiting for my driver and 4th band member to return to the room.

Meanwhile, while S and I were standing in the hotel room trying to figure out what was going on, the OWNER stormed into our room, and said "Come on, let's go, you're not staying here. Give me your key NOW".

I'm 28 years old. I just paid a good chunk of change for a place to rest my head, and I haven't been spoken to this way since I was a child. I simply looked at her and then walked past her and went to go find C.

He was in the lobby at that point, because he had also just had an interaction with this nasty lady as well, and trying to explain to the older lady that had given us our hotel room key what was going on.

The owner (SUZANNE SULLIVAN) *stormed* in, and started yelling at us to get out of her hotel and that she was going to call the police on us if we didn't. She then started saying that we couldn't have 4 people in a room, when we were never asked in the first place how many people we had. We had simply asked for a room with 2 beds, which is what we have been doing since the beginning of the tour - WITH NO PROBLEMS.

She then started saying some really strange things and going back and forth, saying that she remembered us from the prior stay, and that we had parked our vehicle in front of the "fire gate". We parked where we could and there were no signs anywhere stating that there was a "fire gate". We had asked where to park, and we were told to park where we could find room.

The real kicker is when, amongst her yelling and profanity (calling us "a**holes", "jacka**es"), said to us "I've never had to deal with people *like you* before".

We of course knew that "people like you" most likely meant "people with tattoos, and people who won't tolerate ***", and so when I questioned her on what she meant by that, she changed the subject and just simply kept saying that she would call the police on us! We were calm the entire time, and had done nothing wrong.

She kept walking outside, pretending like she was calling the police, and then playing with her cell phone.
    When she came back in, we asked for the owner or manager. She said we wasn't privileged to give that information.

We remembered the other (nice) lady calling her Suzanne earlier on. When we asked "Suzanne" for HER name, she said it was "Jill".

We called her bluff, and all she could repeat was that she was going to call the police.

So, we didn't stay the night, and trying to get a refund was like pulling teeth. The $85+tax is still showing up on our statement, and if it's still there a few days after I write this, then it will be disputed.

Reading several other reviews of this place make me think that this lady is a serious scam artist, and is severely ignorant, rude, mean, nasty, judgmental, and wants to see her business run into the ground.

Not to mention that the previous time we stayed her, we had bug-bites in the morning, the room was filthy, the shower didn't work, and there was no remote control for the television.

And free wifi? None.

Stay away from this place, especially if you don't look like Jack or Jane Smith, even if you have money to spend on a hotel room.

I'd rather spend a day's paycheck on the Hilton to be treated with even a moderate amount of respect that this woman would not show at all.

I wonder if she threatens to call the police on anyone who questions her.

Thanks, Suzanne Sullivan, I.E. "Jill".

Directions: Good luck finding the place.

• Beautiful Bricks

The Clipper Ship Inn is a beautiful motel - made of bricks. The brickwork is great - lots of little details that you don't notice at first. The staff were extremely helpful - answering a lot of questions, and providing maps, brochures, magazines and event schedules.
    The room was very big, with a nice area for dining - lots of room around the beds. The bedding in our room was the best - deep red, the towells were deep red as well. It was such a nice change from the usual flowery bedspreads (although I just checked the website and the bedspreads look flowery!).
    There's a restaurant across the road with excellent food. I think it was a pizza shop but there were lots of other items on the menu.
    Breakfast was included.

Directions: Just as you enter Salem going south on Route 1A you go over a bridge - the motel is just after this bridge.
    - 40 Bridge Street, Route 1A

More about Clipper Ship Inn

Where to Stay in Salem?

by fraidybat

My friend and I want to take a 5 day trip to Salem MA this fall. (Sept, Oct or Nov.) The local hotels seem booked already. If we need to stay in a hotel outside of Salem, where is the most practical in terms of taking transit into Salem? We don't know the area at all.
Thanks!
(We're travelling from Toronto, Canada)

Re: Where to Stay in Salem?

by Easty

Since Salem is a suburb of Boston, there are many hotels in the area. I would look into the towns of Danvers, Peabody, and Wakefield. On one of my trips to Salem, I stayed in Wakefield because Salem was out of my price range. From there, it took me 30 minutes to get there. It is not that bad driving around Salem. There was plenty of parking around the downtown area of Salem. Traffic can be heavy at times. But it is managable.

IMO, you can thoroughly do Salem in 1 or 2 days. There are many other places around Boston to see. Just something to keep in mind.

RE: Where to Stay in Salem?

by seasonedtraveler

Salem,MA is one of my favorite NE towns to visit. I have stayed
at many places but my favorite is the Clipper Ship Inn. Located in
Salem, you can not beat it for the price, service and location.
October is a tough month to book for weekend dates. The staff
is very helpful and the place is nessled on a large piece of land
on Rt 1A. Also, they have plenty of parking and a nice picnic
area. This place is a two minute drive to the downtown area.
There are two large garages for parking plus lots of off street
parking areas. Or you can walk to the downtown area which ever
you prefer. Cab service is also available at a nominal rate.
You should check out their website, www.clippershipinn.com.
Enjoy Salem!!!!!