18 Washington Square West, Salem, Massachusetts, 01970, United States

Booking.com Priceline.com Expedia.com

• nightmare in smellivision

The rooms in the hotel are absolutely miniscule. There was an unmistakable odor in the room. You can open the window, but that only makes it worse. The smell of smoke from the outside permeates the area. There is a park across the street. My suggestion is that if your options are the park or the hotel: choose the park to stay in.

• Nightmare

Horrible, unless you are looking for a loud, rowdy, sleepless weekend, stay away. I spent three nights, Thursday night was ok, but Friday & Saturday night were horrible, scary and sleepless. The hotel books events with loud music on weekends, even though the music can be heard throughout the old building. Then, when the events are over, the guests roam the hotel, presumably to carry the party on in their rooms and hallways. There were shouting matches, fights and lots of banging my door and, I presumed, other guests doors. While I was there, the police were called in twice,according to the desk clerk.. Calls to the management were met with curt replies of "we know" and "we can't predict how our guests will behave." The Hotel looks like a well run stately hotel, but, in fact, seems to make money catering to the local high school and hooligan set, letting them pay for drinks and then letting them loose in the hotel. I've traveled around the world, from fine hotels to hostels to refugee resettlement camps. This was the worst stay I have had, outside of a war zone. On my way out, I was offered a 25% refund.
    Pros: Well located relative to tourist sites, attractive old building.
    Cons: Rude management, loud parties on weekends, thumping bass laden music heard throughout hotel till past midnight (I was on the top/6th floor--must be worse on lower floors), drunken late teens & hooligans running through hall ways, banging on doors (in my experience 1:30-2:30 AM)

Unique Quality: loud parties every weekend

• AWitchypoo2's Profile Photo

Bewitching Hotel

The Hawthorne Hotel, grande dame of Salem, sits in the center of downtown atop a hill that leads past Nathanial Hawthorne’s statue to Pickering Wharf. Directly out the front door is Essex Street, the brick and cobblestone heart of the town. Wander down Essex to the eclectic shops, taverns, the visitors’ center, and the Peabody Essex Museum. Next door, you can sit in the shade and rest your feet in the sprawling park, the Commons. Follow the red lined historic path out the lobby’s side door to The House Of The Seven Gables and other historic sites. The Hawthorne’s central location allowed us to enjoy all the town has to offer without ever having to move our car out of the parking lot. You can even walk to the Macintyre District and The Ropes Mansion Garden which is the loveliest spot in town. If you are feeling adventurous, the Salem Willows and Forest River Park are just a short trolley ride from Essex Street.

Unique Quality: The Hawthorne’s rooms are spacious, clean, beautifully decorated, and each one that we stayed in was a little unique. These are not run of the mill hotel rooms, they reflect the old-world feeling of this quaint town.
    Nathaniel’s has a breakfast buffet to please everyone and The Tavern has the best lunches in town. The service is exemplary, the hotel employees love their jobs and it shows. I don’t agree with the negative comments, we never had any trouble with the staff or managers, they were very willing to assist with our needs.
    If you are looking for the true Salem experience, you must stay at The Hawthorne.
    We are from Philadelphia and have stayed at this hotel many times and are already booked to return in 2010.
    Check the Hawthorne’s website, they have several packages that vary with the seasons.

Directions: In the center of downtown Salem

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Great Location

The Hawthorne Hotel is one of the Historic Hotels of America. The hotel is beautiful and has an old world feel to it. The lobby has beautiful furnishings. The rooms have a Victorian feel to them with nice accents.

Our room was very nice with a four post bed , seating area, bathroom and chandelier. The bayhroom showed its age and definitely needs to be updated but otherwise the stay was very nice.

Unique Quality: Nathaniel's Restaurant in the hotel is a great place for breakfast. The food is awesome and so is the service.

• Worst hotel in the World

Do not stay here. Old nasty rooms-far from the usual quaint bed and breakfast. No air/heat working. Kitchen greasy, burnt, foul odors coming into your windows all day and night. Band still playing well past midnight. Management no help in any problem you may have-"fill out a card and send it in" is all they tell you. Very unhospitable..rather have slept in my car. Chest heaviness and choking during entire trip due to pollution. Run, dont walk away from this hotel!

Unique Quality: Peelin paint, old dirty mattresses, manager who can not solve one problem, wait staff cant get orders right, elevator takes 15 minutes to get to your room.

• EdinburghRoc's Profile Photo

We all meet face to face at last

Service was good as regards the room being clean and service at the bar.
    The room with a double bed had little room to move about.
    The Shawmut in Boston I was to find much better.

Still I enjoyed my stay.

Eggs Benedict was lovely.

I recommend the hotel most of the staff are very friendly.
    People do say hallo or good morning.
    Which I think is good.

Unique Quality: They allow you to bring your dog.

• EdinburghRoc's Profile Photo

Salem's top hotel.

Yes I would recommend this hotel its a little posh.
    There was not much room in my hotel room and the TV was very high up.
    View was not good.
    But clean quiet and comfy.

Eggs Benedict is to die for.
    Breakfast can be brought to your room.

The staff do say good-morning and smile
    so I found them to be friendly and acknowledge that you are there.
    There is a car park outdoors.

Unique Quality: Lovely hotel close to everything; its clean, the staff at least speak to you.
    It can be very busy with weddings meetings etc.

It has a cosy bar which serves food.

Directions: Short 15 minute walk from the railway station.
    Turn left out the station, turn right third street down.
    Turn right to Hawthorn Hotel.

• avanutria's Profile Photo

Lovely affordable Salem hotel

This was a quite nice hotel in downtown Salem, very close to just about everything. We got a walk-in rate as we hadn't made reservations, but I don't know how this compares to reserved rates. For an additional $10 at checkin we got a voucher for $20 worth of breakfast in the hotel restaurant for the morning, and the food was quite good as well.

The room was reasonably large and the bathroom was very well done and clean. There were ice machines in the stairwell, it took me a few minutes to find them. This hotel was quite nice inside and out, and I would stay there again.

Unique Quality: On the day of our checkout we asked if we could leave our car in the hotel parking lot for a few hours while we explored Salem. The manager cheerfully agreed, thereby saving us several dollars in parking meter fees!

(Do you like this tip? Please rate it, thanks!)

Directions: Near the Salem Witch Museum, off Route 1A by Salem Common.

• kazander's Profile Photo

In the middle of it all

This beautiful hotel is decorated entirely in an 18th century motif. It has 89 rooms, but during the month of October they fill up fast, as this is really the hotel of choice in Salem. They begin taking reservations for the following year 2 days after this years Halloween ends! You can get a great package deal that is for 2 nights stay as well as tickets for the annual Halloween ball that takes place inside the hotel. It's a bit pricey, but I'm sure a wonderful time.

many of the other hotels and B&B's in Salem require a 5 night minimum during halloween.

Unique Quality: The Hawthorne Hotel is rumored to be haunted. Visitors have claimed to have seen apparitions or to hear things in the middle of the night. Legend has it that there was a secret meeting room for seafaring men on the upper floor of the original building. Some unsavory events took place between someof the sailors that didn't get on too well. This may have something to do with the haunting. You may want to keep in mind that you may get an unexpected visitor when staying here. Although for some it might be the ultimate Halloween experience. Personally, a ghost sighting would be too scary for me!

• gosiaPL's Profile Photo

When in Hawthorne's hometown...

This is a full-service hotel in another convenient location, within walking distance to Salem's historic places. The hotel has its own blog-diary so you may check what the hotel's guests have said about it.

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo

Salem's prominent hotel

I'm a daytripper to Salem, but my best recommendation would be the Hawthorne Hotel. It's listed as an Historic Hotel and has a great location on main street in the center of everything. You would be next to the Commons...or the Green... and a stone's throw to the witch museum...walk to water and shops, restaurants, attractions of all sorts. The lobby is lovely.

Unique Quality: A vintage hotel with a fabulous central location...noted for elegance, tradition, and a long record of a very good reputation.

• RhondaRuth's Profile Photo

A stately Federal-style hotel ...

My husband and I stayed here on a Valentine's weekend one year and it was lovely. From the beautifully decorated rooms to the wonderful hall, restaurant and lounge.
    They have dinner & stay packages which is what we used for a Valentine's stay.

Unique Quality: Three rooms for dining: Nathaniel's Restaurant, the Tavern on the Green, or the Museum Café. The only one I haven't tried is the Cafe. The other two are great!

Directions: On the Common.

• BuickMackane's Profile Photo

How to handle the shortage of Salem hotel rooms!

Hawthorne Hotel is a classic old hotel at the center of the action downtown, but in season Salem simply does NOT have enough accommodations for the thousands of people who descend on the city. I noticed that, since I've moved back to Massachusetts, they've built a large new Best Western downtown, so that might help a little bit.

However, just about every hotel or motel chain you can think of is represented in the neighboring towns of Danvers and Peabody (see next paragraph). If they're still sold out, don't despair, because you can most likely either find an oceanfront room in Gloucester, a quick highway trip to the very end of Route 128 North, or head further inland toward Woburn (Exit 36 on Route 128 South). Woburn really isn't a tourist destination, but it's a great place to snap up a last-minute room.

If you have pets with you, they are welcome at only a few places in this region. The best place to go is the Homestead Studio Suites in Peabody. They charge a fee, but it's worth the peace of mind knowing you can travel safely with Fluffy!

More about Hawthorne Hotel

Bed and Breakfast on a budget

by moiraistyx

Can anyone recommend a bed and breakfast in salem that is convenient to the local attractions and restaurants?

Re: Bed and Breakfast on a budget

by donpaul77

I am assuming you mean Salem, MA?

I stayed in the Morning Glory B&B and it was a lovely place. The house is a gorgeous colonial and the rooms are quaint with nice common areas. The breakfast wasn't spectacular, but there are some really breakfast place nearby on Pickering Wharf (Bells Luna comes to mind).

Also, the Hawthorne Hotel is nice, but may not be exactly what you are looking for.

Also, I've never stayed here but used to live around the corner from the Salem Inn, it always looked really nice, though it's on a busy road.

Comments