225 Derby Street, Salem, Massachusetts, 01970, United States

The Salem Waterfront Hotel & Marina
Orbitz.com Priceline.com Travelocity

• thought it was going to be better

We arrived & the staff was courteous & above and beyond accommodating.
    The pool was not nearly as warm as promised. Little children running down the hallway when they should be sleeping. The beds were hard and the view was less than desirable. For being in the center of Salem (which has changed beyond recognition) the price is right.

Directions: large smoke stacks

More about Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites

Nice Stay at The Salem Waterfront Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member eurotrek

We recently stayed 4 nights at the Salem Waterfront Hotel and though a bit pricey, we found the hotel to be a great choice. We had a very big room with 2 queen size beds and nice bedding; new carpet, nice chairs, desk, free internet service; and great bathroom with nice amenities. Very pleasant decor in very good taste. Our room overlooked the parking lot but we were able to see a bit of the harbor and downtown Salem. We were on a winter package that included a continental breakfast in the pub ( all but 1 morning). Good bagels, muffins & great coffee.
Hotel was not crowded when we were there ( over New Years), so we did not have a problem with parking , but parking lot is small. Hotel is right on wharf with lots of restaurants and main sites within easy walking distance.
The hotel itself was very nice but there were a few things we didn't like: small decorative pillows on bed did not appear clean, so we kept putting them in the closet and each day the housekeeping put them back on bed. Also the shower took way to long to get any water pressure going and the shower head was a small water-saver type like you would find at the beach to wash off sand...not a nice shower head like we have come to expect in nice hotels. Finally, we paid for a package with breakfast but on last day we only had a bagged breakfast of muffin and orange juice and front desk didn't seem too concerned with our disappointment.
All in all we enjoyed our stay and would certainly stay here again if we could get a good rate.

Hotel on Pickering Wharf

by RhondaRuth about Best Western Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites

Features over 101 rooms, ground floor shopping, a family style restaurant and lounge, and convenient on premises banking. Centrally located on Derby Street in downtown Salem by Pickering Wharf parking lot.

Construction is expected to be completed in May 2004. I'm looking forward to trying out their Regatta Cafe & Pub some Friday night! Many of the rooms are equipped with kitchens which is great for a family that doesn't want to eat out for every meal.

Or eat in their Regatta Cafe & Pub which offers casual dining in a bistro atmosphere.

Check their website for rates and availabiltiy.

Over promised, under delivered

by TripAdvisor Member KRW-7

As a woman business traveler traveling alone, the safety and security of the hotel are very important to me.

Upon entering the parking lot of this hotel, I was lucky to park in the last parking spot available. I was planning to go out for dinner that evening, but when I learned that I would have to park my car in the parking garage across the street if there were no more spaces available at the hotel, I decided to not to travel out for dinner.

The restaurant at the hotel is called The Regatta Pub. I learned from the front desk clerk that the hotel didn't offer room or any kind of delivery service for food. The clerk informed me that I could call the front desk from my room and the clerk would connect me to the Pub so I could order "carry out" service.

My room didn't have a menu for the Pub. At the front desk one of the employees went to the Pub to get a menu for me to take back to my room.

I was ready to order dinner, so, I called the front desk and the telephone rang about nine times before a clerk answered the phone and then connected me to the Pub. The telephone rang and rang at the Pub until finally a voice message came on stating their hours of operation and instructing the caller to leave a message. I hung up and called the front desk clerk back to explain what had happened and he said he would connect me again. The telephone rang and rang until the voice message picked up now for the second time. I hung up and decided to call back in a bit. Fifteen minutes later I called the front desk clerk to connect me and for the third time and I received the voice message again. This time I decided to leave a message that I was staying at the hotel and would like to order take out. I gave my room number and said I will await their return call. After about thirty minutes with no return call, I decided to go down to the Pub and place my order in person. At this point I'm frustrated, hungry and tired.

As I entered the Pub there were no staff members present. I waited a few minutes and a pleasant server who appears overwhelmed makes eye contact with me to tell me he'll be with me in a moment. Since there were no other employees or management present that I could see, I decided to spare the waiter of hearing about all my disappointments. I waited a couple more minutes, he took my order and told me it would be ready in fifteen minutes.

When I got to my room I was anxious for a hearty meal. I ordered a salad of mixed greens and a chicken breast sandwich. The menu indicated that the chicken sandwich came with fries and cold slaw. I did not receive the cold slaw. The quality of the chicken breast was poor. So poor that I couldn't eat it. It was one more thing to add to my disappointments.

Approximately one hour later just as I got into bed my phone rang. I thought it was the Pub finally returning my call. It wasn't. It was a front desk clerk asking me if there was water running in my room because there was a leak on the first floor and they thought it was coming from room. It wasn't. I never received a return call from the Pub.

To say the least, I had a frustrating and disappointing stay. In my opinion, I feel the hotel over promises and underdelivers. Although I found the staff to be pleasant, the hotel fails in guest services, convenience, food quality and attention to detail.

Unfortunately, based on my experience, I will not be recommending or returning to the Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites in the future.

The place to stay in salem

by TripAdvisor Member dundeetripper

Trip advisor strikes again. Salem isn't that big and you can walk around easily but this hotel is in a great location. We stayed at the rear of the hotel on the second floor in a massive room with two double beds. Higher floors may have views of the harbour area. breakfast is free with cereals and bagels etc served in the bar area. Parking is also free and this is handy due to its central location. It looks very new and was very clean. The staff at the front desk were knowledgable. The cot for our son was put into the room whilst we went out exploring. There is also a drive in bank just across the parking lot which is handy. We stayed for 2 nights as we had just arrived on a flight into boston from the uk. We managed to get around all the sights in two days. We had a fantastic meal at Rockafellas, lobster and steak was just brill all washed down with some local beer. We can also recommend reds sandwich shop, real old fashioned and the edgwater cafe for mexican food.

Best Place to Stay in Salem! Great Location

by TripAdvisor Member CJFROMNJ2006

This hotel is the best place to stay in Salem. I stayed there from 10/29/06 to 11/1/06. The rooms and bathroom were very clean. The front desk was very professional and helpful. The bar/restaurant downstairs has good food and makes mean drinks!! And the best feature was the location. You are a short walk from everything. There are restaurants all around you and the graveyard, museum, mall, Hawthorne Hotel, wax museum, etc are just a short walk away. I would definetly stay here again without a doubt.

Excellent - would go back again

by TripAdvisor Member shortysnh

For a one night getaway, we booked a room with 2 queens. The room was oversized, immaculate, and had comfy beds. The staff allowed us to check in earlier and couldn't have been any nicer in our dealings with them for directions, parking alternatives (for the second car) and other info.

The location cannot be beat, no matter what time of year, as anything you'd want is within walking distance...restaurants, shops, bars, etc. In the summertime, it is a very congested area, as it in Salem's main tourist area, so I would probably go back in the off-season again.

Create place, good people do not get the Romance Package waste

by TripAdvisor Member sarah4488

My husband and I stayed at the hotel in Jan. 2007. We reserved the Romance Package which included Roses and chocolates and a complementary breakfast. The hotel was wonderful and the room was specious. Very clean and the bed was comfy. The people in the hotel were great expecially the bartenders in the Ragatta Pub. The only think I would change is that I would not get the Romance Package. They gave up two small chocolates and two roses. The complimentary breakfast was a bagged apple, muffin and orange juice...very disappointing and misleading. All and all we had a great time. I would stay there again.

Certainly worth staying there

by TripAdvisor Member HaagseBluf

We stayed one night in this relatively new hotel at an excellent location. The room was very tastefully decorated and spacious, the beds were heaven, the bathroom clean and equiped with a shower I like (high pressure). The pool was okay and the barman not rude at all. Breakfast was better than expected and the staff most helpful.

All in all excellent value for money (eventhough the place is not exactely cheap); we had a great stay!!

Great location, fair experience

by TripAdvisor Member LisaAC

I had a mini suite with dry bar. Furniture was nice, comfortable. Great comfy king-size bed. Shower was awesome - high water pressure, almost like a heavy, dreamy massage! Staff were friendly, nice to deal with. The location could not be better; the hotel is right on the wharf and its shops and restaurants, and is an easy walk into the heart of town.

The furniture, lamps, and appliances were kind of dusty. The microwave, especially, and the ice bucket and tray were thick with dust.

The restaurant doesn't do breakfast, which was a little disappointing, but there are places nearby for that. I did have a coffee maker and coffee in my room.

The television in the room next to mine was blasting quite a bit. I called the front desk and they said they would deal with it, but it didn't get better. Loud music started from somewhere around 10:30 Sunday night and the tv next door was loud again the next morning. It was pretty bad.

Great place to stay

I enjoyed staying here because it was clean and comfortable and close to everything. The staff were friendly and approachable and helpful. However it is pricey so would not be suitable for a budget traveller. Also if you eat at the inhouse restaurant it is expensive too. The Salem trolley stops close by and the nearby wharf has good shops to browse. The phone was free for 1 hour and then 10cents a minute. There is no laundry facility. Most things I wanted to see/do were within walking distance. They have coffee in the lobby.

Places to Stay

by Naylo11

I just discovered this wonderful site and signed up immediately! I've been reading all the helpful things everyone had to say about their visits to Salem (of course, after I already posted my first question about what things I should definitlely see while there, which seems kind of silly now) but I forgot to ask if anyone had an opinion about the Salem Inn. I'm thinking of staying there. What do you think?? Thanks!!

RE: Places to Stay

by SALEMS-LOT

It's not bad there,but I always stay at the Salem Waterfront Hotel on Pickering Wharf.The place has a beautiful view,you're right on the water,and the employees there are very nice and polite.Here is the website:http://www.salemwaterfronthotel.com/res.html

Comments