2.5 out of 5 stars2.5 Stars

The complexThe complex

Travel Tips for Saugus

Historic House on a Historic Site

by grandmaR

This restored seventeenth century house was the home of the Iron Works manager. It is an original house, whereas the rest of the mill is a reconstruction.

I know that we toured this house when we were at the Iron Works, but I think it was too dark for us to take any photos inside. I'm pretty sure that this house is not handicapped accessible, but there doesn't seem to be much other information about it on the internet.

Water

by grandmaR

The Saugus Iron Mill is located along the banks of the Saugus River. When we were there, the area where ships would have docked was choked with plants, but one of the main reasons that this mill was located here was that the river could provide power.

The mill wheels are still operational, but now the NPS notes that there are over two hundred species of plants, thirty five species of birds, ten species of mammals, four species of reptiles and amphibians, and at least four species of fish and numerous species of invertebrates If was to go to Saugus today, I would know that not only could I see the evolution of manufacturing in the Americas, but also such trees as white and scarlet oaks, American beech, shagbark hickory, black walnut, black cherry, black willow, red and silver maples, and boxelder and many marsh plants such as the narrow-leaved cattail. The tall wetland vegetation provides excellent habitat for nesting red-wing blackbirds and other bird species and breeding fish, such as the fourspine stickleback.

At our home in RI we had wildflowers similar to those at the Saugus Iron Works such as jack-in-the-pulpit, skunk cabbage, jewelweed, goldenrod, and several species of asters, and some ferns. Since we visited in the summer, the goldenrod and the cattails would have been the primary plants that we would have seen.

Homer Would Be in Paradise

by cjg1

"Roadtripping for Doughnuts"

We ventured to Saugus for the doughnuts at Kane's. We saw the show Doughnut Paradise on the Travel Channel and knew we had to check this place out. Liz and I are doughnuts fans but what really caught her eye was the giant cinnamon swirl. So in the car we hopped for yet another road trip centered around food we saw on TV.

"Kane's: The House of Doughnuts"

Saugus Iron Works

by Avryle

"The oldest iron works in the country"

I wish I had more to say about Saugus, but this is the only thing I've ever seen or done here. I'd heard about the Saugus Iron Works in my historical archaeology class in college and decided to visit while in the neighborhood.

See the "Things to do" section for more information on Saugus Iron Works

The Cradle of American Industry

by grandmaR

The NPS has developed an Educational program in conjunction with various National Historic Sites called "Exploring the Real Thing".

Target Audience Grades 1-8

Class Size 28 students
1:10 chaperone to student ratio

Cost FREE

Availability Available mid-September through October and April through mid-June. Summer programs available by reservation.

Accessibility The program is wheelchair accessible with advanced notice. Call the site for further information.

Food Student groups can bring lunches and eat outdoors at picnic tables or on the grass.

Restrooms Wheelchair accessible Restrooms are available.

...Students visit the blast furnace with its twin 18-foot bellows where they learn about the process of turning raw material (iron ore) into pig iron (cast iron). Students then visit the forge with its 500-pound trip hammer to find out how pig iron was strengthened to create wrought iron suitable for wholesale distribution. Finally, students go to the rolling and slitting mill where they find out how large bars of wrought iron were heated and put through rollers to create a product for sale to blacksmiths. The program culminates with a blacksmith demonstration that allows students to see the process of turning iron into everyday objects like nails. Each site is powered by waterwheels...

Comments