190 Meadow Street, PO Box 237, South Lee, Massachusetts, 01260 , United States

Satisfaction Poor

More about Oak n' Spruce Resort

Beautiful Bershires!

by TripAdvisor Member TommyJo

My Mother, sister & I shared a lovely relaxing week from September 16 to 23 at Oak n' Spruce Resort. We booked a two bedroom unit as an exchange through Interval International.
The master bedroom had a king size bed, and the other a queen size, each with it's own bathroom (and jacuzzi tub in the master suite). The rooms were clean, we had plenty of towels and a fully equipped kichen. The living room sofa and chair could use some reupholstery, but the beds were great.

We used the large indoor pool almost every day and the hot tub. We intended to play miniature golf, but there were so many wonderful attractions in the vicinity that we had no opportunity to do so. Must sees are the Hancock Shaker Village and the Norman Rockwell Museum. There are many other historic homes and "cottages" built by wealthy New Yorkers as summer homes. We were too soon for the fall folliage, but the country roads made for lovely driving and exploring. We even found a nice winery. Best of all, everything was close by, and great restaurants too!

Nice Surprise

by TripAdvisor Member mimimike

My family and I just got back from a one week stay at Oak n Spruce resort. I must say I was pleasantly surprised. The reviews for this resort were not so great so I was worried I had wasted an exchange for this place. The unit I was given was new, the unit was very clean and large, there was a nice balcony with a table and chairs. The beds were conformable, there was a T.V. in every room and the kitchen was well stocked.
The staff was friendly, the game room was great for the kids, the kids needed money for the games(but they got tickets when they scored points, they exchanged tickets for candy and toys)
There was also daily activities organised by the resort staff.
There is a little movie theatre near the game room, they would show older movies , but my children really enjoyed anyway.
The pool was great, it’s the changing room that needs a little refresher.
My overall experience was great. (The newer units are great, I don't know about the older units)

Mold N Mildew

by TripAdvisor Member DerekNYC66

The Oak N Spruce, or as we called it, The Mold N Mildew!
A Friend and I were given a one week time share from his parents. We traded it in to go to the Oak N Spruce in western Mass.
The location of the resort is great. It's right off the Mass pike and convenient to the surrounding area and all the great little towns in the Birkshires.
We arrived on a Saturday mid-day, and attempted to check in a bit early. This place has rules and they are very serious about them. When they say check in is at 5pm, they mean NOT one minute before. One of the other rules is that you are not permitted to check out one minute past 10am on the day you depart. This would mean that if someone was in our until prior to us, that would give the resort 7 hours to clean it. The unit looked clean when we finally got in, but we started to notice a thick layer of dust on the lights, and some of the furniture. The master bedroom has a whirlpool tub right next to the bed, so the smell of mold and mildew was strong in that room.
The toilet overflowed when we first checked in, this is when we saw how horrible their cleaning ability was. The woman showed up almost an hour later with just a towel, moped up the water and walked out. Never did she use any cleaner, so thankfully there was dish soap and a mop.
The kitchen is FULLY loaded. I was very surprised that they have thought of everything you would need to prepare meals.
We had friends stay with us, and then others come later in the week. So we wanted to get new sheets and towels for them. You are only permitted to do an exchange, and you can't go to them, they have to come to you. That request took almost 3 hours, we finally gave up and the desk told us that we didn't have to be there for the exchange.
The indoor pool (which was somthing that we were looking forward to) was very dark and smelled horrible. So we did not opt to go to the pool during our stay. A few sky lights would be a huge help for that area.
They do have tons of games that you are able to barrow and bring back to your unit for 24 hours. There are tons of arcade games, and a few pool tables, so there seemed like a lot to do if you were bored.
I would recommend the Oak N Spruce if you don't have allergies to the mold, and if you don't mind cleaning your own unit each day. Service once during the week would have been nice.

Enjoyed the break

by TripAdvisor Member Andyac

Booked a bonus week through RCI at Oak 'n' Spruce. Wondered if we'd find much to do as we went between the summer &^ winter season. Happy with the resort - had a 2bed lock-out - master bedroom was a great size and of course had a jacuzzi bath. 2nd bedroom was a fair size, but we didn't really use it. Good sized living/dining kitchen area.
Enjoyed the pool but found the mem's changing area dirty - complained to the management who tidyed it up a bit.
The 2nd pool was being refurbished while we were there.
Used the laundry facilities (took quarters) but not the games area.
Visited the Norman Rockwell museum at Stockbridge & the Shaker Village at Hancock - both excellent. Shopped at the outlet mall just up the road from South Lee but didn't find much to buy.

Great place!

by TripAdvisor Member i'vebeen

I live in the southern part of the country, and own timeshare in Florida. This year i and my fiance decided to visit our friend who lives in Lenox, MA. Insted of staying with her we decided to exchange our week from vacation village at weston to Oak'n Spruce. To tell the truth, i thought that i wouldn't like the resort. But than we checked in i was suprised, the units were nice, clean and nicely furnished. The resort has more ammenities than any resort i've been before. I loved the pools (outdoor and indoor), in the evenings we enjoied the hot tub. I liked the fitness center. It was so cool to sit in the porch and enjoy the view of this beautiful area.Every day we had something to do, exploring the area, we visited museums, art galleries, shakers village, theater, we were boating, swimming, horse back riding. We enjoyed the restaurants, and shopping. It's a great place, i would definetly refer my friends there.And we might go there for skiing.

Could be better

by TripAdvisor Member Telecommie

The room was a great size, 2 bedroome, 2 entrances, 2 baths, nice size kitchen, sofa, 3 TVs but no DVD players nor VCRs, have to rent them. No high speed internet access wireless or wired, have to use dialup or go to the Prime Outlets Food Court (about 5 - 10 minutes away) for their "Wireless Access", which I did. No shampoo, conditioner, hair dryers, not enough soap, rooms were quite dusty, visible stains on the carpet floor, not enough towels given to guests and most important, No lifeguards on duty at any of the 3 pools.

Now the good, a movie theater for the kids (mostly older movies), ping pong, miniature golf, basketball is free but the game room will cost you. No restaurant on site, will need to travel to Lee, Stockbridge or Great Barrington (which is advised).

Totally fine

by TripAdvisor Member MPD-NYC

My parents booked a week here as part of a time share. I went with low expectations and I was pleasantly surprised.

My husband and I, our 18-month-old baby and my brother all joined my parents for the weekend and overall the place was fine. More of a condo feeling than a resort, though, which is what we needed for this particular trip. Expect to bring everything you might want including food, paper products (unless you are okay with the scratchy cheap stuff!) and toiletries. There is a good grocery store about 15 minutes away, though.

My parents loved being there, they had tickets to Tanglewood 6 out of 7 days. They would have lost it if this place were in the middle of nowhere. Probably the best thing about this place is that there are ots of cultural attractions to enjoy nearby.

My brother got to ride his bike in the countryside and loved that (he mostly rides in New York City!)

With the baby we had a good time in the pool and walking along the country road near the resort. The game room was totally kitchy and fun for a while, we would have gotten tired of it had we been there for very long.

Totally acceptable for a low key time with low maintenance, make your own fun people. Don't go if you have super picky, high end travel companions.

Pleasantly suprised

by TripAdvisor Member Anonymus

My in-laws who own time share at another resort, traded in some points to visit Massachusetts where we live. The resort is nestled amongst a mountain with beautiful views of the foliage.

I am very selective where I stay. I have to admit, that this resort was very lovely. The units had been done completely over and were decorated in a leaf/outdoor motif. They were clean and spacious. I would come back here myself or recommend it to anyone else.

We were in a two bedroom unit that had a pullout sofa. The pull out sofa bed was not comfortable at all. Two days later, our backs still hurt. If you can, get a larger unit versus the sofa bed.

Another reviewer commented on the lack of towels. We found that we had plenty of towels. I had brought some and didn't need them. Overall, I would recommend this resort.

Great condo in a super location

by TripAdvisor Member emacv

We had booked a one bedroom unit but on check-in were upgraded to a 2BR, 2 bath unit. It was nicely furnished and very comfortable. I appreciated the Trip Advisor tip to bring a hair dryer. The Berkshires in October were beautiful and this area is filled with interesting places to visit. We especially enjoyed the Norman Rockwell Museum, the Shaker Museum and do not miss the Clark Art Institute in Williamstown. This is a gem of a museum renowned for its holdings of French Impressionist paintings. Next trip we will visit Cooperstown and the Baseball Hall of Fame as it is just 50 miles away.

time share tour

by TripAdvisor Member troutmaster

My wife and I were taken on a tour of the facility with an agreement to consider a purchase. At the conclusion we were treated with respect and taken to a holding room to receive the promised gas vouchers from Gas Up America", etc.. for our time and trouble. "Gas Up America" never honored 2 of the gas receipts we sent them and we were stiffed for the gas money and had to spend our own money on lunch as well. No one has ever contacted us about this even though we have sent two letters demanding they fulfill their end of the deal. If you can't trust an organization for $40.00 in gas and lunch why would anyone trust them to buy a time share???

William & Esther Emmons