1 South Shore Drive, South Yarmouth, Massachusetts, 02664, United States
Travelocity Expedia.com Booking.com

Costs 98% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Red Jacket Beach Resort & Spa

Nice location but too pricy for the basics....

by TripAdvisor Member summersparkle

I just got home from a week at the Red Jacket Inn. The resort location was excellent and the reason that I don't think the rooms are 100% overpriced. The beach at the resort is small but nice. It was never crowded and there were plenty of beach chairs and towels for everyone. I did not use the indoor or outdoor pools but people seemed to be enjoying them. If you are an exercise junkie, the fittness equipment is not impressive, there are 3 treadmills and an elliptical. If you are looking for something to do, talk to Judy at the info desk, she is wonderful. This hotel has basic rooms, I think they should be a lot nicer for the price per night, $325. We had a small deck off of our room, it was nice, we had a nice view of the river.

I enjoyed parasailing with GoldCoast Parasail, the crew was professional and the experience was a ton of fun. The lobsters at the Lobster Boat resturant were the best we had all week, the resturant is probably a mile from the hotel.

To sum things up... the beach is nice, hotel rooms are basic, and a little pricy.

Never disappoints!

by TripAdvisor Member Bestkittyever

We have been staying here for more than 30 years, first as a young married couple, then with our kids, now with friends or by ourselves. In all, we've probably been here 8 times. Our rooms have always been updated and clean, not the Ritz but pleasant and comfortable, although the bathrooms are small. We always get the breakfast special and it's great, sometimes the box lunch, but we always go out for dinner. The Cape is filled with great restaurants, even with kids. It's a superb location to stay-put or from which to explore the Cape and the beach and the pools are well-kept. We have stayed Riverside, Oceanfront and Oceanview, never Poolside. The only time (once) we left early was because of terrible weather that was not letting up.

Nice Family Vacation on the Cape

by TripAdvisor Member BostonM42

If you don't expect a high end resort you can enjoy your stay here. It's a happy place, with something for everyone. Just not top, top of the line. The Cape doesn't really offer any easy accomodation choices, just compromises. The room was clean, just oh so basic. The place is truly filled with the under 10 crowd. However I was with my two teenagers who had a wonderful time. They fished from the jetty and from the dock where the jet skis were (after the rental folks left). At night they enjoyed the hot tub and the indoor pool. The outdoor pool seemed nice also. Lunch by the pool was pricey but OK, saving a drive to somewhere. It's a family place, with extended families taking multiple rooms. One night a large group sat right outside our deck, enjoying cocktails and talking loudly till pretty late. There's a cocktail lounge and an OK restaurant. The people were friendly, both the guests and the staff. There was an older woman who was at the concierge desk. She was knowledgable and eager to recommend places. There are lots of hotels that really don't like kids, even mature teenagers, so it's nice to see them welcome here. I'm not sure I'd come without kids, though I did see a few couples alone. It also seemed like a very safe place where you could let your older kids have a little freedom. The grounds are nice and the beach quiet. The view of the river is probably the best feature. Overall, a resonably good choice for a relaxing family vacation.

Poor customer service

by TripAdvisor Member PoetAtHeart

I made an in-person reservation at the spa and the day of the appointment, the girl who made the appointment got the order wrong. She insisted that I did not make the appointment that I said I did despite having a family member as a witness. No apology and no attempt to work it out to my satisfaction. I was upset and I just left. Hotal manager said I was charged for a "no show". She did agree to take the charge off but only after arguing with me. I was stunned. I thought the customer was always right (and actually I was.).

Perfect Location for Kids

by TripAdvisor Member Sine-Wave

The location is the reason to choose this resort; but please realize that this is a resort for families with children, not couples seeking romance and quiet. We were a party of 5 adults, 3 children and 1 infant; our 5 day stay was worth the very high cost, because the kids had a great time, and the adults did not have to cook or clean. The rooms are not 5-star; but they are air-conditioned and relatively modern and clean, with cable tv, a hair dryer and phone. It was nice for the adults to have private outdoor patios to use in the evening while the kids were inside playing. The main bonus is that all rooms have refrigerators. The first thing we did was shop for groceries at a supermarket less than 2 miles away. We saved a great deal of both time and money by eating some breakfasts, every lunch, most beverages and every snack out of our supply of food from the refrigerator. We did not want to interrupt the kids in the middle of the day to drive anywhere for lunch. The cost of one hamburger at the poolside grill was very high; but the food at both the grill and at breakfast in the dining room was delicious. The grounds are very well-maintained. There is an indoor pool; so if it rains, the kids would not have been bored. The outdoor pool was not overly crowded and there were ample seats for lounging and dining; the indoor pool was less crowded. There are only 4 fitness machines, and they are on the balcony overlooking the indoor pool, so it was too hot to use them in that location. The private beach is one of the best in New England: large, not crowded, not rocky, extremely clean. The resort provided towels, beach chairs and umbrellas. The kids were happy to spend the entire day every day at the beach or in one of the two pools. There was a staff member who walked around the beach and pool areas taking orders for cold drinks. The spa is overpriced, and be sure to clarify the price of services beforehand; but the services were very good. The service overall was excellent. Only one warning: one of the concierges recommended a restaurant that turned out to be truly horrible. Use another source to make dining decisions.

Great location

by TripAdvisor Member suekpti

The grounds were beautiful, with flower beds everywhere you looked, full of a variety of different flowers. The beach was groomed while we were there and very clean. The sand was soft and the upper beach was hard packed so that running or playing sports was easy. There is a large volleyball net on the beach which was almost always available. There weren't many waves, so our boogie boards were just used as floats, but it was very enjoyable. There were plenty of umbrellas and chairs to borrow, so don't bring them from home. Another nice feature were the big beach towels that are also plentiful. So leave your towels at home and you won't have sandy damp towels hanging around in your room. It was easy to get scheduled for jet skis and my teenage daughters loved it. It was kind of expensive, but they got a full hour and it was a fun experience. The poolside eating area is really nice for coffee and danish in the morning and we had a full breakfast in the restaurant one morning. The food was very good with generous portions, but a little pricey inside. The oceanview room was nice with a private balcony, but the "queen size" beds were just a little wider than a double. The internet is only wireless, but I didn't have a wireless card in my laptop, so I was out of luck. The only negative thing I found was the number of young kids in the indoor pool area at night, totally unsupervised. I was in there with my two teenage girls, and I was the only adult in there. There were about 10 kids, some looked not more than 7, with no parents in sight. The older siblings were probably watching the younger ones, but it's still dangerous. There was a bonfire on the beach one night, and it was fun to be out there after dark. A guitar and some singing would have made it perfect. The staff was very professional and friendly. I would definitely go back.

Big Differences

by TripAdvisor Member Takeatripwithme

I've visited the Red Jacket since I've been 20 years old <31> years. My family discovered it after staying at the Blue Water several times. I have to say I was rather disappointed with my recent visit. I came here with my parents years ago....brought my children yearly until they were grown....and now have ventured back for a quick getaway with my husband. It has changed. Although the amenities are many, proximity to water sports, beach, safety for children to roam, etc. we were distressed to see throngs of people walking from nearby cottage rentals to use the Red Jacket's "private" beach. We couldn't find a lounge chair although we were paying guests. The outdoor and indoor pool are overrun with children and all chairs are covered with towels that people have used to claim, although they appear empty for hours. Even the adult only putting green, and hot tub are cramped with kids, although there are clearly posted signs stating age restrictions. Rooms had a damp odor and the prices are rediculous. Renting a townhouse is as expensive as touring Europe. They say you can't go back.....they were right......we won't.

Made for Families

by TripAdvisor Member ajhhmc

We have been going to the cape now for 4 summers with another family. Total we are 4 adults 5 kids ranging from 10 down to 2 1/2 years of age. We have for the past stayed in a motel like place two resorts down which offered ample rooms and a small indoor pool with a small beach. For $15 more a night the ammenities are endless. Like the other reviewers said, there are three pools total. One being a kiddie pool. The beach was huge with chairs and umbrellas to use. I was amazed that even at 4:00 both days we were there, on the lawn they provided some sort of children's entertainment. First night were clowns with bubbles, facepainting and balloon animals. The next day was a very funny juggler who was entertaining for both kids and adults. Endless towels were provided for your use. The hotel was full both nights and I didn't feel like the pool both indoor and outdoor were packed.

the place to eat near the pool wasn't cheap but there is a cost of convienience. At the other place down the beach we had to leave to get stuff. Plus there was a woman who walked the beach offering drinks. They also had jet ski, para sailing, and ocean kayaks for rent. not cheap but cheaper than buying them and dragging them all over. The bonfire was a great addition. it was so nice.

The entire place is full of kids. If you are going there to not be around kids, you are in the wrong place. For kids it is great. They were constantly entertained which is a huge plus for the parents.

We will make this our regular place for years to come. No, it's not cheap to stay there. But like I said, the other place down the street on the beach was only $15 less. It offered nothing compared to what we got here.

Great location, but time to renovate and update!

by TripAdvisor Member lbmesq

We recently returned from a one week stay at this resort and this is our second visit. While great effort has gone into the exterior and the beautiful flowers and landscape, it is time to renovate the guest rooms. For the rate that they charge per room, a more modern environment is expected. The bathrooms resemble that which one would find in a hospital and the rooms are in serious need of a face lift. I inquired twice as to when a renovation might occur and no one had a definite answer other than to say that they would check with the manager and get back to me. I never heard back. The location is lovely and it is a great place for children. The spa is a sparkling addition and the massages we had were great. The outdoor pool area is definitely a plus for the resort and wonderful for the children.
However, at those prices, the rooms should be more up to date and the cleaning staff should try a little harder! Also, for one week we were unable to have internet access and we heard many other guests grumbling about their failed attempts to gain internet access.

Our experience with the staff,overall, was positive.

Great Time!!! Very Kid Friendly

by TripAdvisor Member esqmedic

We had an awsome time! my wife and I have a 21 month old girl and the other couple we went with has 2 small children and 1 teenager as well. The resort is very kid friendly, lot of things to do for the kids. Only compliants at times was the service. The room was a riverview with a balcony which was very nice. Planning to go next year July 4th week!

Comments