Westin Waltham-Boston Hotel

Costs 25% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about Westin Waltham-Boston Hotel

good value for property, great location for rt 128 business travel

by TripAdvisor Member businesstraveller2

The Westin Waltham is just off Rt 128 on Totten Pond Rd in Waltham MA. The location is great if you have to do business along the 128 corridor. The property sits up on a hill so you don't have significant 128 noise. It is very close to several other hotel properties (but not close enough to use their wireless
from the westin :) ).

I got an excellent rate at this property.

Pros of hotel:

The westin heavenly bed is one of the high points.
Room is very quiet, looking out onto employee parking lot.

Room is pretty odor free. Westin has a new "fresh air" effort which basically means no smoking. I also check for chemical or new carpet smells and they are not too bad at this property.

Staff seems very helpful. Housekeeping and engineering
were reasonably prompt to take care of issues in my room.

Shampoo and soap products are very nice.

Oversized room and furniture are very comfortable.

Cons:

Trouble with several things in my room:
Internet was not working and had to get an engineer to call the
central office - turns out the whole starwood system was down and they had to
do a manual connection for me. This took about 30 minutes of my time which is a cardinal sin when on business travel late
at night.

The TV remote did not work well, the channel button had no effect on the TV for the first few minutes it was on, then it worked somewhat sporadically. The engineer brought a second remote which still had some problems, but worked as long as I press the button several times.

High speed internet access is only available from an ethernet cable so you have to sit at the desk or try to stretch the cable
all the way over to the bed or chair if you don't want to sit at the desk.

Furniture starting to show a little wear but still pretty good shape.

Room was a bit more dusty that I would like, especially for
a westin. IT's about par for the course for business hotel but I would expect westin to be better than average.

Carpet is a bit more plush than some hotels which may be contributing to the dust.

Absolutely worst Major hotel I ever stayed at - needs to work hard to earn 1*

by TripAdvisor Member RealGiantPanda

I stayed here for two weeks, part of a large international group having functions in this hotel. This is absolutely the worst experience with a conference like this, thanks primarily to this hotel.

In no particular order,
(1) lighting is very bad in the meeting rooms; the swimming pool is too small, various other small things that are not to be expected of a place like this.

(2) I ate lunch once at the hotel - it was clear the dishes were not washed from breakfast, only rinsed. They stunk from feet away. That was the first and last time I eat at that restaurant.

(3) The problem is that the hotel is also far from downtown Waltham. They ought to run a free shuttle to take residents the 5 or 10 min. drive to town, but they don't. So in order not to waste my lunch break walking, I had to pay taxis back and forth each time just to get to a decent lunch! Definitely don't stay there without a car.

(4) The staff is extremely rude and have no idea what customer service is.

(a) friends of mine once bought some beer from the grocery store so as to save a bit of money, only to be rudely stopped by the hotel staff at the door and scolded for bringing alcohol in, as if they are violating a law. My friends had to then sneak in their purchase from the back door like criminals. I think the hotel was just being cheap and trying to force us to buy drinks from them, at 5 times the price in the grocery store.

(b) We stayed during the World Cup Soccer. Stuffed in a conference room all day, we could only make one match, and of course this hotel being so far away from life, there are no other bars in the area. Our rooms did not carry any stations that broadcast the matches. So we ended up clustering around the bar during that 3 PM game to watch. We usually bought drinks from the bar. I myself spent at least $20- plus tips. One day, a group of us were watching the game, but for some reason didn't buy drinks. Near the end of the game, the bartender came and yelled in our ears, acting very frustrated. She asked us when will the games end and if we plan to do this every day, claiming there are "other customers" who want to use the bar but couldn't becuase of us. Nothing could be further from the truth. We were not being loud. The lobby was empty but for us. She was frustrated because we're not buying, but she has no right to yell at us. I did not come all the way to his place in the middle of nowhere to be yelled at. She could';ve at least poilitely offered us a menu and asked for our requests. No one offered me a menu for the whole hour I was sitting there.

Don't they have a concept of "GUEST"? I have never been so insulted! Many of those colleagues who were watching were international visitors, some visiting USA for the first time. This hotel ruined the reputation of the USA.

Westin should withdraw its name from this hotel, if they cared about its image. I don't think I'll ever stay in a Westin anymore.

Nicer than most, but some annoyances

by TripAdvisor Member milesdd

I booked a room online and got a good rate of $179. This was perfectly situated b/c I was in between a day in Boston and then on to Worcester.

The room is clean, bathroom well stocked. I go out of my way to find hotels that have down comforters and duvets, not bedspreads that remain unwashed thru guests - and this has a lovely bed, triple sheeted, etc.
I ordered room service - a bit expensive, but in looking at the restaurant itself, the roomservice was only about a dollar more per item, so i ate in my room. Really yummy quesadilla.

I have 2 minor complaints - TERRIBLE cable tv selections. I was here around the Tour de France and I hated that I couldn't see anything. Second - my room was quite a hike from the elevators, and also since ice/vending was near elevators - only in one place per floor, quite a hike from that.
Those are my only complaints!
Really fast check-in - and when I went to the gift store to pick up a NYTimes, the clerk said the papers were complimentary for guests, so that was nice.

I'm A Tough Reviewer

by TripAdvisor Member Vacance2006

I expected little, but was very pleased with this quiet,
easy to get to hotel. We arrived very late, after most
restaurants were closed. We were able to eat at the
Westin bar, which was actually very good. The other
night, the desk clerk was extra helpful with a restaurant
listing, offered to make a reservation and handed
us a direction sheet. He really went out of his way.
The room was large with comfortable bedding.
Parking was a hundred feet away.

Nice Hotel with Firiendly Staff

by TripAdvisor Member TechRoadWarrior

Our room was large and very attractively decoratated. It had a number of nice touches. I especially like the Starbucks coffee with the liquid cream (I really cannot stand the powdered type).

The hotel bar is nice and relaxing. As far as food we only had breakfast but the buffet was pretty tasty and i expecially liked their hash browns.

I would stay here again.

One of the better suburban hotels around

by TripAdvisor Member IAD777

I've stayed in tons of starwoods and this Westin ranks highly among suburban hotels. It's not as nice as the Westin Copley or other city center Westin's in the states...but then again, it's not in the city center. Rooms are quite large. Heavenly bed is extremely comfortable. Bathroom could use some work...very small and kind of run down and shabby. Lobby and all public spaces are quite nice, food at hotel is quite good. All in all a great choice when you have to stay in the burbs. Location right of 95 is very good. Would recommend priceline, as we payed 100 a night.

by TripAdvisor Member tiggerstripe

I Have Stayed here Several Times the Rooms are Clean Well stocked the Pool is Excellent i Found the Staf to be Extremly Friendly and Helpfull ITOTALLY Disagree with the person who posted about Bringing Alcahol into the Hotel # 1 that is ILLEGAL in Massachusetts and 2 its low Class ! i have used the meeting rooms they are Fine Plenty of Light and Very Nice ! as for the food I find it to be Great Especiallt the Sunday Brunch if you there On A Sunday Please dont Miss it! i have Never heard of Smelly Dishes ( Other poster Complianed of that !) found the Restraunt to be Very Clean and Staff to be EXCELLENT Enjoy the Westin in Waltham Mass !

Unworthy of Westin - stay elsewhere!

by TripAdvisor Member fellow_traveler2

We booked a Junior Suite for a night getaway to relieve ourselves of the stress and frenzy of Boston only to encounter headaches throughout. The room we were set up in was not ready by 3pm the check-in time so we had to wait around for 20 minutes. It smelled of cigarette smoke and we requested to be changed and were repositioned in another suite a few floors above not without having housekeeping barge in for some unexplained reason, and furthermore, when in our new room, guests with keys to our room came in too and the situation became quite hostile (apparently, the hotel failed to update our room info and reassign them a new room upon their later arrival).

Later while trying to retrieve replacement swipe card keys, as we were locked out and the keys had not been reset for the new room, the front desk clerk was downright inept so that I had to refer to the front desk manager.

It is an attractive and clean building. Of that there is no doubt. However, despite the claim to have been renovated recently, the rooms are poorly appointed and the bathrooms small and dismal. Along the hallways, unsightly room service dishes and carts were strewn in the hallway around check-in time, 3-4pm. House cleaning staff were still making their rounds and it was quite awful with all the noise. They also came by at 11am before the 12pm checkout time to ask when we would be checking out--essentially rushing us out. At checkout, another front desk clerk was initially rather unhelpful when we requested the final guest folio.

Overall, if the hotel bothered to provide a modicum of service and train up the staff, it would partially restore the reputation of Westin and what customers expect of four-star level. This hotel is very much a work in progress and, until the service/attitude issues are resolved, I suggest you stay elsewhere.

Comfy bed, disgusting sofa sleeper

by TripAdvisor Member Tim2458

My partner and I stayed at the Westin on New Year's Eve because the junior suite offered a sofa bed for Mom, who was going to visit her daughter while we went to St. Maarten. We were told the room had recently been renovated. While the main bedroom was very nice, except for the noisy and chilly HVAC system, the sofa sleeper in the sitting room was disgusting. The cushions were horribly stained, the mattress unfit for sleeping, and the coffee table chipped and stained. As much as we hated to do this, we had to put those nasty cushions on the mattress, cover them with a sheet and blanket, and use that as the bed. We had to call down to the front desk for the sleeper's blankets because there weren't any in the closet. We also had to request a remote for the TV in that parlor because it was missing. The staff were nice and accommodating. We paid $189 for the night, which included champagne and strawberries delivered to the room, two free buffet brunches the following morning, and late check-out. The brunch was excellent with a wide selection of goodies. The pool was in a dank basement at the end of a long, scary hallway. My main complaint is that this hotel's furniture needs to be replaced and kept much cleaner than it is.

Comments