Charlevoix Hotels

Our Members Say

Shorr Lodge: Shorr Lodge ~ Lake Charlevoix~ NIGHTMARE

Located on Lake Charlevoix in Boyne City Michigan. Close to Petoskey, Harbor Springs and Lake Michigan.

My experience was EXTREMELY negative.

The listing makes you believe that cottage is directly on the lake. However, you must cross a busy street to access the beach. She purposely doesnt disclose this because no one would pay what she is asking. At $3200/wk, I assure you, you can find one that is really beach front.

A “fully” stocked kitchen meant 8 plates, mugs ... for a cottage that "sleeps 12". She left her food in the drawers & compartments in the refrigerator. We did not have enough room for our food. We had to rely on coolers

The cottage had no air conditioning & no ceiling fans. It was stifiling hot. We just paid $3200, & she not provide a $20 fan?

The stocked linens were foul & smelled moldy. Had to rewash ALL towels. The owner allows 2 hours for cleaning between renters. There is no way that bedding and towels for 12 can laundrered in 2 hours. Makes me wonder if our sheets were even clean. Ewww…

I was deceived. I know people make mistakes. However, people do not forget to tell you that you must cross a road to access their beach.

The trash company requires specific garbage bags. The owner provided us with 6 small bags for 12 people for 7 days. We ran out. We left a bag on the driveway. Animals broke the bags. I immediately cleaned the mess (sweeping and hosing) and placed it in black bags ~ in a lidded garbage can in garage. The owner claims that she had to powerwash the garage and rebag the garbage. She withheld $75 in security deposit.

She promised us a free night stay and then took it back the DAY OF the free night. She said she would have to charge $200 for that night to cover cleaning expenses.???

The owner seemsfriendly at first. After the contract's signed, she'll flake (not respond to emails, phone calls).

BEWARE!!! Better yet go through a rental agency where you can use a credit card. That way if you are cheated as I was, you can dispute the charges.

Shorr Lodge: Shorr Lodge ~ Lake Charlevoix~ NIGHTMARE

This house is located ACROSS (keyword: across a busy main street) the street from Lake Charlevoix in Boyne City Michigan~ even though she stated it was "on the lake". The AREA is beautiful & close to Petoskey, Harbor Springs, and Lake Michigan.

I leave a 100% NEGATIVE on this property. I found the owner rude, unreasonable, and unfair with regards to deposit refunds. She kept the majority of my refund due to things such as additional plastic trash bags, cleaning her jucuzzi filters, and so on. Not to mention, I left something at the house of value and it conveniently could not be located after my departure (my husbands watch).

This property could really only handle 6 people comfortably~ as the rooms are tight (one is unusable), has minimal seating and dishes for 6-8. A JOKE when you have more in your party. (She calaims it can fit 8-10). Furthermore, this cottage had no air conditioning & no ceiling fans!! It gets STIFILING hot b/c many of the windows do not open.

Linens were moldy, food left in the fridge, boards on the dock were loose and a hazard, beach had biting ants, the grounds were filled with mosquitoes, and you get the feeling you are constantly under survalience (her dad lives next door and "watches you").

For the money YOU CAN DO BETTER! Go somewhere else and have a nice cabin on the water, with friendly owners who treat you with respect and offer a clean, comfortable, accepting environment.

I will NEVER stay here again & I can not stress enough, You most likely wont have any better of an experience.

Shorr Lodge: Shorr Lodge ~ Lake Charlevoix~ NIGHTMARE

This house is located ACROSS (keyword: across a busy main street) the street from Lake Charlevoix in Boyne City Michigan. The area is beautiful & close to Petoskey, Harbor Springs, and Lake Michigan.

I am in TOTAL agreement witht he other listing leaving a NEGATIVE on this property. I found the owner rude, unreasonable, and unfair with regards to deposit refunds. Not to mention, I left somehting at the house of value and it conveniently could not be located (my husbands watch).

This property could really only handle 6 people comfortably~ as the rooms are tight (one is unusable), has minimal seating and dishes for 6-8. A JOKE when you have more in your party. Furthermore, this cottage had no air conditioning & no ceiling fans!! It gets STIFILING hot b/c many of the windows do not open.

For the money.... no actually ~ just plain YOU CAN DO BETTER! Go somewhere else and have a nice cabin on the water, with friendly owners who treat you with respect and offer a clean, comfortable, accepting environment.

Sort by: Most recent | Most helpful